Forums/Armchair-GM

Zucker

Created by: Oilyboy
Team: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 31, 2019
Published: Jul. 31, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Minny looks weak at the LD position in their pipeline. When Suter is done being top pair in a year or two, Samoukov will likely bolster that side. Pulju is a flyer winger for them in their new GM's remaking of the roster. Gagner to offset a little cap only this year. The third rd pick added as a kicker.

Projections for this team:

Zucker: 29-25-54 McD: 41-76-117 Neal: 18-17-35

Granlund: 13-14-27 Draisaitl: 38-52-90 Chiasson: 17-14-31

Nygard: 11-14-25 RNH: 21-39-60 Kassian: 13-12-25

Khaira: 8-16-24 Haas (60gp): 4-10-14 Archibald: 10-10-20

Jurco (35gp): 2-5-7
Currie (30gp): 4-4-8

Klefbom: 6-31-37 Larsson: 3-20-23
Nurse: 11-42-43 Russell: 3-17-20
Jones (65gp): 2-11-13 Benning: 4-17-21
Persson (40gp): 2-10-12

Would give the Oil 260 foals for, good for 10th in the league last year. The Oilers had 271 goals against on a team sv% of .896. If Smith an Koskinen can just replicate Koskinen's numbers last year (.906sv%), assuming the same amount of shots (2599), the Oil would have 245 goals agains. A plus 15 differential would have been 7th in the conference last year. So this move and these results mean a push fora wildcard spot most likely.
Trades
MIN
  1. Gagner, Sam
  2. Puljujärvi, Jesse [RFA Rights]
  3. Samorukov, Dmitri
  4. 2021 3rd round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$80,924,499$0$2,457,500$575,501
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 7
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$1,300,000$1,300,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 1
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 6
$2,150,000$2,150,000
RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$1,950,000$1,950,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
UFA - 4
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000 (Performance Bonus$1,750,000$2M)
G
NTC
UFA - 1
$720,000$720,000 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$687,500$687,500
RW, C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 31, 2019 at 9:53 a.m.
A trade for Zucker is probably doable as it seems the Wild have lost faith and looking to move him. If the Oilers have the $5.5M to spend on a winger for McDavid, then I like to see them make a $500,000 upgrade, and deal for Nikolaj Ehlers. It is my opinion that to fully utilize McDavid’s skills, the Oilers need look for wingers with comparable speed. Ehlers has the wheels and the hands. On a line with McDavid, I think it is reasonable he could reach 50 goals.

That extra $500,000 targets a 23 year old locked into a 6 year deal without a movement clause. The money would be well spent.

Ehlers won’t come cheap, but if there was ever a time to pry him out of Winnipeg, it is now. Do the Oilers have the assets Winnipeg would covet?
From the Jets prospective, if was strictly a salary dump there are other forwards which Cheveldayoff would probably move first. Given his age, his ability to score on a
deep team, I would have to believe Ehlers is untouchable at this time.
CD282 liked this.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 9:57 a.m.
The Spawn is back
Quoting: Hawksince71
A trade for Zucker is probably doable as it seems the Wild have lost faith and looking to move him. If the Oilers have the $5.5M to spend on a winger for McDavid, then I like to see them make a $500,000 upgrade, and deal for Nikolaj Ehlers. It is my opinion that to fully utilize McDavid’s skills, the Oilers need look for wingers with comparable speed. Ehlers has the wheels and the hands. On a line with McDavid, I think it is reasonable he could reach 50 goals.

That extra $500,000 targets a 23 year old locked into a 6 year deal without a movement clause. The money would be well spent.

Ehlers won’t come cheap, but if there was ever a time to pry him out of Winnipeg, it is now. Do the Oilers have the assets Winnipeg would covet?
From the Jets prospective, if was strictly a salary dump there are other forwards which Cheveldayoff would probably move first. Given his age, his ability to score on a

Pretty sure WPG would want Nurse back, which, compared to the Zucker trade proposed here, would probably make for a worse result for the Oilers.

McD already has the perfect winger in Drai, but of course it would be nice to split them up. However, if Zucker would play better with Nuge, then Nuge has a great winger that can finally play with him.

Ehlers would be amazing, but I really think Nurse is who WPG wants in that scenario.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 10:01 a.m.
Quoting: oilsince95
Pretty sure WPG would want Nurse back, which, compared to the Zucker trade proposed here, would probably make for a worse result for the Oilers.

McD already has the perfect winger in Drai, but of course it would be nice to split them up. However, if Zucker would play better with Nuge, then Nuge has a great winger that can finally play with him.

Ehlers would be amazing, but I really think Nurse is who WPG wants in that scenario.

I think i trade nurse for ehlers now and try to sign a jake gardiner for 3 years or so to bridge gap with prospects. Nurse is going to cost more than he's worth in a year so it's preventing a future mistake in my opinion my making the move this year. Broberg, Jones, Samorukov one should be top 4 capable within 3 years when gardiner deal is done and i think there isn't much drop off between gardiner and nurse right now, so the trade/signing makes edmonton much better.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 10:06 a.m.

The Wild have not lost faith in Zucker. Former GM Fenton (feels so good to say that) lost faith in him. The owner put the kibosh on any Zucker trade after Kessel backed out. Zucker is our guy. All that being said, your trade looks fair. I just don't see us doing it.
CD282 liked this.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 10:23 a.m.
The Spawn is back
Quoting: Ryryguy4
I think i trade nurse for ehlers now and try to sign a jake gardiner for 3 years or so to bridge gap with prospects. Nurse is going to cost more than he's worth in a year so it's preventing a future mistake in my opinion my making the move this year. Broberg, Jones, Samorukov one should be top 4 capable within 3 years when gardiner deal is done and i think there isn't much drop off between gardiner and nurse right now, so the trade/signing makes edmonton much better.

Gardiner will be 5 million at least, so the Oil could not afford both moves right now without getting rid of high picks alongside a dump. Still don't see a great fit.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 1:45 p.m.
Gardiner will be 5 million at least, so the Oil could not afford both moves right now without getting rid of high picks alongside a dump. Still don't see a great fit.

it's July 31 and he still hasn't signed. How many teams can afford to pay him that? I think he is worth $5M per but not sure what he will actually get.
Aug. 1, 2019 at 12:19 p.m.

You are right. Nurse is probably the only player Winnipeg would covet. It could work if someone from the farm is ready to step up and replace Nurse’s role. Bearing that, the Oilers are reeling in defence and losing Nurse, would add to their defensive weakness. There many positives to making this deal. I can’t argue the line of McDavid and Draisaitl, but I prefer Draisaitl playing his natural centre position, giving the Oilers two “dangerous offensive lines. Pair them up on the PP. All teams having a legitimate shot at the cup have two productive lines. With the Oilers up against the cap, it may be hard press to work my fantasy. Solid goaltending and they should be a playoff bound club. Love to say Draisaitl have a better year than last year
Aug. 1, 2019 at 12:28 p.m.
The Spawn is back
You are right. Nurse is probably the only player Winnipeg would covet. It could work if someone from the farm is ready to step up and replace Nurse’s role. Bearing that, the Oilers are reeling in defence and losing Nurse, would add to their defensive weakness. There many positives to making this deal. I can’t argue the line of McDavid and Draisaitl, but I prefer Draisaitl playing his natural centre position, giving the Oilers two “dangerous offensive lines. Pair them up on the PP. All teams having a legitimate shot at the cup have two productive lines. With the Oilers up against the cap, it may be hard press to work my fantasy. Solid goaltending and they should be a playoff bound club. Love to say Draisaitl have a better year than last year

I think that if the Oilers did a Nurse for Ehlers swap, they should dole out a lot for Erik Gustafsson in Chicago. 1 year at 1.2 mil...if Chi doesn't think they will resign him given the loads of D they now have going forward, give him a shot as our puck moving 2LD. I would offer something like Bear, a 2nd and a 5th for him and see what Chi says. Combined with Ehlers, that would be a real threat.
Aug. 1, 2019 at 12:44 p.m.
I think that if the Oilers did a Nurse for Ehlers swap, they should dole out a lot for Erik Gustafsson in Chicago. 1 year at 1.2 mil...if Chi doesn't think they will resign him given the loads of D they now have going forward, give him a shot as our puck moving 2LD. I would offer something like Bear, a 2nd and a 5th for him and see what Chi says. Combined with Ehlers, that would be a real threat.

Chicago is my favourite club. From what I am reading , he is not in the Hawks future plans. Even if he exceeds expectations this season, Chicago will need to pay salaries to DeBrincat & Strome next season and a goaltender. Gustafsson will simply be out of Chicago’s budget. He would be welcome addition to the Oilers if they can afford him. If he hits 15+ goals this year, then he is going to get a big pay day.
Aug. 1, 2019 at 1:52 p.m.
The Spawn is back
Chicago is my favourite club. From what I am reading , he is not in the Hawks future plans. Even if he exceeds expectations this season, Chicago will need to pay salaries to DeBrincat & Strome next season and a goaltender. Gustafsson will simply be out of Chicago’s budget. He would be welcome addition to the Oilers if they can afford him. If he hits 15+ goals this year, then he is going to get a big pay day.

Very interesting. For the Oilers, I would love to bring him in this year to challenge Nurse. If Gustafsson outshines Nurse on the PP and in transition, and is at least adequate in his own end, then it would make trading Nurse for a top 6 winger a reality.

What would you look for, reasonably, in a trade for Gustafsson? Does my proposal sound close?
Aug. 1, 2019 at 1:52 p.m.
The Spawn is back
Very interesting. For the Oilers, I would love to bring him in this year to challenge Nurse. If Gustafsson outshines Nurse on the PP and in transition, and is at least adequate in his own end, then it would make trading Nurse for a top 6 winger a much safer reality.

What would you look for, reasonably, in a trade for Gustafsson? Does my proposal sound close?
Aug. 1, 2019 at 2:10 p.m.
Quoting: Ryryguy4
I think i trade nurse for ehlers now and try to sign a jake gardiner for 3 years or so to bridge gap with prospects.

Great plan, where is the cap space going to come from though?
Oilyboy liked this.
Aug. 4, 2019 at 5:15 p.m.
Very interesting. For the Oilers, I would love to bring him in this year to challenge Nurse. If Gustafsson outshines Nurse on the PP and in transition, and is at least adequate in his own end, then it would make trading Nurse for a top 6 winger a reality.

I think the Hawks will play Gustafsson for the season. It probably will be how Boqvist’s develops at training camp and AHL. I suspect Chicago is in no rush to have him play with the big club, until later in the season (the trading deadline) and question will be can he step in a have a role on the team. Will his play make it make tempting to move Gustafsson at that time. Will Gustafsson’s stock rise by early March? Will moving him during a post season push make the team better. Of course, if the Blackhawks struggle again this season, moving him at the trading deadline will be easier. I think at this point the Hawks value his contribution into the postseason. I think Bowman hopes he has a repeat or better season than last year (his stock rises) and then it becomes harder to keep him after March.

As for what is a reasonable trade, I think Chicago would like a draft pick. By the deadline, the Hawks will know what their weaknesses are, and make the trades needed. I like what Bowman has done in the off season. They obviously needed help on defence, keeping the puck out of the net (2nd in goals against last year) The club has more depth at the start of this season.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll