SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Ferris is going to lose again

Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 7, 2019
Published: Aug. 7, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Here is the problem with all the nonsense that is going on. The big RFA's appear to be waiting for Marner to set the market and Dubas is fine just waiting it out. Does anyone really think all of these guys are going to sit out? What happens if Point signs for 9 or less? What happens if Rantanen signs for less than 10? And they get term? Are those guys all going to wait until Marner signs? Dubas has way more power in this negotiation than people think, he can just keep waiting, he's offered good deals and Marner can take them, or wait it out until the market is set by someone else and then risk losing these current offers.

If I was Dubas, I'd say "those are the offers, they will be in place until the market shifts at which time I'll pull them off the table and re-evaluate."

What is Ferris going to do then? Keep saying Matthews is his comparable even though Aho, Rantanen, Point, and whoever else have signed for less? At some point Marner and his dad are going to have to say enough is enough, sitting out for a whole season shouldn't be an option and I highly doubt they'll have any thirst for that. That is quickly becoming his only option, negotiate in good faith or sit for a whole year.

Dubas is in the driver seat and Ferris once again, is going to lose big while playing chicken.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$8,750,000
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$80,659,699$0$0$840,301
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$8,750,000$8,750,000
RW
UFA - 6
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 7, 2019 at 11:32 a.m.
KFTW
If im Marner i want 4 years x 11 mill and im not moving off my ask
Aug. 7, 2019 at 11:35 a.m.
? San Jose Sharks ?
I believe point Rantanen etc have some deals in place. Not set in stone but you get what I mean. Aho realistically deserves 9 imo, marner deserves ahos contract, point and Rantanen realistically both are good at 9.5 but one of them may get that 10. Id think if marner gets 10 it’s gonna cause headaches. For more then just the leafs. Someone said it yesterday (can’t remember which leafs fan on here) but he said if marner does get a 10m x 3 y than it’s actually bad for the entire league and I agree. I get marner wants to get paid but these RFAs nowadays/ maybe their agents are getting greedy/ lazy. I understand wanting to get paid I think we all do haha, but Toronto is a huge market making 8-9 mil instead of 10 isn’t gonna ruin his life because he’s got so many sponsors, Christ I saw that Apple ad he had atleast 8259 times this year
Aug. 7, 2019 at 11:40 a.m.
You know Marner is going to win if he signs a 3 year deal right? Sure, he's not going to get the 3x10M. But Marner wants the UFA status in 4 to 5 years, TOR wants to avoid this. All he has to do is either sign his QO or go through the arbitration process and he's an UFA in 4 to 5 years. So give Marner a 3 year deal and he'll be forcing himself towards an UFA status in 4 to 5 years from now
Aug. 7, 2019 at 11:45 a.m.
Quoting: csick

4 yr term is out of the question. unreasonable to ask for.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 12:17 p.m.
Bcarlo25

then he won't play in the NHL. No one will ever offer him 4 years.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 12:25 p.m.
Banned

Just like Josh Anderson and AA in Detroit wouldn't move. How well did that work out for them. You can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which gets filled first. The reality is, the market will dictate what Marner gets paid not Ferris or his dad and if he wants to play in TO which he has said numerous times he does, then he's going to have to sign for a reasonable price. End of story and Dubas can wait for the time when that happens. 4x11 is a joke and obviously a Sens fan would want to see that.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 12:27 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Ccc
I believe point Rantanen etc have some deals in place. Not set in stone but you get what I mean. Aho realistically deserves 9 imo, marner deserves ahos contract, point and Rantanen realistically both are good at 9.5 but one of them may get that 10. Id think if marner gets 10 it’s gonna cause headaches. For more then just the leafs. Someone said it yesterday (can’t remember which leafs fan on here) but he said if marner does get a 10m x 3 y than it’s actually bad for the entire league and I agree. I get marner wants to get paid but these RFAs nowadays/ maybe their agents are getting greedy/ lazy. I understand wanting to get paid I think we all do haha, but Toronto is a huge market making 8-9 mil instead of 10 isn’t gonna ruin his life because he’s got so many sponsors, Christ I saw that Apple ad he had atleast 8259 times this year

Dubas understands this as well, and as much as Ferris will keep blustering his nonsense out there, the reality is that once the other RFA's start signing, then Marners options are to play fair or sit and I doubt he'll want to sit.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 12:28 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Quoting: LoganOllivier
Just like Josh Anderson and AA in Detroit wouldn't move. How well did that work out for them. You can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which gets filled first. The reality is, the market will dictate what Marner gets paid not Ferris or his dad and if he wants to play in TO which he has said numerous times he does, then he's going to have to sign for a reasonable price. End of story and Dubas can wait for the time when that happens. 4x11 is a joke and obviously a Sens fan would want to see that.

just for the record, I wouldn't want to see such a deal. "only one player has signed a deal that walked him directly to UFA," doesn't quite have the same ring to it.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 12:29 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: WellIDK
You know Marner is going to win if he signs a 3 year deal right? Sure, he's not going to get the 3x10M. But Marner wants the UFA status in 4 to 5 years, TOR wants to avoid this. All he has to do is either sign his QO or go through the arbitration process and he's an UFA in 4 to 5 years. So give Marner a 3 year deal and he'll be forcing himself towards an UFA status in 4 to 5 years from now

And? He's still going to have to take market fair deals down the road or go somewhere else. That's the end of the story, sure someone might pay him 15 million in 4 years when he's RFA, but teams that will be willing to pay that kind of price will be desperate teams out of the playoff picture. So what do you want Marner, to play for a great team or be teh star in a smaller market that is rebuilding and willing to throw way too much money at you.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 12:41 p.m.
And? He's still going to have to take market fair deals down the road or go somewhere else. That's the end of the story, sure someone might pay him 15 million in 4 years when he's RFA, but teams that will be willing to pay that kind of price will be desperate teams out of the playoff picture. So what do you want Marner, to play for a great team or be teh star in a smaller market that is rebuilding and willing to throw way too much money at you.

Lot of assumptions lol. Who says only rebuilding teams could afford him in 5 years, who says Toronto would be that great (Tavares won't be the same player, potentially losing players like Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Johnsson etc to free agency). Toronto would need a lot of cap space for just Matthews and Marner in 5 years.

All we know right now is: Toronto doesn't want Marner to expire in the same period as Matthews and Nylander. Signing him to a 3 year deal would hurt Toronto, even if the AAV is below 9M, because it puts Marner in the driver seat. He could force himself to an UFA status in the same span as Matthews etc. Toronto wants to avoid a scenario like that, so signing him to a 3 year deal wouldn't help. That's all I'm saying.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 12:56 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: WellIDK
Lot of assumptions lol. Who says only rebuilding teams could afford him in 5 years, who says Toronto would be that great (Tavares won't be the same player, potentially losing players like Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Johnsson etc to free agency). Toronto would need a lot of cap space for just Matthews and Marner in 5 years.

All we know right now is: Toronto doesn't want Marner to expire in the same period as Matthews and Nylander. Signing him to a 3 year deal would hurt Toronto, even if the AAV is below 9M, because it puts Marner in the driver seat. He could force himself to an UFA status in the same span as Matthews etc. Toronto wants to avoid a scenario like that, so signing him to a 3 year deal wouldn't help. That's all I'm saying.

So what? If he wants to force anything he can be traded. And easily, there would be teams lining up for his services and they'd pay a premium. He isn't at all in the driver seat. Ferris is a joke, and he's losing this again. If you are the only one in the league who thinks he should get the same contract as Matthews, who's the fool? Everyone else or just you? Chances are if everyone else in the world sees things differently than you, there is a good reason for that.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 12:57 p.m.
Best description I've read on the current state of this saga yet
Aug. 7, 2019 at 1:04 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: blowing_the_zone
Best description I've read on the current state of this saga yet

Thanks kind sir.

I really feel that Dubas has this under control. Ferris is a goof and is his only hope was that Dubas would panic, which he isn't. I think the TSN story is very telling. Read between the lines on that one and Dubas is essentially saying, "well we've put our offers out there, we'll let this stand for the time being. The other RFA's can make the next move, and once they do, we will re-evaluate." Does Ferris really think everyone is going to hold out? I bet he's sweating.
blowing_the_zone liked this.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 1:09 p.m.
Thanks kind sir.

I really feel that Dubas has this under control. Ferris is a goof and is his only hope was that Dubas would panic, which he isn't. I think the TSN story is very telling. Read between the lines on that one and Dubas is essentially saying, "well we've put our offers out there, we'll let this stand for the time being. The other RFA's can make the next move, and once they do, we will re-evaluate." Does Ferris really think everyone is going to hold out? I bet he's sweating.

Pretty much spot on. I'd only add that Marner's camp badly misread how the fanbase would react to all this.
Aug. 7, 2019 at 1:14 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: blowing_the_zone
Pretty much spot on. I'd only add that Marner's camp badly misread how the fanbase would react to all this.

Which after watching how many people turned on Nylander, how could you misread this? LOL
Aug. 7, 2019 at 1:25 p.m.
Which after watching how many people turned on Nylander, how could you misread this? LOL

Definition of deluded.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll