SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Will the pens make the playoffs

Will they
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 11, 2019 at 1:07 a.m.
Quoting: mtdavis311
Barring an injury to a key player, the Pens will finish top 4 in the Metro. This is the same ol' song and dance everyone did after they lost in the 1st round in 2015. Crosby was declining, the defense was washed up, etc... then they won back to back cups.

All true, but nobody could have anticipated Murray's breakout success or Guentzel's for that matter. They were also much deeper both offensively and defensively during the 2 Cup runs. I'd never thought I'd bet against Sid and Geno, but I do believe they'll miss next season. They're treading water while other teams around them have improved substantially.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Aug. 11, 2019 at 1:14 a.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
What's wrong with their defence? Definitely not great, but their top-4 is Letang, Schultz, Dumoulin, and Gudbranson/Pettersson ... that 4th spot is a bit of a problem, but not too bad.

I think you're right on the money here. PIT's defense, at least their top 4, is at least league average. I think their problem is secondary scoring/offensive depth. Their bottom 6 is too weak compared to other potential playoff teams in the Metro. Aside from NYI, CBJ and possibly CAR PIT should have the weakest bottom six in the Metro. And NYI and CAR are probably the 2 best defensive teams in the division, in my opinion.
Aug. 11, 2019 at 11:05 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Brian2016
A lot depends on Murray's health and whether or not Malkin bounces back, but I think they'll miss. They'll be in the mix til April, but at the end of the day NJD and NYR are drastically improved from last season. Both teams have added superior depth this summer through the draft, via trades, and through free agency. I'm gonna predict that both those teams make it along with FLA from the Atlantic. CBJ, NYI, and PIT will drop out of the top 8.

I have the 4 teams in the Atlantic who (almost) everyone's picking plus Washington, NYR, Philly, and Carolina (not in that order) ... so, i don't have NJD missing but i have the same three teams falling out.
Aug. 11, 2019 at 11:08 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
I think you're right on the money here. PIT's defense, at least their top 4, is at least league average. I think their problem is secondary scoring/offensive depth. Their bottom 6 is too weak compared to other potential playoff teams in the Metro. Aside from NYI, CBJ and possibly CAR PIT should have the weakest bottom six in the Metro. And NYI and CAR are probably the 2 best defensive teams in the division, in my opinion.

I do think the Penguins' defence is below league average, but it's better than Detroit, Ottawa, Winnipeg and (probably) Vegas to name a few. Winnipeg's D has gotten worse this offseason, obviously.
Brian2016 liked this.
Aug. 11, 2019 at 11:09 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
What i find funny is how many people are going "bold" and saying Pittsburgh misses the playoffs ... i think they miss but that seriously is not close to being "bold" ... the majority of people are picking Pittsburgh to miss, i'm pretty sure.
SpaghettiPasta liked this.
Aug. 11, 2019 at 1:20 p.m.
I do think the Penguins' defence is below league average, but it's better than Detroit, Ottawa, Winnipeg and (probably) Vegas to name a few. Winnipeg's D has gotten worse this offseason, obviously.

Personally, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Winnipeg missed the playoffs either. They haven't improved offensively (they're still excellent though) and their D has been decimated this summer. Hellebyuck needs to repeat what he did in 2017-18 or at least come close for the Jets to be successful. Teams like Chicago, Colorado, and Dallas have all improved this summer and STL and NSH are gonna be strong. I'm just thinking the Jets will be in a dog fight all season just to get in to the playoffs.

You mentioned Vegas as being pretty weak defensively, too. I defiantly agree. But Vegas has, in my opinion, the most prolific offense in the league. They can score with anyone.
Aug. 11, 2019 at 2:26 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Personally, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Winnipeg missed the playoffs either. They haven't improved offensively (they're still excellent though) and their D has been decimated this summer. Hellebyuck needs to repeat what he did in 2017-18 or at least come close for the Jets to be successful. Teams like Chicago, Colorado, and Dallas have all improved this summer and STL and NSH are gonna be strong. I'm just thinking the Jets will be in a dog fight all season just to get in to the playoffs.

You mentioned Vegas as being pretty weak defensively, too. I defiantly agree. But Vegas has, in my opinion, the most prolific offense in the league. They can score with anyone.

The offence for the Golden Knights is very good ... the defence isn't good enough though if you ask me ... it's good on the left side but not good enough on the right side. Winnipeg totally could miss ... lots of people are picking them as a WC team and some are picking them to miss. I have them as the 2nd wild card in the west. They have a really good top-6 and if guys like Roslovic and Appleton start scoring a lot, the forwards are very good, and Hellebuyck is a good goalie ... i don't think he'll be as good as he was in 2017-18 but i think he'll be better than he was this past season. The defence has gotten much worse though.
Aug. 12, 2019 at 6:15 a.m.
gregb569
This is exactly why they could make it ... i don't think they will though.

Okay
Aug. 12, 2019 at 8:03 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: gregb569
Okay

I'm saying you made good points but i still don't think they will make it.
Aug. 13, 2019 at 6:09 a.m.
gregb569
I'm saying you made good points but i still don't think they will make it.

and I'm saying okay
Aug. 7, 2020 at 7:23 p.m.
i hope ur hungry now
Quoting: mondo
putting the pens as a maybe for the playoffs.

their roster is no longer at the top of the metro, but they're not so bad where they'll completely falter. I think they do or die based on their divisional games.

Quoting: hanson493
IF Crosby, malkin, murray stay healthy. yes. If not, nope.

Quoting: krakowitz
Crosby and Malkin are still two elite centers, and Guentzel's great too, but the defense is a serious weak spot. I'm also not sold on Murray being able to bail out the defense all that often. I think it's going to be very, very close, and they'll be within three points of making or missing the playoffs. It'll be down to the wire

Quoting: Rodzikhockey93
@mhockey91 triggered?

Quoting: mhockey91
people hate the pens lol. they're still a good team. they're not a lock to make it but with a core of crosby/malkin/letang/guzental/dumo/murray they'll still be fine.

Quoting: mtdavis311
Barring an injury to a key player, the Pens will finish top 4 in the Metro. This is the same ol' song and dance everyone did after they lost in the 1st round in 2015. Crosby was declining, the defense was washed up, etc... then they won bac1k to back cups.

Well... not how I expected this to happen!
Aug. 8, 2020 at 12:49 a.m.
11 of us were correct after all, lol. How many of us had MTL as a playoff team? Chicago?
Aug. 8, 2020 at 11:13 a.m.

Their top 4 is one of the better top 4s in the league... they need to fix their bottom pairing
Aug. 8, 2020 at 11:14 a.m.
Quoting: SpaghettiPasta
Well... not how I expected this to happen!

Speechless
Aug. 8, 2020 at 6:17 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: mhockey91
Their top 4 is one of the better top 4s in the league... they need to fix their bottom pairing

This was last offseason lol
Aug. 8, 2020 at 6:32 p.m.
This was last offseason lol

Sorry, I got a notification from this thread
Aug. 23, 2020 at 2:19 p.m.
i hope ur hungry now
11 of us were correct after all, lol. How many of us had MTL as a playoff team? Chicago?

I thought chicago had a chance at the start of the year but i wasn't sure
Aug. 24, 2020 at 9:35 a.m.
Technically, they were tracking the play-in games with playoff stats so penguins did "make" the playoffs... Montreal still had no business being there and neither did chicago.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit