SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Tell me an NHL opinion that most people will disagree with

Aug. 24, 2019 at 10:41 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Any NHL opinion that most people will disagree with. It can be something that happened in the past, an opinion on a player, a prediction, or anything.

For me, i'll say this: it wasn't in (2004).
Aug. 26, 2019 at 10:29 a.m.
Below Market Value
When he was healthy, Rick DiPietro was never that good of a goalie. He had one really good year and then the rest were all average to below average to poor.

He just gets talked up because he was a 1st overall pick.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Aug. 26, 2019 at 10:59 a.m.
Risto is a good player
Aug. 26, 2019 at 11:35 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: wojme
Risto is a good player

Most people think he's good, right?
wojme liked this.
Aug. 26, 2019 at 11:36 a.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Most people think he's good, right?

Very unsure, let me check any armchair gm post to see if I can figure it out.......
Aug. 26, 2019 at 11:40 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Here's one that i hope people will agree with ... if not, i don't know what to say.

nhl.com's list of the top 10 goalies is way off.

I hope everyone agrees.
Aug. 26, 2019 at 1:00 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
Here's one that i hope people will agree with ... if not, i don't know what to say.

nhl.com's list of the top 10 goalies is way off.

I hope everyone agrees.
but this is true of, like, every list NHL.com puts out. pretty bland take.
Aug. 26, 2019 at 1:04 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Mike Babcock is a good NHL coach.
Aug. 26, 2019 at 3:56 p.m.
Quoting: palhal

Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
When he was healthy, Rick DiPietro was never that good of a goalie. He had one really good year and then the rest were all average to below average to poor.

I agree on both of these topics lol.
Mine is bruins wont win the cup with tuukka rask as the starting goaltender.
Aug. 26, 2019 at 5:37 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: hanson493
I agree on both of these topics lol.
Mine is bruins wont win the cup with tuukka rask as the starting goaltender.
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast

I know it's not quite the same comparison but on this site, the Oilers Puljujarvi gets a lot of love, especially in trade value. Folks seems to value his 3rd overall pick status three years ago instead of OK AHL career and that fact he can't cement a winger position on a poor team.
Aug. 26, 2019 at 5:56 p.m.
Here's a few:

1. Pekka Rinne is NOT a top 10 Goalie (I believe NHL Network just ranked #8). He might not even be the best Goalie on his team as Saros continues to develop into a #1.

2. NJD are better off long term if the trade Taylor Hall before the 2020 Trade Deadline (I am one of the few, if any, NJD fans who believe this option should be explored, especially if Hall gets injured again next season). I will elaborate on this topic at some point down the road.

3. The Leafs DO NOT have a roster built for playoff success. They lack the offensive and defensive balance and depth of PIT, WASH, CHI, and STL. They also lack the physicality of most Cup champs in recent memory. The Leafs are way too top heavy and lack the ability to win low scoring playoff games, which is essential in the postseason.
Aug. 26, 2019 at 5:57 p.m.

I think most people would call Babcock a great coach. I happen to agree that he's very overrated.
Aug. 26, 2019 at 6:00 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Edited Aug. 26, 2019 at 6:06 p.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
I think most people would call Babcock a great coach. I happen to agree that he's very overrated.

He's a terrible game manager. He's stuck in his line changes which he isn't that good at, and his players are racing to the bench instead of playing the puck.
I joke, maybe let him "coach" during practice, but keep out of the arena on game night.
Brian2016 and GenXHockey liked this.
Aug. 26, 2019 at 6:03 p.m.
Here's one more: Mitch Marner is NOT being OVERVALUED by everyone not names Mitch Marner and his agent. Matthews and Tavares are Centers, but Marner is the Leafs #1 playmaker. He's the engine offensively. He's also solid on the PK. as a UFA he'd easily bring north of $10M and possibly $11M. At the end of the day Dubas gave in and overpaid for Nylander. But, that fact should have no bearing on Marner's value.
palhal and Bolts95 liked this.
Aug. 26, 2019 at 6:21 p.m.
torontos finest
the nhl is going to start retracting in 10 years. hockey is a very expensive sport that requires a lot of conditions which aren't present in other sports (basketball, soccer) and doesn't have major mainstream appeal. it's not going to completely die out, but we won't see 32 teams for long.
Aug. 26, 2019 at 6:27 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
the nhl is going to start retracting in 10 years. hockey is a very expensive sport that requires a lot of conditions which aren't present in other sports (basketball, soccer) and doesn't have major mainstream appeal. it's not going to completely die out, but we won't see 32 teams for long.

A lot could depend on whether or not the NHL is successful at growing the game in China. There's huge potential for huge market share and fan base in China. We'll learn a lot more during the 2022 Olympics in Beijing (assuming NHL players participate).
Aug. 26, 2019 at 9:36 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

That's bold
Aug. 26, 2019 at 9:37 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Here's a few:

1. Pekka Rinne is NOT a top 10 Goalie (I believe NHL Network just ranked #8). He might not even be the best Goalie on his team as Saros continues to develop into a #1.

2. NJD are better off long term if the trade Taylor Hall before the 2020 Trade Deadline (I am one of the few, if any, NJD fans who believe this option should be explored, especially if Hall gets injured again next season). I will elaborate on this topic at some point down the road.

3. The Leafs DO NOT have a roster built for playoff success. They lack the offensive and defensive balance and depth of PIT, WASH, CHI, and STL. They also lack the physicality of most Cup champs in recent memory. The Leafs are way too top heavy and lack the ability to win low scoring playoff games, which is essential in the postseason.

Do most people really think Rinne is a top 10 goalie?
Aug. 26, 2019 at 9:37 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Here's one more: Mitch Marner is NOT being OVERVALUED by everyone not names Mitch Marner and his agent. Matthews and Tavares are Centers, but Marner is the Leafs #1 playmaker. He's the engine offensively. He's also solid on the PK. as a UFA he'd easily bring north of $10M and possibly $11M. At the end of the day Dubas gave in and overpaid for Nylander. But, that fact should have no bearing on Marner's value.

I think most people would say he's not being overvalued by that person lol.
Aug. 26, 2019 at 9:38 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I know it's not quite the same comparison but on this site, the Oilers Puljujarvi gets a lot of love, especially in trade value. Folks seems to value his 3rd overall pick status three years ago instead of OK AHL career and that fact he can't cement a winger position on a poor team.

People don't value him as a 3rd overall pick, do they? He was 4th overall anyway ... they don't even value him like a 4th overall pick.
Aug. 26, 2019 at 10:21 p.m.
torontos finest
A lot could depend on whether or not the NHL is successful at growing the game in China. There's huge potential for huge market share and fan base in China. We'll learn a lot more during the 2022 Olympics in Beijing (assuming NHL players participate).

i don't think chinese interest in the nhl will go very far especially if western-sino relations get even more tense. whats stopping them from commissioning their own hockey league in the future?
Aug. 27, 2019 at 12:00 a.m.
Sensible Commentary
i don't think chinese interest in the nhl will go very far especially if western-sino relations get even more tense. whats stopping them from commissioning their own hockey league in the future?
"whats stopping them from commissioning their own hockey league in the future?" nobody in China really having all that much interest at the moment. but that's kind of what the KHL's doing at the moment with Kunlun Red Star, getting people interested in hockey. it would help if the team weren't playing games at a rinky-dink ice rink in Shanghai, as opposed to their home arena in Beijing, but they're working on that.

and, if there's anything that'll make the NHL-o-saurus wake up and smell the coffee, it's the KHL beating them to success with ice hockey in China. China's the wild west of sports: bunch of fans, very little penetration from outside sports leagues.
Brian2016 liked this.
Aug. 27, 2019 at 7:29 a.m.
I think most people would say he's not being overvalued by that person lol.

Who else in TOR thinks Marner is worth more than Tavares and as much as Matthews?
Aug. 27, 2019 at 7:30 a.m.
Do most people really think Rinne is a top 10 goalie?

He won the Vezina 14 months ago.
Aug. 27, 2019 at 9:53 a.m.
Here's a few:

1. rinne is probably not top 10 anymore but a couple years ago he was for sure top 10.
2. i agree if NJ cant resign hall you have to trade him.
3. I also agree in thinking Toronto isnt built for postseason success.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll