UFA - 1
$3,875,000$3,875,000
LD
UFA - 4
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$737,500$737,500
LW
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 23, 2019 at 11:00 a.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
This whole, "Walk him to FA and he leaves" thing is such a narrow minded view and ignores a lot of trends in the league. Could these guys walk as FA's? Sure, but Crosby didn't walk when his contract came up and he could have gone to FA. Same with so many others, the only difference is these guys are hitting FA sooner, and in my opinion it has very little to do with wanting to go somewhere else. Its all about maximizing their potential earnings.

For a long time, top rookies were going from an ELC, to a 4-5 year bridge deal to "prove themselves" and then they'd get their big contract around the age of 28-29 before signing a huge contract with long term. Seeing how that really doesn't work is shifting the market. Edmonton started it by giving McDavid and Draisaitl huge contracts. While I was critical of the Draisaitl contract at the time, in hindsight its pretty great. These young players are making big bucks as they put out their best seasons. That is not at all a problem, its much better value for the contracts than the other model. With more and more of those older stars declining in their 30's, teams are going to be reluctant to give huge term and dollars to players who's best years are almost certainly behind them. So young players want to get paid now because its likely they won't get those big deals later on in the future.

If I was a GM and Hall was available next year and wanted to talk to me, I'd offer him no more than 3 years, or it would be a contract that had term but was way below market value. Why? Because the risk of a player like Hall declining in a massive way in his early 30's is extremely high.

So in the case or Marner, he wants a shorter deal because when he signs his next one he'll still be close to the top of the market, and then when that one runs out, he'll be nearing his decline years and can continue to do short deals to maximize earnings. It makes a tonne of sense and because of that, I don't put any stock into the whole going to FA to leave ideal that some hold on to on here.

We'll see. I just think things went sour with his negotiations and his relationship with Dubas and team could be tarnished as a result.
If the relationship can't be rebuilt or they can't get anywhere close to a deal, Dubas might not have a choice but to look at the trade market
blowing_the_zone liked this.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 11:07 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: BurgerBoss
Hall has had his number of injuries, which is why I think as a hockey player his prime has moved further by a couple of years. He's close to 30, and he plays the best game in his career. There's also other examples that shine even brighter after a little age - for example Kane had the best season of his career statistically last year and he turns 31 in November.

My guess is Hall can keep this level up until 34 - unless the injuries start getting worse.

Kane's career year deserves and * beside it. It came during a season where scoring went up by a pretty big jump. The last time there were this many 100 point players was a long time ago. So everyone was scoring more. Also in what world do injuries extend someones prime years? That doesn't make any sense at all. Wear and tear on the body is what shortens careers not lengthen them. Also you are doing exactly what pretty much everyone does all the time and never learns.

Yes players decline in their 30's but I think this guy will be different because of whatever reason. There are mountains of evidence that the game is trending younger and younger. We can predict with almost certainty that guys moving through their 30's are going to take a nose dive at some point. There are extremely few players who remain elite as they age. Hall with the style he plays and the injuries he's had is a huge risk to decline earlier than later.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 11:08 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: vic997
I'm not even a Leafs fans lol
I'm saying over 7-8 years, Hall could come in closer to 10-10.75m rather at 5-6 years he'd be closer to 12+m.
Because those last 2-3 years is where the decline will begin
All depends on when the Leafs want to extend him. On the open market, he'd get panarin money

I'd never give him more than 3 years term. Why? Because his decline will hit faster than most, too many past injuries and his physical style always shortens a career. He'll be like Perry.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 11:10 a.m.
Banned
We'll see. I just think things went sour with his negotiations and his relationship with Dubas and team could be tarnished as a result.
If the relationship can't be rebuilt or they can't get anywhere close to a deal, Dubas might not have a choice but to look at the trade market

I bet you Marner fires Ferris after this negotiation. The games he's played have done all the damage. Dubas has been forthright and supportive the whole way, Ferris has threatened, leaked info, stunted and all sorts of underhanded things. He's an idiot and if I was a player, I'd never consider him as an agent. The dude probably watches ballers all the time and thinks he's the Rock.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 11:16 a.m.
I bet you Marner fires Ferris after this negotiation. The games he's played have done all the damage. Dubas has been forthright and supportive the whole way, Ferris has threatened, leaked info, stunted and all sorts of underhanded things. He's an idiot and if I was a player, I'd never consider him as an agent. The dude probably watches ballers all the time and thinks he's the Rock.

''The dude probably watches ballers all the time and thinks he's the Rock.'' LMAOOOOO

I agree, this whole fiasco is stupid. Hopefully it's all resolved soon
Aug. 23, 2019 at 11:20 a.m.
arky
The problem I have with this deal, like last year with Nylander. Other teams are not going to pay premiums for another teams problem. People wanted Nylander moved last year and were asking for the moon. The problem was he was not their headache and they were not taking on a headache and paying thru the nose to do so.

Now Marner is clearly better than Nylander and deserves what he gets, but if I was a gm of another club and you wanted me to take on your problem, I am surely not going to be robbed also.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 11:26 a.m.
Banned
''The dude probably watches ballers all the time and thinks he's the Rock.'' LMAOOOOO

I agree, this whole fiasco is stupid. Hopefully it's all resolved soon

Dubas is waiting on everyone else which is brilliant. Ferris made this whole RFA off season about himself and how awesome he is at being awesome and then all the other RFA's said "well lets wait to see how Marner does, if he gets Matthews money I'll get more as well." Once that got out there Dubas did the best thing one could do. He released the deals he'd put forward already and is now sitting on them. Does anyone really think that all these guys are going to sit out training camp and the start of the season? Maybe 1 will but all of them? Come on thats nuts. Point and Rantanen are both going to sign before it comes to that and when they do, the market is solidified. If they get term, Ferris is done, he has no more negotiation power apart from convincing Marner to go after an OS to get more money at which time I doubt he'll want to and just take a fair deal with TO.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 11:42 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: mikearky
The problem I have with this deal, like last year with Nylander. Other teams are not going to pay premiums for another teams problem. People wanted Nylander moved last year and were asking for the moon. The problem was he was not their headache and they were not taking on a headache and paying thru the nose to do so.

Now Marner is clearly better than Nylander and deserves what he gets, but if I was a gm of another club and you wanted me to take on your problem, I am surely not going to be robbed also.

Getting an elite forward under the age of 23 isn't obtaining a problem, its obtaining a high valued asset. If there wasn't a salary cap there would be no problem but there is so you have to make sure your salary structure is sound and TO is just doing their due diligence. The media and fans are blowing it way out of proportion and once its all done, there is no hurt feelings or problems.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 11:55 a.m.
This whole, "Walk him to FA and he leaves" thing is such a narrow minded view and ignores a lot of trends in the league. Could these guys walk as FA's? Sure, but Crosby didn't walk when his contract came up and he could have gone to FA. Same with so many others, the only difference is these guys are hitting FA sooner, and in my opinion it has very little to do with wanting to go somewhere else. Its all about maximizing their potential earnings.

For a long time, top rookies were going from an ELC, to a 4-5 year bridge deal to "prove themselves" and then they'd get their big contract around the age of 28-29 before signing a huge contract with long term. Seeing how that really doesn't work is shifting the market. Edmonton started it by giving McDavid and Draisaitl huge contracts. While I was critical of the Draisaitl contract at the time, in hindsight its pretty great. These young players are making big bucks as they put out their best seasons. That is not at all a problem, its much better value for the contracts than the other model. With more and more of those older stars declining in their 30's, teams are going to be reluctant to give huge term and dollars to players who's best years are almost certainly behind them. So young players want to get paid now because its likely they won't get those big deals later on in the future.

If I was a GM and Hall was available next year and wanted to talk to me, I'd offer him no more than 3 years, or it would be a contract that had term but was way below market value. Why? Because the risk of a player like Hall declining in a massive way in his early 30's is extremely high.

So in the case or Marner, he wants a shorter deal because when he signs his next one he'll still be close to the top of the market, and then when that one runs out, he'll be nearing his decline years and can continue to do short deals to maximize earnings. It makes a tonne of sense and because of that, I don't put any stock into the whole going to FA to leave ideal that some hold on to on here.

I think there are a few things that you tend to overlook with this post, Logan

1) Crosby should never be compared to Marner under any circumstances. I know you're not comparing skill but rather rfa leading to ufa history. Keeping skill out of this, Crosby can only be described as a class act. Marner's approach to contracts so far? Not so much. He could very well be motivated to walk as a FA

2) There's a good chance that Marner and his camp could be a problem situation throughout his career. Headaches become unwelcome at a certain point.

3) As much as Dubas has leverage, and I think most of us think he's playing this well with all things considered, he doesn't have the power to make Mitch be reasonable and sign a decent deal that's still an overpay. At a certain point the leafs just might need to move on from this sideshow distraction. An ideal deal would see Dreger packaged with Marner if a trade needs to happen to resolve things...

4) This capfriendly stuff is fantasy based and just for fun. None of us can say what'll shake out in the future. All that said, Hall for Marner is good by me. And watching JT and Hall would be a ton of fun.
justaBoss liked this.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 11:57 a.m.

Marner firing Ferris would be in his best interest for his short/mid/long term career ambitions, imo.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 12:01 p.m.
Edited Aug. 23, 2019 at 12:12 p.m.
Getting an elite forward under the age of 23 isn't obtaining a problem, its obtaining a high valued asset. If there wasn't a salary cap there would be no problem but there is so you have to make sure your salary structure is sound and TO is just doing their due diligence. The media and fans are blowing it way out of proportion and once its all done, there is no hurt feelings or problems.

Hard to say really. Have you come across some of Paul Marner's interviews?

To Mikearkys point.. if there is anything to the whole apple and tree thing then it could very well be a problem.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 12:04 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: blowing_the_zone
I think there are a few things that you tend to overlook with this post, Logan

1) Crosby should never be compared to Marner under any circumstances. I know you're not comparing skill but rather rfa leading to ufa history. Keeping skill out of this, Crosby can only be described as a class act. Marner's approach to contracts so far? Not so much. He could very well be motivated to walk as a FA

2) There's a good chance that Marner and his camp could be a problem situation throughout his career. Headaches become unwelcome at a certain point.

3) As much as Dubas has leverage, and I think most of us think he's playing this well with all things considered, he doesn't have the power to make Mitch be reasonable and sign a decent deal that's still an overpay. At a certain point the leafs just might need to move on from this sideshow distraction. An ideal deal would see Dreger packaged with Marner if a trade needs to happen to resolve things...

4) This capfriendly stuff is fantasy based and just for fun. None of us can say what'll shake out in the future. All that said, Hall for Marner is good by me. And watching JT and Hall would be a ton of fun.

I am not overlooking anything, and I don't know if its fair to vilify Marner. He's always been a polite happy guy in interviews, has done a lot of charity work and has acted like a class act the whole time. What is happening is, his agent is making a spectacle of this for his own ego. He's an idiot and has a track record of stunting. If I was a GM, I'd not even want to deal with Ferris.

Moving forward, I do think this will be resolved in the next month and when it is over everyone will be either happy to concentrate the upcoming season or they'll be disappointed that nothing really happened from all this.

If Marner and Ferris continue to be a problem, trade him. He's a star player and he'll bring back a very good return. Its rather simple. All this hand wringing and stress that many are spewing out every day is just too much. Like all things in life, people are either overthinking stuff or they aren't thinking it through enough. Whats most likely to happen is the normal things that happen and that is boring and no one wants to accept that its probably going to happen here as well.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 12:06 p.m.
Banned
Hard to say really. I have you come across some of Paul Marner's interviews?

To Mikearkys point.. if there is anything to the whole apple and tree thing then it could very well be a problem.

I have heard zero interviews with Paul Marner apart from one where he was talking about Mitch struggling for a bit and went to a skills camp with his coach from his childhood and started having fun again. He sure came across as a good person in that interview.

Again though, if he's wanting too much, you trade him. He's a high value asset and you can move him for other pieces that will help the team win moving forward.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 12:07 p.m.
Banned
Marner firing Ferris would be in his best interest for his short/mid/long term career ambitions, imo.

For sure! It'll also really damage Ferris's reputation and hopefully put an end to any Baller who wants to do the nonsense he does.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 12:09 p.m.
I am not overlooking anything, and I don't know if its fair to vilify Marner. He's always been a polite happy guy in interviews, has done a lot of charity work and has acted like a class act the whole time. What is happening is, his agent is making a spectacle of this for his own ego. He's an idiot and has a track record of stunting. If I was a GM, I'd not even want to deal with Ferris.

Moving forward, I do think this will be resolved in the next month and when it is over everyone will be either happy to concentrate the upcoming season or they'll be disappointed that nothing really happened from all this.

If Marner and Ferris continue to be a problem, trade him. He's a star player and he'll bring back a very good return. Its rather simple. All this hand wringing and stress that many are spewing out every day is just too much. Like all things in life, people are either overthinking stuff or they aren't thinking it through enough. Whats most likely to happen is the normal things that happen and that is boring and no one wants to accept that its probably going to happen here as well.

Well, Ferris does work for Mitch.. so at a certain point he holds some accountability for what's done in his name.

As for people over reacting or overthinking things. Maybe. Or there's a good chance that most people recognize they have no bearing on any of this and they're having some fun with the absurdity of it all...
Aug. 23, 2019 at 12:11 p.m.
I have heard zero interviews with Paul Marner apart from one where he was talking about Mitch struggling for a bit and went to a skills camp with his coach from his childhood and started having fun again. He sure came across as a good person in that interview.

Again though, if he's wanting too much, you trade him. He's a high value asset and you can move him for other pieces that will help the team win moving forward.

Oh, well you're missing half the fun with all this then. Have a go at searching up some of Paul's greatest hits. It's some fascinating stuff..
Aug. 23, 2019 at 12:15 p.m.
Banned
Well, Ferris does work for Mitch.. so at a certain point he holds some accountability for what's done in his name.

As for people over reacting or overthinking things. Maybe. Or there's a good chance that most people recognize they have no bearing on any of this and they're having some fun with the absurdity of it all...

I think players are often told by agents and family that "let them do this work, its why we pay them, trust the process". Marner needs to start taking more ownership in this process, otherwise he can have his whole career damaged by a terrible agent.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 12:21 p.m.
What in tarnation
Kane's career year deserves and * beside it. It came during a season where scoring went up by a pretty big jump. The last time there were this many 100 point players was a long time ago. So everyone was scoring more. Also in what world do injuries extend someones prime years? That doesn't make any sense at all. Wear and tear on the body is what shortens careers not lengthen them. Also you are doing exactly what pretty much everyone does all the time and never learns.

Yes players decline in their 30's but I think this guy will be different because of whatever reason. There are mountains of evidence that the game is trending younger and younger. We can predict with almost certainty that guys moving through their 30's are going to take a nose dive at some point. There are extremely few players who remain elite as they age. Hall with the style he plays and the injuries he's had is a huge risk to decline earlier than later.

Injuries don't, but the experience does. He gains the experience a little later if he has had injuries in the past.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 12:23 p.m.
Banned
Hall wants closer to the Panarin deal, No way in hell he signing for less then $10 million per with the Leafs.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 12:29 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BurgerBoss
Injuries don't, but the experience does. He gains the experience a little later if he has had injuries in the past.

I don't even know how to respond to that.

A persons body breaks down after repeated injuries. As he moves past 30, he is going to be sore longer, hurt more, ache more. All of that has nothing to do with experience and experience doesn't help the body heal faster. What are we even talking about now?

The point is, Hall's style of play is a burn bright and fast style of player. That's hard on the body and he's already had big injuries. Those are going to be more frequent and troublesome as he ages. Its science man, people get older with time and time waits for no one.
Aug. 23, 2019 at 1:11 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
If I the Leafs, I'd rather just take the four first rounders the cap space for Marner. Could use that cap space better than Hall long term. Yea not having Hall or Marner wouldn't help the Leafs this year, but long term much better off. Leafs can decide next season how to spend the 10.5m that have allotted for Marner and then have the draft picks.
Aug. 24, 2019 at 9:37 a.m.
Banned
Oh, well you're missing half the fun with all this then. Have a go at searching up some of Paul's greatest hits. It's some fascinating stuff..

He is a way bigger problem than I thought, I figured many were just blowing it out of proportion. I read the one where Paul was offended because Marner wasn't mentioned as a possible captain. Oh come on man, let the kid make his own way and let it go.

Speaking of captain, there is only one correct choice in my eyes and it's Rielly.
blowing_the_zone liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll