Forums/Armchair-GM

The Yzerplan Rebuild

Created by: CN10
Team: 2019-20 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 16, 2019
Published: Aug. 19, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
After the acquisition of Erne, I expect Yzerman may be done adjusting the roster this offseason. He could still look to weaponize Detroit's cap space to speed up his re-build though. The organization will be looking towards having their prospects compete in training camp for big league spots (two forward roles available at minimum) and could move veterans to make room if more of the young guys force their way onto the team. If nobody impresses enough, I think the plan will be to have a strong AHL team led by the young guys and then sell some pieces at the deadline to perhaps bring up the prospects for a look near the end of the season.

Offseason
Kronwall chooses to retire rather than come back and play through another year of knee pain. He has cups and money so there's really no reason for him to risk his health any further. I could see him being offered a scouting/coaching/management role with the organization in the future if that's what he chooses to do.

Training Camp
Hirose continues where he left off last season on a line with AA and Nielsen, earning himself a top 6 role.
Detroit's management wants to free up a spot for Cholowski to develop at the NHL level and ships out Daley to a contender. I think the Flames get him for depth and cap savings (moving Frolik).
Svechnikov hopefully is fully recovered from his injury, but because he is waiver exempt, the Wings likely keep him down playing a first line role in the AHL due to so much missed development time. Rasmussen, Zadina, and Erne compete for the third line role with PP time at the NHL level. Nobody impresses enough and Detroit pillages the NYR for Strome/Namestnikov to fill that role in a stop gap move while allowing their prospects time to develop in the AHL. Erne is on the 4th line to start the year.
The Wings send down what they hope will be a dominant top line at the AHL level in Svechnikov, Veleno, and Zadina, and let Kaski adjust to the NA sized ice at the AHL level. Rasmussen goes down as well to play with Ehn giving the AHL a formidable top 6.

As the Season Progresses
They move out as many pending UFA's as they can at the deadline:
Frolik & Green are likely worth 2nd rounders at the deadline if they are playing well (especially if Detroit retains).
Maybe Ericsson can get a 4th or 5th if he shows he's healthy as a 6/7D.
Namestnikov could be flipped at the deadline for a 3rd (San Jose perhaps) but he's young enough that they may keep him around a couple more years as prospects work their way into the lineup.
Not sure what the goalie market would be for Howard. Perhaps if a team loses a goalie to injury they would get him and pay a premium, but I expect the return would be mediocre otherwise and perhaps Detroit would hang on to him.
After the trades they call up Kaski to fill Green's spot, and either move up Erne, or try one of Zadina / Svechnikov / Rasmussen on the third line where Frolik was being played. They could also bring up Ehn or another prospect to play fourth line instead of playing all three veterans, but I assumed they'd prefer to have prospects playing more meaningful AHL minutes on what should be a playoff team down there.
Trades
DET
  1. Frolík, Michael
Additional Details:
Detroit receives a good middle six winger who is a pending UFA that they will showcase while he helps mentor their young players and then move on at the deadline for better picks. They also open a roster spot for their younger defenders to get NHL minutes.
CGY
  1. Daley, Trevor ($1,583,333 retained)
  2. 2020 7th round pick (DET)
Additional Details:
Flames receive a veteran LD for depth and free up the cap space ($2.7M) to get Tkachuk locked up to a long term deal plus have space leftover for a deadline addition or depth forward signing. Detroit adds a late pick to balance the value of Frolik vs. Daley + cap space.
DET
  1. Holden, Nick
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (VGK)
Additional Details:
Detroit moves Green for a second near the deadline to a team in search of a puck moving RD. They agree to retain and take Holden (who they flip) to make the money work for Vegas.
VGK
  1. Green, Mike ($2,687,500 retained)
Additional Details:
Vegas uses one of their draft choices to upgrade its RD ahead of the playoffs. While Green is not as good as he used to be, he is a good middle pairing guy who can QB the powerplay at this point in his career, which is what the Knights roster is missing. Detroit retains and takes back Holden (who they flip) to make the money work.
DET
  1. 2020 6th round pick (WPG)
  2. 2021 4th round pick (WPG)
Additional Details:
Wings flip Holden to a playoff team looking for a veteran bottom pairing defender shortly after acquiring him from Vegas for a pair of mid-late picks.
WPG
  1. Holden, Nick
Additional Details:
Winnipeg adds a bottom pairing RD ahead of the playoffs for a mid + late pick (the going rate for veteran D at the deadline based on the McQuaid deal last year).
DET
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (BOS)
  2. 2021 7th round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
Detroit gets a second plus late pick at the deadline for a very good middle six winger who can help a team's PK. He also has a Stanley Cup on his resume. Teams value these types of players more at the deadline which is why I think Boston would spend this (based on less than their Johansson rental price from last season) especially considering the retention by Detroit to help fit him on their roster. Trade assumed Frolik is playing at a 40 to 45 point pace like last season.
BOS
  1. Frolík, Michael ($2,150,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Boston rents a half price Frolik as the #2/3 RW for their run at the cup. Should be able to get up to speed quickly in their system as there's fellow Czech core players in Boston (Pasta, Krecji).
DET
  1. Namestnikov, Vladislav
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (DAL)
Additional Details:
Yzerman drafted Namestnikov in Tampa, and moves back about a round in the draft to pick him up as a cheap top nine forward stop gap while their prospects develop in the AHL. At 26 he's young enough that they could keep him around for a couple years as a mentor to Svechnikov.
NYR
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (WSH)
Additional Details:
NYR get $4M in desperately needed cap space for this season and moves up in a loaded draft class that will help them round out their lineup in 2-3 years time.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the DET
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$67,807,499$145,000$2,982,500$13,692,501

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
UFA - 4
$3,300,000$3,300,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Rangers
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 2
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$3,850,000$3,850,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$714,166$714,166 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
RD
RFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000 (Performance Bonus$1,100,000$1M)
G
UFA - 1
$894,166$894,166
LD
RFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,083,333$6,083,333
C
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,954,545$3,954,545
RW, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 19, 2019 at 6:07 p.m.
All those details and you still have no knowledge ? If Holden was so easy to move, Vegas would have already trade him
Aug. 19, 2019 at 6:36 p.m.
How often do teams flip players like that?

With Detroit rebuilding they aren't going to give up a 2nd to rent Namestnikov and he wouldn't resign in Detroit.

Detroit isn't retaining any salary on Holden so if Winnipeg wanted Holden they'd just trade for him.
Aug. 20, 2019 at 7:48 a.m.
PlusMinus is stupid
Regardless of the minutia, I applaud you for actually putting some thought into one of these and at least value-for-value, being reasonable!
CN10 and yzerman1989 liked this.
Aug. 20, 2019 at 11:01 a.m.
Quoting: aedoran
How often do teams flip players like that?

With Detroit rebuilding they aren't going to give up a 2nd to rent Namestnikov and he wouldn't resign in Detroit.

Detroit isn't retaining any salary on Holden so if Winnipeg wanted Holden they'd just trade for him.

Flipping players happened last season with Brassard. I actually think it will start to be used more often with rebuilding teams as they can get players in the off season at a low value when teams are looking to get under the cap, showcase them with ice time, and then move them at the deadline for inflated values (especially if they retain).

My move for Namestikov moves back one round in the draft for him with the expectation that they could also flip him at the deadline. I also think he would potentially sign in Detroit on a short term deal for more money than he'd get elsewhere especially considering Yzerman drafted him so there is an existing relationship there.

Fair enough I guess, but I expect Vegas isn't going to dump him without a RHD coming back unless for some unforeseen reason they are trending to miss playoffs seeing as that's where they are thinnest right now.
yzerman1989 liked this.
Aug. 20, 2019 at 11:05 a.m.
Quoting: GMs
All those details and you still have no knowledge ? If Holden was so easy to move, Vegas would have already trade him

The offseason and trade deadline time are very different markets, especially this year when a lot of teams are cap crunched. Every deadline sees veteran defenders move to playoff teams for mid round picks. Every off season, not so much...

In my move Detroit takes Holden in order to get the best price for Green, and Winnipeg gets him from Detroit and not from Vegas as Vegas doesn't trade him without a RD coming back (they are thin at RHD).
yzerman1989 liked this.
Aug. 20, 2019 at 2:44 p.m.
Quoting: CN10
Flipping players happened last season with Brassard. I actually think it will start to be used more often with rebuilding teams as they can get players in the off season at a low value when teams are looking to get under the cap, showcase them with ice time, and then move them at the deadline for inflated values (especially if they retain).

My move for Namestikov moves back one round in the draft for him with the expectation that they could also flip him at the deadline. I also think he would potentially sign in Detroit on a short term deal for more money than he'd get elsewhere especially considering Yzerman drafted him so there is an existing relationship there.

Fair enough I guess, but I expect Vegas isn't going to dump him without a RHD coming back unless for some unforeseen reason they are trending to miss playoffs seeing as that's where they are thinnest right now.

Ok you named once last season and now you are saying filp Namestikov as well. I guess it makes sense on paper but it rarely ends up working out that way for real. I wouldn't do it because if Detroit can't flip Namestikov then Detroit losses a 2nd rd pick for nothing and since they are rebuilding thats a big loss. So taking chances in like that just aren't smart.
Aug. 20, 2019 at 3:06 p.m.
Ok you named once last season and now you are saying filp Namestikov as well. I guess it makes sense on paper but it rarely ends up working out that way for real. I wouldn't do it because if Detroit can't flip Namestikov then Detroit losses a 2nd rd pick for nothing and since they are rebuilding thats a big loss. So taking chances in like that just aren't smart.

There was also Hagelin last season as well. I agree it previously wasn't common, but things in this league change, and I think it is a viable strategy. As you've stated though, you have to be happy with the price you are paying and the player you are getting in case flipping them doesn't work out.

In my trade, Detroit loses what will be a late second, and gains back a mid-late third (which is the part I think you are overlooking) plus a good middle six player they can either flip (to get back that second +) or keep past this year. I think he'd fit in Detroit even if they can't move him at the deadline as he's only 26, and they will need good NHL players alongside their prospects for at least the next couple years of this build. It's an organization that has a history of not rushing their young players and giving them reliable NHL mentors to play alongside of.
Aug. 20, 2019 at 3:10 p.m.
Quoting: CN10
There was also Hagelin last season as well. I agree it previously wasn't common, but things in this league change, and I think it is a viable strategy. As you've stated though, you have to be happy with the price you are paying and the player you are getting in case flipping them doesn't work out.

In my trade, Detroit loses what will be a late second, and gains back a mid-late third (which is the part I think you are overlooking) plus a good middle six player they can either flip (to get back that second +) or keep past this year. I think he'd fit in Detroit even if they can't move him at the deadline as he's only 26, and they will need good NHL players alongside their prospects for at least the next couple years of this build. It's an organization that has a history of not rushing their young players and giving them reliable NHL mentors to play alongside of.

But the chance of resigning is slim to none. Keeping the second round pick much smarter.
Aug. 20, 2019 at 3:40 p.m.
But the chance of resigning is slim to none. Keeping the second round pick much smarter.

Agree to disagree. Where do you think he would end up signing instead? Detroit can probably offer more money on a shorter term and guarantee a decent amount of ice time that he can parlay into a larger deal in 2-3 years time. Namestnikov's ask is likely similar to Frolik's deal from several years ago (5 x 5% of cap or about $4.8M), but his market value is probably close to Connolly/Donskoi's 4 x $3.5M/$3.9M from this season. Nobody will, or at least nobody should give him the Frolik deal, but I think Detroit can offer close to that $ in the short term which may be tempting. Of course this is assuming that no team wants him at the deadline for that second pick back plus a meh prospect or late pick.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll