Forums/Armchair-GM

If Bowman knew what he was doing more often

Created by: Ledge_And_Dairy
Team: 2019-20 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 5, 2019
Published: Aug. 8, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
- Shaw trade was strange because it presured the Hawks cap situation over the following years. Going for Ryan Strome as a stop gap for Turcotte makes much more sense (NYR wouldn't be cap strapped in this scenario so Strome would probably cost a 2nd)
- I would probably try and trade Murphy by next year to open up more cap and make room for Boqvist/Mitchell (whoever is ready). PK'ing RD like Murphy hold decent value due to their high demand (might fetch a 3rd)
-Breadman would likely have signed a more team friendly deal since he never hit free agency (9.75 -10.5)
- Lehner was never signed due to cap space. This would also Give Delia the chance he deserves as well as Lankinen a full time position in the AHL, I think both goalies show a lot of promise.

*the De Haan trade would have been a little different since Chicago orignally got Forsling in the Panarin trade, However I still think it would have happened*

Obviously the Hawks would be in Cap Hell for 2020-2021 and a couple middle pieces would have to move
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,250,000
Trades
CHI
  1. Kahun, Dominik
Additional Details:
2019 5th
CHI
  1. Turcotte, Alex [Reserve List]
Additional Details:
Turcotte was definitely the correct choice
CHI
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (CHI)
  2. 2020 7th round pick (CHI)
  3. 2021 3rd round pick (CHI)
MTL
  1. Shaw, Andrew
  2. 2021 7th round pick (MTL)
NYR
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (CHI)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$71,072,985$0$6,632,500$10,427,015
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Rangers
$11,642,857$11,642,857
LW
NMC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,475,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Rangers
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RD
RFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$1,400,000$1,400,000
G
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 8, 2019 at 3:47 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Okey this is strange, couple of moves he did I liked and some I didnt but I liked that he drafted Dach! Why do you think it was correct to draft Turcotte may I ask?
Aug. 8, 2019 at 3:55 a.m.
Quoting: SammyT_51
Okey this is strange, couple of moves he did I liked and some I didnt but I liked that he drafted Dach! Why do you think it was correct to draft Turcotte may I ask?

That one is like 60/40 to me I think Turcotte is more well rounded and more NHL ready than Dach. I also think the whole home town thing for Turcotte would have made him more motivated to maximize his potential. Turcotte also plays a similar style to Toews which makes mentoring him and bringing him into the line up much easier
Aug. 8, 2019 at 4:49 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
That one is like 60/40 to me I think Turcotte is more well rounded and more NHL ready than Dach. I also think the whole home town thing for Turcotte would have made him more motivated to maximize his potential. Turcotte also plays a similar style to Toews which makes mentoring him and bringing him into the line up much easier

More nhl ready ? If im not mistaken there only two player that jumb directly from the ushl to the nhl. Tom barasso and phil housley. So turcotte have a lot too learn he will play at least 2 season at university. Even if i think turcotte as more upside to is game dach have a reel chance of making the club this year all depend on is skating improvement
Aug. 8, 2019 at 4:53 a.m.
Quoting: Sebybbq
More nhl ready ? If im not mistaken there only two player that jumb directly from the ushl to the nhl. Tom barasso and phil housley. So turcotte have a lot too learn he will play at least 2 season at university. Even if i think turcotte as more upside to is game dach have a reel chance of making the club this year all depend on is skating improvement

Neither of them will play in the NHL this year
Pharow and ChiHawk liked this.
Aug. 8, 2019 at 5:35 a.m.
Old Timer
As a Ranger fan I say yes. I'd to it for a 3rd actually.
Turcotte or Dach? I'd lean Turcotte but it's so close. I would say that sometimes the pressure of playing in your hometown makes it harder.
ChiHawk liked this.
Aug. 8, 2019 at 5:53 a.m.
Banned
I get what he's saying about Turcotte, but honestly, Dach has more potential.
Aug. 8, 2019 at 6:26 a.m.
I'd have gone Cozens over Dach or Turcotte, but they're all so close it doesn't matter. Nobody has any idea which guy will be better or worse than whoever the hell.
Aug. 8, 2019 at 7:28 a.m.
Quoting: SammyT_51

He doesnt *think*, he *KNOWS*

: tearsofjoy
Aug. 8, 2019 at 7:29 a.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy

"I was going to try hard, but, I'm not playing in my hometown, so what do I care?"
Aug. 8, 2019 at 8:43 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
When cap seems to be "king" those trades to acquire Shaw, DeHaan and Maatta...seems most puzzling 12.5m with term. The extension of Seabrook at 6.8m long term seems to have started the cap problems.
Aug. 8, 2019 at 11:38 a.m.
The Maatta trade given the cap difference is puzzeling for me. I simply don't get it as Maatta is horrible slow and don't see him beyond a 3rd liner.

The DeHaan trade makes a lot of sense especially reversing the Maatta trade and Jokiharju trade.

The Jokiharju trade will go down as one of the worst Bowman trades of his career.

The Shaw trade I believe was a bit overpayment given his injury history the last few years and his cap hit is a bit high for a guy that hasn't played a full season in 3 years. However, he's a welcome addition back.

The Anisimov for Smith trade is a good hockey trade in value for the most part but I don't like that we took on that much cap and term with Smith and a NTC with it for 2 years. I think he will serve a good role this year, similar to what Kruger did in the cup years, but that's the kind of move that we will feel next offseason when we are in a cap crunch again. We should have dumped AA even for 4th rounder given that we signed Carpentar.

I think Turcotte should have been the choice as well. I project Turcotte as a 1C or 2C while Dach as a 2C or 3C depending on players hitting their highest potential. Turcotte has more talent IMO but he will take more time, at least a year or 2 in the NCAA. Dach, because of his size, could potentially play this year and should definitely next year but he just doesn't have the pure talent of Turcotte. I wouldn't be surprised if Turcotte reaches his full potential to be as good or very close to Hughes.
exo2769 and Ledge_And_Dairy liked this.
Aug. 8, 2019 at 1:55 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: ChiHawk
The Maatta trade given the cap difference is puzzeling for me. I simply don't get it as Maatta is horrible slow and don't see him beyond a 3rd liner.

The DeHaan trade makes a lot of sense especially reversing the Maatta trade and Jokiharju trade.

The Jokiharju trade will go down as one of the worst Bowman trades of his career.

The Shaw trade I believe was a bit overpayment given his injury history the last few years and his cap hit is a bit high for a guy that hasn't played a full season in 3 years. However, he's a welcome addition back.

The Anisimov for Smith trade is a good hockey trade in value for the most part but I don't like that we took on that much cap and term with Smith and a NTC with it for 2 years. I think he will serve a good role this year, similar to what Kruger did in the cup years, but that's the kind of move that we will feel next offseason when we are in a cap crunch again. We should have dumped AA even for 4th rounder given that we signed Carpentar.

I think Turcotte should have been the choice as well. I project Turcotte as a 1C or 2C while Dach as a 2C or 3C depending on players hitting their highest potential. Turcotte has more talent IMO but he will take more time, at least a year or 2 in the NCAA. Dach, because of his size, could potentially play this year and should definitely next year but he just doesn't have the pure talent of Turcotte. I wouldn't be surprised if Turcotte reaches his full potential to be as good or very close to Hughes.

Agree with 99.9% of this. I would have been fine with Turcotte, but I don't see Dach as a PROJECTED #3C as realistic. He could very well be the #3C this year with Saad/Shaw as his wingers. The reason it could happen this year is because that Saad/Shaw is a lot of development protection. Saad and Shaw are true quality middle 6 wingers that could each play the top line if required. What else could a rookie ask for than be between those two? I get and understand that he'll get more minutes in Saskatoon and play in all situations which he won't in CHI, but he won't play in all situations regardless of when he makes the team.
ChiHawk liked this.
Aug. 8, 2019 at 2:09 p.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk

Agreed. Maata trade made no sesne to me what so ever if DeHaan was also the plan. There is a 95% chance he has to be bought out now.

Love the De Haan trade, fantastic he will be a great 2nd/3rd pair

Joker trade should have gotten him fired

I like Shaw, i just dont think he fits the team with his 3 years. I think going after the other aLStrome made a lot more sense as he could play 3c for a year then Turcotte/Dach could step in and he either walks or moves to his brothers wing.

I personally like the Smith trade, saved cap space shile reppacing Kruger (team needed another PKer)

The idea of drafting Turcotte is to eventually replace Toews. I just don't see Dach doing that. I think he will be a great 2c caliber player but not 1C.
ChiHawk liked this.
Aug. 8, 2019 at 3:00 p.m.
Quoting: exo2769
Agree with 99.9% of this. I would have been fine with Turcotte, but I don't see Dach as a PROJECTED #3C as realistic. He could very well be the #3C this year with Saad/Shaw as his wingers. The reason it could happen this year is because that Saad/Shaw is a lot of development protection. Saad and Shaw are true quality middle 6 wingers that could each play the top line if required. What else could a rookie ask for than be between those two? I get and understand that he'll get more minutes in Saskatoon and play in all situations which he won't in CHI, but he won't play in all situations regardless of when he makes the team.

I'm thinking that if Turcotte or Dach should be 100% sure to be a 2C (Turcotte) or 3C (Dach). I just think there's a better then 50% chance Dach is a 2C and Turcotte 1C...I see more upside in Turcotte. As such, Turcotte would have been the better pick if the Hawks were willing to wait 2 years at least if not 3 for development.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll