SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

What every isles fan should want opening night to look like

Aug. 22, 2019 at 10:49 a.m.
Banned
Why does Leddy play 3rd pairing
Gofnut999 liked this.
Aug. 22, 2019 at 10:56 a.m.
I like where this team is going but my god, they have too many useless cap hits right now.
Aug. 22, 2019 at 10:58 a.m.
Only other thing I'd want to see is Leddy moved out and Aho given that 3rd LHD spot. Or maybe Boychuk (if he can play the left side) to tutor Dobson.
Aug. 22, 2019 at 11:14 a.m.
gregb569
Quoting: Csick123

Realistically all of these Dmen probably will average over 17+ mins a night, with Leddy being the most logical choice to man PP1, he'd probably be up at least to 20 mins a night.
To me, the Isles don't have a 1-2-3 line system on D right now... they have 3 extremely solid, balanced lines that like I said above^, will probably be rolled out quite evenly.
Aug. 22, 2019 at 11:23 a.m.
NYI
Komarov is going to play over Ho-Sang. The only true PKers we have are Cizikas and Clutterbuck. If we don't have Komarov our PK is going to be atrocious.

Quoting: F50marco
I like where this team is going but my god, they have too many useless cap hits right now.

I assume you're talking about Ladd, Boychuk, Komarov and Varlamov. Boychuk can still play. Komarov is a good PKer. Varlamov I think will be good this year with our goalie coaches. Ladd's contract is the only definite anchor.

Quoting: Hockeygoalie53
Only other thing I'd want to see is Leddy moved out and Aho given that 3rd LHD spot. Or maybe Boychuk (if he can play the left side) to tutor Dobson.

Boychuk definitely can't play the left side. I'd rather sign a veteran that Hickey can rotate with than have Aho up, but that's personal preference.
Aug. 22, 2019 at 11:25 a.m.
LEAFSandBRUINSfan

I tried explaining this to some fan the other day and apparently there all on value contracts
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 22, 2019 at 11:29 a.m.
Quoting: slapshot723
Komarov is going to play over Ho-Sang. The only true PKers we have are Cizikas and Clutterbuck. If we don't have Komarov our PK is going to be atrocious.

I assume you're talking about Ladd, Boychuk, Komarov and Varlamov. Boychuk can still play. Komarov is a good PKer. Varlamov I think will be good this year with our goalie coaches. Ladd's contract is the only definite anchor.

Boychuk definitely can't play the left side. I'd rather sign a veteran that Hickey can rotate with than have Aho up, but that's personal preference.

Komarov
Clutterbuck
Ladd
Boychuk
Martin

The isles could replace each one of those guys with a 950K UFA right now and have zero difference to the effectiveness of the lineup.
Isles777 liked this.
Aug. 22, 2019 at 11:35 a.m.
Islanders Fan
Quoting: Csick123

They roll pairings. Not your traditional TOI's. Pay no attention to the order
Csick123 and AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 22, 2019 at 11:35 a.m.
Isles7
Edited Aug. 22, 2019 at 11:40 a.m.
Komarov
Clutterbuck
Ladd
Boychuk
Martin

The isles could replace each one of those guys with a 950K UFA right now and have zero difference to the effectiveness of the lineup.

Agreed - I would keep the Martin-cizikas-clutterbuck line together but komarov is a liability 5 v 5. His pk abilities aren’t worth giving him a full time role. Hopefully Barry trotz ices the best roster with the personnel he has available to him.

Brock Nelson was a good pker for the islanders last season when he was needed. They can pair him with Michael dal colle (led the team in ca/60 (shots against per 60 min) for the 2nd pk unit. If Barry trotz chooses to play komarov on the 3rd line it’s likely to justify the contract Lou Lamoriello gave him and “great locker room presence” not because he’s the best option available
Aug. 22, 2019 at 12:02 p.m.

If Ho-Sang has a strong camp he will play over Komarov. Ho-Sang brings more offense to the team and that's what we need right now. Plus, those three aren't out only PKers... Nelson, Bailey, Cizikas, Clutter and even Barzal can play on the PK. Possibly, Beau and dal Colle as well. Other than contract, there is literally NO reason to play Komarov over Ho-Sang next season.

This is an accurate assessment of the contract situation. I'd move any of Boychuk, Ladd and Komarov in a heartbeat, but the only one that's truly an anchor is Ladd.

Trotz and Lou love Aho, plus the kid showed he can play at the NHL level when he was called up 2 seasons ago. He should have been on the team last year, but too many defenseman. If Lou can find a way to move Leddy, Aho will play over Hickey 10 out of 10 times.
Aug. 22, 2019 at 12:16 p.m.
NYI
Komarov
Clutterbuck
Ladd
Boychuk
Martin

Clutterbuck yeah isn't good. I just don't like to think of the fourth line guys as ineffective. They really are the best fourth line in hockey and bring so much of the energy that drives the Islanders' identity. He could be traded next year if a team wants him with a sweetener, but yes he's definitely overpaid.

Ladd is an anchor.

Like I said about Boychuk, he can still play. He can maybe last his whole contract. I'm not too worried about him.

Martin is a free agent. He's either gone or takes less money to stay.

Quoting: Hockeygoalie53
Trotz and Lou love Aho, plus the kid showed he can play at the NHL level when he was called up 2 seasons ago. He should have been on the team last year, but too many defenseman. If Lou can find a way to move Leddy, Aho will play over Hickey 10 out of 10 times.

Oh, I totally agree with this. I just would rather have Leddy now than Aho. If it does end up being the case where Leddy is traded and Aho gets the 6D spot, I'm totally okay with it. I would just rather have a veteran like Ben Hutton for one year. What would really be great is if Jake Gardiner signed for just one year, but I doubt that will happen.

Out of curiosity when did Lou and Trotz say anything about Aho?
Aug. 22, 2019 at 2:55 p.m.
Clutterbuck yeah isn't good. I just don't like to think of the fourth line guys as ineffective. They really are the best fourth line in hockey and bring so much of the energy that drives the Islanders' identity. He could be traded next year if a team wants him with a sweetener, but yes he's definitely overpaid.

Ladd is an anchor.

Like I said about Boychuk, he can still play. He can maybe last his whole contract. I'm not too worried about him.

Martin is a free agent. He's either gone or takes less money to stay.

Oh, I totally agree with this. I just would rather have Leddy now than Aho. If it does end up being the case where Leddy is traded and Aho gets the 6D spot, I'm totally okay with it. I would just rather have a veteran like Ben Hutton for one year. What would really be great is if Jake Gardiner signed for just one year, but I doubt that will happen.

Out of curiosity when did Lou and Trotz say anything about Aho?

I've seen it in reports from interviews they have done that both of them are very high on Aho and felt he had every right to make the team last year, but he and Toews were casualties of having so many good defensemen on the roster.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll