SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Is Alexis Lafrienere a Generational Talent

Aug. 15, 2019 at 11:55 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
I would say yes, he’s a monster. I think he’ll be like a MacKinnon level player but on the wing. It’s really very hard to call someone generational, but I think he is. Idk what everyone else would say though since you can’t throw the word generational around everywhere.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 12:00 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I don't know enough about him but with what i've heard he might be better than McDavid. Do you see him ever being a 150 point player? That's a crazy good season, but i've heard he's good enough that he probably could get there. Whether he will or not is the question, but he probably COULD.
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 12:02 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
I don't know enough about him but with what i've heard he might be better than McDavid. Do you see him ever being a 150 point player? That's a crazy good season, but i've heard he's good enough that he probably could get there. Whether he will or not is the question, but he probably COULD.

From the last time I remember that u checked in his rookie season in the Q he put up a few less points than Crosby. And then this year I think he put up what around MacKinnon did in his +1 draft year or whatever u call it. Calling him McDavid or Crosby might be a bit of a stretch. But I think his ceiling is just a smidge below that
Aug. 15, 2019 at 12:19 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: klondikebar
From the last time I remember that u checked in his rookie season in the Q he put up a few less points than Crosby. And then this year I think he put up what around MacKinnon did in his +1 draft year or whatever u call it. Calling him McDavid or Crosby might be a bit of a stretch. But I think his ceiling is just a smidge below that

I've heard he could be better than McDavid, but i can't remember where. I haven't watched him play much though, i watch mostly NHL. So, maybe not. Either way, i can't wait to watch him play and see how good he is. Obviously, you want your team to be in the playoffs, but one or both of my teams miss, i'll be hoping one of my teams wins the lottery, obviously. But you don't ever cheer for your team to miss the playoffs even if there's a player like Lafreniere in the draft.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 12:26 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
I've heard he could be better than McDavid, but i can't remember where. I haven't watched him play much though, i watch mostly NHL. So, maybe not. Either way, i can't wait to watch him play and see how good he is. Obviously, you want your team to be in the playoffs, but one or both of my teams miss, i'll be hoping one of my teams wins the lottery, obviously. But you don't ever cheer for your team to miss the playoffs even if there's a player like Lafreniere in the draft.

This year if the isles do terrible I’ll be not happy not not that bad cuz we have the chance for him. He’s exactly what we need, a marketable superstar winger to play w Barzy
Aug. 15, 2019 at 12:28 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
This year if the isles do terrible I’ll be not happy not not that bad cuz we have the chance for him. He’s exactly what we need, a marketable superstar winger to play w Barzy

I hope we make the playoffs, obviously, but at least if we don't we get a chance at Lafreniere. Unfortunately, i don't think we're a playoff team this year with all the teams improving, but i think the Rangers will make it ... we'll see though.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 12:28 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I don't have 1 favourite team, i have 2 ... maybe i'll figure out that i do have a #1 favourite if the Rangers and Islanders play each other in the playoffs lol.
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 12:51 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
I hope we make the playoffs, obviously, but at least if we don't we get a chance at Lafreniere. Unfortunately, i don't think we're a playoff team this year with all the teams improving, but i think the Rangers will make it ... we'll see though.

If only I were as nice as u and could root for more than 1 NY team. If the isles don’t make it then the rangers better not make it cuz some rags fans Ik won’t su ab it, especially if we don’t get Lafrienere
Aug. 15, 2019 at 12:57 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
If only I were as nice as u and could root for more than 1 NY team. If the isles don’t make it then the rangers better not make it cuz some rags fans Ik won’t su ab it, especially if we don’t get Lafrienere

I hope both teams make the playoffs ... i hope at least 1 does, idc who ... hopefully both IMO.
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 1:07 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
McDavid is the generational talent for now. Lafreniere is probably the best prospect since McDavid (toss up between him and Dahlin) but the whole "generational" conversation needs to die down. I'd say he's a slightly better prospect than Matthews was, but still not going to anoint him as generational.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 2:05 p.m.
Below Market Value
Lafreniere is a fantastic talent, but remember he also has a late birthday. He just missed last year's draft by less than a month, similar to Matthews missing by a couple days. So his draft year stats are going to look astronomical in comparison to some of the other draft-eligible players around him. So while he definitely will be an elite talent, I hesitate to call him a generational talent.
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 2:06 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Lafreniere is a fantastic talent, but remember he also has a late birthday. He just missed last year's draft by less than a month, similar to Matthews missing by a couple days. So his draft year stats are going to look astronomical in comparison to some of the other draft-eligible players around him. So while he definitely will be an elite talent, I hesitate to call him a generational talent.

True I didn’t think about that
Aug. 16, 2019 at 3:31 p.m.
Boo Burta Boo
I would say yes, he’s a monster. I think he’ll be like a MacKinnon level player but on the wing. It’s really very hard to call someone generational, but I think he is. Idk what everyone else would say though since you can’t throw the word generational around everywhere.

I've only seen him play a handful of times and even then, just in clips. JMO, but I doubt it, mainly because he's a winger and for a winger to be good enough to earn that tag, he has to have the kind of hands where you all but spot him 500 goals on his career on draft day. The last winger to do it would have been Ovi, before that MAYBE Bossy.

That said, I also wish we'd let the kids get drafted and play through their ELC before starting this kind of talk about them.
Aug. 16, 2019 at 5:04 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: LeftistRedneck
I've only seen him play a handful of times and even then, just in clips. JMO, but I doubt it, mainly because he's a winger and for a winger to be good enough to earn that tag, he has to have the kind of hands where you all but spot him 500 goals on his career on draft day. The last winger to do it would have been Ovi, before that MAYBE Bossy.

That said, I also wish we'd let the kids get drafted and play through their ELC before starting this kind of talk about them.

I thought he was a C?

Edit: Idk though. You'd know better than i would.
Aug. 16, 2019 at 5:20 p.m.
Boo Burta Boo
I thought he was a C?

Nope, LW. Maybe he could be converted, but it's usually a lot easier to convert a kid the other way around.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Aug. 16, 2019 at 6:52 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
I thought he was a C?

No he’s a winger
Aug. 17, 2019 at 1:13 p.m.
For me no, he will be Hughes/Mathews, I reserve Generational players for people like Gretzky,Orr,Crosby, McDavid. IMO a Generational player is someone who is a once in 10-15 Year type of player.
AndrewLadd, Rangsey and PrisonBull liked this.
Aug. 29, 2019 at 9:05 a.m.
He is good but with such a talented draft pool he has a very good chance of dropping out of the #1 spot. So definitely not generational. Could be a franchise player.
Aug. 29, 2019 at 9:30 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: PrisonBull
He is good but with such a talented draft pool he has a very good chance of dropping out of the #1 spot. So definitely not generational. Could be a franchise player.

I'd be shocked if he doesn't go #1.
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 30, 2019 at 3:31 a.m.
Do you guys think he's as hyped as Crosby, McDavid, or even Jack Hughes when they were approaching their respective draft seasons? Clearly we need to see more to answer this question, but right now I have a hard time seeing him as potential heir apparent to Sid or McDavid. We'll learn a lot by late December and the WJC.
Aug. 30, 2019 at 10:10 a.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: Brian2016
Do you guys think he's as hyped as Crosby, McDavid, or even Jack Hughes when they were approaching their respective draft seasons? Clearly we need to see more to answer this question, but right now I have a hard time seeing him as potential heir apparent to Sid or McDavid. We'll learn a lot by late December and the WJC.

He definitely has been talked about since the 2016 draft, at least in Canadian circles and among people that really know the junior circuit such as Jeff Marek and Sam Cosentino. He's torn up every level he's played at so there has been a good deal of hype surrounding him.
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 30, 2019 at 10:15 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: Brian2016

i definitely think Lafrienere is more highly touted than Hughes but what do i know

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll