SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Teams that need to blow it up

Aug. 14, 2019 at 1:02 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Some teams just aren't that good, despite what their owner says *cough* Craig MacTavish *cough*. These teams need to "blow it all up." We saw it with Ottawa (who will continue to blow it up until there's no such thing as a cap floor anymore) and I guess we kinda saw it a little with Minnesota, but they just got like 1 year younger and lost 30 points. Other teams have done it in the past and I'm curious to see what teams people think need to blow it up. Personally, I think Minnesota needs to, but you know, do it good this time. If any GM is out partying hard, LA could always give that GM a call to take one of their many wonderful contracts including but not limited to Kovalchuk and Carter.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 1:08 p.m.
torontos finest
Los Angeles and Anaheim are two teams that would benefit from tearing down, especially the former.

It would be a great time for Minnesota to rebuild; I don't think they're going to win with their current crop of players, they don't have a fantastic prospect pool and management is already in disarray, would make sense to bring someone in that can recreate the team.
AndrewLadd and Brian2016 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 1:09 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: mondo
Los Angeles and Anaheim are two teams that would benefit from tearing down, especially the former.

It would be a great time for Minnesota to rebuild; I don't think they're going to win with their current crop of players, they don't have a fantastic prospect pool and management is already in disarray, would make sense to bring someone in that can recreate the team.

Hextall would be a perfect hiring for them IMO
Aug. 14, 2019 at 1:16 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
Edited Aug. 14, 2019 at 2:58 p.m.
Quoting: klondikebar
Some teams just aren't that good, despite what their owner says *cough* Craig MacTavish *cough*. These teams need to "blow it all up." We saw it with Ottawa (who will continue to blow it up until there's no such thing as a cap floor anymore) and I guess we kinda saw it a little with Minnesota, but they just got like 1 year younger and lost 30 points. Other teams have done it in the past and I'm curious to see what teams people think need to blow it up. Personally, I think Minnesota needs to, but you know, do it good this time. If any GM is out partying hard, LA could always give that GM a call to take one of their many wonderful contracts including but not limited to Kovalchuk and Carter.
somewhere, out in Yaroslavl, Russia, Craig MacTavish's ears perk up, and he briefly wonders, "...was somebody on the internet talking trash about me?" before dismissing the thought and going back to whatever he was doing.
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 1:22 p.m.
Edited Aug. 14, 2019 at 1:32 p.m.
[TEAM: TOP 5 PLAYERS TO MOVE]
Anaheim: Getzlaf, Kesler, Henrique, Silfverberg, Shore
Detroit: Nielsen, DeKeyser, Abdelkader, Helm, Filppula
Edmonton: Nugent-Hopkins, Neal, Russell, Koskinen, Chiasson
Los Angeles: Kovalchuk, Brown, Quick, Carter, Martinez
Montreal: Price, Weber, Petry, Alzner, Byron
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 2:09 p.m.
Its funny cuz a couple teams are going to have a tough rebuild (ottawa couldnt really get started this year) columbus has no picks to rebuild with this year. Minnesota is kinda stuck in no mans land as a middler and the pieces they have arent really attractive to return young studs anymore. In terms of tear down, i think this year: its minny, LAK, Anaheim. I think detroit is in its rebuild and has already started its tear down. i also think edmonton is half rebuild half swapping bad pieces to get the right player types. Next year for tear downs: i think any of the following could potentially be tear downs... Oilers if they regress again this year, penguins, blackhawks, flyers, sabers.
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 2:15 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: hanson493
Its funny cuz a couple teams are going to have a tough rebuild (ottawa couldnt really get started this year) columbus has no picks to rebuild with this year. Minnesota is kinda stuck in no mans land as a middler and the pieces they have arent really attractive to return young studs anymore. In terms of tear down, i think this year: its minny, LAK, Anaheim. I think detroit is in its rebuild and has already started its tear down. i also think edmonton is half rebuild half swapping bad pieces to get the right player types. Next year for tear downs: i think any of the following could potentially be tear downs... Oilers if they regress again this year, penguins, blackhawks, flyers, sabers.

Flyers are an interesting one, I don’t think they’ll need a rebuild since they have a lot of young guys on the way, a great young goalie and a couple good vets+ a superstar in Giroux. Pens could use a tear down tbh but I don’t think a GM like JR will do one as long as Crosby and Malkin r on the team
Aug. 14, 2019 at 2:37 p.m.
Flyers are an interesting one, I don’t think they’ll need a rebuild since they have a lot of young guys on the way, a great young goalie and a couple good vets+ a superstar in Giroux. Pens could use a tear down tbh but I don’t think a GM like JR will do one as long as Crosby and Malkin r on the team

yeah but that team isnt deep. they are very top heavy. hayes is overpaid, voracek is overpaid, coots is underpaid, jvr is overpaid. then you have ghost, and sanheim. niskanen who is kind of overpaid but is a solid dman. still have plenty of room to fit TK and IP in there but unless they acquire a couple good 3rd line pieces or they bring up their young guys early (frost, etc) i dont see this team being better than it was last year.
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 3:23 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
LA should absolutely be tearing this down. Trading Quick, Carter, Kovalchuk, Martinez and Toffoli should all happen within the next two years. They've built a solid pipeline so far, but they need more high end defense in that system.

Anaheim should be looking at a retool right now. Moving some depth players and freeing up cap space is what they should be doing. Adding more defense is also a must for them behind Lindholm.

Minnesota also should just blow it up. Everything. It'll be a long, painful rebuild. But they need to do this the right way.
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 3:59 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
yeah but that team isnt deep. they are very top heavy. hayes is overpaid, voracek is overpaid, coots is underpaid, jvr is overpaid. then you have ghost, and sanheim. niskanen who is kind of overpaid but is a solid dman. still have plenty of room to fit TK and IP in there but unless they acquire a couple good 3rd line pieces or they bring up their young guys early (frost, etc) i dont see this team being better than it was last year.

Lindblom is solid, Patrick should breakout this year (hopefully.) if the youth steps up there deep, if not then they’re pretty top heavy
Aug. 14, 2019 at 4:27 p.m.
I don't think it's time yet for Pittsburgh. I don't expect them to compete, but they were solid contenders just two seasons ago. I'd give them this year to see whether it was a fluke or becomes a trend.
Philadelphia has done a lot of overpaying recently, but the pieces they've added are solid vets that build out their depth. They could just be rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, but I think you need to see how it plays out first.
Minnesota was one of the first teams I thought of when I saw this topic, but then had second thoughts upon review of their roster mostly because of the situation on their blue line and in goal. But after another look, they aren't going anywhere with the current forward crop. They need to tear down as well.

Minnesota: Parise, Suter, Zuccarello, Staal, Foligno
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 7:06 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: Bflo_Soldier
I don't think it's time yet for Pittsburgh. I don't expect them to compete, but they were solid contenders just two seasons ago. I'd give them this year to see whether it was a fluke or becomes a trend.
Philadelphia has done a lot of overpaying recently, but the pieces they've added are solid vets that build out their depth. They could just be rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, but I think you need to see how it plays out first.
Minnesota was one of the first teams I thought of when I saw this topic, but then had second thoughts upon review of their roster mostly because of the situation on their blue line and in goal. But after another look, they aren't going anywhere with the current forward crop. They need to tear down as well.

Minnesota: Parise, Suter, Zuccarello, Staal, Foligno

I also think Spurgeon would net a good return, he’s not gonna be as good as he is now when it’s time for them to compete again
Aug. 15, 2019 at 5:21 a.m.
Quoting: mondo

I think the Kings are in the worst position of any team in the league right now. Worse than OTT. At least OTT has a decent young D core. ANA is in much better shape. Rakell is young and they have a top 5 goalie. Decent number of young Forward prospects too. I bet Doughty is wishing he waited for UFA. He'd have gotten the same $$$ and could've played anywhere.
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 5:24 a.m.
Lindblom is solid, Patrick should breakout this year (hopefully.) if the youth steps up there deep, if not then they’re pretty top heavy

PHI really has the perfect number of young players and vets. They should be much better next season if Provorov and Ghost rebound well. Too much all around talent on this team for them not to be a playoff team.
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 9:25 a.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
I think the Kings are in the worst position of any team in the league right now. Worse than OTT. At least OTT has a decent young D core. ANA is in much better shape. Rakell is young and they have a top 5 goalie. Decent number of young Forward prospects too. I bet Doughty is wishing he waited for UFA. He'd have gotten the same $$$ and could've played anywhere.

kings just had 3 draft picks in the top 40. where they got turcotte, bjornfoot, and kaliyev. if all three of those guys hit you have a center, winger, dman from 1 draft. they have vilardi, they have a couple other guys in forward prospects, they are going to get a top 5 pick again this year which will net them a great player for the future. once kovalchuk and carters deals come off the books they have almost 12m in cap space to spend. they could trade brown or maybe sell quick if he rebounds this year. they need a few defensive players. But they have kopitar, toffoli, brown, DD i think they will be back to contenders by 2021-22 season.
Bflo_Soldier liked this.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 9:56 a.m.
kings just had 3 draft picks in the top 40. where they got turcotte, bjornfoot, and kaliyev. if all three of those guys hit you have a center, winger, dman from 1 draft. they have vilardi, they have a couple other guys in forward prospects, they are going to get a top 5 pick again this year which will net them a great player for the future. once kovalchuk and carters deals come off the books they have almost 12m in cap space to spend. they could trade brown or maybe sell quick if he rebounds this year. they need a few defensive players. But they have kopitar, toffoli, brown, DD i think they will be back to contenders by 2021-22 season.

...Jaret Anderson-Dolan, Rasmus Kupari, Akil Thomas, Sean Durzi, Mikey Anderson, Cal Petersen...

The Kings definitely have one of the best prospect pools right now.
hanson493 liked this.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 10:13 a.m.

If all of those things pan out the Kings will be good a lot sooner than most people think. But getting 3 legit roster players in one draft is a rare occurrence. And Vilardi was supposed to have made an impact already. It just shows the uncertainty of the draft. They really need 2-3 more years of top 5 picks to properly rebuild. You never know though. They could land a #1 pick and be back sooner than expected.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 10:17 a.m.
...Jaret Anderson-Dolan, Rasmus Kupari, Akil Thomas, Sean Durzi, Mikey Anderson, Cal Petersen...

To add on, are all those guys going to hit? who knows but i mean the future for them isnt bleak. they just need a couple dmen but theyve had pretty recent success with dmen so I would feel confident in them getting more d help. the real question mark is the goalie but they could grab one next draft. who knows. Ide say minnesota and ottawa have the roughest future ahead of them. Edmonton if their season tanks again this year.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 11:09 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer

dont forget Grundstrom too
Aug. 15, 2019 at 12:14 p.m.
To add on, are all those guys going to hit? who knows but i mean the future for them isnt bleak. they just need a couple dmen but theyve had pretty recent success with dmen so I would feel confident in them getting more d help. the real question mark is the goalie but they could grab one next draft. who knows. Ide say minnesota and ottawa have the roughest future ahead of them. Edmonton if their season tanks again this year.

1) Having a good prospect pool isn't the only (or even the biggest) indicator for how a team will be going forward. Five years ago the top prospect pools were Buffalo, Washington, Islanders, Winnipeg, and Vancouver. Worked out for some; not so much for others. But in a conversation about rebuilding obviously what teams have in (or can add to) the cupboard is going to be a topic of focus.

2) Don't sleep on Petersen as the Kings goalie after Quick. He's talented, and I was pretty bummed when the Sabres lost his rights (although I have no problem with prospects having the ability or taking the option to choose their employer whenever the opportunity arises). He's one to watch in the next few years.

3) I think we're all (you, Brian, and I) are on the same page for the most part regarding the Kings. They're not going up, they have a lot of talented prospects, and they have a lot of declining vets with term left; so they're going to struggle for a while while their youngsters develop and they can begin shedding salaries. I think the only disagreement, from what I can tell, is how bad a position that is for them to be in.

4) I'd say Edmonton is probably in the worst position right now. They have a few VERY good pieces that they don't want to move and a whole lot of squat after that. There aren't too many middling talents they can use to flip for futures (prospects/picks), they don't have a lot of top end prospects right now despite not being good for a long time, and they have a hard time attracting really good players in free agency because no one wants to live in Edmonton or play for the Oilers. I worry that a whole lot of McDavid's career is going to be wasted there.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll