SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/General Fantasy Talk

Player Discussions

Aug. 3, 2019 at 9:18 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Edited Aug. 3, 2019 at 9:44 a.m.
I would like to ask, why is Brent Burns considered a better all-round defenseman than Kris Letang?

All answers would be appreciated.

@SammyT_51 @Jamiepo @BuFfaLOFaN @BurgerBoss @DoctorBreakfast @dgfresh78 @mhockey91 @okrepps185
Aug. 3, 2019 at 9:22 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: BrandonDubinskyGOAT
I would like to ask, why is Brent Burns considered a better defenseman than Kris Letang?

Because he won the D points lol
Aug. 3, 2019 at 9:45 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
I would like to ask, why is Brent Burns considered a better all-round defenseman than Kris Letang?

@BeastModeUnknown @SpaghettiPasta @palhal @Jangle29 @rangersandislesfan
Aug. 3, 2019 at 9:47 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: BurgerBoss

I know, but the real question is, why did Burns win the Norris whereas Letang never did? Is Burns really a better all-round defenseman than Letang?
Aug. 3, 2019 at 10:06 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
I know, but the real question is, why did Burns win the Norris whereas Letang never did? Is Burns really a better all-round defenseman than Letang?

He's better offensively while also better defensively than some people say he is.
Aug. 3, 2019 at 10:10 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
He's better offensively while also better defensively than some people say he is.

Yes but is he better defensively than Letang? Burns is more physical, but I don’t think he is as good as Letang in positioning and suppressing shot attempts. Obviously he is a more riskier offensive player who loves to shoot the puck, but Letang IMO has better zone exit breakouts, skating and agility. What about Letang and Subban, who is better at their peak?
Aug. 3, 2019 at 10:17 a.m.

@SammyT_51 @Jamiepo @BuFfaLOFaN @BurgerBoss @DoctorBreakfast @dgfresh78 @mhockey91 @okrepps185

In almost every advanced stats for the last 3 years Burns is the better player, from defensive stats to shot contributions. He also puts up more points than Letang.
SammyT_51 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2019 at 10:22 a.m.
Yes but is he better defensively than Letang? Burns is more physical, but I don’t think he is as good as Letang in positioning and suppressing shot attempts. Obviously he is a more riskier offensive player who loves to shoot the puck, but Letang IMO has better zone exit breakouts, skating and agility. What about Letang and Subban, who is better at their peak?

Burns is better at zone entries, breaks up more entries and gets more shots. Burns also has a better ozone entry percentage although he doesn't do it as much as Letang. That's for the last 3 yrs. Last year burns was a monster and has Letang beat in every advanced category except for amount of zone entries.
Aug. 3, 2019 at 10:44 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
In almost every advanced stats for the last 3 years Burns is the better player, from defensive stats to shot contributions. He also puts up more points than Letang.

Burns is better at zone entries, breaks up more entries and gets more shots. Burns also has a better ozone entry percentage although he doesn't do it as much as Letang. That's for the last 3 yrs. Last year burns was a monster and has Letang beat in every advanced category except for amount of zone entries.

Wow, I actually didn’t pay much attention to those advanced metrics, thank you for educating me. Indeed Burns does get more zone entries and shot contributions, but we also have to keep in mind that he gets a lot more offensive zone starts than in his own end, which contributes to those superior stats. What about Burns and Parayko, who’s better?
Aug. 3, 2019 at 10:50 a.m.
Black Lives Matter

Is Letang better offensively than Burns?
Aug. 3, 2019 at 10:54 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Is Letang better offensively than Burns?

Clearly not but the stereotype was that Burns isn’t very good defensively, since he only plays in the offensive zone.
Aug. 3, 2019 at 10:59 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
@BuFfaLOFaN @rangersandislesfan @Snipshow4416 I want to ask about the 2017 Stanley Cup Finals. There were a few key players missing in that tournament. If Letang, Fiala and Johansen were all healthy for their respective teams, would the result have been any different?
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Aug. 3, 2019 at 11:01 a.m.

Brent Burns is the better all around Defenseman because he plays Better Offense, and Defense.
GenXHockey liked this.
Aug. 3, 2019 at 11:02 a.m.
LEAFSandBRUINSfan
@BuFfaLOFaN @rangersandislesfan @Snipshow4416 I want to ask about the 2017 Stanley Cup Finals. There were a few key players missing in that tournament. If Letang, Fiala and Johansen were all healthy for their respective teams, would the result have been any different?

Probably not. The biggest factor was Murray and the blown call on nsh in game 6
Aug. 3, 2019 at 11:02 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
I want to ask about the 2017 Stanley Cup Finals. There were a few key players missing in that tournament. If Letang, Fiala and Johansen were all healthy for their respective teams, would the result have been any different?

idk who knows
Aug. 3, 2019 at 11:04 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Snipshow4416

idk who knows

Honestly if Letang was healthy in that cup run there probably wouldn’t have been a game 6 is what I think.
Snipshow4416 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2019 at 11:22 a.m.
Now what I will quote from @BrandonDubinskyGOAT here is that Blues were lucky and that our stanley cup was a fluke. He also said that 2016 Pittsburgh Penguins was x100 better than this Blues team.
Aug. 3, 2019 at 11:25 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
Now what I will quote from @BrandonDubinskyGOAT here is that Blues were lucky and that our stanley cup was a fluke. He also said that 2016 Pittsburgh Penguins was x100 better than this Blues team.

The Blues deserved their cup championship but in all fairness, the 2016 Penguins were far better. You can’t compare a team that won with intimidation to a team that dominated with their skill. The Penguins had the better individul players and also played better as a team.
mhockey91 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2019 at 12:00 p.m.
Jangle29
Brent Burns is the better all around Defenseman because he plays Better Offense, and Defense.

Seems complex but you may be on to something
Shylo_Moxii liked this.
Aug. 3, 2019 at 1:49 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Jangle29

idk who knows

I want to ask about Jay Bouwmeester. In his prime, was he an elite defenseman? I have seen included on Team Canada many times.
Aug. 3, 2019 at 2:17 p.m.

Probably not, although I wish it would have been
Snipshow4416 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2019 at 3:02 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Probably not, although I wish it would have been

Quoting: Jangle29

idk who knows

Quoting: Snipshow4416

@Frank_Booth

Hey guys, please check out my Team Canada (Anglophones) for ages 25+. Let me know what you think! https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1370703
Aug. 3, 2019 at 3:53 p.m.
I want to ask about Jay Bouwmeester. In his prime, was he an elite defenseman? I have seen included on Team Canada many times.

He was amazing until the 2nd year we had him when he went down with a plethora of injuries. He was insane enough to be Top Line with Pietrangelo. Then he fell off because of injury so to answer your question yes he was.
Aug. 3, 2019 at 4:07 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
He was amazing until the 2nd year we had him when he went down with a plethora of injuries. He was insane enough to be Top Line with Pietrangelo. Then he fell off because of injury so to answer your question yes he was.

Thank you. I agree, he was one of the best defensemen in the league in his prime. Was he a good skater?
Aug. 3, 2019 at 4:25 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast

@Goulet brought up an interesting point. He claimed that Tavares is more capable of elevating the play of his linemates than Crosby. Is this true? Why or why not?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll