Forums/Armchair-GM

Laine conversation - Am I crazy

Created by: Ccc
Team: 2019-20 Custom Team
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 18, 2019
Published: Aug. 18, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I don’t know why but I feel as if any of our premium RFAs leave their respective teams it will be Laine. Whether its OS (unlikely) or Trade (more likely). Laine arguably being at a low point in value compared to Point, Rant, Mitch. But also arguably could end up being the most valuable in the end. I’m not a Laine lover, I personally knock him. Not as much as I knock Marner, but Laine is not someone I particularly have a soft spot for to put it. But I see him being possibly better than those previously mentioned, in the next couple years but honestly even next season coming up. That said, as I previously mentioned; I see him having the most chance at leaving.

Thoughts? Discussion? Jets fans and other fans aswell.
I’m not saying he will leave just my thought. Jets could use Laine for a young Top 4 D, a top prospect, a good roster player, and picks (atleast 1st to 2nd round picks)
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
10$81,500,000$87,500,000$0$0-$6,000,000
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Laine, Laine
$8,750,000$8,750,000
Laine, Laine
$8,750,000$8,750,000
Laine, Laine
$8,750,000$8,750,000
Laine, Laine
$8,750,000$8,750,000
Laine, Laine
$8,750,000$8,750,000
Laine, Laine
$8,750,000$8,750,000
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Laine, Laine
$8,750,000$8,750,000
Laine, Laine
$8,750,000$8,750,000
Laine, Laine
$8,750,000$8,750,000
Laine, Laine
$8,750,000$8,750,000

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 18, 2019 at 12:49 p.m.
What in tarnation
Yesterday I discussed with NYI fans about an offer that was Laine in exchange to Bailey+Dobson/Pulock+1st. They didn't exactly approved it. Now I'm not a fan of neither teams, but I'd consider that a fair trade...
Ccc liked this.
Aug. 18, 2019 at 12:57 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
As a Jets fan if a Laine trade happens already seriously the owner might as well hang a for sale sign on the organization and just keep an AHL team cause it's clear they'll have no idea what it takes to run a first class NHL team.
Aug. 18, 2019 at 1:09 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Hockey is a 200ft game. I’m not sure if Laine will ever develop that way. He is a great goal scorer and that certainly carries some value.

Quoting: MisstheWhalers
As a Jets fan if a Laine trade happens already seriously the owner might as well hang a for sale sign on the organization and just keep an AHL team cause it's clear they'll have no idea what it takes to run a first class NHL team.

I think the right trade could be beneficial. The wrong trade and yup I agree, could really bury the franchise.
Aug. 18, 2019 at 1:32 p.m.
Quoting: BurgerBoss
Yesterday I discussed with NYI fans about an offer that was Laine in exchange to Bailey+Dobson/Pulock+1st. They didn't exactly approved it. Now I'm not a fan of neither teams, but I'd consider that a fair trade...

Lol, that would be an insane trade for NYI to make
Aug. 18, 2019 at 1:33 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Jamiepo
Hockey is a 200ft game. I’m not sure if Laine will ever develop that way. He is a great goal scorer and that certainly carries some value.

I think the right trade could be beneficial. The wrong trade and yup I agree, could really bury the franchise.

Not sure how many Jets games you catch but Laine already has a pretty solid 200 foot game, he back checks well and picks up his guy, his problem is turnovers/getting the puck stripped but he's 21 for **** sakes! That'll improve, 21 year old Scheiffele couldn't stay on his feet, neither could Crosby for that matter, guess the Jets and Pens should've moved on from them too. Also the Jets problem is the D zone is the system they run but that's on the coach not the players, man to man coverage doesn't work and that's what the Jets run.

I don't know if any trade could be more beneficial then having a generational goal scorer but I guess anything is possible.

If they trade him what would it say about an organization that's already moving on from a 2nd overall draft pick that has three 30+ goal seasons by the time he turned 21? Nothing good imo.
Ccc liked this.
Aug. 18, 2019 at 1:38 p.m.
? San Jose Sharks ?
Not sure how many Jets games you catch but Laine already has a pretty solid 200 foot game, he back checks well and picks up his guy, his problem is turnovers/getting the puck stripped but he's 21 for **** sakes! That'll improve, 21 year old Scheiffele couldn't stay on his feet, neither could Crosby for that matter, guess the Jets and Pens should've moved on from them too. Also the Jets problem is the D zone is the system they run but that's on the coach not the players, man to man coverage doesn't work and that's what the Jets run.

I don't know if any trade could be more beneficial then having a generational goal scorer but I guess anything is possible.

If they trade him what would it say about an organization that's already moving on from a 2nd overall draft pick that has three 30+ goal seasons by the time he turned 21? Nothing good imo.

I think that NYI trade is fair to a degree, but NY wouldn’t accept, although it’s fair I would say. And yes bad trade would be if it was similar to the Karlsson trade that would ruin the Jets. But as mentioned but as whalers said he cold be our future rocket Richard taker similar to ovi. He’s no ovi but similar. And maybe that’s worth paying the 8 year contract to see how he rebounds.
Aug. 18, 2019 at 2:25 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

Watched about 25-30 last season. Laine is not a 200ft player...at all. He has shown regression to be honest. I thought he was better last season. It could be because he wasn’t producing as consistently makes it stand out a bit more.

The excuse that he is 21 doesn’t hold water. No ones asking him to be mark stone. My entire point was maybe the jets could improve rove the team in the long run. Not that Laine is trash. He’s a goal scorer. I like that.
Aug. 18, 2019 at 2:28 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
To answer your question about what it says about the organization it all depends on his ask. If he’s being in reasonable with his demands or asking for actrade, I’m pretty sure that management gets all the support they need. Just like trouba. Holding on to him would have been a huge mistake. It’s just ****ty luck.
Aug. 18, 2019 at 3:16 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
Lol, that would be an insane trade for NYI to make

Imo it's worth considering. If Laine gets his confidence back an plays with a great playmake like Barzal, he could be virtually unstoppable as a goal scorer.

From current NHLers, there's only two players that have the scoring prowess and efficiency to hypothetically reach a 60 goal season, Ovechkin is first, Laine is second.
Aug. 18, 2019 at 4:12 p.m.
Imo it's worth considering. If Laine gets his confidence back an plays with a great playmake like Barzal, he could be virtually unstoppable as a goal scorer.

From current NHLers, there's only two players that have the scoring prowess and efficiency to hypothetically reach a 60 goal season, Ovechkin is first, Laine is second.

I mean stamkos already did it
Aug. 18, 2019 at 4:13 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Watched about 25-30 last season. Laine is not a 200ft player...at all. He has shown regression to be honest. I thought he was better last season. It could be because he wasn’t producing as consistently makes it stand out a bit more.

The excuse that he is 21 doesn’t hold water. No ones asking him to be mark stone. My entire point was maybe the jets could improve rove the team in the long run. Not that Laine is trash. He’s a goal scorer. I like that.

I disagree but we all have our own opinions and that's fine.

Being 21 does hold water, Mark Stone had played what was it, something like 5 NHL games by the time he was 21, it takes time for a players game to fully round out.
Aug. 18, 2019 at 4:17 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
To answer your question about what it says about the organization it all depends on his ask. If he’s being in reasonable with his demands or asking for actrade, I’m pretty sure that management gets all the support they need. Just like trouba. Holding on to him would have been a huge mistake. It’s just ****ty luck.

A small market team that struggles to attract talent lucks out and gets a talent like Laine just to trade him right after his ELC ends?
Seriously just sell the ****ing team if you can't sign a guy like that cause they clearly don't have a clue what they're doing.
As for Trouba yeah they ****ed that up so they're really on a roll, just pray they get the Laine situation right I guess.
Aug. 18, 2019 at 4:33 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
I mean stamkos already did it

Right, but I don't see him being able to do it anymore. Back then he was on the best phase in his career.
Aug. 18, 2019 at 5:05 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Right, but I don't see him being able to do it anymore. Back then he was on the best phase in his career.

No mention of Matthews... all he needs is a healthy season.
Aug. 18, 2019 at 5:09 p.m.
What in tarnation
No mention of Matthews... all he needs is a healthy season.

He was my third option.
Aug. 19, 2019 at 1:24 p.m.
Unfortunately for Laine, he is on a team blessed deep in forwards. The face of the Jets are Wheeler and Scheifele. Laine, currently is an after thought. As a player, currently, he is seen as one dimensional, a pure offensive talent. The Jet expect him to score goals. When it is not happening, and because of a deep offensive team, he get less ice time. I think his numbers would raise sharply, if he was playing for team which lack consistent scoring. Laine is a quandary of sorts, but which every GM would welcome. I have stated before I can’t see the Jets being able to sign both Laine and Connor (if could work if both agree to bridge deals) to long term market value deals.

Calgary traded Brett Hull ( 52gp 26G 24A) in his first full season in 1988 to St. Louis with Steve Bozak for (Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley), players which added depth to already competitive team. That season Hull was a consideration for the Calder trophy, which was won by former team mate Joe Nieuwendyk.

Hull was viewed, in my opinion as a emerging young talent but less valuable on a deep club. He became expendable in the effort to make Calgary better and compete for the cup.

An afterthought:

In the next 6 seasons in St.Louis, Hull would score no less than 41goals (his first season) and the legend was born. Now had that trade with the Blues not happened and he remained on Calgary, would Hull have similar offensive production on a deep club? Surely, it would be safe to say his ice would have been reduce and less opportunities to score.

I see the same situation in Winnipeg with Laine.

As for the other RFA’s mention, I would say with 100% certainly that Colorado will sign Ratanen. Why wouldn’t they. They have the cap. As for Toronto and Tampa Bay, obviously salary must be move in order to sign their RFA. There are variables which obviously come into play here. #1 Finding a team(s) to take salary (where so many clubs are encroaching near the cap, #2 how will player movement will effect team chemistry and their competitiveness?

I believe the GM’s of these RFA’s are playing a game of chicken. Nobody wants to over paid. The first signing with will act as precedent with the others.
Ccc liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll