SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Contract Controversy

Aug. 14, 2019 at 12:46 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Bcarlo25
should i go in order of delusion? Nah, I'll just go in your order.
1. You know a bruins fan that hates the leafs, thus all bruins fans hate the leafs? That is what you just said. It is unbelievable how stupid that is. Just think about that line of thought for a second. clean it up.
2. First round talent in junior....HE'S 25!!! Should we be expecting Yakupov to tear up the league because he was first overall talent once upon a time? C'mon. How about Ryan Murray? Elite number one d man? Griffin Reinhart (that's all just from that same draft). Again, clean it up.
3. You know what happens when teams get 2 goal leads in a game 7? They dump the puck in. Can you guess what that leads to? Typically more possession for the other team.

Ugh. Your entire post was just gross.

All I’m saying is that Ceci still has a chance to turn it around, which is true because anything can happen. I don’t know why you are so angry about it. There have been highly touted defensemen who started off their professional career poorly but eventually became good,
like Kris Letang and Justin Schultz.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 12:47 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: BrandonDubinskyGOAT

Png
Bcarlo25 and SpaghettiPasta liked this.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 12:47 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: palhal
Why are you discussing the Croasby contract that happened so long ago. Tavares at 11m, Panarin at 11.642 (or whatever), Doughty at 11m. These are modern figures for UFAs
You keep mentioning the Matthews and Nylander as if it has that much meaning. It doesn't, except for for hurt feelings. Marner is free to sign with any team for as much money as he wants. His wants comparing himself to Matthews is meaningless to every other team in the league, and it might not have THAT much relevance to the Leafs.
To the Leaf haters that keep mentioning Matthews contract, the Leafs have a very valid comparable in Aho.
Just saying Marner's Dad "upset" just might not have leverage at all. The other option Marner have is go the "Trouba" route with Winnipeg which was going to get him UFA status four years after his ELC.

I am using the Crosby contract because they are both centres who drive the play plus took less money to stay with their desired team.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 12:48 p.m.
Bcarlo25
All I’m saying is that Ceci still has a chance to turn it around, which is true because anything can happen. I don’t know why you are so angry about it. There have been highly touted defensemen who started off their professional career poorly but eventually became good,

kris letang is a horrible example.

That wasn't all you were saying. You were also saying that all bruins fans hate the leafs because you have some coach in your in house mite league that hated the leafs.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 12:49 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
kris letang is a horrible example.

That wasn't all you were saying. You were also saying that all bruins fans hate the leafs because you have some coach in your in house mite league that hated the leafs.

Correction. I played in the GTHL, it’s the top youth level in Ontario.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 12:51 p.m.
Bcarlo25

didn't we already go through you lying about where you played?
SpaghettiPasta liked this.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 12:52 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: mondo
okay first of all, read these sentences again. qre shooting the puck at the net and creating rebounds not scoring chances?

you're undervaluing his offensive ability and overvaluing the aspects of the game which he naturally lacked and worked to overcome. he upped his skating and defensive ability in his latter years, especially on the stars.

There is a difference between taking a shot after your teammate has set you up in the perfect area with a perfect pass, and taking a shot after you carried the puck into the zone, stick handled away from opponents and shoot in the open area you’ve created yourself. Brett Hull for the majority of his plays was the first example, that’s not driving the play.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 12:54 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
didn't we already go through you lying about where you played?

What I admitted was that I never played competitively in college. I played in the GTHL and then OHL until 18. Of course I was a trash player in those leagues, otherwise I would’ve gotten further.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 12:54 p.m.
torontos finest
There is a difference between taking a shot after your teammate has set you up in the perfect area with a perfect pass, and taking a shot after you carried the puck into the zone, stick handled away from opponents and shoot in the open area you’ve created yourself. Brett Hull for the majority of his plays was the first example, that’s not driving the play.

yeah that's called finishing the play which brett hull was unparalleled at. didn't address rebounds.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 12:55 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Png

What do you mean? You are aware that both defensemen were considered late bloomers, right? Matt Niskanen is another example.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 12:56 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
yeah that's called finishing the play which brett hull was unparalleled at. didn't address rebounds.

Finishing the play is overrated. You can not compare someone who only scores tap ins to someone who generates scoring chances by going solo.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 12:57 p.m.
torontos finest
Finishing the play is overrated. The player who scored tap ins is always worth less than the player who can deke, dangle and create scoring chances alone like Patrick Kane.

finishing the play = scoring = winning the game

finishing the play = overrrated

qed: winning the game = overrated
Aug. 14, 2019 at 1:04 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
finishing the play = scoring = winning the game

finishing the play = overrrated

qed: winning the game = overrated

Yes it is overrated. There are some players like Hull who wait around the whole time and then their teammates deliver them a perfect set up, yet they get all the recognition when they didn’t even do half the work. We should not judge players for the quantity of goals they scored, but instead the quality. Scoring a solo goal has more value than scoring a tap ins.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 1:08 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Sidstick87
If im Marner, Im not taking a discount and asking for no less than $11m Per just like 34 & 91. I mean u can go thru all the numbers & comparing this player to this player.... But bottom line is that 1 of the demands made by JT was to make sure he was going to have Marner on his wing bc he knows how special he is. Yah, yah he isnt a Center but the kid is a play maker just like a Center, Plays Defense like a Center, and the kid is a superstar and plays on the PK... and u gota love that.

Exactly, Marner has proven that he is worth a good amount of money. Neither Matthews or Nylander took less to help the team, so why should he? If this was a plan to win the Stanley Cup, every star player should’ve agreed to take a little less.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 1:17 p.m.
torontos finest
Yes it is overrated. There are some players like Hull who wait around the whole time and then their teammates deliver them a perfect set up, yet they get all the recognition when they didn’t even do half the work. We should not judge players for the quantity of goals they scored, but instead the quality. Scoring a solo goal has more value than scoring a tap ins.

A solo goal and a tap in are worth the same on a scoreboard. Sorry, but quantity is more valuable, especially for a forward like Hull.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 1:31 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
A solo goal and a tap in are worth the same on a scoreboard. Sorry, but quantity is more valuable, especially for a forward like Hull.

If quantity is everything, please explain to me why Guy Lafleur was rated as a better player than Brett Hull? In your opinion probably Robert Lewandowski is a better striker than Ronaldo Nazario, since he has more goals even though most of Lewandowski’s goals are tap ins whereas Ronaldo scored solo goals.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 1:35 p.m.
torontos finest
If quantity is everything, please explain to me why Guy Lafleur was rated as a better player than Brett Hull?

lafleur has more cups than hull

boom! quantity
Aug. 14, 2019 at 1:38 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
lafleur has more cups than hull

boom! quantity

I disagree, it was because Lafleur was a more capable individual player. His skating, stick handling, puck skills, creativity and agility were much superior to Hull, he was capable of driving the play and generating chances by himself.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 1:40 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
@Jamiepo @SammyT_51 @LoganOllivier @palhal @Jangle29 @oneX @Trickster @Snipshow4416

I know that a lot of Leaf fans are frustrated that Marner isn’t willing to take less money to help this Leafs team win, however, I don’t think any of their other star forwards have taken a discount either.

John Tavares is making 11 million. Sidney Crosby signed his second big contract as a UFA in 2013-14 with the Penguins when the salary cap was 63.4 million, so divide that from last season’s 79 million, the cap has inflated by 1.285%. Sid’s contract would’be been worth 11.2 million dollars AAV by the time Tavares signed his 11 million dollar AAV deal. No matter how you put it, Crosby is better than Tavares by quite a bit, if he was worth 11.2 million in 2018-19, Tavares should’ve been got 10 million maximum.

Next up is Auston Matthews. My comparable for him is Evgeni Malkin. In 2009-10 when Malkin signed his 8.7 million dollar AAV contract following the expiry of his entry level deal, the salary cap was 56.7 million, 1.437% less than today’s cap hit which is what Matthews signed. Malkin’s deal at the time would’ve been worth 12.5 million dollars today. I would argue that Matthews currently is not as good as Malkin in 2009, considering Malkin at the time his entry level deal expired had already won a scoring title and playoff MVP, plus had a points per game average of 1.19 in the dead tree defenseman era. Malkin’s most frequent linemate was Sykora, whom I would argue is less talented than Nylander who frequently pairs with Matthews. The maximum Matthews should’ve made was 11 million.

For William Nylander, his 7 million AAV isn’t bad but he didn’t take a discount either. A comparable for Nylander is Gaudreau. When Johnny signed his 6.7 million AAV deal in 16-17 for the same term, the cap ceiling was 73 million, around 1.08% less than the 79 million last season. Last season his deal would’ve been worth 7.2 million AAV. That’s only .3 million more value than Nylander’s contract. Gaudreau had 1 season with 64 points & another with 80 points. His centre was Monahan, who is excellent but he’s not as talented as Matthews,yet Nylander only managed 61 points as a career high, therefore his maximum AAV for the 6 year term should’ve been 6.25 million.

A comparable for Mitch Marner would be Patrick Kane. After his expiry deal, Kane was making a 6.3 million AAV for 5 years with the cap ceiling at 56.7 million dollars. If he was signing that same contract today, it would be worth 9.5 million. At the time, Kane was obviously better than Marner is right now, so a fair market value for Mitch would be 8.25 million. However, all the other Leaf forwards are making more than what they deserve, so why should Marner take less?

Marner's comparable is not Patrick Kane.
Patrick Kane has been goal scorer and still is.

Marner is not, yet.

He is current best comparison is Rantanen right now but alas is also an RFA right now, and Rantanen should get more than $$$ than Marner period.

Mark Stone, is another good comparison IMO for Marner.
How much did he get, and wasn't in 2019 too? And what was his 2nd contract in the NHL, 3.5 million for 3 years in 2015-2016. So what would that contract be in 2019-20?

And it is understated on what @onex point out.
Nylander wanted 8.5 million, he got less than 7.
That is at least 1.5 less than he wantedh.
oneX liked this.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 1:53 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Trickster
Marner's comparable is not Patrick Kane.
Patrick Kane has been goal scorer and still is.

Marner is not, yet.

He is current best comparison is Rantanen right now but alas is also an RFA right now, and Rantanen should get more than $$$ than Marner period.

Mark Stone, is another good comparison IMO for Marner.
How much did he get, and wasn't in 2019 too? And what was his 2nd contract in the NHL, 3.5 million for 3 years in 2015-2016. So what would that contract be in 2019-20?

And it is understated on what @onex point out.
Nylander wanted 8.5 million, he got less than 7.
That is at least 1.5 less than he wantedh.

Yes, Rantanen and Marner are very comparable. In my opinion they are on the same level. Rantanen will probably get 9.5-10 million. While you can argue that Rantanen is the better player, we have to keep in mind he plays for a team that has their top player MacKinnon making only 6.25 million and captain Landeskog at 5.75. So if anything, expect Rantanen to be the one who takes less money amongst the 2 because he has 2 superstars in the team setting an example to take team friendly deals, Marner does not. I don’t agree with the Stone comparison. When he signed his 3.5 million dollar bridge deal for 3 years he only had only one full season under his belt, 64 points in 82 games. That is very different situation compared to Marner who has played 3 full seasons. If Marner were to get 1.5 less than what he wants, then that probably puts him at 9.5 million AAV on a 5 year deal.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 10:04 p.m.
To be fair to everyone I was tagged in this and am viewing this after I got back from the bar so I haven't read all three pages attached to this post so I apologize if I am repeating things people have already said.... This is how I see it,

1. Nylander asked for 8.5 and Dubas countered with 6.25.... they settled for 7mil. If Nylander with Matthews as his centre can't create value at 7mil leafs should trade him straight up. I agree he should get a fresh start this year that lasts until mid december, can't cut it then you should move him.

2. They gave Matthews a blank cheque... straight up. not saying thats bad not saying its good.

3. Marner's camp is trying to get as much as they can out of the leafs by throwing out crazy values that they think he is worth. I believe they will come back to earth and sign a 6 year deal around 9.5mil or a 2 year deal thats being reported around 8 mil.
I think whats throwing everyone off is Marner's agent saying he is worth mcDavid money. I think the league has shown no one wants to pay him that... as there haven't been any offer sheets as the Marner camp was expecting.

The only leaf that has taken a discount is Tavares as he was reportingly offered more than 13mil a year by San Jose when he hit free agency.

Thats just my 2 cents. have a good night everyone. I know I already am.
Trickster and oneX liked this.
Aug. 16, 2019 at 8:03 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: TH13
To be fair to everyone I was tagged in this and am viewing this after I got back from the bar so I haven't read all three pages attached to this post so I apologize if I am repeating things people have already said.... This is how I see it,

1. Nylander asked for 8.5 and Dubas countered with 6.25.... they settled for 7mil. If Nylander with Matthews as his centre can't create value at 7mil leafs should trade him straight up. I agree he should get a fresh start this year that lasts until mid december, can't cut it then you should move him.

2. They gave Matthews a blank cheque... straight up. not saying thats bad not saying its good.

3. Marner's camp is trying to get as much as they can out of the leafs by throwing out crazy values that they think he is worth. I believe they will come back to earth and sign a 6 year deal around 9.5mil or a 2 year deal thats being reported around 8 mil.
I think whats throwing everyone off is Marner's agent saying he is worth mcDavid money. I think the league has shown no one wants to pay him that... as there haven't been any offer sheets as the Marner camp was expecting.

The only leaf that has taken a discount is Tavares as he was reportingly offered more than 13mil a year by San Jose when he hit free agency.

Thats just my 2 cents. have a good night everyone. I know I already am.

Correction, Tavares was offered 15 million by the Islanders and 13 from the Sharks. He should never have been offered that in the first place, but he did take a discount regardless. I think Marner’s dad is the one who thinks he is worth more money than McDavid. And you are right about Nylander and Matthews.
TH13 liked this.
Aug. 18, 2019 at 3:51 p.m.
i hope ur hungry now

What I admitted was that I never played competitively in college. I played in the GTHL and then OHL until 18. Of course I was a trash player in those leagues, otherwise I would’ve gotten further.

So you were trash in the OHL and GTHL and weren't cut. If you want anyone to believe you, link your elite prospects page. If you don't want to, then tell me why you threw away free University, as you get a year free every year you play in the OHL. If you play one game you would get a full year free. Also, you admitted you didn't play competitively past high School. If you don't reply with anything, you are obviously a liar.
Aug. 19, 2019 at 8:10 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
To be honest, it does appear that only the Leafs are required to overpay Marner to retain his services. It’s only fair because Tavares, Matthews and Nylander are all getting more than they deserve as well, so why should Marner take less than the 8.9 million AAV what he is worth?

Your statement makes no sense. If only the Leafs are required to overpay Marner to retain his services, it sounds like you think Marner is going to traded and sign less with another team. That certainly doesn't make financial sense to Marner. Tavares is not overpaid by UFA standards , but Nylander and Matthews are by RFA standards. But if pay structures are based are teams and not league comparables, no Jet will make more than 6.125 Scheifele or no Av makes more than 6m Mckinnion. It's a silly argument that Marner has to be paid on just Matthews standards, and that the Leafs are going to forever going to overpay their RFAs.

You said Marner should be getting AAV of 8.9m. Gee, betcha Marner has been offered already that and most Leaf fans think 8.9m be OK with them.
Aug. 19, 2019 at 12:22 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: SpaghettiPasta

So you were trash in the OHL and GTHL and weren't cut. If you want anyone to believe you, link your elite prospects page. If you don't want to, then tell me why you threw away free University, as you get a year free every year you play in the OHL. If you play one game you would get a full year free. Also, you admitted you didn't play competitively past high School. If you don't reply with anything, you are obviously a liar.

My parents no longer allowed me to play competitive hockey by the time I was 17. So I didn’t even have the opportunity doing uSports.
SpaghettiPasta liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll