Forums/Armchair-GM

RHD options

Created by: TJTwolf
Team: 2019-20 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 23, 2019
Published: Aug. 23, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
IF Timmins needs a full year in the AHL, the only other right hander the Avs have is Meloche who may or may not be ready for a shot at the big time and if he's given a shot and fails then the Avs D is overbalanced on the left (and this is purely that I'm partial to left hand on the left and right on the right, though I realise the Avs certainly did ok with Blake and Foote). So a few potential cover options on the right. There are others such as Schenn, Ceci, Gudas if the Caps decided to flip him, and a lot of others but these just piqued my interest.
Trades
COL
  1. Gudbranson, Erik
Additional Details:
Big body, physical presence, half decent 3rd pair shut down option. Will fight if necessary. Good for exposure in the expansion draft.
PIT
COL
  1. Ristolainen, Rasmus
Additional Details:
A weird one and probably the most expensive on the list for all his faults. Is it just him, is it the team, is it the system? If he turns it around then he could end up being a bargain, if he carries on the same form then he could be very costly. Big gamble
BUF
COL
  1. Faulk, Justin
Additional Details:
A guy who seems to be continuously in trade rumours. Would have to waive the M-NTC, but a useful D for a one season shot.
CAR
COL
  1. Tanev, Christopher
Additional Details:
Would have to waive his M-NTC. Only a year left on his contract. Good shut down and cover option. Main weakness is that he seems to not be the most durable of D men but then maybe he and EJ could manage a full season between them. I believe he has a history of playing with Connauton so could be a good shut down pairing. Kudos to TylerStenson on spotting this one.
VAN
COL
  1. Bogosian, Zach
Additional Details:
Another guy rumoured to be on the block at the Sabres. Big veteran D with only a year left on his contract.
BUF
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
13$81,500,000$66,688,332$0$3,532,500$14,811,668
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$4,450,000$4,450,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$1,300,000$1,300,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$3,333,333$3,333,333
G
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RD
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
G
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
RFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$885,833$885,833 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$3,450,000$3,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,975,000$1,975,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,450,000$1,450,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 4
$1,375,000$1,375,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$6,300,000$6,300,000
C
UFA - 4
$5,571,429$5,571,429
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$735,000$735,000
LD
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
RW
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 23, 2019 at 3:33 a.m.
If the team needs another RHD why wouldn't have they just kept Barrie?
Aug. 23, 2019 at 4:05 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
You dont need one. You have deep D pool to choose from.
aedoran liked this.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 4:47 a.m.
Brodie and Jankowsi for Kadri sarcasm
Aug. 23, 2019 at 5:20 a.m.
Quoting: TheresAlwaysNextYear
If the team needs another RHD why wouldn't have they just kept Barrie?

Because they wanted to get something for him and Kadri, whilst not my first choice, fits the bill for a need at #2C and there would have been the question of paying Barrie the following year. This is assuming Timmins is in the AHL, and Meloche isn't ready yet, after that there is only Alt.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 5:21 a.m.
Quoting: SammyT_51

This is assuming Timmins is in the AHL, and Meloche isn't ready yet, after that there is only Alt. It's the premise that the Avs need a RHD for balance. The deep D pool is mostly lefties.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 5:23 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: TJTwolf
This is assuming Timmins is in the AHL, and Meloche isn't ready yet, after that there is only Alt. It's the premise that the Avs need a RHD for balance. The deep D pool is mostly lefties.

You can use leftie on right side without any problem. But Im sure there is gonna be a team that would trade you bottom pairing RHD for bottom pairing LHD whenever you ask.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 5:25 a.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Brodie and Jankowsi for Kadri sarcasm

They are unlikely to trade Kadri just after acquiring him. Most of the righties would be cheap options as they're pretty much only going to be third pairing and injury cover, where they wouldn't have to give up all that much to get them bar Ristolainen.
Eli liked this.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 5:28 a.m.
You can use leftie on right side without any problem. But Im sure there is gonna be a team that would trade you bottom pairing RHD for bottom pairing LHD whenever you ask.

It does say above that it's purely that I prefer the right on the right (in spite of the success of Blake and Foote when they played together) and the left on the left. Tanev is my favoured option with Connauton until Cole is back. it was a good idea by TylerStenson, though I thought his asking price was a little high.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 5:34 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
It does say above that it's purely that I prefer the right on the right (in spite of the success of Blake and Foote when they played together) and the left on the left. Tanev is my favoured option with Connauton until Cole is back. it was a good idea by TylerStenson, though I thought his asking price was a little high.

I know and I like it too, but Timmins isnt far off. Maybe half a season and he is ready?.. you dont need a big name.. if Liljegren is as successful as I think he will be, Id trade you Ceci for a pick or a guy like Barberio for bottom pairing role while Sandin is preparing. Ceci is servicable in limited role although he sucked at playing big minutes.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 5:46 a.m.
I know and I like it too, but Timmins isnt far off. Maybe half a season and he is ready?.. you dont need a big name.. if Liljegren is as successful as I think he will be, Id trade you Ceci for a pick or a guy like Barberio for bottom pairing role while Sandin is preparing. Ceci is servicable in limited role although he sucked at playing big minutes.

Absolutely, it's just cover really, someone you can rotate in and cover injuries. Who knows....Timmins may be ready sooner (though you'd still need RHD cover, or Meloche ready to step up, and Alt could also probably hold the fort as a 7th/8th D. A few options there already but really this was purely an idea to reinforce the right a little. Barberio is certainly the logical guy to try and move at the moment. Tanev I like the idea of with the Connauton pairing, those two filling in 5 & 6 until Cole comes back. If Timmins IS ready to come up, he can then join Cole on the third pairing, veteran to cover him, with Tanev & Connauton being able to rotate in to rest others and cover injuries if necessary (and we know EJ's record!!! though Tanev has never completed a full season, as I've said before, they might complete a full one between them!!) with a solid D talent wise and there have been rumours about the Canucks considering moving him I believe. It would also solidify a very young D.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 5:47 a.m.
They are unlikely to trade Kadri just after acquiring him. Most of the righties would be cheap options as they're pretty much only going to be third pairing and injury cover, where they wouldn't have to give up all that much to get them bar Ristolainen.

It was a joke since that was the trade Kadri nixed, there was probably a mid pick involved too
Eli liked this.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 5:48 a.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
It was a joke since that was the trade Kadri nixed, there was probably a mid pick involved too

Sorry, didn't register with me, a little insomnia at the moment lol. cool
Ledge_And_Dairy liked this.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 5:50 a.m.

Out of curiosity, if the Avs did go for Tanev, or maybe one of the others above, what would you consider the right value.....as you're a neutral, or at least should be lol.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 5:58 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Absolutely, it's just cover really, someone you can rotate in and cover injuries. Who knows....Timmins may be ready sooner (though you'd still need RHD cover, or Meloche ready to step up, and Alt could also probably hold the fort as a 7th/8th D. A few options there already but really this was purely an idea to reinforce the right a little. Barberio is certainly the logical guy to try and move at the moment. Tanev I like the idea of with the Connauton pairing, those two filling in 5 & 6 until Cole comes back. If Timmins IS ready to come up, he can then join Cole on the third pairing, veteran to cover him, with Tanev & Connauton being able to rotate in to rest others and cover injuries if necessary (and we know EJ's record!!! though Tanev has never completed a full season, as I've said before, they might complete a full one between them!!) with a solid D talent wise and there have been rumours about the Canucks considering moving him I believe. It would also solidify a very young D.

I think the best thing for Colorado would be to move Barberio or Connauton (Connauton sucks btw, so dont expect him to be any good) for another bottom pairing D (like Ceci) and have basically 8 player sure capital for defense. Basically if you moved Barberio for a guy like Ceci this is what you will get:

Girard-Johnson
Zadorov-Makar
Cole-Ceci/Timmins

Out of curiosity, if the Avs did go for Tanev, or maybe one of the others above, what would you consider the right value.....as you're a neutral, or at least should be lol.

I dont think Tanev is good choice for Colorado honestly. He is more of a top-4 guy still and defensive brickwall so I see more of a fit in Toronto for him. As for value.. his value is down but he has still big value for a team in need of defensive brickwall. I would say that 2nd rounder and prospect forward of lower value would be a good price for Tanev. But again, I dont think thats good for him to be on 3rd pairing. And he would consider it because of NMC on his contract.
TJTwolf liked this.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 6:04 a.m.
Sorry, didn't register with me, a little insomnia at the moment lol. cool

relatable
Aug. 23, 2019 at 6:16 a.m.
I think the best thing for Colorado would be to move Barberio or Connauton (Connauton sucks btw, so dont expect him to be any good) for another bottom pairing D (like Ceci) and have basically 8 player sure capital for defense. Basically if you moved Barberio for a guy like Ceci this is what you will get:

Girard-Johnson
Zadorov-Makar
Cole-Ceci/Timmins

I dont think Tanev is good choice for Colorado honestly. He is more of a top-4 guy still and defensive brickwall so I see more of a fit in Toronto for him. As for value.. his value is down but he has still big value for a team in need of defensive brickwall. I would say that 2nd rounder and prospect forward of lower value would be a good price for Tanev. But again, I dont think thats good for him to be on 3rd pairing. And he would consider it because of NMC on his contract.

I can see why Ceci might be a decent fit, though of course with the way Bednar juggles lines and pairings it would be no surprise to see Tanev further up if he thinks it will work. I agree he might not want it as he might see it as not a great move for himself, but the Avs are close to the competing window now, and guys like Tanev might think 'Hey! I want to be a part of that!' as well. He'd certainly help push them towards that. There are pros and cons in that but like you said, it relies on his M-NTC, but then would Colorado be in the 8 he wouldn't want to go to? I like the suggested price, it's somewhere around what TylerStenson had in his trade of Tanev, so people thinking similar values is always good. Tyler's was closer to yours. I had a 'B level' prospect and a conditional third becoming a second if he played more then 'x' number of games. Didn't want to influence you by telling you those so it's very interesting, the similarities.

The other move I like is a NYR cap dump of Namestnikov with Georgiev as compensation as a few Rangers fans have suggested they see Shesterkin as the future there. If Namestnikov really can play C as listed on here, a Russian line might work with Burakovsky and Nichushkin (or Kamenev in there).
Aug. 23, 2019 at 6:45 a.m.
Just go with

Zadorov, Girard, Makar, Connauton in the top4
Byram on LD and someone between Graves/Barberio/Rosen on RD

when Johnson and Cole are back, they're 5 regulars and if Byram stays keep him; if not one of the 4 other (Connauton, Graves, Rosen, Barberio)
Aug. 23, 2019 at 6:58 a.m.
gregb569
Take Gudbranson for a 4th or 5th and we'll call it a day
Aug. 23, 2019 at 7:18 a.m.
Who adds what?
Gudas seems like a right handed Zadorov. I'm pretty excited to see him play in Washington. I mean, if there's something like... Kaut and Connauton/Barberio for Gudas and Stephenson? They should do that. But most likely Gudas sticks around a little bit.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 7:56 a.m.

I agree people on this site get way to caught up with position listed on the roster. The place where it really matters in on the power playing since you have Makar and Johnson both right hand shots you will be fine.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 7:59 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: aedoran
I agree people on this site get way to caught up with position listed on the roster. The place where it really matters in on the power playing since you have Makar and Johnson both right hand shots you will be fine.

I mean it matters, but in their case it doesnt because timmins is really close to ready.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 8:23 a.m.
Biased Opinion
As a fan of a certain eastern conference team please don't trade for Gudbranson or Ristolainen. I would rather their defensive deficiencies stay in conference giving my team a greater competitive edge.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 9:04 a.m.
Quoting: bhavikp27
Just go with

Zadorov, Girard, Makar, Connauton in the top4
Byram on LD and someone between Graves/Barberio/Rosen on RD

when Johnson and Cole are back, they're 5 regulars and if Byram stays keep him; if not one of the 4 other (Connauton, Graves, Rosen, Barberio)

That's a pretty weak and inexperienced D to start the season with though.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 9:04 a.m.
Quoting: Barbs
As a fan of a certain eastern conference team please don't trade for Gudbranson or Ristolainen. I would rather their defensive deficiencies stay in conference giving my team a greater competitive edge.

squinty smile squinty smile squinty smile
Aug. 23, 2019 at 9:06 a.m.
Quoting: aedoran

Weird comment. In that case I'll play Grubauer LW, Landeskog in Goal, Kadri RD, Barberio at C.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll