Tell me an NHL opinion that most people will disagree with

Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:59 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: hanson493
never said that.

But players choose to play hockey
Aug. 28, 2019 at 4:04 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Why not just remove the "questionable hits"?

because youll always have a steve ott out there that goes for a questionable hit. Then you also have to distinguish in REAL TIME what the threshold is for these hits and what is and what isnt a questionable hit. just leave the game alone and let players police it.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 4:05 p.m.
But players choose to play hockey

raif you are reaching to get your post totals up with this mate. fighting and dirty hits are completely separate issues.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 4:06 p.m.
They don't play together anyway lol

pp? could have secondary assists, or could overlap on shifts?
Aug. 28, 2019 at 4:10 p.m.
They don't play together anyway lol

If you don't think Matthews being in the lineup would have changed the defensive matchups Marner got, and therefore have potentially made a difference in his production in the games Matthews missed, I question your knowledge of the game.
hanson493 liked this.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 4:31 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
because youll always have a steve ott out there that goes for a questionable hit. Then you also have to distinguish in REAL TIME what the threshold is for these hits and what is and what isnt a questionable hit. just leave the game alone and let players police it.

But they can change the rules.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 4:32 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
raif you are reaching to get your post totals up with this mate. fighting and dirty hits are completely separate issues.

I'm not doing it to get my post totals up, i'm just saying that the players could choose to play a game without hits to the head and fighting if the NHL made rule-changes.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 4:33 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
pp? could have secondary assists, or could overlap on shifts?

I thought of the power play. Good point. I don't think it would make a huge difference though.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 4:34 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: J2W
If you don't think Matthews being in the lineup would have changed the defensive matchups Marner got, and therefore have potentially made a difference in his production in the games Matthews missed, I question your knowledge of the game.

Good point. Didn't think of that.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 4:34 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
However, Matthews is a better two-way player in my opinion and also a better goal scorer.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 4:37 p.m.
But they can change the rules.

you can change the rules but thats not going to take the bad hits out of the game.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 4:38 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
you can change the rules but thats not going to take the bad hits out of the game.

It can.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 4:40 p.m.
I'm not doing it to get my post totals up, i'm just saying that the players could choose to play a game without hits to the head and fighting if the NHL made rule-changes.

Im telling you it would still be in the game regardless of if they put rules in. Someone with a hot head (crosby/malkin swinging their stick at peoples heads) (kadri going full shoulder in debrusks head). There are already rules in place to keep this from happening and IT STILL HAPPENS. You can clean it up all you want, enforce rules, put stricter ones in place but its not going to take it out of the game. what happens when you have a clean hit and a guy gets a concussion from smashing his head off the ice? get rid of the ice and play sand hockey?
Aug. 28, 2019 at 4:43 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Im telling you it would still be in the game regardless of if they put rules in. Someone with a hot head (crosby/malkin swinging their stick at peoples heads) (kadri going full shoulder in debrusks head). There are already rules in place to keep this from happening and IT STILL HAPPENS. You can clean it up all you want, enforce rules, put stricter ones in place but its not going to take it out of the game. what happens when you have a clean hit and a guy gets a concussion from smashing his head off the ice? get rid of the ice and play sand hockey?

Hits to the head should be 15-20 game suspensions ... fighting should be a suspension, not a 5-minute penalty. It is easy to not do what Kadri did, and i never said high-sticking is a problem. If you mean going after them with sticks to the head, then that should be removed.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 4:47 p.m.
Hits to the head should be 15-20 game suspensions ... fighting should be a suspension, not a 5-minute penalty. It is easy to not do what Kadri did, and i never said high-sticking is a problem. If you mean going after them with sticks to the head, then that should be removed.

So let me paint this picture: we have already disagreed on the krug hit whether thats a head shot or not. PLENTY of people have chosen both sides. how as an official do you judge that? especially in a playoff game during a contact sport. are you instilling different degrees of a head shot? minor contact 5 games. major contact 20? They should just do it where the guy that throws the headshot sits as long as the other guy does and the other guy gets evaluated by a third party non team doctor for when he gets cleared to resume contact.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 4:57 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
So let me paint this picture: we have already disagreed on the krug hit whether thats a head shot or not. PLENTY of people have chosen both sides. how as an official do you judge that? especially in a playoff game during a contact sport. are you instilling different degrees of a head shot? minor contact 5 games. major contact 20? They should just do it where the guy that throws the headshot sits as long as the other guy does and the other guy gets evaluated by a third party non team doctor for when he gets cleared to resume contact.

In the playoffs i wouldn't give out a 15 game suspension for a hit to the head (unless it's someone who has done it over and over and over again like Wilson), but that's not because it should be allowed in the playoffs. It shouldn't. it's because those games are even more meaningful and bigger.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 5:51 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
because matthews has played 29 less games... if in those 29 games he didnt score in 19 of them. they have the exact same ppg. cool he can score more. someones gotta distribute the puck and set up the goal scorer. sorry but they are def closer than you think they are and marner should get paid as such. if matthews was paid at 8 and tavares was at 11. marner wouldnt be worth more than 8.

Matthews does set people up... in far better fashion sometimes... (see Matthews to Komorav). They certainly are not any closer. Matthews leads marner in nearly every stat and plays a more important position. One is a goal scoring franchise centre the other is a great winger.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 6:14 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Jamiepo
Matthews does set people up... in far better fashion sometimes... (see Matthews to Komorav). They certainly are not any closer. Matthews leads marner in nearly every stat and plays a more important position. One is a goal scoring franchise centre the other is a great winger.

Agreed. Also, Marner should sign a deal that works for the Leafs ... he'll make more than enough money anyway.
GenXHockey liked this.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 6:32 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Agreed. Also, Marner should sign a deal that works for the Leafs ... he'll make more than enough money anyway.

He was one of the most marketable leafs, seems to be pissing that away right now.

I think a fair deal for him with the Aho signing should be no more than 9m x 6. I’m okay with overpaying him a bit. 9.5- 10m x 6 or 10-10.5m x 7 or 8. He knows the leafs situation and he must know his true value. I put most of the blame in his father and agent. Good advice seems to be hard to find.
palhal and rangersandislesfan liked this.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 6:49 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
He was one of the most marketable leafs, seems to be pissing that away right now.

I think a fair deal for him with the Aho signing should be no more than 9m x 6. I’m okay with overpaying him a bit. 9.5- 10m x 6 or 10-10.5m x 7 or 8. He knows the leafs situation and he must know his true value. I put most of the blame in his father and agent. Good advice seems to be hard to find.

Agree with you Jamie. But let's imagine Marner "doesn't care about the Leafs (cap) situation". I'm OK with that. Still he has no reason to think he entitled to a hometown premium, despite the fact that Nylander and Matthews got one. He's not taking money out of the pockets of MLSE, but the bottom end players....but if he's OK with that, I understand that too.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 7:20 p.m.
My Balls Itch
price and bishop are the top 2 goalies in the league
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 11:44 p.m.
Would you consider Werenski a #1 d-man? I would, but it sounds like you wouldn't. Jones is without-a-doubt top 10 in my opinion, and i'd put him top 5.

Werenski is def. a top pair D, but he's not elite. Seth Jones is elite. Werenski is a little shaky in his own zone sometimes. He's more of a Brent Burns type D. He plays deep in the offensive zone and always jumps up into the rush. I really like him as a player, but he's not a 2-way D.
DoctorBreakfast liked this.
Aug. 29, 2019 at 12:16 a.m.
Quoting: DeadGuy63
price and bishop are the top 2 goalies in the league

When healthy. :-)
Aug. 29, 2019 at 8:39 a.m.

except that marner has led the team in points the last 2 years. so not every stat. Matthews scores more goals. marner has far more assists. comparing two different player types. im just saying you gave one gave 11.6m the other guy isnt unreasonable to ask for 11.6m as well... marner is just as important to that team and i hope he sits out so everyone can see that.
Brian2016 liked this.
Aug. 29, 2019 at 8:46 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
except that marner has led the team in points the last 2 years. so not every stat. Matthews scores more goals. marner has far more assists. comparing two different player types. im just saying you gave one gave 11.6m the other guy isnt unreasonable to ask for 11.6m as well... marner is just as important to that team and i hope he sits out so everyone can see that.

Matthews has a better points per game ... i know you said they'd be even if he had been healthy in those games, and you made some good points, but remember that Marner's ice time could go down. I value goals higher than assists and Matthews is a better 2-way player.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll