SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Sharks are missing the playoffs

Aug. 7, 2019 at 8:59 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
It’s finally that time, the time where the sharks miss the playoffs. Their depth players are either cruddy young prospects or really old veterans. They lost their captain and their core is very very old minus Hertl. Karlsson’s contract could turn up to be awful, like really awful if his injuries persist. Vlasic isn’t elite anymore and they don’t have Nyqvist. Signing Thornton is a given, but all signing Marleau will do is make them older. They had a rocky start to last year, and if they didn’t get so darn lucky they could’ve been out round one last year. This won’t be a popular opinion, but I think the Sharks finally miss the playoffs, even if it isn’t by much.
awatt, OldNYIfan and MasterMatt23 liked this.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 9:49 a.m.
Quoting: klondikebar
It’s finally that time, the time where the sharks miss the playoffs. Their depth players are either cruddy young prospects or really old veterans. They lost their captain and their core is very very old minus Hertl. Karlsson’s contract could turn up to be awful, like really awful if his injuries persist. Vlasic isn’t elite anymore and they don’t have Nyqvist. Signing Thornton is a given, but all signing Marleau will do is make them older. They had a rocky start to last year, and if they didn’t get so darn lucky they could’ve been out round one last year. This won’t be a popular opinion, but I think the Sharks finally miss the playoffs, even if it isn’t by much.

Honestly I can see it. their top 2 lines are kind of stacked so they will probably be a wildcard team. but i could also see them missing. depends on which martin jones shows up.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 10:16 a.m.
Below Market Value
I think the fact that they're in the weak Pacific will allow them to make it. Vegas and Calgary are really the only two teams that seem like a lock for the playoffs. Anaheim, LA, Edmonton are longshots, while Arizona and Vancouver are around 50/50.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 10:23 a.m.

I think they'll make he playoffs, but they won't be serious cup contenders like they have been recently.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 10:23 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
I think the fact that they're in the weak Pacific will allow them to make it. Vegas and Calgary are really the only two teams that seem like a lock for the playoffs. Anaheim, LA, Edmonton are longshots, while Arizona and Vancouver are around 50/50.

Why do i feel like i'm the only person picking Vegas to miss the playoffs? Look at that defence.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 10:25 a.m.
Habs/Pens fan
I more see them missing next year rather than this year, however they would only make the playoffs in their division if they do make the playoffs.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 10:25 a.m.
Black Lives Matter

That's a bold prediction and while possible, i don't see it. The Pacific is probably the worst division in the league. I know a lot of people have Vegas in there, but i don't. Arizona, Calgary, and San Jose IMO while 5 teams make it in the Central.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 10:28 a.m.
Habs/Pens fan
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Why do i feel like i'm the only person picking Vegas to miss the playoffs? Look at that defence.

I only feel Calgary is a legitimate "cup contender" in their division. I have Vegas at 4th right now however it could change on a whim. Also Vegas is a really hard team to predict anyhow because in neither year they did as expected.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 10:48 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Hockeylover360
I only feel Calgary is a legitimate "cup contender" in their division. I have Vegas at 4th right now however it could change on a whim. Also Vegas is a really hard team to predict anyhow because in neither year they did as expected.

What do you mean? I know they didn't in 2017-18 but you mean they didn't do as expected in 2018-19? How were they expected to do? I think they did about as expected ... make the playoffs but not by too much and lose early ... though some had them going far and some had them missing the playoffs.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 10:50 a.m.
Habs/Pens fan
What do you mean? I know they didn't in 2017-18 but you mean they didn't do as expected in 2018-19? How were they expected to do? I think they did about as expected ... make the playoffs but not by too much and lose early ... though some had them going far and some had them missing the playoffs.

Lots predict Vegas to either win their division or be 2nd. Maybe I can't predict them just yet. I'm 0/2 on Vegas.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 11:20 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer

Nobody wants to doubt Vegas after their debut season lol
Brian2016 liked this.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 12:11 p.m.

ehhh fleury is still a good goalie he can sort of negate some of the bad defense.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 2:01 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: hanson493
ehhh fleury is still a good goalie he can sort of negate some of the bad defense.

They could totally make it, but some I thought the votes would be more 50/50 ... it's more 75/25 for Vegas making the playoffs.

Edit: This is based on what people are saying ... I think there'a about a 40% chance they make it, but I'm saying about 75% are saying they make it.
SpaghettiPasta liked this.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 2:23 p.m.
torontos finest

i don't follow vegas closely but hasn't their defense been adequate?
hanson493 liked this.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 3:52 p.m.
i hope ur hungry now
Quoting: Hockeylover360

Calgary isn't that good. I don't see them winning the division.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 5:30 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: mondo
i don't follow vegas closely but hasn't their defense been adequate?

They just traded Colin Miller and IMO they don't have a true #1.
Aug. 20, 2019 at 7:20 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I think Anaheim and San Jose will surprise everyone this year -- Anaheim by going up (like the Islanders last year), and San Jose by going down.
AndrewLadd and awatt liked this.
Aug. 20, 2019 at 7:33 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I think Anaheim and San Jose will surprise everyone this year -- Anaheim by going up (like the Islanders last year), and San Jose by going down.

A lot of it depends on Marleau and Thornton IMO. Sounds like Thornton's coming back and Marleau seems like a maybe.
Aug. 21, 2019 at 10:49 a.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan

After reading that Josh Manson article, I think a lot of players feel like they have something to prove. I don't expect them to make the playoffs but I wouldn't be surprised to see them sneak in and do some damage.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 21, 2019 at 2:26 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Sharks shouldn't be missing. They've got enough talent up front even with the loss of Pavelski, especially as guys like Meier, Labanc and Hertl continue to improve. There's also room for young players to step in and provide solid offense (probably either Chekhovich or Chmelevski), and I think one of them can do a solid job in the top nine. Defensively, I think Vlasic will have a bounce back year, plus Simek will be healthy, as he was an excellent partner for Burns. Losing Braun shouldn't be a huge loss, but I think Karlsson coming into the season healthy is going to be huge for them.

In a weak Pacific division, they should be in for sure. My top three are Vegas, San Jose and Arizona. The only thing I really see that could tank the Sharks (besides injuries) is goaltending, but I think it'll be decent enough to get them in.
Brian2016 liked this.
Aug. 21, 2019 at 7:04 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: awatt
After reading that Josh Manson article, I think a lot of players feel like they have something to prove. I don't expect them to make the playoffs but I wouldn't be surprised to see them sneak in and do some damage.

What Josh Manson article?
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 22, 2019 at 10:16 a.m.
What Josh Manson article?

It was on The Athletic. It came out about a week or so.
Aug. 22, 2019 at 12:00 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: awatt
It was on The Athletic. It came out about a week or so.

About what?
Aug. 22, 2019 at 12:09 p.m.
About what?

Go on the athletic and read it....
Aug. 22, 2019 at 6:16 p.m.
Nobody wants to doubt Vegas after their debut season lol

Vegas has an absolutely stacked offense. Possibly the best in the NHL. If Fleury stays healthy I think they're a virtual lock to make the playoffs. SJS has a superior D (at least offensively), but they lack Vegas' offensive depth and goaltending. I think they'll make it, but it'll be close. ARI will finally make it and CGY will regress, but they're still playoff contenders. They'll finish 9th in the West. VAN will improve drastically, but just miss.

Here's my Pacific predictions (Top 3 make the playoffs w/ 5 teams from the Central):

1. VGK
2. ARI
3. SJS
4. CGY
5. VAN
6. EDM
7. ANA
8. LAK
MasterMatt23 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options: