Initial Creation Date: Aug. 14, 2019
Published: Aug. 14, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$3,000,000
2$1,250,000
Offer Sheets
Offer sheet annual average (AAV) is calculated by dividing the contract value by the lower of: 1. The contract length, or 2. Five years
PLAYERAAVCOMPENSATION
Puljujärvi, Jesse$1,250,000No Compensation
Trades
PIT
  1. 2020 6th round pick (ANA)
BUF
  1. Hörnqvist, Patric
  2. 2022 4th round pick (PIT)
DAL
  1. Rust, Bryan
  2. 2020 4th round pick (PIT)
LAK
  1. Johnson, Jack
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (PIT)
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (PIT)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$71,482,500$132,500$2,850,000$10,017,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$4,900,000$4,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW
UFA
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$2,200,000$2,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,050,000$2,050,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$825,000$825,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 14, 2019 at 9:45 a.m.
Puljujarvi is tooooooo overrated - PENS SAY HELL ****IN NO
McCabe, LaDue? Come on bring someone who worth it... There must be a way to bring a player that can still make some difference
Aug. 14, 2019 at 9:48 a.m.
Quoting: Morcak
Puljujarvi is tooooooo overrated - PENS SAY HELL ****IN NO
McCabe, LaDue? Come on bring someone who worth it... There must be a way to bring a player that can still make some difference

McCabe isn’t bad and was Justin Schultz’s D partner in college...it’s also pretty obvious that Schultz thrives with defensive defenseman who can still move the puck. But what do you expect to happen in an event where one of the worst defenseman in the league gets traded? There’s basically no choice other than to take LaDue because he’s probably the one that would get put on waivers if LAK added a defenseman.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 9:50 a.m.
Sabres decline. That horni contract isn't looking great and we already have okposo
Aug. 14, 2019 at 9:52 a.m.
Quoting: wojme
Sabres decline. That horni contract isn't looking great and we already have okposo

That was my fear...someone else suggested this in another ACGM so I figured I’d try it.
wojme liked this.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 10:38 a.m.
Banned
The fear mongering and trolling on here are unreal.

I'm just sitting back here drinking my coffee watching defense men pile up injuries knowing it's only time for JJ to be traded for either nothing or bringing back a little return of value.
Thanks Calgary, you are helping the cause.
Tick tock tick tock. Won't be by mid season and he'll be gone.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 10:45 a.m.
Quoting: pharrow

I'm just sitting back here drinking my coffee watching defense men pile up injuries knowing it's only time for JJ to be traded for either nothing or bringing back a little return of value.
Thanks Calgary, you are helping the cause.
Tick tock tick tock. Won't be by mid season and he'll be gone.

Lol people would rather have Russell from EDM, Bogosian, Hunwick or Scandella from BUF, Miller from BOS, Green Erikson and Daley from DET, or even Guddy from PIT lol
Aug. 14, 2019 at 10:48 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: AFOX10900
Lol people would rather have Russell from EDM, Bogosian, Hunwick or Scandella from BUF, Miller from BOS, Green Erikson and Daley from DET, or even Guddy from PIT lol

Yeah keep telling yourself that, I've seen Hunwick play!
Daley and company will be injured by mid season, hell those injuries on detroit might be one reason JJ could be trade to Detroit! Their whole blueline is old and made of glass.
The penguins aren't trading Guddy.

Just a matter of time.
aedoran liked this.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 10:52 a.m.

BUF isn't really in a position to absorb Cap, are they looking for a Center? for example, could a trade involving Bjugstad and McCabe be worked out?

I love the idea of having McCabe and Schultz on a line.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 10:54 a.m.
Daley and company will be injured by mid season, hell those injuries on detroit might be one reason JJ could be trade to Detroit! Their whole blueline is old and made of glass.

Just a matter of time.

Except Yzerman isn't stupid, unless he gets PAID to take JJ, he won't, he'd rather play the kids, Cholowski Hronek, Seider, they added Kaski and Nemeth to a blueline that made it through last year, they will not be the ones to take JJ, all they need is for one guy to stay healthy (Bowey) and they'll have 6 NHL d men, plus ik they have a few veterans like Trotman in PIT that can be called up if necessary, I've seen Hunwick too, teams would MUCH rather have 1 year of him than FOUR if JJ
Aug. 14, 2019 at 10:54 a.m.
Edited Aug. 14, 2019 at 11:01 a.m.

Just a matter of time.

I agree either Pittsburgh wants to move JJ or they want a return for him. If they want a return for him it looks like he will be in Pittsburgh for another 4 years.
As for Detroit taking JJ it won't happen if injuries start to plague Detroit's defense it just more ice time for prospects which wouldn't be all bad. The Wings aren't going to be good this season so why not let the kids play it will only help to figure out what is needed before going out and trading or signing players you don't need.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 10:56 a.m.
Quoting: Levo
BUF isn't really in a position to absorb Cap, are they looking for a Center? for example, could a trade involving Bjugstad and McCabe be worked out?

I love the idea of having McCabe and Schultz on a line.

Bjugstad isn't a 2c so that really doesn't help us.
Levo liked this.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 11:02 a.m.

No he's a Decent 3rd line or a top 6 winger.

From your point of view could a trade involving McCabe happen?
Aug. 14, 2019 at 11:03 a.m.

Bjugstad could easily be the Sabres 2C in a pinch...I feel like that’s the type of move buffalo makes hoping that Mittelstadt breaks out and slots in at 2C midway through the season.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 11:07 a.m.
Quoting: dgfresh78
Bjugstad could easily be the Sabres 2C in a pinch...I feel like that’s the type of move buffalo makes hoping that Mittelstadt breaks out and slots in at 2C midway through the season.

I'd rather have mitts at 2c and then we have multiple players to play 3c where we don't have a ton of help on the left side defensively.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 11:19 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: aedoran
I agree either Pittsburgh wants to move JJ or they want a return for him. If they want a return for him it looks like he will be in Pittsburgh for another 4 years.
As for Detroit taking JJ it won't happen if injuries start to plague Detroit's defense it just more ice time for prospects which wouldn't be all bad. The Wings aren't going to be good this season so why not let the kids play it will only help to figure out what is needed before going out and trading or signing players you don't need.

The argument on that is they don't get a chance to develop. That's why younger players stay in the AHL. The AHL is their to train them. The NHL level doesn't really do that as much. You can look at a player like JP in Edmonton to understand that. If it was just ice time he'd have developed. But it's not. Detroit has no reason to rush players that aren't ready. Not only does it destroy them as an asset, but it takes away from their development.

If Detroit piles up injuries they will look for help. JJ is a stop gap little more. He doesn't have a NTC, they can ship him out to seattle in 2 years. He's fairly cheap, and if they are ready next year he can go to the minors or traded out to another team in the same mess as a 1 year rental knowing he's going expansion draft.

You have to look at the whole picture. While some teams that are "out of it" can play younger players. They don't do it knowing it takes away from their development.
McIsaac will probably be in juniors, Hicketts is not an NHL level caliber, neither is lashoff. They got one guy in Cholowski in the minors. He was not ready last year and there is no point in setting his development back for a team not going anywhere.

Meanwhile you have Ericsson who is 35 and has injury issues, DeKeyser who has injury issues, and Nemeth, who has had 2 decent years with some issues, but has bounced a lot in the AHL.

So when it comes to a LHD, and you need a fill in guy for a year or two, it makes sense. They got contracts ending next year anyway and players who frankly aren't ready to step in.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 12:27 p.m.

Winter is coming...?
Aug. 14, 2019 at 12:50 p.m.
The argument on that is they don't get a chance to develop. That's why younger players stay in the AHL. The AHL is their to train them. The NHL level doesn't really do that as much. You can look at a player like JP in Edmonton to understand that. If it was just ice time he'd have developed. But it's not. Detroit has no reason to rush players that aren't ready. Not only does it destroy them as an asset, but it takes away from their development.

If Detroit piles up injuries they will look for help. JJ is a stop gap little more. He doesn't have a NTC, they can ship him out to seattle in 2 years. He's fairly cheap, and if they are ready next year he can go to the minors or traded out to another team in the same mess as a 1 year rental knowing he's going expansion draft.

You have to look at the whole picture. While some teams that are "out of it" can play younger players. They don't do it knowing it takes away from their development.
McIsaac will probably be in juniors, Hicketts is not an NHL level caliber, neither is lashoff. They got one guy in Cholowski in the minors. He was not ready last year and there is no point in setting his development back for a team not going anywhere.

Meanwhile you have Ericsson who is 35 and has injury issues, DeKeyser who has injury issues, and Nemeth, who has had 2 decent years with some issues, but has bounced a lot in the AHL.

So when it comes to a LHD, and you need a fill in guy for a year or two, it makes sense. They got contracts ending next year anyway and players who frankly aren't ready to step in.

Or they could be smart and get Scandella for something like a 5th and be done with him next season.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 2:19 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: LumberJacques
Or they could be smart and get Scandella for something like a 5th and be done with him next season.

but that doesn't solve the short term issues. They will have multiple defense men they won't be resigning next year. You will be missing Daley, Ericsson, most likely Green but who knows on that one.

Like I said, it's a stop gap. It's not a long term thing. For a team that is rebuilding. It allows those high draft pick defense men that are 18 and 19 time to develop in both their minor leagues and the AHL level at a cheap cost and then poof gone to Seattle.
Mean while Lindström, Cholowski and maybe Kaski (who knows right) get time to develop this year and start plugging holes next year. Either way there isn't that much "youth" there that they have an immediate abundance. That is a myth. If they have injury problems they have one or two guys really capable at that level to step in and even they aren't really ready to be there and it hampers their growth.
It is what it is. The team is rebuilding. Yes it has some youth, but most of it won't be ready for a year or two at least.
That's what makes JJ an option to play stop gap. No one is saying he's a long term answer or needs to be there long term. We all realize he's going to seattle one way or another.
But you look at what is out there in the FA market, it's not great, nor do they probably want to sign an expensive FA knowing how much they sunk into their draft picks.
What they need is to field some bodies and let their people develop. So they get a rugged defense man who lays hits to pick a spot up on the 3rd pair. It gives them a bit of push back for their younger players and doesn't really cost them anything asset wise or cap wise.

I know people on here want to think JJ is unmoveable and every trade with him is a 1st. But that's BS and most reasonable people know that. Hell Detroit almost signed him last year for the very reasons I posted above. They are a team that needs time to develop.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 2:36 p.m.
but that doesn't solve the short term issues. They will have multiple defense men they won't be resigning next year. You will be missing Daley, Ericsson, most likely Green but who knows on that one.

Like I said, it's a stop gap. It's not a long term thing. For a team that is rebuilding. It allows those high draft pick defense men that are 18 and 19 time to develop in both their minor leagues and the AHL level at a cheap cost and then poof gone to Seattle.
Mean while Lindström, Cholowski and maybe Kaski (who knows right) get time to develop this year and start plugging holes next year. Either way there isn't that much "youth" there that they have an immediate abundance. That is a myth. If they have injury problems they have one or two guys really capable at that level to step in and even they aren't really ready to be there and it hampers their growth.
It is what it is. The team is rebuilding. Yes it has some youth, but most of it won't be ready for a year or two at least.
That's what makes JJ an option to play stop gap. No one is saying he's a long term answer or needs to be there long term. We all realize he's going to seattle one way or another.
But you look at what is out there in the FA market, it's not great, nor do they probably want to sign an expensive FA knowing how much they sunk into their draft picks.
What they need is to field some bodies and let their people develop. So they get a rugged defense man who lays hits to pick a spot up on the 3rd pair. It gives them a bit of push back for their younger players and doesn't really cost them anything asset wise or cap wise.

I know people on here want to think JJ is unmoveable and every trade with him is a 1st. But that's BS and most reasonable people know that. Hell Detroit almost signed him last year for the very reasons I posted above. They are a team that needs time to develop.

I get that but my point is that there are better players than JJ available every year who are cheaper, younger and have more upside.

Last season MTL picked up Kulak for 2 AHL players. They also picked up Folin for some guy who's name I can't remember. Guys like that are constantly available for next to nothing and better 3rd pairing options than JJ.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 2:58 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: LumberJacques
I get that but my point is that there are better players than JJ available every year who are cheaper, younger and have more upside.

Last season MTL picked up Kulak for 2 AHL players. They also picked up Folin for some guy who's name I can't remember. Guys like that are constantly available for next to nothing and better 3rd pairing options than JJ.

And my point is there really isn't. Sometimes people get lucky on a trade. But you look at the penguins and they gave up Sprong who was a good asset to get Pettersson.
You have to give up something nice to get something nice. That's usually how it plays out. Especially with guys who can sit in the minors and are waivers exempt.
FA is a mine field, what's out there sucks even worse than JJ.You got a guy with a back injury who wants a pay day, Hutton who is awful, and won't hit anyone. and then who?
You are talking middle of the season after injury pick up. Costs nothing, Can be dumped in 1 and 1/2 year and you got holes to fill in that year anyway.

So we will just agree to disagree on that.

If there were players available so easily and readily teams like Toronto wouldn't be scrambling to find defense nor would teams like Calgary. There is never enough defense in the league and they usually take a pounding from the forecheck and injuries pile up league wide. It is what it is.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll