SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

20 team Playoff

Do you like the idea of a 20 team playoff tournament?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 15, 2019 at 1:54 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: hanson493
I answered it and said competitive balance. if there are less "deadline deals" you dont have teams like columbus selling the farm for guys like duchene and dzingel. theres less demand for players to elevate the squad at the deadline because there is more of a chance you will get in with your current squad and anything can happen. Think about if that columbus trade for duchene and dzingel doesnt happen. sure columbus might not sweep the lightning. but they dont give up any assets because they are already in. Less player movement means stagnant teams. Ottawa gets none of that draft capitol. Flyers are still in it do they trade simmonds? does this influence the stone trade at all meaning does it now cost more to get stone than it already did? Does granlund or coyle get moved because minnesota is still in it at 20 teams. There were alot of trades that went down around the trade deadline there were a decent amount of pieces moved. if you add more teams to the playoff hunt. less teams are willing to buy/sell. this changes the entire landscape of the nhl and how you go about buying and selling and building a roster.

I already said i completely understand HOW it creates less deadline deals. My question is why you think it's important to have more deadline deals.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 1:56 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
I already said i completely understand HOW it creates less deadline deals. My question is why you think it's important to have more deadline deals.

I ALREADY SAID COMPETITIVE BALANCE. Holy crap RAIF lol. 3rd time ive said it now.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 1:59 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I ALREADY SAID COMPETITIVE BALANCE. Holy crap RAIF lol. 3rd time ive said it now.

So, if the top teams add more players to their roster that makes it more exciting? I get why teams want to do this but it makes it less exciting for fans IMO ... if teams like CBJ make those moves, though, it makes it a lot more interesting. But i don't really care if the top teams do because it's so unpredictable.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 2:13 p.m.
So, if the top teams add more players to their roster that makes it more exciting? I get why teams want to do this but it makes it less exciting for fans IMO ... if teams like CBJ make those moves, though, it makes it a lot more interesting. But i don't really care if the top teams do because it's so unpredictable.

You arent thinking about it correctly here. Because there are less teams that can reach the playoffs right now, there are more teams that will oblige to selling players for a quicker rebuild. If you add more teams to the playoff hunt, less teams want to sell because they might still be in the race come the deadline. If columbus is already at the 7/8 seed they arent getting duchene or dzingel. Trade deadline draws its own fan interest. as a playoff hopeful you are seeing if your team is going to do anything to increase its odds at winning the cup. all about supply and demand. If 24-26 teams are still in it at the TDL only 6-8 teams would be sellers. as opposed to if only 16-20 teams are in it at the TDL, you have 12-16 teams that can be sellers. This allows for more "big trades" quicker rebuilds/roster turnover. Its not about the top teams getting more stacked. its more about the middling teams not making moves and the bottom teams holding onto assets. You essentially eliminate the rental player trades by adding more competition.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 2:16 p.m.

essentially im saying if you expand the playoffs from 16 to 20. cbj doesnt trade for duchene or dzingel. rosters will stay more intact and there will be less movement. FA will still be hectic but there will definitely be less in season player movement if more teams get added to the playoff. This adds to the craziness of the season. It helps bad teams get better faster and it helps good teams get better short term. With 20 teams in... the top 6-8 would be the only teams buying and the bottom 6-8 would be the only teams selling. if that makes sense.
UpsideDownQue liked this.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 5:53 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
You arent thinking about it correctly here. Because there are less teams that can reach the playoffs right now, there are more teams that will oblige to selling players for a quicker rebuild. If you add more teams to the playoff hunt, less teams want to sell because they might still be in the race come the deadline. If columbus is already at the 7/8 seed they arent getting duchene or dzingel. Trade deadline draws its own fan interest. as a playoff hopeful you are seeing if your team is going to do anything to increase its odds at winning the cup. all about supply and demand. If 24-26 teams are still in it at the TDL only 6-8 teams would be sellers. as opposed to if only 16-20 teams are in it at the TDL, you have 12-16 teams that can be sellers. This allows for more "big trades" quicker rebuilds/roster turnover. Its not about the top teams getting more stacked. its more about the middling teams not making moves and the bottom teams holding onto assets. You essentially eliminate the rental player trades by adding more competition.

essentially im saying if you expand the playoffs from 16 to 20. cbj doesnt trade for duchene or dzingel. rosters will stay more intact and there will be less movement. FA will still be hectic but there will definitely be less in season player movement if more teams get added to the playoff. This adds to the craziness of the season. It helps bad teams get better faster and it helps good teams get better short term. With 20 teams in... the top 6-8 would be the only teams buying and the bottom 6-8 would be the only teams selling. if that makes sense.

It makes sense but the question i've been asking the whole time is why do you care if there are big deadline deals? I completely understand HOW it creates less deals, but what's so important about big deals at the deadline. All you've said about this is that it "adds to the craziness of the season" and it "draws its own fan interest". Everything else you said was about something i completely understand already ... I don't think the NHL should care how many deadline deals there are when looking at how many teams make the playoffs. The number of teams in the playoffs will change the trade deadline but i don't think the NHL will make whichever decision makes more or less deadline deals happen. For me, i like the 4 rounds, best of seven, 16 teams. That's why i don't think they should switch to 20 teams.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 6:47 p.m.
It makes sense but the question i've been asking the whole time is why do you care if there are big deadline deals? I completely understand HOW it creates less deals, but what's so important about big deals at the deadline. All you've said about this is that it "adds to the craziness of the season" and it "draws its own fan interest". Everything else you said was about something i completely understand already ... I don't think the NHL should care how many deadline deals there are when looking at how many teams make the playoffs. The number of teams in the playoffs will change the trade deadline but i don't think the NHL will make whichever decision makes more or less deadline deals happen. For me, i like the 4 rounds, best of seven, 16 teams. That's why i don't think they should switch to 20 teams.

My understanding is that in the NHL, teams generally follow a sinusoidal success curve. they go through low points during a rebuild (and get high draft picks), gradually improve as their young players develop, then have the most success when their core is in their prime (while getting lower draft picks), then begin to gradually decline as their core players age (and the lower quality of draft picks cant replace them as quickly), and then they go into another rebuild (and begin to get high draft picks again). The cycle then repeats itself. Obviously this isnt always the case since high draft picks dont always become the best players, and free agency signings as well as trades will interfere with the teams success over time. But in general, a sine wave can describe a teams success over time. Each teams sine curve has a different phase shift (eg. some teams may be in rebuild mode while other teams are in win-now mode) and different frequency (eg. rate of rebuild). With that being said...

@hanson493 is basically saying that more deadline deals leads to quicker rebuilds and roster turnover (as he has explained in detail previously). This means that the frequency of that sine wave is higher, and in a shorter time span, more teams will be set up to win. This creates more competition for the league and prevents powerhouses for dominating the league for years, and prevents teams at the bottom of the league from staying there.

That is how more deadline deals, and hence a 16 team playoff format, benefits the league
Aug. 15, 2019 at 7:08 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: moli92
My understanding is that in the NHL, teams generally follow a sinusoidal success curve. they go through low points during a rebuild (and get high draft picks), gradually improve as their young players develop, then have the most success when their core is in their prime (while getting lower draft picks), then begin to gradually decline as their core players age (and the lower quality of draft picks cant replace them as quickly), and then they go into another rebuild (and begin to get high draft picks again). The cycle then repeats itself. Obviously this isnt always the case since high draft picks dont always become the best players, and free agency signings as well as trades will interfere with the teams success over time. But in general, a sine wave can describe a teams success over time. Each teams sine curve has a different phase shift (eg. some teams may be in rebuild mode while other teams are in win-now mode) and different frequency (eg. rate of rebuild). With that being said...

@hanson493 is basically saying that more deadline deals leads to quicker rebuilds and roster turnover (as he has explained in detail previously). This means that the frequency of that sine wave is higher, and in a shorter time span, more teams will be set up to win. This creates more competition for the league and prevents powerhouses for dominating the league for years, and prevents teams at the bottom of the league from staying there.

That is how more deadline deals, and hence a 16 team playoff format, benefits the league

Okay, i mostly get it now ... also i prefer the playoffs themselves as a 4-round playoff with 16 teams.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 7:09 p.m.
Okay, i mostly get it now ... also i prefer the playoffs themselves as a 4-round playoff with 16 teams.

I agree 4 rounds and 16 teams makes it a better format too since there would be no bye weeks or anything
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 11:25 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I agree 4 rounds and 16 teams makes it a better format too since there would be no bye weeks or anything

Also, i guess the trade deadline is kind of about trades ... the draft, for example, isn't about trades (other than maybe some teams moving up and down). Every year at the draft there are always a ton of trade rumours and not much trade action ... i mean, the draft isn't really about trades at all. Sometimes you see a trade or two at the draft but it's really about drafting players ... the trade deadline, however, is really about trades ... deadline day is the day to see what trades happen. I don't watch the draft to see if any trades happen (and if so, which trades), I watch to see who goes where. Sure, if there's a trade or signing around the draft, i'm interested in hearing the news, but that's not why i watch the draft. But i check for updates on trade deadline to see which trades happen, because that's really the point of trade deadline day. It's about trades. But i don't really care if there are a lot of trades or not ... i just check because i know there are going to be trades, and i want to know which trades. But you made some good points.
Aug. 16, 2019 at 3:38 p.m.
Boo Burta Boo
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
I know this isn't the first time this idea has been thought of, but I'm looking to see the reaction to allowing 20 teams into the Stanley Cup playoffs. The most common formula to make this happen is going back to Conference seedings and have a 4 team playoff qualifier Round. Teams 1-6 in each Conference get a 'bye' week while Team 7 plays Team 10 and Team 8 plays Team 9 in a quick best out of 3 Games Round. Having Team 9 and 10 Team play Game 1 at home than both Game 2 and 3 would be played at Team 7 and Team 8 home, so a 3 games in 5 nights if needed. Though to fit this into the NHL schedule, the Regular season would be reduced to 80 games, meaning every NHL owner would have to give up one home game to increase the potential of making the Playoffs. But by allowing Team 9 and Team 10 host the first game it grants them at least 1 playoff home gate money. Or would the Top 6 Conference Teams suffer from the one week off ?

Not yet, but IMO it is on the horizon. When the league expands to 36 from 32 (and they will within the next 10-12 years), they'll have to expand the playoffs to suit owners not happy with a less than 50% chance of playoff home dates. At that point though, you're looking at four divisions/conferences of nine teams. Whether it's a wildcard playoff between 4 and 5 (more likely) or the division winner gets a bye (less likely because, money), would remain to be seen
Aug. 16, 2019 at 5:06 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: LeftistRedneck
Not yet, but IMO it is on the horizon. When the league expands to 36 from 32 (and they will within the next 10-12 years), they'll have to expand the playoffs to suit owners not happy with a less than 50% chance of playoff home dates. At that point though, you're looking at four divisions/conferences of nine teams. Whether it's a wildcard playoff between 4 and 5 (more likely) or the division winner gets a bye (less likely because, money), would remain to be seen

If it expands to 34 i'd still go with 16 teams in the playoffs.
hanson493 liked this.
Aug. 16, 2019 at 5:09 p.m.

50% would be the cutoff for me. 16 teams is fine for now, but if the league expands past 32 teams, it'll have to go to 20.

I don't think it should go to 20 for now. The playoffs should have some prestige and you should need to be a good team to get there. We already see some teams sneaking in with barely over 500 records with the current format.

Now, if we want to change the format and take the top 8 teams from each conference instead of the division/wildcard format, that's a different discussion
Aug. 16, 2019 at 5:23 p.m.
Boo Burta Boo

I could take it or leave it at 16 to be honest. Once the league gets to 36 or the eventual 40, I think 20 is an inevitability, possibly 24, although 24 might take an unlikely schedule reduction to get that done.
Aug. 16, 2019 at 5:56 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: mtdavis311
50% would be the cutoff for me. 16 teams is fine for now, but if the league expands past 32 teams, it'll have to go to 20.

I don't think it should go to 20 for now. The playoffs should have some prestige and you should need to be a good team to get there. We already see some teams sneaking in with barely over 500 records with the current format.

Now, if we want to change the format and take the top 8 teams from each conference instead of the division/wildcard format, that's a different discussion

I don't know if i see the league expanding past 32 ... if it gets to 36-40 then maybe more but if it's 34 teams i'd be fine with 16. It's less than half, but not by very much.
Aug. 20, 2019 at 10:49 a.m.
Quoting: LeftistRedneck
I could take it or leave it at 16 to be honest. Once the league gets to 36 or the eventual 40, I think 20 is an inevitability, possibly 24, although 24 might take an unlikely schedule reduction to get that done.

nfl has 32 teams and does a 12 team playoff. nhl should leave it at 16 regardless.
Aug. 20, 2019 at 10:50 a.m.

Right on the money.
Aug. 20, 2019 at 11:33 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
nfl has 32 teams and does a 12 team playoff. nhl should leave it at 16 regardless.

I mean, if it expands to 40 teams or something they could add more in the playoffs, but i just hope they don't expand to 40 teams.
Aug. 20, 2019 at 11:41 a.m.
torontos finest
I mean, if it expands to 40 teams or something they could add more in the playoffs, but i just hope they don't expand to 40 teams.

I don't think they could sustain 40 teams. That's about 200 more players at the NHL level.

Not sure there are even another 8 viable markets.
Aug. 20, 2019 at 11:42 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: mondo
I don't think they could sustain 40 teams. That's about 200 more players at the NHL level.

I don't think it'll expand to 40.
Aug. 20, 2019 at 11:54 a.m.
Quoting: mondo

i cant see 40 teams. I think 32 is pretty much it. Even 34 is a stretch. but at 34 teams i still only want 16 team playoff. if it gets to 40 (theres no way it does) but if it does then maybe think about expanding it. but ide rather less teams make the playoffs. not more.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit