Forums/Armchair-GM

trade col

Created by: pharrow
Team: 2019-20 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 2, 2019
Published: Aug. 2, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
So I think this might be one of the best fits for JJ.
Colorado likes the more physical defense man on that 3rd pair, and JJ is a hitting machine. I think JJ would also benefit from a different system that doesn't leave him on 2 on 1s all the time.
Colorado needs help on the blue line, they have the space. He's a relatively easy piece for them to send to Seattle in 2 years.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,800,000
Trades
PIT
  1. 2020 7th round pick (COL)
Additional Details:
Colorado has blue line issues.
Cole should be their 3rd pair guy and I like Cole as a defense man, but he's not expected to be back at the start of the season having undergone surgery on both hips. Honestly he might not be back at all. On top of it, he's a penalty machine. But I think Colorado likes having a heavier defense man back there like Cole to lay the hits.
If Cole doesn't come back you are looking at Connauton and Graves as replacements. They also have a LD in Barberio playing 3rd pairing on the R side. None of those guys are really great.
Their defense is a mess, when you consider Erik Johnson had shoulder surgery to recover from and not expected to start the season.
They could use some help on the blueline and they have the cap space to do it. On top of it their cap opens up even more next year so they got room. Byram was drafted but he's probably not playing this year. He will need a year or two to get in. So if they aren't expecting Cole to return they need a stop gap, JJ is perfect, he's physical, and he'd be playing his natural side. He's also cheaper than Cole who would go on LTIR.
If Cole comes back you can put Cole on the R and JJ on the L.
As Colorado doesn't really have any bad contracts, they can dump JJ onto Seattle in 2 years. Having got what they needed out of him.
It's a pretty solid fit. Even if the penguins retained 500k it would still work out for the penguins.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the COL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$75,957,500$132,500$2,850,000$5,542,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$4,900,000$4,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,050,000$2,050,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 3
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 2, 2019 at 3:10 p.m.
Let me stop you right there and tell you the avs do not have blue line issues. find another team to dump jj to.
JeffW, justaBoss and zdiamond1919 liked this.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 3:14 p.m.
Lol. When did Jack Johnson become physical? He was always soft in Columbus and soft in LA before that. Also Colorado doesn’t need Johnson, and the 3 guys you named are all better and I believe younger then Jack is. I think Pittsburgh is stuck with him, or they’ll have to pay someone to take him.
zdiamond1919 liked this.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 3:15 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow
the aves do have blue line issues. You are high if you don't see that.

Yeah Girard, Makar, EJ, Zadorov, Timmins, Cole, Barberio, and Byram are a group that definitely needs a JJ
hanson493 and zdiamond1919 liked this.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 3:16 p.m.
Dr.

Lol they picked up like 3 other defense who are at the same level as jack johnson for that reason. You need to take another look
Aug. 2, 2019 at 3:18 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: feds91stammer
Yeah Girard, Makar, EJ, Zadorov, Timmins, Cole, Barberio, and Byram are a group that definitely needs a JJ

you clearly didn't read. Cole had surgery on both hips, not expected to start the season, he's unknown if he'll even play this year or if he does what he'll look like..
EJ had shoulder surgery, not expected to start the season.
They will have issues on their 3rd pairing. So please come back to reality.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 3:18 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Ajp_18
Lol. When did Jack Johnson become physical? He was always soft in Columbus and soft in LA before that. Also Colorado doesn’t need Johnson, and the 3 guys you named are all better and I believe younger then Jack is. I think Pittsburgh is stuck with him, or they’ll have to pay someone to take him.

Johnson has always been physical. All he does is hit people and block shots.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 3:19 p.m.
you clearly didn't read. Cole had surgery on both hips, not expected to start the season, he's unknown if he'll even play this year or if he does what he'll look like..

In this reality JJ is apparently a competent NHL player?

And of course I didn't read your essay. You didn't follow proper APA formatting.
hanson493 and gregb569 liked this.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 3:23 p.m.
Banned
In this reality JJ is apparently a competent NHL player?

And of course I didn't read your essay. You didn't follow proper APA formatting.

JJ isn't a bad player on his natural side. Especially when he plays on the 3rd pairing.
Penguins played him on the R side and on the 2nd pairing last year.
If you watched hockey you would know that.
He's serviceable in limited role on his natural side. And for 1-2 years it's a solid move. You dump him to seattle who you have to give a player and a sweetener keep off your good players after that.
This is not a long term deal, it's short term to help fill the gap, they can easily do this and it's worth the effort.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 3:24 p.m.
JJ isn't a bad player on his natural side. Especially when he plays on the 3rd pairing.
He's serviceable in limited role on his natural side. And for 1-2 years it's a solid move. You dump him to seattle who you have to give a player and a sweetener keep off your good players after that.
This is not a long term deal, it's short term to help fill the gap, they can easily do this and it's worth the effort.

JJ hasn't been serviceable in like 7 years...

If he was you wouldn't dump him for a 7th and every PIT ACGM wouldn't be focused on dumping him.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 3:29 p.m.
Biased Opinion
Quoting: ArakinSkywalker
Lol they picked up like 3 other defense who are at the same level as jack johnson for that reason. You need to take another look

If he was you wouldn't dump him for a 7th and every PIT ACGM wouldn't be focused on dumping him.

Quoting: hanson493
Let me stop you right there and tell you the avs do not have blue line issues. find another team to dump jj to.

Was going to chirp but I see you fellas got it well in hand. Carry on
hanson493, ArakinSkywalker, zdiamond1919 and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 3:30 p.m.

So colorado should give up a 7th and take his contract for short term and then add in a sweetener to seattle for them to take jj... do you see where youve messed this up. JJ hasnt been good for a few years. ide rather pay mcquaid 750k take kevan miller with a bum knee, or john moore before i took jj.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 3:31 p.m.
Banned

The penguins would keep him if it wasn't for cap issues. You have to make a cut somewhere when you are against the cap. 3 teams chased him last year in the off season, don't tell me he isn't serviceable, if he wasn't that wouldn't have happened . He got placed out of position last year on the Right side, he should have never been there. In like 20 some games on the LHD side last year he ended up a +16 and had 233 hits and 147 shot blocks. Don't tell me your 3rd pairing couldn't use that. It could. Especially if it's cheaper than Cole who might spend the year on LTIR. Hell with 500k retained you are looking at 2.7 million. It's not a bad idea for colorado who's looking for that kind of player on it's 3rd pairing. Right now they are looking at starting Connauton who has some sketchy playing time of the past few years and Graves who has spent most of his time in the AHL.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 3:35 p.m.
Banned
So colorado should give up a 7th and take his contract for short term and then add in a sweetener to seattle for them to take jj... do you see where youve messed this up. JJ hasnt been good for a few years. ide rather pay mcquaid 750k take kevan miller with a bum knee, or john moore before i took jj.

McQuaid has off season surgery good luck on that. That's why no one has signed him.
Moore isn't a bad option, but he lacks the physicality you would get from JJ. Which is one of the reasons they brought in Cole.

And Colorado is going to give up to Seattle anyway, that's how expansion drafts work. This way they get something out of it.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 3:37 p.m.
The penguins would keep him if it wasn't for cap issues. You have to make a cut somewhere when you are against the cap. 3 teams chased him last year in the off season, don't tell me he isn't serviceable, if he wasn't that wouldn't have happened . He got placed out of position last year on the Right side, he should have never been there. In like 20 some games on the LHD side last year he ended up a +16 and had 233 hits and 147 shot blocks. Don't tell me your 3rd pairing couldn't use that. It could. Especially if it's cheaper than Cole who might spend the year on LTIR. Hell with 500k retained you are looking at 2.7 million. It's not a bad idea for colorado who's looking for that kind of player on it's 3rd pairing. Right now they are looking at starting Connauton who has some sketchy playing time of the past few years and Graves who has spent most of his time in the AHL.

Okay now I am just concerned with your mental health.
gregb569 liked this.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 4:03 p.m.
Girard, Byram, Makar and Timmins will be the strongest top 4 in the league in 2-3 years. Especially if they have the cap to keep Cole on the 3rd pairing they could possibly have the best D in the league at that point.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 4:19 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: datools
Girard, Byram, Makar and Timmins will be the strongest top 4 in the league in 2-3 years. Especially if they have the cap to keep Cole on the 3rd pairing they could possibly have the best D in the league at that point.

you seem to think this is some conversation about the future. It's not. It's this year and possibly next. That's it.
Byram and Timmins won't be suiting up this year, and probably not next year either.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 4:19 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast

Why are you always so aggressive? Even if the Avalanche do have issues on defence with Cole out for the season, they can slot in Byram and Timmins, both better options than JJ.

Girard-Johnson
Zadorov-Makar
Byram-Timmins

A very solid blueline if anything.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 4:20 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
you seem to think this is some conversation about the future. It's not. It's this year and possibly next. That's it.
Byram and Timmins won't be suiting up this year, and probably not next year either.

Even if Byram and Timmins suit up next season, they would do better than JJ.
gregb569 liked this.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 4:26 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Okay now I am just concerned with your mental health.

Quoting: Barbs
Was going to chirp but I see you fellas got it well in hand. Carry on

Quoting: ArakinSkywalker

She’s right about JJ being physical and a good shot blocker, but that’s about it. Honestly, don’t even debate with @pharrow. Every time you disagree with her, she becomes so aggressive and ends up bashing you. I think she may be left handed and have autism, since these types of people commonly behave this way.
zdiamond1919 and datools liked this.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 4:46 p.m.

All reports are that Cole will be back by December, so you are overstating his situation.
Not sure about your information on EJ. Latest reports are he will be ready for opening day.
Girard-EJ and Zadorov-Makar are set for the top 2 lines.
They can easily make a serviceable 3rd line from Barberio, Graves, Connauton, Timmins, Byram, Rosen, and Meloche until Cole comes back.
Byram will most likely suit up for the first 9 games. If he shows he's ready he will stay, otherwise he'll go back to juniors.
Timmins will most likely start in the AHL until he's in game shape and could then be called up.
The last thing they need is an aging LD (they have LD galore. It's RD they are a little short on) with 4 more years on his contract.
gregb569 liked this.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 6:02 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BrandonDubinskyGOAT
Why are you always so aggressive? Even if the Avalanche do have issues on defence with Cole out for the season, they can slot in Byram and Timmins, both better options than JJ.

Girard-Johnson
Zadorov-Makar
Byram-Timmins

A very solid blueline if anything.

Byram and Timmins aren't playing this year. You arrogently come at me and then you act like "why are you so aggressive" take your passive aggressive ass else where.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 6:18 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: StephenP
All reports are that Cole will be back by December, so you are overstating his situation.
Not sure about your information on EJ. Latest reports are he will be ready for opening day.
Girard-EJ and Zadorov-Makar are set for the top 2 lines.
They can easily make a serviceable 3rd line from Barberio, Graves, Connauton, Timmins, Byram, Rosen, and Meloche until Cole comes back.
Byram will most likely suit up for the first 9 games. If he shows he's ready he will stay, otherwise he'll go back to juniors.
Timmins will most likely start in the AHL until he's in game shape and could then be called up.
The last thing they need is an aging LD (they have LD galore. It's RD they are a little short on) with 4 more years on his contract.

At best Cole will be back in december but you don't know what you will get out of him. I'm not over stating his situation. Players don't typically come back well right after surgery. Let alone on both hips.
It takes time to fully heal and the hip is a much harder issue than say a knee or an ankle.

You clearly didn't pay attention to the points being made. No one ever stated this is a long term solution, and they are keeping him for 4 years. That was never and is not the point here. They can clearly dump out of this easily in 2 years. You list 2 players that won't play this year, and a whole bunch of basically nothing. Guys who are older and spent most of their time in the AHL.

Even if Cole did come back 100% in December which is unlikely you are talking about 3 months worth of games. It's almost 1/2 the season. If you get the LTIR on him for that, and you get JJ at 2.7 you are looking at adding a very small cap hit to have him fill in.
If worst comes to worst next year you bury him as depth for 1 year at 1.7 million cap hit next year, which is nothing, and then send him to Seattle as the player they have to take off the roster when they pay Seattle to not take their other players, that is if someone else doesn't grab him on waivers from you to be their stop gap for that year.

Stop listening to trolls on here and think about it logically for a second. It's getting a guy you know can come in and play that physical role and block those shots for basically nothing for the year. A role the other people listed above really don't do, or haven't done on the NHL level. As is their options are AHL tweeners and guys with sketchy starting records.
It costs COL basically nothing, it doesn't really effect their cap, but gives them more depth.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 6:27 p.m.
hahah you think Avs have Blue Line issues and think JJ is worth dumping on to replace Cole.

Avs have 0 blue line issues, even if they did feel like they could use an additional short term, there are guys like Gardiner, Shattenkirk, Hutton. Delusional take and rational if you think Avs want anything do with a bad dman on a TERRIBLE contract like JJ
Aug. 2, 2019 at 7:29 p.m.
What in tarnation
The idea of having COL dump Johnson to Seattle is just ridiculous considering how many good choices Seattle has to pick from there. The package COL would have to send to Seattle has to exceed the value of the player Seattle would draft from there, making this completely useless. They'd waste $6,5M in cap space for two years and then they'd have to pay to get rid of him. It's a f*ck-barrel, and Pens are the only winner here, since they don't have to give up anything to get rid of him, but COL has to.
Aug. 2, 2019 at 7:52 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BurgerBoss
The idea of having COL dump Johnson to Seattle is just ridiculous considering how many good choices Seattle has to pick from there. The package COL would have to send to Seattle has to exceed the value of the player Seattle would draft from there, making this completely useless. They'd waste $6,5M in cap space for two years and then they'd have to pay to get rid of him. It's a f*ck-barrel, and Pens are the only winner here, since they don't have to give up anything to get rid of him, but COL has to.

that's nonsense. Vegas took a lot of players that were junk for a pick. Because they had to take someone and that's how teams work it out. Colorado is giving that up anyway, which is the part you are unwilling to admit. At a minimum they will give up a 2nd to keep Seattle off players they want to keep. What do they get for the 2nd, a 2.7 million cap dump because seattle HAS to pick A player. It's fair.
On top of it, saying COL got nothing is clearly untrue. They get a fill in guy to come in and play who is easily movable and at a low cap hit. It costs COL virtually nothing the 1st year as the replacement is basically the cost of the LTIR on Cole. The second year is 1.7 roughly on the cap if sent down, with the hopes someone else in the same boat aka needing a replacement for 1 year picks him up. Given how things go he may actually stay that year in COL if he plays well. He is going to end up in Seattle everyone knows this. Seattle gets a pick, and a defense man at 2.7 million for 2 years. That's not a huge cap dump or issue.
You make this out to be more than it is. It's 2 years tops. It costs virtually nothing, and it fills a hole which right now looks very uncertain.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll