LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000 (Performance Bonus$1,750,000$2M)
G
NTC
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 3, 2019 at 1:14 p.m.
Sabres probably would prefer to just get a late pick back, but they might take gagner as he is a million cheaper and would help the middle 6 if no other moves are made. Its frustrating having a not good team and being at the cap to boot.
Bostonbruins and GMTD liked this.
Aug. 3, 2019 at 1:29 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
As much as the Oilers could use some help on defense I think they're going to need Gagner's 30 or so points more.
Maybe if it was a Sheary,Scandella for Gagner,? It'd work but then it's basically just a swap of the same stuff, no significant improvement of cap savings for either team.
Aug. 3, 2019 at 1:56 p.m.
Quoting: sabres89
Sabres probably would prefer to just get a late pick back, but they might take gagner as he is a million cheaper and would help the middle 6 if no other moves are made. Its frustrating having a not good team and being at the cap to boot.

Check out Gagner from 2 years ago when he was with Columbus. He had a team high of 2.7 pt/60, 54.18% corsi, 4th with 18 goals and 5th with 50 pts. If he could find that mojo in Buffalo, well who knows. I think it is a trade that works for both teams.
As for the cap, $11,000,000 for our 7th defenseman and bottom 6 RW, ouch! It will be better next year when Hall is a UFA!
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
As much as the Oilers could use some help on defense I think they're going to need Gagner's 30 or so points more.
Maybe if it was a Sheary,Scandella for Gagner,? It'd work but then it's basically just a swap of the same stuff, no significant improvement of cap savings for either team.

That is just a little too much for Sam. He is too unpredictable.
2014-Jun-29 Traded with B.J. Crombeen to Phoenix Coyotes for round 6 pick in the 2015 draft
2015-Jun-27 Traded from Arizona Coyotes with conditional round 4 pick in the 2016 draft (Otto Koivula) to Philadelphia Flyers for Chris Pronger and Nicklas Grossmann
2016-Aug-01 Signed by Columbus Blue Jackets
2017-Jul-01 Signed by Vancouver Canucks
2019-Feb-16 Traded from Vancouver Canucks to Edmonton Oilers for Ryan Spooner
Traded for a 6th, traded with a 4th for cap dumps, UFA signed, UFA signed, and a player who is in Europe now.
Scandella for Gagner is just about right, Buffalo needs a help at center, Edmonton needs help on defense.
GMTD liked this.
Aug. 3, 2019 at 2:20 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Bostonbruins
Check out Gagner from 2 years ago when he was with Columbus. He had a team high of 2.7 pt/60, 54.18% corsi, 4th with 18 goals and 5th with 50 pts. If he could find that mojo in Buffalo, well who knows. I think it is a trade that works for both teams.
As for the cap, $11,000,000 for our 7th defenseman and bottom 6 RW, ouch! It will be better next year when Hall is a UFA!

That is just a little too much for Sam. He is too unpredictable.
2014-Jun-29 Traded with B.J. Crombeen to Phoenix Coyotes for round 6 pick in the 2015 draft
2015-Jun-27 Traded from Arizona Coyotes with conditional round 4 pick in the 2016 draft (Otto Koivula) to Philadelphia Flyers for Chris Pronger and Nicklas Grossmann
2016-Aug-01 Signed by Columbus Blue Jackets
2017-Jul-01 Signed by Vancouver Canucks
2019-Feb-16 Traded from Vancouver Canucks to Edmonton Oilers for Ryan Spooner
Traded for a 6th, traded with a 4th for cap dumps, UFA signed, UFA signed, and a player who is in Europe now.
Scandella for Gagner is just about right, Buffalo needs a help at center, Edmonton needs help on defense.

Who are you talking about with $11 million for a #7 dman and bottom 6 RW? Okposo and Scandella?
And what does Hall being UFA have to do with anything?

K so you're talking out of both sides of your mouth, in one paragraph you're saying maybe Gagner could get back to his 50 point season like he had in Columbus but then you're saying 30 points is probably too much for him cause he's too unpredictable? So which is it cause if you look at his first season in Vancouver he hit the 30 point mark and his two stints of NHL time last season average out to a 33 point season if he plays a full 82 games in the NHL. Buffalo has plenty of guys who will hit the 30 point mark whereas Edmonton doesn't and they have enough defensemen who can do what Scandella does, seriously Edmonton needs Gagner more then they need Scandella plus I'm not sure if Gagner is really an option at center anymore, probably better suited to the wing at this point.
Aug. 3, 2019 at 3:11 p.m.
Who are you talking about with $11 million for a #7 dman and bottom 6 RW? Okposo and Scandella?
And what does Hall being UFA have to do with anything?

K so you're talking out of both sides of your mouth, in one paragraph you're saying maybe Gagner could get back to his 50 point season like he had in Columbus but then you're saying 30 points is probably too much for him cause he's too unpredictable? So which is it cause if you look at his first season in Vancouver he hit the 30 point mark and his two stints of NHL time last season average out to a 33 point season if he plays a full 82 games in the NHL. Buffalo has plenty of guys who will hit the 30 point mark whereas Edmonton doesn't and they have enough defensemen who can do what Scandella does, seriously Edmonton needs Gagner more then they need Scandella plus I'm not sure if Gagner is really an option at center anymore, probably better suited to the wing at this point.

"Who are you talking about with $11 million for a #7 dman and bottom 6 RW? Okposo and Scandella?" No Okposo and Bogosian. Right now Scandella would be the 2nd or 3rd pairing LHD.
"And what does Hall being UFA have to do with anything?" He will be a free agent next year and without Okposo and Bogosian, the Sabres would have the cap space to try to sign him, that is what he has to do with the conversation.
I am referring to Sam's trade history, or maybe you over looked that. In the last 5 years he was picked off of waivers twice , traded for a 6th then later for 2 cap dumps.
One has to question why Edmonton cannot find wingers to score with McDavid, Draisaitl and Nugent-Hopkins at center.
On the other hand, only Nurse had more goals than Scandella so I hold my ground Scandella would fit in very nicely as an Oiler LHD, while it is a gamble that Gagner may get back to 50 pts because he only reached that once in his entire career.
So I am not talking out of both sides of my mouth, but rather "IF" Sam could do as well next year as he did 2 years ago it would be a great trade for Buffalo. "IF" Marco could return to his performance of the previous year, it is a great trade for Edmonton.
GMTD liked this.
Aug. 3, 2019 at 3:18 p.m.
Eichel Tower
Quoting: sabres89

It is actually a fair trade, a third pairing defenseman for a bottom 6 forward. Salaries are close, they are both 29, both have one year left on their contracts. Buffalo needs a center, Edmonton needs defense. I really do not see where there would be a big disagreement about this trade.
sabres89 and Bostonbruins liked this.
Aug. 3, 2019 at 3:53 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Bostonbruins
"Who are you talking about with $11 million for a #7 dman and bottom 6 RW? Okposo and Scandella?" No Okposo and Bogosian. Right now Scandella would be the 2nd or 3rd pairing LHD.
"And what does Hall being UFA have to do with anything?" He will be a free agent next year and without Okposo and Bogosian, the Sabres would have the cap space to try to sign him, that is what he has to do with the conversation.
I am referring to Sam's trade history, or maybe you over looked that. In the last 5 years he was picked off of waivers twice , traded for a 6th then later for 2 cap dumps.
One has to question why Edmonton cannot find wingers to score with McDavid, Draisaitl and Nugent-Hopkins at center.
On the other hand, only Nurse had more goals than Scandella so I hold my ground Scandella would fit in very nicely as an Oiler LHD, while it is a gamble that Gagner may get back to 50 pts because he only reached that once in his entire career.
So I am not talking out of both sides of my mouth, but rather "IF" Sam could do as well next year as he did 2 years ago it would be a great trade for Buffalo. "IF" Marco could return to his performance of the previous year, it is a great trade for Edmonton.

Gotcha
So those two are expiring in time to sign Hall if he wants to be a Sabre, that'd be a major addition that might push them over the top.

Ah okay I get it now, I think we misunderstood each other. I meant Gagner plus something else for Sheary and Scandella like maybe a pick with Gagner or perhaps a smaller cap dump (Brodziak,Manning) which would give the Sabres a bit of cap space to make another move or an addition at the TDL if they're in contention for a playoff spot.
Sorry I just misunderstood you.

I stand by what I said though about the Oilers depth pieces struggling to put up points compared to Gagner and they have enough defensemen who can do what Scandella can. One for one I do think it's a fair trade but I just doubt the likes of Granlund, Khaira and Kassian can hit that 30 point mark, maybe they will though and if they can it'll go a long way in Edmonton at least turning the corner towards respectability.

It's not that the Oilers can't find wingers to play with those three it's that they trade them away in trades they lose and now they don't have much for assets to get wingers. It's also another reason to not trade Gagner, he might actually be a top 6 winger option for them even though thats not an ideal situation but that's where the Oilers are at, if anyone could drag him back to the 50 point mark it's McDavid.
Aug. 3, 2019 at 3:55 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: GMTD
It is actually a fair trade, a third pairing defenseman for a bottom 6 forward. Salaries are close, they are both 29, both have one year left on their contracts. Buffalo needs a center, Edmonton needs defense. I really do not see where there would be a big disagreement about this trade.

I don't disagree about the fairness of the trade I just think the Oilers need Gagner more then they need Scandella.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll