SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Colorado Avalanche signed Samuel Girard (7 Years / $5,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 31, 2019 at 1:11 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
he's a great player and all, but why is he being prioritized over Rantanen
Jul. 31, 2019 at 1:36 p.m.
Jesus murphy!! awesome deal. colorado is going to be so good for so long. Rantanen better demand a boat load or as a leafs fan im going to be extremely jealous and frustrated more than i already am!
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 1:46 p.m.
Aves could have had Jack Johnson and a 2nd rounder for 2 million less instead. Poor move. Now they can't resign rantanin. Gonna have to give him away.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 1:49 p.m.
IG vincemark78
Quoting: tp47
I believe this is the current status of that trade for Colorado - really embracing the youth movement.

Gave up:

- Matt Duchene (28 yo, C)

Received (signed):
- Bowen Byram (18 yo, LHD)
- Sam Girard (21 yo, LHD)
- Vladislav Kamenev (22 yo, C)
- Shane Bowers (20 yo, C)

Received (unsigned):
- Justus Annunen (19 yo, G)
- Danila Zhuravlyov (19 yo, LHD)
- Matthew Stienburg (18 yo, C)

Yea but now duchene signed with a division rival.

Whatre the chances he swings a playoff series between those teams.. could be multiple times in the next 3 years

If they had prioritized signing him maybe they actually win a cup earlier in their window.

Could go the other way, and maybe he never signs there, but lets not kid ourselves: matt duchene is one helluva player who could potentially win some hardware of his own.

Johansen duchene turris bonino is best center depth in the league, imagine if turris wakes up this year.

Edit: overall good deal tho if he doesn't fall off a cliff production wise, does really depend on his increased production; if he stagnates or gets worse this deal blows chunks but the odds of that are lower than him improving... prolly
Jul. 31, 2019 at 2:04 p.m.
Quoting: klondikebar

Because all the big RFA's are waiting for someone else (likely Marner) to set the market. It will take a while before Rantanen signs an extension. He's probably not that happy with the Aho contract as his comparable
Jul. 31, 2019 at 2:11 p.m.
I still marvel at the Duchene trade. Of the 3 teams involved, only COL won (as of now). They got 2 top 4 D, including Byrum who could be a stud. OTT got crushed in the short term but salvaged a nice stockpile of future assets when they traded him to CBJ (still disastrous), overall. Finally, NSH lost huge as Turris has been a disappointment so far, especially at $6M AAV now as a 3rd line C. Maybe Turris can rebound as a second line W. We'll see.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 2:29 p.m.
Quoting: vmark
Yea but now duchene signed with a division rival.

Whatre the chances he swings a playoff series between those teams.. could be multiple times in the next 3 years

If they had prioritized signing him maybe they actually win a cup earlier in their window.

Could go the other way, and maybe he never signs there, but lets not kid ourselves: matt duchene is one helluva player who could potentially win some hardware of his own.

Johansen duchene turris bonino is best center depth in the league, imagine if turris wakes up this year.

Edit: overall good deal tho if he doesn't fall off a cliff production wise, does really depend on his increased production; if he stagnates or gets worse this deal blows chunks but the odds of that are lower than him improving... prolly

Sure, having a great player like Duchene go to a division rival hurts, but that's not something you'd expect at the time of the trade. Ottawa had just come off a strong year, had no true 1C and is close to his hometown, so it seemed like a good fit for him. And most importantly, Duchene requested a trade because he felt Colorado was going to be rebuilding again and didn't want to be a part of it. So it's not like Sakic "didn't prioritize signing him".

I don't think Colorado would be closer to winning if Duchene had stayed around. Sure, he's better than any Colorado center besides MacKinnon. But Colorado had absolutely no strength/solid prospects in their LHD. Who was there? Zadorov, Beauchemin, Nemeth, Barberio, Lindholm, Gelinas? Getting monster upgrades in Girard and Byram will help Colorado much more, as they have decent Duchene replacements in Kadri, Jost, Compher, Newhook.
OldNYIfan and rollie1967 liked this.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 2:57 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Quoting: Brian2016
Wow! What does Werenski get on a ,long term deal? $8M? More???

Jul. 31, 2019 at 2:58 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Quoting: FedererSmooth
Jesus murphy!! awesome deal. colorado is going to be so good for so long. Rantanen better demand a boat load or as a leafs fan im going to be extremely jealous and frustrated more than i already am!

You better hope not because if he does, marner is getting more
Jul. 31, 2019 at 3:31 p.m.
Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan

Seth Jones has to be one of the best value D's in the league. Werenski is nowhere close defensively or even offensively for that matter.
FedererSmooth liked this.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 3:41 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Quoting: Brian2016
Seth Jones has to be one of the best value D's in the league. Werenski is nowhere close defensively or even offensively for that matter.

Seth jones was a steal and should never be used to discuss market value, and werenskis offense is nothing to sneeze at, hes an amazing PP QB
rollie1967 and FedererSmooth liked this.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 5:30 p.m.
habs_fan
mete please do something like this
Jul. 31, 2019 at 5:57 p.m.
Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan
Seth jones was a steal and should never be used to discuss market value, and werenskis offense is nothing to sneeze at, hes an amazing PP QB

Werenski has 25 PPP in his last 2 seasons combined. Terrible. He had an incredible rookie season but has been terrible on the PP ever since. CBJ's PP is also one of the worst in the league. He's actually very overrated.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 7:16 p.m.
GM67
Terrific Signing now because in the longterm they could have most likely locked up a player who could demand more in the future as he continues to develop. I think he is a very strong player with lots of upside. This is a great contract for Samuel because he gets guaranteed money basically and can just get to work for the next 7 years at a very good NHL living while being an anchor to the Avs Blueline which is strong and moving in the right direction as is the team. They worried a few years back but I think they have learned from their past mistakes and are on a good path forward. They need to lock down their top guys as soon as possible and get to work on the ice. This organization can win the Cup if they make a few good moves.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 7:48 p.m.
His contract is a steal. Parayko was 5.5M for 4 Years, and to see Girard get 5M for 7 Years to me is preposterous. Girard could have taken way more money.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 7:49 p.m.
Quoting: klondikebar

Because Rantanen is carried by MacKinnon, he has to prove his worth this year before he gets the big deal he wants.
Aug. 1, 2019 at 5:18 a.m.
Go Flames Go!
Thats a lot of money and a very big term, but he's young and i think he will prove that he deserves this contract.

To me RIGHT NOW is an overpayment, but i sad the same thing about Slavin's contract. So we'll see.
palhal liked this.
Aug. 1, 2019 at 8:27 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Lilka
Thats a lot of money and a very big term, but he's young and i think he will prove that he deserves this contract.

To me RIGHT NOW is an overpayment, but i sad the same thing about Slavin's contract. So we'll see.

Hamonic was I believe the first player to sign such contract under the new CBA. Florida paid a somewhat unproven Matheson 4.8m long term. Leafs apparently had the opportunity last summer to Marner at 8m X 8 years. It looked too much then....but now it looks like a bargain. You're right......well see.
Aug. 1, 2019 at 8:38 a.m.
BOLT LOVER
Really puts Boston with Carlo in tough spot contract wise
Aug. 1, 2019 at 11:41 a.m.
This is the type of gamble that seems worthwhile. He is the right age, has made the right amount of progress, has the right skill set, and this is the right amount of money to really gain something. In reality, as long as he doesn't turn out to be a bottom pair talent, this will a very good bet. If he turns into a good #3 this is a solid team-friendly deal, and there is potential this turns into a very very big value.

I have seen Girard play a little, and he seems to be quite mobile and heady with the puck, and those tend to be the best bets. His microstats show that he is good at moving the puck up the ice and out of his zone, and in general, those type of D seem to progress better in the long run.
Aug. 1, 2019 at 12:39 p.m.
Quoting: DonkeyLips
Aves could have had Jack Johnson and a 2nd rounder for 2 million less instead. Poor move. Now they can't resign rantanin. Gonna have to give him away.

Loooool what are you talking about
avaholic21 liked this.
Aug. 1, 2019 at 2:33 p.m.
Quoting: DonkeyLips

Most laughable thing I have read all day. This deal doesnt even apply to this year. No problems next year either. Math is hard isnt it?
IconicHawk liked this.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 6:44 a.m.
Quoting: DDoverChucky
5 million! That's too high at this stage

For a guy who successfully played 1st pairing at just 20 years old? Nope.

It's a smoking deal.
Aug. 3, 2019 at 12:46 p.m.
Quoting: avaholic21
Most laughable thing I have read all day. This deal doesnt even apply to this year. No problems next year either. Math is hard isnt it?

How can they afford rontenann now?
Aug. 4, 2019 at 1:17 p.m.
93in93
This is the new NHL $5M*7 for potential.

Girard still hasn't proven he's more than a 2nd pairing guy, his possession stats are below average despite high offensive zone starts, he doesn't hit, he had more giveaways than any D other than Cole and tied for 68th among Dmen scoring overall & 89th among NHL D in even strength scoring. There is a decent chance he becomes a left handed Tyson Barrie but just as much of a chance he becomes a left handed Troy Stetcher, though actually Stetcher has better possession numbers and hits more.

I'm not saying this is a bad signing but I wouldn't be high fiving either were I a Colorado fan

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit