Forums/Armchair-GM

Prospects to Watch at Every Position

Created by: Claesson4Norris
Team: 2019-20 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 29, 2019
Published: Jul. 29, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Jonathan Gruden: after a less than impressive freshman season in college, the sens made the call to sign him so they could send him to play for the London Knights. The knights are arguably one of the best Development program in North America, so I'm expecting a big year from Jonny G. He's also been getting some traction at the USA World Junior Summer Camp, and could be a dark horse to make the team for the World Juniors.

Drake Batherson: I'm expecting Bath to come on like a bat out of hell to start the season. He was clearly way too good to be in the AHL, so he's going to be a big part of Ottawa's offense. I'm excited to see what he can do if they put him with Anisimov. If he can feed AA, there could be a wicked combo with AAs release.

Jonny Tychonick: another player currently impressing at the World Junior Summer Camp, Tychonick should be looking to take a big step forward this season. In terms of pure Athleticism, he's probably the top of the list for Sens prospects. He's going to step into a more consistent role with UND, and he's going to get to keep building chemistry with fellow Senators Jacob Bernard-Docker and Shane Pinto, which I'm pretty excited for.

Lassi Thompson: Virtually a lock to be a top contributor for The Finnish Junior Team, Lassi is taking a big leap this year, leaving the WHL to play pro hockey in Finland. He's quickly climbing my prospect ranks, and the season hasn't even started. He can do everything. Sens have real player on their hands.

Marcus Hogberg: Hog is the most NHL ready goalie prospect in the Ottawa system, and I would put money on him finishing the season in the NHL. Assuming Andy gets dealt at some point, Nilsson and Hogberg will be the tandem for the next few years in all likelyhood.

Mark Kastelic: this one is a little off the wall, but I think he's going to have a decent season in the AHL this year. As an over ager, its unlikely his upside is super high, but there's a lot to like in his game. He brings some size and a lot of nastiness to his game, and optimistically he could maybe be a replacement for a zach smith type.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
3$925,000
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
6$81,500,000$36,381,248$0$20,000$45,118,752
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$815,833$815,833
LW
RFA - 4
$736,666$736,666 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
C, RW
RFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000
LD
RFA
$925,000$925,000
RD
RFA - 5
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 30, 2019 at 12:11 a.m.
Banned
Incredible!

Really hoping Batherson makes some magic in the NHL!
LAssi4Norris2022
Claesson4Norris liked this.
Jul. 30, 2019 at 12:19 a.m.
Quoting: Babar
Incredible!

Really hoping Batherson makes some magic in the NHL!
LAssi4Norris2022

Semi hot take: I think Batherson finishes top five in Calder voting, and is either 1st or 2nd in points for forwards in Ottawa. The sky is the limit with him.

Every day I fall more and more in love with Lassi Thompson. I mean look at this! https://twitter.com/DraftDynasty1/status/1155555772195098625?s=19
Babar liked this.
Jul. 30, 2019 at 12:25 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
Semi hot take: I think Batherson finishes top five in Calder voting, and is either 1st or 2nd in points for forwards in Ottawa. The sky is the limit with him.

Every day I fall more and more in love with Lassi Thompson. I mean look at this! https://twitter.com/DraftDynasty1/status/1155555772195098625?s=19

That was unreal footage! He will be something for the Sens someday! We went off the board for almost all our picks, looks like it will pay off!

In Bath We Trust
Claesson4Norris liked this.
Jul. 30, 2019 at 4:28 a.m.
I'd love to see Bath on Anisimov's wing with Duclair. He was electrifying to watch!

Something I thought about after the Nilsson signing and reminded of when you brought up Hogberg is: How long do you see Nilsson staying (past his new 2-year deal) and who do you see taking the reigns if we don't acquire another goalie through trades or FA? I'd say it's Hogberg's 'job to lose' at this point, but I liked what I saw out of Daccord and I think he'll be ready in another season or two. I'm worried about Gus and hoping he can recover from last season and get through the growing pains of the transition to NA and return to his WJ and SHL form.

There's lots of talent in the pipeline right now and it's going to be exciting watching them develop!
Jul. 30, 2019 at 7:06 a.m.
Quoting: Kaifin
I'd love to see Bath on Anisimov's wing with Duclair. He was electrifying to watch!

Something I thought about after the Nilsson signing and reminded of when you brought up Hogberg is: How long do you see Nilsson staying (past his new 2-year deal) and who do you see taking the reigns if we don't acquire another goalie through trades or FA? I'd say it's Hogberg's 'job to lose' at this point, but I liked what I saw out of Daccord and I think he'll be ready in another season or two. I'm worried about Gus and hoping he can recover from last season and get through the growing pains of the transition to NA and return to his WJ and SHL form.

There's lots of talent in the pipeline right now and it's going to be exciting watching them develop!

I think Duclair and Batherson could be magic together. They both can shoot, but more importantly they're both really strong skating and really good at cycling the puck down low. If you park Anisimov in the slot and try and get him the puck, he can rip it as well as anyone.

I think Nilsson's future depends on a few things.
First is obviously His play, because if he stinks he definitely won't be brought back.
Second would be how the Development of Gustavsson progresses. Ideally I think Gustavsson should be ready to step into the starter spot, or at very least a 1a 1b scenario with Hogberg, who I see as more of a backup.
Third, and maybe most importantly, is what happens with the Seattle Expansion Draft. The Sens would have to leave two of Nilsson, Hogberg or Gustavsson exposed, so it's pretty likely that Seattle would try to scoop one of those three. I think if you protect Gus and lose Hogberg, you probably bring Nilsson back to help prop up Gus for a season as he settles in as a starter. Hopefully Sogaard is ready to push for an NHL job by then.

Honestly though, Ottawa has such a deep crop of young goalies, there are so many options for what our goaltending situation could look like in the future. Hogberg will be a regular NHL goalie, even though I think he tops out as a back up, and he's probably going to start this season if Ottawa can move Craig Anderson at the deadline. I think Sogaard and Gustavsson both have pretty high upside as NHL starters. I personally think Sogaard is our most skilled goalie prospect, but he's still a good 4-5 years out. I reaaally love Joey Daccord, and would love to see him succeed in Ottawa, I don't really have a great sense of where he's at. I think we'll have a better sense after this season, but I think his upside could be as a backup.
Kaifin liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll