SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Contract Controversy

Aug. 19, 2019 at 12:24 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: palhal
Your statement makes no sense. If only the Leafs are required to overpay Marner to retain his services, it sounds like you think Marner is going to traded and sign less with another team. That certainly doesn't make financial sense to Marner. Tavares is not overpaid by UFA standards , but Nylander and Matthews are by RFA standards. But if pay structures are based are teams and not league comparables, no Jet will make more than 6.125 Scheifele or no Av makes more than 6m Mckinnion. It's a silly argument that Marner has to be paid on just Matthews standards, and that the Leafs are going to forever going to overpay their RFAs.

You said Marner should be getting AAV of 8.9m. Gee, betcha Marner has been offered already that and most Leaf fans think 8.9m be OK with them.

According to Darren Dreger, Mitch Marner’s dad says he wants 12 million AAV on a 5 year deal from the Leafs. If he doesn’t get that, he will force his son to leave and sign for 8 years 9 million dollars AAV for another team.
SpaghettiPasta liked this.
Aug. 19, 2019 at 12:42 p.m.
i hope ur hungry now
Quoting: BrandonDubinskyGOAT
My parents no longer allowed me to play competitive hockey by the time I was 17. So I didn’t even have the opportunity doing uSports.

If that's true, that really sucks. But, if you played in the OHL you know what Usports is.
Aug. 19, 2019 at 2:33 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
According to Darren Dreger, Mitch Marner’s dad says he wants 12 million AAV on a 5 year deal from the Leafs. If he doesn’t get that, he will force his son to leave and sign for 8 years 9 million dollars AAV for another team.

OK. As I said, it doesn't make sense financial sense for Marner, so be it. I would be more concerned "he will force his son". Is Mitch ever going to grow up? But still don't get understand how Marner as a RFA, going to get the Leafs sign Marner and 8 years ant 9m. and force a trade. Even an offer sheet at 9m X 7 or even 10m X 7 gets matched.

So, as I said repeatedly, how does Marner get a deal from another team that is much different than the Leafs offer? Still haven't seen anybody on this site with an answer to that. All I read, from most Leafs haters is the Leafs are forced to pay more Marner and considerable more than Marner than what any other team will offer.
oneX and Trickster liked this.
Aug. 20, 2019 at 4:20 p.m.
torontos finest
ladies and gentlemen we have entered the "my client is going to europe" stage of the negotiations.

SpaghettiPasta liked this.
Aug. 21, 2019 at 9:06 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: mondo
ladies and gentlemen we have entered the "my client is going to europe" stage of the negotiations.

So the highest t paid player in Switzerland gets 600,000. KHL maybe 2m. Not signing a NHL contract seems to be a big loss to Marner this season and maybe in the future. All this because the Leafs he will fall 1m short of the overpaid Matthews if he signs as a Leafs.
Trickster liked this.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 1:47 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
So the highest t paid player in Switzerland gets 600,000. KHL maybe 2m. Not signing a NHL contract seems to be a big loss to Marner this season and maybe in the future. All this because the Leafs he will fall 1m short of the overpaid Matthews if he signs as a Leafs.

I just don’t think Paul wants Mitch to stay in TOR. That’s all.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 2:49 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I just don’t think Paul wants Mitch to stay in TOR. That’s all.

If that is Paul's wish....so be it. Gee, I thought Mitch at some point in his life will have a say.
oneX and Trickster liked this.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 5:34 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
If that is Paul's wish....so be it. Gee, I thought Mitch at some point in his life will have a say.

Paul is salty that the Leafs didn’t sign Mitch to an ELC right after he got drafted and sent him back to juniors instead. To him that is not forgivable since he believes his son is an NHL level player.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 5:41 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
@mondo @LoganOllivier @palhal @Jangle29 @oneX @Trickster @Snipshow4416

Now the real question is, how would’ve Mitch Marner done if the Leafs never signed John Tavares and continued to play him with Nazem Kadri?

I know a lot of people think he would be a 30-40 point player but I just don’t see that to be accurate.

Keep in mind, when Babcock put Marner and Kadri back in January, Mitch scored at over a point per game pace until the season ended. So my prediction is he would’ve scored maybe 75-80 points. Thoughts?
Aug. 23, 2019 at 7:00 p.m.

Now the real question is, how would’ve Mitch Marner done if the Leafs never signed John Tavares and continued to play him with Nazem Kadri?

I know a lot of people think he would be a 30-40 point player but I just don’t see that to be accurate.

Keep in mind, when Babcock put Marner and Kadri back in January, Mitch scored at over a point per game pace until the season ended. So my prediction is he would’ve scored maybe 75-80 points. Thoughts?

Moot point. Kadri shortened his own time in Toronto by showing that he would rather let competitors get to him mentally so he can go do something stupid (like getting suspended for a second straight playoff series). If Kadri was smart he would have realized the advantage the Leafs had in both (but especially in this past playoffs) at C and a real shot at getting out of the first round.

Look if Marner is hellbent on getting 11-12 million then Dubas will have to consider the two options: trading him or letting him sit the year.
Think about it this way, if the season starts without Marner signed, does Marner's money increase?

The answer is no. It's not because everyone hates Marner and blah blah blah. It's because the league operates under a salary cap. The will be forced to reduce their offer to Marner.

Do the math, see for yourself. Also before you suggest trading players away to make Marner fit, if it doesn't work within Dubas's vision it won't happen.
Easier to trade Marner if it comes to that.
Trickster liked this.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 7:09 p.m.
hey look a squirrel

Who cares?
That train left the station long ago, spilled milk.

Marner doesnt get 90 points if he don't have Tavares.
Tavares has shown he can score already, impossible he could have surpassed his career high elsewhere, nope not all.

Your question should have included his C if it's not Tavares.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 8:03 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

I don't have the stats, but many of Marner points was not from the playing right wing but was playing the right point of the PP. Marner playing with Tavares, helps Marner...and Tavares.
So, Mitch might be a 60 point even strength player and 30 point PP guy. (he had 98 last year) Probably not than much different than a lot of the top point producing forwards. Kadri long term is not nearly offensively gifted as Tavares. Maybe he would 45 point even strength and 25 on the PP....that's 70 points
Trickster liked this.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 9:46 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
I don't have the stats, but many of Marner points was not from the playing right wing but was playing the right point of the PP. Marner playing with Tavares, helps Marner...and Tavares.
So, Mitch might be a 60 point even strength player and 30 point PP guy. (he had 98 last year) Probably not than much different than a lot of the top point producing forwards. Kadri long term is not nearly offensively gifted as Tavares. Maybe he would 45 point even strength and 25 on the PP....that's 70 points

Agreed 70 pts tops for Marner
oneX liked this.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 9:35 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Edited Aug. 25, 2019 at 9:42 p.m.
Quoting: oneX
Moot point. Kadri shortened his own time in Toronto by showing that he would rather let competitors get to him mentally so he can go do something stupid (like getting suspended for a second straight playoff series). If Kadri was smart he would have realized the advantage the Leafs had in both (but especially in this past playoffs) at C and a real shot at getting out of the first round.

Look if Marner is hellbent on getting 11-12 million then Dubas will have to consider the two options: trading him or letting him sit the year.
Think about it this way, if the season starts without Marner signed, does Marner's money increase?

The answer is no. It's not because everyone hates Marner and blah blah blah. It's because the league operates under a salary cap. The will be forced to reduce their offer to Marner.

Do the math, see for yourself. Also before you suggest trading players away to make Marner fit, if it doesn't work within Dubas's vision it won't happen.
Easier to trade Marner if it comes to that.

Quoting: Trickster
Who cares?
That train left the station long ago, spilled milk.

Marner doesnt get 90 points if he don't have Tavares.
Tavares has shown he can score already, impossible he could have surpassed his career high elsewhere, nope not all.

Your question should have included his C if it's not Tavares.

Quoting: Trickster
Agreed 70 pts tops for Marner

Kadri and Marner got put together on January 24th 2018 against the Avs. In the final 33 games of the regular season with either Marleau or JVR rotating on the left wing, Marner put up 36 points for a points per game avarage of 1.09. That would’ve put him on pace for 90 points in 82 games. He finished the season with only 70 points, however keep in mind he played the majority of his first 49 games on the fourth line. If you also include what he did in the post season, then it’s 45 points in 40 games for a 1.125 points per game average.

So, if the Leafs kept Kadri and JVR instead of getting Tavares for 2018-19, I do believe Marner would’ve gotten more than just 70 points.

Not 90 points since it’s a long season but it’s definitely not unreasonable to think Marner would continue to improve from the inconsistent 70 point season he put a season earlier.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll