Forums/Armchair-GM

Laine

Created by: Caniac2000
Team: 2019-20 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 19, 2019
Published: Aug. 19, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If you can't beat them join them. This is a somewhat realistic deal from a Carolina perspective. What do you think?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$8,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,000,000
Trades
CAR
  1. Laine, Patrik [RFA Rights]
WPG
  1. Gauthier, Julien
  2. Honka, Anttoni [Reserve List]
  3. Kuokkanen, Janne
  4. McGinn, Brock
  5. McKeown, Roland [RFA Rights]
  6. Necas, Martin
  7. 2020 1st round pick (TOR)
  8. 2020 3rd round pick (BUF)
Additional Details:
qUaNtItY OvEr QuAlItY

Necas and Gautheir were first round picks, Necas is well known, Gauthier has a THUMPING shot. Kuokkanen was a 2nd round pick who was a point per game in Charlotte until he suffered a bad injury that ended his season. McGinn is partially for cap reasons and partly because Winnipeg are gonna need to fill that roster spot. Honka and McKeown are quality RHD men, with Honka being a 2nd rounder in this past draft.
CAR
  1. 2020 7th round pick (CBJ)
CBJ
  1. Reimer, James
  2. 2020 5th round pick (CAR)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$81,500,000$80,646,500$0$2,670,000$853,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$8,250,000$8,250,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$8,454,000$8,454,000
C
UFA - 5
$5,400,000$5,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$3,375,000$3,375,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$746,667$746,667 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LD
UFA - 6
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
UFA - 2
$3,125,000$3,125,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
UFA - 5
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$737,500$737,500
G
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,300,000$2,300,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 19, 2019 at 4:51 p.m.
Daryl
The jets are trying to win the Stanley cup, not the Calder cup. The fact that you have to provide rationale on all of these players sums up the trade for itself.
Howyoudrouinnn and ChiHawk liked this.
Aug. 19, 2019 at 4:54 p.m.
This trade COULD WORK!

If Winnipeg drops to the AHL and needs to win the Calder cup.
ChiHawk liked this.
Aug. 19, 2019 at 5:04 p.m.
DwightSchrute
Just because Gauthier and Necas were 1st rounders doesnt mean they have good value
ChiHawk liked this.
Aug. 19, 2019 at 5:07 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: DarylMcNeckHead
The jets are trying to win the Stanley cup, not the Calder cup. The fact that you have to provide rationale on all of these players sums up the trade for itself.

Quoting: Howyoudrouinnn
This trade COULD WORK!

If Winnipeg drops to the AHL and needs to win the Calder cup.

Bold talk from guys who have 8 forwards on the roster plus Laine and Connor, plus Vesalainen and Appleton in the system -- and after that, no one likely to see the interior of an NHL arena from the bench in the next two years with the possible exception of the Russian. I can see all 6 of these players you're sneering at on the Jets in September 2020. (The four forwards are clearly better prospects than Appleton, by the way.)
Aug. 19, 2019 at 5:10 p.m.
Quoting: DwightSchrute
Just because Gauthier and Necas were 1st rounders doesnt mean they have good value

Necas 100% does he has top line upside, Gauthier's value isn't his draft stock. It's his shot. It's his shot, and it's a small cannon. Gauthier has 2nd line upside based on his shot and his skating if he becomes somewhat responsible defensively he'll be a good 2nd liner.
Aug. 19, 2019 at 5:11 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Bold talk from guys who have 8 forwards on the roster plus Laine and Connor, plus Vesalainen and Appleton in the system -- and after that, no one likely to see the interior of an NHL arena from the bench in the next two years with the possible exception of the Russian. I can see all 6 of these players you're sneering at on the Jets in September 2020. (The four forwards are clearly better prospects than Appleton, by the way.)

McGinn isn't a prospect, nor is he better than Mason Appleton, but the other 3 are hands down
OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 19, 2019 at 5:16 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Caniac2000
McGinn isn't a prospect, nor is he better than Mason Appleton, but the other 3 are hands down

I was pissed.

And I'm not a Carolina fan. As you know. Although I do highly respect the team.
Caniac2000 liked this.
Aug. 19, 2019 at 5:22 p.m.
Daryl

That’s fine. As long as we have a forward core of Laine, Connor, Scheif, Ehlers, Wheeler, Little and Copp I’m not too worried about the other 5 guys that play in the bottom 6. It’s easy to input 2 rookies and 3 defensively responsible guys there.

Jets are great at drafting and as long as we hold onto our picks from now on we should have no problem rotating out bottom 6 players.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 19, 2019 at 5:23 p.m.
hmmm none of those names are Sebastion Aho......
Aug. 19, 2019 at 5:24 p.m.
Banned

I think moving out Laine or Connor is a mistake for the Jets. They have a lot of good younger players, and then some good older guys. They should move out the older guys even if it means 1 step back, because it will prevent much worse issues in the future.
OldNYIfan and jgimp69 liked this.
Aug. 19, 2019 at 5:30 p.m.

So we trade away Laine so we dont have to have Appleton on the roster? That makes sense (sarcasm)! Dude, this is a couple quarters and some pennies for a dollar! GTFO! This deal would start with Svechnikov.
Aug. 19, 2019 at 5:33 p.m.
jimmyjets
Classic quantity for Quality trade. Easy no. We won't be trading Laine for even 5 quarters for the dollar.

IMO Pesce+ must be in any Laine trade from the 'canes for the Jets to even consider it. They need the value contract and aren't going to risk extending Faulk (his O game has fallen off) or trying to extend Hamilton in 2 years. Pesce is under team control and can play with JMo to form our shutdown pair which addresses a now need since we're in our contention window.

Trading for Laine would hurt. Bit pieces and role players need not be included.

P.S. Jets are very high on Appleton. He's such a lock to make the team I'm not sure why capfriendly isn't showing him on the NHL roster already. After him I agree it's mostly bottom 6 depth but we don't have any top 9 spots to hand out over the next 2 years either...

Laine Scheif Wheeler
Perreault Little Ehlers
Connor Roslovic Vesalainen
Copp Lowry Appleton

You can trade Laine but then Connor takes his spot in the top 6. Perreautl will be replaced by Vsalainen. We hope Little will be replaced by Roslovic but it's a make or break year for him at C.

So all these depth guys that you're trading us that will be stashed in the minors aren't going to have a chance to play unless we have significant injuries anyhow.
ChiHawk liked this.
Aug. 19, 2019 at 5:36 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: DarylMcNeckHead
That’s fine. As long as we have a forward core of Laine, Connor, Scheif, Ehlers, Wheeler, Little and Copp I’m not too worried about the other 5 guys that play in the bottom 6. It’s easy to input 2 rookies and 3 defensively responsible guys there.

Jets are great at drafting and as long as we hold onto our picks from now on we should have no problem rotating out bottom 6 players.

I'm not criticizing the team or the way it's been managed (remember where Chevy came from), just objecting to the idea that you couldn't use these players.
Aug. 19, 2019 at 5:38 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Ducky10
So we trade away Laine so we don't have to have Appleton on the roster?

How in the world did you get that out of my pointing out that after the 8 forwards currently on the roster (including Laine) plus Vesalainen and Appleton, you don't have anyone else of NHL quality left in the system to ice a full team with?
Aug. 19, 2019 at 5:45 p.m.
How in the world did you get that out of my pointing out that after the 8 forwards currently on the roster (including Laine) plus Vesalainen and Appleton, you don't have anyone else of NHL quality left in the system to ice a full team with?

Because you said this "I can see all 6 of these players you're sneering at on the Jets in September 2020. (The four forwards are clearly better prospects than Appleton, by the way.)"
You are seemingly justifying trading Laine to replace a bottom 6 forward (who is actually better than at least 3 of the dudes you mention). You seem to be concerned about organizational depth.
Aug. 19, 2019 at 5:49 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Because you said this "I can see all 6 of these players you're sneering at on the Jets in September 2020. (The four forwards are clearly better prospects than Appleton, by the way.)"
You are seemingly justifying trading Laine to replace a bottom 6 forward (who is actually better than at least 3 of the dudes you mention). You seem to be concerned about organizational depth.

Yeah. You guys have none.

For the record, just to be clear, I think Appleton makes the team this year and stays.
Aug. 19, 2019 at 6:03 p.m.

For the record, just to be clear, I think Appleton makes the team this year and stays.

He absolutely does!
4th line forwards aren't overly difficult to acquire.
21 yr old 40+ goal scorers are VERY difficult to acquire.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 19, 2019 at 6:55 p.m.
Jet69

I think he will be just as good if not better than Tanev
OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 19, 2019 at 7:06 p.m.
Jet69
Quoting: jimmyjets
Classic quantity for Quality trade. Easy no. We won't be trading Laine for even 5 quarters for the dollar.

IMO Pesce+ must be in any Laine trade from the 'canes for the Jets to even consider it. They need the value contract and aren't going to risk extending Faulk (his O game has fallen off) or trying to extend Hamilton in 2 years. Pesce is under team control and can play with JMo to form our shutdown pair which addresses a now need since we're in our contention window.

Trading for Laine would hurt. Bit pieces and role players need not be included.

P.S. Jets are very high on Appleton. He's such a lock to make the team I'm not sure why capfriendly isn't showing him on the NHL roster already. After him I agree it's mostly bottom 6 depth but we don't have any top 9 spots to hand out over the next 2 years either...

Laine Scheif Wheeler
Perreault Little Ehlers
Connor Roslovic Vesalainen
Copp Lowry Appleton

You can trade Laine but then Connor takes his spot in the top 6. Perreautl will be replaced by Vsalainen. We hope Little will be replaced by Roslovic but it's a make or break year for him at C.

So all these depth guys that you're trading us that will be stashed in the minors aren't going to have a chance to play unless we have significant injuries anyhow.

Agree, it would all start with Pesce+ as Slavin would most definitely be off the table. Carolina has the pieces that Winnipeg needs and Winnipeg has the goal scoring forwards that Car needs. They do make good trade partners but Carolina fans throwing out bits and pieces like it’s EA sports BeAGm mode for a generational goal scorer isn’t going to cut it. I could see something along the lines of Pesce/Necas/conditional 1st for Laine with small add to balance the trade as being doable.
Peg gets a T4 RHD and potential #2 C in Necas. Conditional pick could be based on 40 goals or something along the lines but pair him with Aho and he hits 50
ChiHawk liked this.
Aug. 19, 2019 at 8:10 p.m.
Quoting: jgimp69
Agree, it would all start with Pesce+ as Slavin would most definitely be off the table. Carolina has the pieces that Winnipeg needs and Winnipeg has the goal scoring forwards that Car needs. They do make good trade partners but Carolina fans throwing out bits and pieces like it’s EA sports BeAGm mode for a generational goal scorer isn’t going to cut it. I could see something along the lines of Pesce/Necas/conditional 1st for Laine with small add to balance the trade as being doable.
Peg gets a T4 RHD and potential #2 C in Necas. Conditional pick could be based on 40 goals or something along the lines but pair him with Aho and he hits 50

I’d look at a package of Svechnikov a1st and Faulk
Aug. 19, 2019 at 9:20 p.m.
Jet69
Edited Aug. 19, 2019 at 9:26 p.m.
I’d look at a package of Svechnikov a1st and Faulk

If moving a winger like laine we need to get either a 2C or RHD. Pesce>Faulk and has a better contract that suits the Jets. Not sure if Roslo will cut it at 2C so getting another potential 2C in Necas again, suits the Jets needs better than another winger in Svechnikov. I think at a minimum Roslo would make a great 2nd line winger, so as long as one of Necas or Roslo develop into a solid centre we are set. If we could roll 3 scoring lines that would help alleviate losing Lainey’s scoring.
Aug. 19, 2019 at 10:12 p.m.
Quoting: jgimp69
If moving a winger like laine we need to get either a 2C or RHD. Pesce>Faulk and has a better contract that suits the Jets. Not sure if Roslo will cut it at 2C so getting another potential 2C in Necas again, suits the Jets needs better than another winger in Svechnikov. I think at a minimum Roslo would make a great 2nd line winger, so as long as one of Necas or Roslo develop into a solid centre we are set. If we could roll 3 scoring lines that would help alleviate losing Lainey’s scoring.

It seemed the problem was Laine and Little not working together. You eliminate one of them. I think we can roll 4. Roslovic needs to replace Tanev alongside Lowry and Perrault. It could be
27. 55. 26
81. 18. 37
85. 17. 28
92. 9. ??
Mix and match as you go!.
Faulk would be a placeholder, a rental per se. Gotta sign JoMo, Roslovic and Niku next summer. Don’t impede Samberg and Heinola either!
Don’t get me wrong though. The Jets should ABSOLUTELY NOT trade Laine!!!
jgimp69 liked this.
Aug. 20, 2019 at 12:13 a.m.
Jet69
It seemed the problem was Laine and Little not working together. You eliminate one of them. I think we can roll 4. Roslovic needs to replace Tanev alongside Lowry and Perrault. It could be
27. 55. 26
81. 18. 37
85. 17. 28
92. 9. ??
Mix and match as you go!.
Faulk would be a placeholder, a rental per se. Gotta sign JoMo, Roslovic and Niku next summer. Don’t impede Samberg and Heinola either!
Don’t get me wrong though. The Jets should ABSOLUTELY NOT trade Laine!!!

Totally agree. PoMo and Wheels should be exiting before we even think of moving Laine. Like many I think there is some Wheeler big man issues in the room and you don’t choose a 33 year old over a generational scorer. PoMo has handled this lineup horribly.
I’m still a big fan of 3 scoring lines and a grinding ala Lowry line to wear down the opponent/penalty kill. But the lines all need somewhat equal ice time otherwise you burn out your top line as we witnessed last year and the year before.
I would rather undersell Wheeler than undersell Laine!!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll