SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Debate: Who will have the better career; Matthews or MacKinnon

Who will have the better career
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 21, 2019 at 10:19 a.m.
i hope ur hungry now
Now, I know people will say I am stupid for saying this, and "look at the stats", but MacKinnon was not considered one of the best players in the league until the last two seasons. Matthews is already considered top 10. Matthews took less time to be a point per game, and I think he will be quicker to have a 90+ point season. MacKinnon's contract is much better, and MacKinnon is better now, but I've seen people writing off Matthews, and trading him for players that are much worse than him, saying that he is much worse than Marner, but he is a driving force on the leafs, and is nowhere near his peak.
Aug. 21, 2019 at 11:58 a.m.
Below Market Value
This is closer than I would have thought. MacKinnon has not had the injuries that Matthews has suffered, but Matthews had the better start through the first three seasons. However, MacKinnon has been better the two most recent seasons. MacKinnon also plays with better linemates, while Matthews currently plays on the better team.

It's a tough call, and I could go with MacKinnon just because I don't like Toronto. However, I could also go with Matthews just because he's a good ol' non-traditional market American boy.

So I'm just not going to pick.
SpaghettiPasta liked this.
Aug. 21, 2019 at 1:04 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
This is closer than I would have thought. MacKinnon has not had the injuries that Matthews has suffered, but Matthews had the better start through the first three seasons. However, MacKinnon has been better the two most recent seasons. MacKinnon also plays with better linemates, while Matthews currently plays on the better team.

It's a tough call, and I could go with MacKinnon just because I don't like Toronto. However, I could also go with Matthews just because he's a good ol' non-traditional market American boy.

So I'm just not going to pick.

So we know that you're NOT a Leafs fan. Gives us 30 other teams to try and figure out who you do root for
Aug. 21, 2019 at 1:05 p.m.
SabresFan1996
Quoting: SpaghettiPasta
Now, I know people will say I am stupid for saying this, and "look at the stats", but MacKinnon was not considered one of the best players in the league until the last two seasons. Matthews is already considered top 10. Matthews took less time to be a point per game, and I think he will be quicker to have a 90+ point season. MacKinnon's contract is much better, and MacKinnon is better now, but I've seen people writing off Matthews, and trading him for players that are much worse than him, saying that he is much worse than Marner, but he is a driving force on the leafs, and is nowhere near his peak.

Nathan MacKinnon has had 2 95+ point seasons
Aug. 21, 2019 at 1:16 p.m.
i hope ur hungry now
Quoting: DahlinOlofsson67

Matthews has had more points in his first three seasons than MacKinnon did, in less games. MacKinnon didn't have a 70+ point season until 17-18, 5 years in. Matthews had his first 70 point season 3 years in. I'm not asking who is better now, I'm asking who is going to have a better career.
Aug. 21, 2019 at 1:25 p.m.
SabresFan1996
Quoting: SpaghettiPasta
Matthews has had more points in his first three seasons than MacKinnon did, in less games. MacKinnon didn't have a 70+ point season until 17-18, 5 years in. Matthews had his first 70 point season 3 years in. I'm not asking who is better now, I'm asking who is going to have a better career.

The problem with Matthews is yes he had more points in less games in the first three years but I feel like MacKinnon will have a better career because Matthews is way too injury prone
Aug. 21, 2019 at 1:32 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Trying to decipher whose career will be better is very subjective. If Matthews finishes his career with over 600 goals, 1200 points and a couple Hart trophies, and Mackinnon has about 400 goals, 1000 points and a Cup, does that make Mackinnon's career better even though his statistics weren't as good? Or is Matthews' career better because he was the more productive player even if he doesn't win a Cup? Both teams are positioning themselves for a solid Cup contention window (I'd say Toronto is in there's now, Colorado will be once Byram is on the upswing) and have oodles of talent in the lineup. It's just too subjective to say who had a "better" career.
Aug. 21, 2019 at 1:56 p.m.
i hope ur hungry now
Quoting: krakowitz
Trying to decipher whose career will be better is very subjective. If Matthews finishes his career with over 600 goals, 1200 points and a couple Hart trophies, and Mackinnon has about 400 goals, 1000 points and a Cup, does that make Mackinnon's career better even though his statistics weren't as good? Or is Matthews' career better because he was the more productive player even if he doesn't win a Cup? Both teams are positioning themselves for a solid Cup contention window (I'd say Toronto is in there's now, Colorado will be once Byram is on the upswing) and have oodles of talent in the lineup. It's just too subjective to say who had a "better" career.

I think Colorado will be better than Toronto IMO
Aug. 21, 2019 at 2:17 p.m.
torontos finest
making the homer pick for matthews.
Aug. 21, 2019 at 2:23 p.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: krakowitz
So we know that you're NOT a Leafs fan. Gives us 30 other teams to try and figure out who you do root for

You're definitely getting warmer.
Aug. 21, 2019 at 2:25 p.m.
i hope ur hungry now
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
You're definitely getting warmer.

I don't think you root for the AVs because you didn't immediately say makinnon or

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit