SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Pittsburgh Penguins

Penguins Discussion

Aug. 7, 2019 at 11:19 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: vic997
At this point, if they were to buy him out or even trade him. I'd say the Pens gave him a second chance after his whole family fiasco. In the end, I really think Jim gave the 5-year term because of his past.
As much as it hurt the Pens team, the good part of this is that JJ now has something to retire with. I can only imagine what that must have been like for him.

In all fairness JJ in his prime was a good defenseman, he isn’t anymore and that 5 year deal was a huge gamble. It obviously didn’t work out. Plus we have to keep in mind and Sid and JJ were best friends in high school.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 11:20 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: dgfresh78
I agree to the point that I think Hunwick was better than JJ. If I knew the alternative I wouldn’t have rooted for the Hunwick/Sheary cap dump as much as I did. I think Gardiner is a no brainer if they can clear the cap. Would be perfect in a 3rd pairing role with Gudbranson or Riikola.

Don’t forget Hunwick was coming off a really good season with the Leafs, he played a lot of big minutes on the top pairing with Gardiner against the Capitals in the first round, whereas JJ was coming off the worst season of his career.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 11:22 a.m.
Quoting: BrandonDubinskyGOAT
In all fairness JJ in his prime was a good defenseman, he isn’t anymore and that 5 year deal was a huge gamble. It obviously didn’t work out. Plus we have to keep in mind and Sid and JJ were best friends in high school.

Crazy how he went 2 picks after Sid in the 05 draft. Never really lived up to expectations. 2016-17 he wasn't bad but year after he just regressed so much.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 11:25 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Honestly had we got Tanev at 2-2.5 x 3-4 years, I would be ecstatic. Basically being paid properly to play in the 4th line role.
The thing with Simon is that we'd have to scratch ZAR if the team is healthy. ZAR is a better player overall and I'd like to see him play with Malkin for some stretches during the season.
If Simon had better finishing, I swear this guy would be a 25 goal scorer
It's an odd situation because he can drive play, have great possession metrics but literally cannot score on an open net from a feed from sid.

In this scenario ZAR would play with Geno because it’s basically a foregone conclusion that Rust will end up being the cap casualty that takes place in order to sign Pettersson.

My ideal forward group is
Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Galchenyuk-Malkin-ZAR
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Tanev-Blueger-Simon

I like those lines. Only thing I would do is flip Kahun and McCann. I liked what I saw during the short time Sully put Jared with Sid and Jake. I think he has the potential to become a really good player in this league, he certainly has the skillset and talent. It can be Sid And The Kids part 2, only better! ZAR is someone who will go into the corners and create space for Geno and Chucky to do their thing, perfect.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 11:30 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Crazy how he went 2 picks after Sid in the 05 draft. Never really lived up to expectations. 2016-17 he wasn't bad but year after he just regressed so much.

I would even say he was good in 2016/17. The family issues and his deteriorating relationship with Torts probably played a part. For a defenseman to be a top 5 pick, people expect them to be a franchise player who is an excellent skater, has terrific puck skills and can move the puck, as well as adapt quickly defensively. Johnson is mainly a shutdown guy who stays at home, so it is difficult to meet those expectations. The same can be said about Chris Phillips and Erik Johnson.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 11:34 a.m.
Hockey God Genius
Only if his most common d-pairing isn’t Jack Johnson. If they keep deploying him with Johnson he’ll continue to look worse than he actually is.

I think Geno is going to have a great yr w/ Gally as his new line partner.... It may take them a lil bit of time to mesh at begining of season but IMO this is what Geno needed.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 4:56 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast

So, I do predict for Geno to have a bounce-back season in 2019-20 if he plays alongside ZAR and Galchenyuk while maintaining somewhat healthy. I think he will play in 70 games, score 28 goals, 50 assists for 78 points. What'd you all think?
mhockey91 liked this.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 7:29 p.m.
Hockey God Genius
So, I do predict for Geno to have a bounce-back season in 2019-20 if he plays alongside ZAR and Galchenyuk while maintaining somewhat healthy. I think he will play in 70 games, score 28 goals, 50 assists for 78 points. What'd you all think?

Geno will be with Gally & Kahun or Horny but I'd bet Geno plays great this yr.... If he stays healthy
mhockey91 liked this.
Aug. 10, 2019 at 8:09 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Sidstick87
Geno will be with Gally & Kahun or Horny but I'd bet Geno plays great this yr.... If he stays healthy

Yeah as long as Geno is healthy before the playoffs, that’s what matters most.
Aug. 10, 2019 at 8:13 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
@mhockey91 @Sidstick87 @AFOX10900 @dgfresh78 @Yojimbo @vic997

I’m not sure if you guys remember the all out brawl that took place between the Penguins and Islanders on February 11th, 2011. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=puMana_bq1o&t=604s What are your impressions of this game?
Aug. 10, 2019 at 10:23 p.m.

I’m not sure if you guys remember the all out brawl that took place between the Penguins and Islanders on February 11th, 2011. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=puMana_bq1o&t=604s What are your impressions of this game?

Best pens brawl was against philly in 2012 in the ECQF
Aug. 10, 2019 at 11:10 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: mhockey91

You mean the one where Crosby fought Giroux and Letang fought Timonen?
Aug. 11, 2019 at 7:07 p.m.

It was an ugly game, unnecessary. Gillies and Haley showed what POS they were. Especially Gillies. Standing in the runway yelling at the kid that did nothing, but who's career Gillies just ended as he was never the same again. Gillies should have been suspended from the NHL for life for 100% intent to injure and being human trash. Garbage game.
Aug. 11, 2019 at 9:08 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Yojimbo
It was an ugly game, unnecessary. Gillies and Haley showed what POS they were. Especially Gillies. Standing in the runway yelling at the kid that did nothing, but who's career Gillies just ended as he was never the same again. Gillies should have been suspended from the NHL for life for 100% intent to injure and being human trash. Garbage game.

Agree, it was truly a garbage play from Gillies. First he left his feet and elbowed Tangradi away from the puck, then he sucker punched him several times before sending him to the ground. Tangradi was a talented young player with loads of potential, what a waste. Absolutely no need for any of that, he was just an overrated goon.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 5:48 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast

Hey guys,

I put together a thread of a Geno trade scenario with every team. https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/262876&post_id=1039799

Please let me know what you think, I worked hard on it!
Aug. 16, 2019 at 3:40 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
@Hissam87 @AROM5477 @MORCAK @DonkeyLips @pharrow

Guys, please check out this piece I wrote regarding Marc-Andre Fleury. Let me know what you think! https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1388771

Dec. 5, 2019 at 4:24 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Yojimbo

Quoting: mhockey91

Quoting: Sidstick87

@dgfresh78

What'd you guys think of Dominik Simon? To me, the dude has got some good stickhandling, speed and forecheck. He can keep the puck in the offensive zone. However, he's not a good finisher and he keeps missing high quality chances. Is he really that bad of a player? At the very least, I think he's better than Sheary.
Dec. 5, 2019 at 5:01 p.m.
Quoting: MikeyThePensFan
@dgfresh78

What'd you guys think of Dominik Simon? To me, the dude has got some good stickhandling, speed and forecheck. He can keep the puck in the offensive zone. However, he's not a good finisher and he keeps missing high quality chances. Is he really that bad of a player? At the very least, I think he's better than Sheary.

I like Simon and don’t like how people give him such a hard time. He’s a great defensive player, has great underlying numbers, and good speed / for checking like you said. Sure he can’t finish but he makes under 1 million and is a good depth player. You can slot him on the 4th line or 1st line and he can adjust to a lot of different roles. He’s defensively responsible and a lot better than people give him credit.
Dec. 5, 2019 at 5:44 p.m.
Quoting: MikeyThePensFan
@dgfresh78

I don't care what his advanced stats say... his cinder block hands is extremely frustrating. He needs to be nowhere near the top two lines.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll