The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 31, 2019 at 9:24 a.m.
i hope ur hungry now
What will it be for
Jul. 31, 2019 at 9:32 a.m.
Quoting: SpaghettiPasta
What will it be for

loaded question, I THINK it will be less than expected. but I HOPE/WANT it to be above 10/10.5
Jul. 31, 2019 at 9:34 a.m.
Still a Leafs Fan
Depends when the signing happens and the term

Anywhere between 2-3yrs will be a 8.75-9.5 range
5-6yrs will be a 9.5-10.25 range
7-8 is north of 10.5
Jul. 31, 2019 at 10:00 a.m.
Why would he take less than Matthews.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 1:55 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: SpaghettiPasta
What will it be for

Quoting: hanson493
loaded question, I THINK it will be less than expected. but I HOPE/WANT it to be above 10/10.5

Quoting: Rodzikhockey93
Depends when the signing happens and the term

Anywhere between 2-3yrs will be a 8.75-9.5 range
5-6yrs will be a 9.5-10.25 range
7-8 is north of 10.5

Quoting: matulix

Jeremy Roenick said that the absolute maximum offer he’d provide Mitch Marner is 8 years worth 6.85 million dollars AAV. Stated that he’s not better than Anders Lee.
SpaghettiPasta liked this.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 2:01 p.m.
Still a Leafs Fan
Quoting: BrandonDubinskyGOAT
Jeremy Roenick said that the absolute maximum offer he’d provide Mitch Marner is 8 years worth 6.85 million dollars AAV. Stated that he’s not better than Anders Lee.

Jeremy Roenick is a pimple on the a** of society
Aug. 2, 2019 at 2:01 p.m.

Love JR he is the man.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 2:10 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Love JR he is the man.

Do you think he is a HOFer?
Aug. 2, 2019 at 2:15 p.m.
Do you think he is a HOFer?

yeah, Roenick was great everywhere he went.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 2:18 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
yeah, Roenick was great everywhere he went.

No doubt, but would you say he was better than Kariya?
Aug. 2, 2019 at 2:20 p.m.
No doubt, but would you say he was better than Kariya?

different player types. kariya was a better playmaker, more agile, skill guy. Roenick was more physical and played a better 2 way game. they arent equal but to say one is better than the other is tough.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 2:30 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
different player types. kariya was a better playmaker, more agile, skill guy. Roenick was more physical and played a better 2 way game. they arent equal but to say one is better than the other is tough.

Fair. What about Roenick and Kane?
Aug. 2, 2019 at 2:31 p.m.
Fair. What about Roenick and Kane?

which kane? patrick? patrick is better than roenick. but i dont think he survives in Roenick era hockey.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 3:18 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: matulix

Because no team in the world offering that much. So if that's all he will sign for , he's earning exactly zero dollars this season. Why are these silly Matthews comparisons made as bench mark?. He might get more than Aho which is very very close comparable.
Aug. 5, 2019 at 9:21 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
Because no team in the world offering that much. So if that's all he will sign for , he's earning exactly zero dollars this season. Why are these silly Matthews comparisons made as bench mark?. He might get more than Aho which is very very close comparable.

How is it silly? Same team gave matthews that bad contract. Dont see anything unrealistic about the guy who is performing better in every category except goals wanting more money than him. Matthews deal was literally just signed. I guess a better comp would be nylander right?
Aug. 5, 2019 at 9:32 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
How is it silly? Same team gave matthews that bad contract. Dont see anything unrealistic about the guy who is performing better in every category except goals wanting more money than him. Matthews deal was literally just signed. I guess a better comp would be nylander right?

Teams comparisons mean very little. Players are based on league wide comparisons. So while your argument "wanting" more money (than Matthews) has merit. There seems no path available for Marner to "get" more money than Matthews. Where's an offer sheet? Where's this 12m offer from the Leafs?
Just because the Leafs have overpaid for two RFA contracts it doesn't mean that tradition can or will continue. Similarly in a team signs a player to extremely "team friendly" deal, other players on that team are not compelled to sign for team friendly deals forever.
Aug. 5, 2019 at 9:57 a.m.
Teams comparisons mean very little. Players are based on league wide comparisons. So while your argument "wanting" more money (than Matthews) has merit. There seems no path available for Marner to "get" more money than Matthews. Where's an offer sheet? Where's this 12m offer from the Leafs?
Just because the Leafs have overpaid for two RFA contracts it doesn't mean that tradition can or will continue. Similarly in a team signs a player to extremely "team friendly" deal, other players on that team are not compelled to sign for team friendly deals forever.

where was the offersheet for matthews? he signed an extension mid season. there also has been an 11m offer from the leafs just longer term than what matthews signed for.
Aug. 5, 2019 at 10:07 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
where was the offersheet for matthews? he signed an extension mid season. there also has been an 11m offer from the leafs just longer term than what matthews signed for.

Your original statement "Why would he take less than Matthews". The correct answer is, if no team is offering 11.642m, he will take less than Matthews. Certainly if a team if offering a "better" contract than Matthews, Marner would have signed it already. So the conclusion must be, no team has offered Marner a Matthews type contract.
Aug. 5, 2019 at 10:27 a.m.
Your original statement "Why would he take less than Matthews". The correct answer is, if no team is offering 11.642m, he will take less than Matthews. Certainly if a team if offering a "better" contract than Matthews, Marner would have signed it already. So the conclusion must be, no team has offered Marner a Matthews type contract.

or maybe he sits out, the leafs dont have a complete roster, are forced to scramble, miss the playoffs etc. etc. Why is it matthews gets paid and marner should take less? Because another team isnt offering it so obviously he isnt worth it? How many other teams were offering matthews 11.642m when he signed his deal? Terrible argument saying that another team has to offer more. If this was UFA he would get similar to panarin. its rfa. teams arent going to give up 4 firsts and 11.5m. this is exactly the reason compensatory picks were put in place. That being said if im marner i stronghold the hell out of the leafs if you can. There is absolutely no reason he should cave other than he loses money in the long term by sitting out the year.
Aug. 5, 2019 at 10:50 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
or maybe he sits out, the leafs dont have a complete roster, are forced to scramble, miss the playoffs etc. etc. Why is it matthews gets paid and marner should take less? Because another team isnt offering it so obviously he isnt worth it? How many other teams were offering matthews 11.642m when he signed his deal? Terrible argument saying that another team has to offer more. If this was UFA he would get similar to panarin. its rfa. teams arent going to give up 4 firsts and 11.5m. this is exactly the reason compensatory picks were put in place. That being said if im marner i stronghold the hell out of the leafs if you can. There is absolutely no reason he should cave other than he loses money in the long term by sitting out the year.

You keep on going back to this silly and I'll call it silly....Matthews argument. If Marner isn't getting offered Matthews money by the Leafs or any team,,,,he's not getting that money. So if your logic is he sits out a year....well come next summer, he's still not making Matthew money.
Yes, it's a silly argument to think that Marner should be paid the 2nd or 3rd highest player in the NHL. It doesn't matter what Matthew make. The most money Marner will make this season is what an NHL team will offer him. Period. So what Matthew earns is totally irrelevant.
If you think the Leafs (apparent) offer of making Marner the 10th highest players in the league, would be caving by the Marner if he accepted it ....so be it.

Marner has the right to sign with any team with any team in the world, including the NHL. The Leafs aren't holding him back at all. Heck if you think he's such a great deal at 11.6tm, maybe the Bruins should sign him.
Aug. 5, 2019 at 11:07 a.m.
You keep on going back to this silly and I'll call it silly....Matthews argument. If Marner isn't getting offered Matthews money by the Leafs or any team,,,,he's not getting that money. So if your logic is he sits out a year....well come next summer, he's still not making Matthew money.
Yes, it's a silly argument to think that Marner should be paid the 2nd or 3rd highest player in the NHL. It doesn't matter what Matthew make. The most money Marner will make this season is what an NHL team will offer him. Period. So what Matthew earns is totally irrelevant.
If you think the Leafs (apparent) offer of making Marner the 10th highest players in the league, would be caving by the Marner if he accepted it ....so be it.

Marner has the right to sign with any team with any team in the world, including the NHL. The Leafs aren't holding him back at all. Heck if you think he's such a great deal at 11.6tm, maybe the Bruins should sign him.

A.) I never said that it was a great deal for the team, I dont want the bruins signing 3 guys to 11+m contracts. B.) Marner has been the leafs best player for 2 years in a row, why should he take 3rd best money if hes the best on the team (not getting into advanced analytics and corsi w/wo tavares and whatnot). C.) Again because its RFA he isnt getting offered matthews money. but your own team offered matthews that deal early and set the market for guys on their own team. Its not marner or matthews fault that marner has outproduced matthews in all areas except goals scored for 2 years in a row. D.) purely hypothetical, if matthews only gets offered 9.5 would you give marner more? or are you only not touching 11.642 because you know matthews contract is too high to begin with.
Aug. 5, 2019 at 12:07 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
A.) I never said that it was a great deal for the team, I dont want the bruins signing 3 guys to 11+m contracts. B.) Marner has been the leafs best player for 2 years in a row, why should he take 3rd best money if hes the best on the team (not getting into advanced analytics and corsi w/wo tavares and whatnot). C.) Again because its RFA he isnt getting offered matthews money. but your own team offered matthews that deal early and set the market for guys on their own team. Its not marner or matthews fault that marner has outproduced matthews in all areas except goals scored for 2 years in a row. D.) purely hypothetical, if matthews only gets offered 9.5 would you give marner more? or are you only not touching 11.642 because you know matthews contract is too high to begin with.

Your Matthews argument is irrelevant to the Leafs. Leafs only have to pay what they want to pay. The only leverage Marner has is an offer sheet or to sit out which doesn't get him the 11.6m which you and maybe even Marner thinks he is entitled too. And I understand Marner's logic in thinking he deserves Matthews money. But it doesn't matter. If no such money is forthcoming from the Leafs or any team, he ain't getting that much.
By your logic if a team that signs it's star player to a team friendly deal, the next waive of RFAs are limited in salary to that one star. Heck no...it's NHL comparables that are most revelant in negotiations and arbirtration. So teams aren't going to cap friendly deals forever just because one star has one. By the same token if a team (let's say the Leafs) overpaid an RFA (let's says Matthews and/or Nylander) they are until no obligation to continue that tradition. But of course anti Leaf arguments will always say the Leaf HAVE too.
By the way, these negotiations "aren't my team". It's the Toronto Maple Leafs/MLSE who are trying to negotiate deals for their 50 pro players. I've tried to present logical arguments why Marner isn't entitled to paid the third highest player in league. Seems like the 30 teams feel the same way, other wise Marner could have signed a contract with those teams.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit