Forums/Armchair-GM

Klefbom for Lehkonen and Poehling and Carolina Trade

Created by: OldNYIfan
Team: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 8, 2019
Published: Aug. 8, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Might as well wait for Broberg and Bouchard.

One year of development and this team is likely to be in the playoffs in 2020-2021.
Trades
EDM
  1. Lehkonen, Artturi
  2. Poehling, Ryan
  3. Romanov, Alexander [Reserve List]
  4. 2020 1st round pick (MTL)
  5. 2020 4th round pick (WPG)
MTL
  1. Klefbom, Oscar
  2. Puljujärvi, Jesse [RFA Rights]
  3. 2020 3rd round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Fleury, Haydn
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (CAR)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$75,629,999$0$3,307,500$5,870,001
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 7
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$2,150,000$2,150,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,300,000$1,300,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
C
UFA - 1
$2,835,000$2,835,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000 (Performance Bonus$1,750,000$2M)
G
NTC
UFA - 1
$720,000$720,000 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 8, 2019 at 11:39 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: F50marco
I personally wouldn't take that EDM offer AT ALL. Simply too much to pay for a good but not great Klefbom.

And my point is that with the current defense on the left, Montreal is looking at a 12-15 draft pick again next June.
Aug. 8, 2019 at 11:40 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Fleurdelille
I think the value is fairly steep for MTL, Poehling, Romanov + a 1st for Klefbom, sure he has a sweetheart contract but thats rich. It is an original idea, I will give you props for that. Just think MTL is giving up one asset too many

Fair enough. And Romanov might be too high a prospect, too.
Aug. 8, 2019 at 11:53 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I would certainly accept substituting Ikonen or Ylonen for Romanov, but you must remember that there is appreciable risk in assuming a Russian prospect will come over here.

He was in montreal last june for the prospect camp. He is under contract with moscow until the end of this season and after is coming to the nhl there no doubt there. The only reason he won’t be in montreal this season is for is contract in russia.
I think if edmonton want to maximize the return for klefbom they mist ship him to a contending team like dallas or Washington. Because montreal isn’t in a rush and won’t give up those asset unless the return is a all star young gun like i mentioned. Team like dallas washington Pittsburgh tampa bay must win in few year because their core player start to get older
OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 8, 2019 at 11:58 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
I would certainly accept substituting Ikonen or Ylonen for Romanov, but you must remember that there is appreciable risk in assuming a Russian prospect will come over here.

That Ylonen kid looked awesome at the World Junior Tournament, he'd be a good prospect to get and really the Oilers have plenty of good defense prospects, I think they'd be better off trying to get some wing and center prospects.
ColonelX and OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 9, 2019 at 12:05 a.m.
MTL declines hard.

Romanov will be better than Klefbom in a couple years just watch. Poehling is a stud prospect with top 6 upside and a 1st in 2020 when the draft is in MTL? Not even close.
Aug. 9, 2019 at 1:21 a.m.
Simpleton
Quoting: gmurrayt
Break the parts down in that trade:

Lehkonen > Puli
Montreal 1rst >>> Edmonton 3rd

That means Klefbom must be much, much better than the combination of Poehling, Romanov, and a 4th round pick. Montreal would not even think of trading those 3 assets for for Klefborm alone. So if you look at each of those 3 trades, Edmonton wins each one. Combine the 3 together, and it is a landslide. Not saying Klefborm is worthless by any means, but neither is he a top 2D. Just because he may be the best LD on Montreal, doesn't mean he is worth the package I outlined above.

The value of Klefbom vs the value of Poehling, Romanov and the 4th is rather dependent on how close to legitimate contention Bergevin and Holland believe their respective teams are, and which other defenceman are available to the Habs.

While I believe the proposed return is quite rich, I disagree with the misinformed opinion that Klefbom is not a top 2D. He's not a top D, but adding Klefbom in Montreal seriously helps Weber and instantly improves the Hab's top defensive pair. despite Montreals relative success with former Edmonton D, its debatable whether adding Klrfbom would be enough to make Montreal a real contender in the east. I doubt it would move the needle enough to tempt Bergevin.

From Holland's perspective, moving Klefbom out of Edmonton essentially sets back any hope of Oiler play-off hockey by at least two seasons, and it is doubtful that the trade return would make that a worthwhile sacrifice. I think Klefbom likely isn't going anywhere else in the near future. Trading him may become an option in the final year of his current contract, but only if Nurse continues his positive development trajectory, and Jones and Lagesson prove to be full-time NHLers by then.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 9, 2019 at 4:17 a.m.
From my perspective as a Habs fan, and therefore not entirely objective, Klefbom is a younger, cheaper, left handed Jeff Petry. While I wouldn't trade Petry for less than a decent(b+) prospect and an unprotected 1st, or a solid prospect(a-) and a 2nd at minimum (and that's without retention and only at the deadline if MTL is out of the Playoffs and 1 of Brooks or Fleury solid 20min/gm potential along with a Juulsen bounce back from injury), I also wouldn't expect a team that wasn't a decent 2nd pairing dman from an almost sure cup run to pay that. Romanov and Poehling are both top end Prospects, Romanov was most valuable defenseman at the Juniors, in the year immediately after he was drafted, where the older and relatively highly regarded Erik Brannstrom was also competing, and Poehling, even without the hat trick in his 1st game, has shown that he has the pieces to be at least what Danault was last season and will most likely be better. I'm not really counting him being most valuable forward at the juniors that big of a deal, he was in his last eligible year so he should be performing at that kind of level if he was worth using a 1st round pick on.
Given that Klefbom is younger, cheaper and has some term (pros), while also taking into account his injury history(cons) and that I made the comparison to Petry, I figure I'll show a Petry to EDM trade using your trade as a base. To EDM - Petry, To MTL - Yamamoto, Bouchard and a 1st. No way EDM does that trade right now, unless they have really dropped there opinion of Bouchard, never mind adding Yamamoto.
A realistic Klefbom to MTL trade in terms of value likely doesn't happen. MTL isn't in a position to give up high end prospects or unprotected 1st's, and EDM needs high end prospects or unprotected 1st's or they wouldn't be trading Klefbom.
ColonelX and OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 9, 2019 at 10:27 a.m.
And my point is that with the current defense on the left, Montreal is looking at a 12-15 draft pick again next June.

Possibly. Doesn't mean they should mortgage their future for a player they're not sure of.
Aug. 9, 2019 at 10:57 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: uphere
The value of Klefbom vs the value of Poehling, Romanov and the 4th is rather dependent on how close to legitimate contention Bergevin and Holland believe their respective teams are, and which other defenceman are available to the Habs.

While I believe the proposed return is quite rich, I disagree with the misinformed opinion that Klefbom is not a top 2D. He's not a top D, but adding Klefbom in Montreal seriously helps Weber and instantly improves the Hab's top defensive pair. despite Montreals relative success with former Edmonton D, its debatable whether adding Klrfbom would be enough to make Montreal a real contender in the east. I doubt it would move the needle enough to tempt Bergevin.

From Holland's perspective, moving Klefbom out of Edmonton essentially sets back any hope of Oiler play-off hockey by at least two seasons, and it is doubtful that the trade return would make that a worthwhile sacrifice. I think Klefbom likely isn't going anywhere else in the near future. Trading him may become an option in the final year of his current contract, but only if Nurse continues his positive development trajectory, and Jones and Lagesson prove to be full-time NHLers by then.

Very well-reasoned analysis.
Aug. 9, 2019 at 11:00 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: J2W
From my perspective as a Habs fan, and therefore not entirely objective, Klefbom is a younger, cheaper, left handed Jeff Petry. While I wouldn't trade Petry for less than a decent(b+) prospect and an unprotected 1st, or a solid prospect(a-) and a 2nd at minimum (and that's without retention and only at the deadline if MTL is out of the Playoffs and 1 of Brooks or Fleury solid 20min/gm potential along with a Juulsen bounce back from injury), I also wouldn't expect a team that wasn't a decent 2nd pairing dman from an almost sure cup run to pay that. Romanov and Poehling are both top end Prospects, Romanov was most valuable defenseman at the Juniors, in the year immediately after he was drafted, where the older and relatively highly regarded Erik Brannstrom was also competing, and Poehling, even without the hat trick in his 1st game, has shown that he has the pieces to be at least what Danault was last season and will most likely be better. I'm not really counting him being most valuable forward at the juniors that big of a deal, he was in his last eligible year so he should be performing at that kind of level if he was worth using a 1st round pick on.
Given that Klefbom is younger, cheaper and has some term (pros), while also taking into account his injury history(cons) and that I made the comparison to Petry, I figure I'll show a Petry to EDM trade using your trade as a base. To EDM - Petry, To MTL - Yamamoto, Bouchard and a 1st. No way EDM does that trade right now, unless they have really dropped there opinion of Bouchard, never mind adding Yamamoto.
A realistic Klefbom to MTL trade in terms of value likely doesn't happen. MTL isn't in a position to give up high end prospects or unprotected 1st's, and EDM needs high end prospects or unprotected 1st's or they wouldn't be trading Klefbom.

Thank you for your intelligent input.

As opposed to the usual "No way" or "Are you kidding?" comments, all of the rational responses I've received to this construction have me persuaded that Klefbom to Montreal is not the slam-dunk plus I thought it was. Thanks, everybody!
J2W liked this.
Aug. 9, 2019 at 11:16 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Thank you for your intelligent input.

As opposed to the usual "No way" or "Are you kidding?" comments, all of the rational responses I've received to this construction have me persuaded that Klefbom to Montreal is not the slam-dunk plus I thought it was. Thanks, everybody!

I think a Klefbom to Montreal trade does make sense but your ask from the Habs was a bit high.

Also some(Note: I said some not all before you lose your minds) Habs fans are irrational, they don't want to part with any good prospects, think Price and Weber will never age and expect great returns for their depth players, no joke one Habs fans on here thought Hudon was worth a 1st... ?

I think a Tatar+ for Klefbom trade makes sense for both teams.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 9, 2019 at 3:16 p.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
I think a Klefbom to Montreal trade does make sense but your ask from the Habs was a bit high.

Also some(Note: I said some not all before you lose your minds) Habs fans are irrational, they don't want to part with any good prospects, think Price and Weber will never age and expect great returns for their depth players, no joke one Habs fans on here thought Hudon was worth a 1st... ?

I think a Tatar+ for Klefbom trade makes sense for both teams.

In defense of some of the other Habs fans on here, guys like Rinne (ignore certain playoff rounds) and Lundqvist (spelled it right 1st try btw's) have shown that goalie's can stay at near enough to peak form that Price's age has a good chance of being a non-factor for nearly his whole contract, he isn't at the win now point. And Weber has an immediate in division comparable in Chara, who is bigger, but played a similar enough game that Weber hitting a ceiling and dropping off like a bomb isn't an in your face concern. Hudon being worth a 1st, I have no idea, maybe it was a joke because he has better career totals than Puljujarvi and JP is worth a 2nd plus to some, again IDK not even gonna try to defend that if it was serious. Some of the other depth guys would take higher than a normal offer because they are one of, if not the only one, to fill a certain role but that happens with every team and fanbase.
Tatar+ for Klefbom makes sense depending of the + (multiple 1st or high end prospect obviously doesn't work as this thread has established), LW is probably the biggest strength right now at the NHL level so that would be the choice to move from and it wouldn't sacrifice much of the future even if it doesn't translate the way it should.
Aug. 9, 2019 at 3:45 p.m.
There are some seriously delusional MTL fans on here.
Aug. 9, 2019 at 3:47 p.m.
LOL at Haydn Fleury playing top-4.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll