Forums/Armchair-GM

not really that big of a cap crunch

Created by: Logan572
Team: 2020-21 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 24, 2019
Published: Aug. 24, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Use the remaining cap for some depth if you want. Realize guys you cant just be cranking out teams with $25,000 in cap.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$8,000,000
4$6,000,000
2$925,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$7,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Mitchell, Ian
3$925,000
Barratt, Evan
3$925,000
Trades
CHI
    Literally anyone
    Solid defenseman with 2 years left
    Expensive 4th liner with one year left
    I don't think trading these guys is gonna be too hard to do
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    20$84,000,000$72,673,598$1,090,244$4,365,000$11,326,402

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $2,625,000$2,625,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    LW, C, RW
    RFA - 2
    $10,500,000$10,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
    C, RW
    RFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RW, LW
    RFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $811,667$811,667 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    LW, C
    RFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,550,000$4,550,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    G
    UFA - 5
    $5,538,462$5,538,462
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    Mitchell, Ian
    $925,000$925,000
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $3,333,225$3,333,225
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $6,875,000$6,875,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Aug. 24, 2019 at 5:04 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    Keeping Lehner over Gustafsson, sight unseen? Must be a little bit of a cap crunch.
    Logan572 liked this.
    Aug. 24, 2019 at 5:08 p.m.
    Don't think it will be that easy to trade Smith. Also, teams usually need at least 2 depth guys, you can't just ignore their cap hit, even if it is negligible.
    Logan572 liked this.
    Aug. 24, 2019 at 5:19 p.m.
    Quoting: Petrock83
    Don't think it will be that easy to trade Smith. Also, teams usually need at least 2 depth guys, you can't just ignore their cap hit, even if it is negligible.

I left that up to y'all bc I don't know who to get or bring up. I think some team is gonna be slightly interested in Smith with one year. Like he seems like the most movable contract, and I mean i guess we can give up a pick as well or something
    Aug. 24, 2019 at 5:22 p.m.
    Quoting: lwarren55
    I left that up to y'all bc I don't know who to get or bring up

Either way, I'm just saying that when you factor in the cap hits of depth guys and the likely necessary buyout of Smith (since no one will give up any assets for him unless more cap hit is coming back to us), the cap crunch is real. Not as bad as many other teams, but still there.
    exo2769 liked this.
    Aug. 24, 2019 at 5:23 p.m.
    Quoting: Eli
    Keeping Lehner over Gustafsson, sight unseen? Must be a little bit of a cap crunch.

I think Gustafsson is probably gonna be traded at the deadline. If Lehner is anywhere close to where he was last year, he is easily way more valuable. Also with Boqvist and maybe even Mitchell or Beaudin coming in, it just doesn't make sense to keep Gustafsson. Sorry man I like Gus too
    Aug. 24, 2019 at 5:27 p.m.
    Either way, I'm just saying that when you factor in the cap hits of depth guys and the likely necessary buyout of Smith (since no one will give up any assets for him unless more cap hit is coming back to us), the cap crunch is real. Not as bad as many other teams, but still there.

If smith stays healthy or at least solidifies himself as a starter he'll have some interest. Even if it means giving up a pick to do so. I believe that would be better than buying him out. Depth guys shouldn't be over a mil each man. We also have Quenvelle and Dahlstrom who are under a mil each
    Petrock83 liked this.
    Aug. 24, 2019 at 5:33 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    Quoting: lwarren55
    I think Gustafsson is probably gonna be traded at the deadline. If Lehner is anywhere close to where he was last year, he is easily way more valuable. Also with Boqvist and maybe even Mitchell or Beaudin coming in, it just doesn't make sense to keep Gustafsson. Sorry man I like Gus too

I remember fans saying that about Lehner before. I think they were Buffalo fans. Good luck!
    Aug. 24, 2019 at 5:41 p.m.
    Quoting: Eli
    I remember fans saying that about Lehner before. I think they were Buffalo fans. Good luck![/quote

Damn you really got me there! Lemme just uhhhh... sign Gus to an already over-crowded blue line, and I mean.. I guess Delia can be our long term solution?... Does that look better to you???
    Eli liked this.
    Aug. 24, 2019 at 6:18 p.m.
    exo2769

It's real, but there are more outs this time around. I can think of 3-4 different things that could (or couldn't) happen and then even a few rip cord options off the top of by head A.) Compliance buyouts? B.) Expansion trade? C.) Straight up trade with EITHER salary Smith/Murphy, or more talented guys, but as you guys suggest this may not be that easy. D.) Buyout Maatta..that saves $3.4M a year. E.) My least favorite...trade Saad.
    NickC1988 liked this.
    Aug. 24, 2019 at 6:30 p.m.
    Chicago
    I just don't think Lehner or Crow come back after this season. Delia is close, and Lankinen looked good as well. Save yourself 7 million there, keep Murphy, move Maatta.
    Aug. 24, 2019 at 6:41 p.m.
    Quoting: NickC1988
    I just don't think Lehner or Crow come back after this season. Delia is close, and Lankinen looked good as well. Save yourself 7 million there, keep Murphy, move Maatta.

Maata hasn't played a game yet so why would i move him? Delia is close to being a backup, but a starter!? Lankinen looked good playing for Finland, but lets see what he can do with another season in the AHL. At least with Lehner he has a chance to maybe recreate what he did last season, but getting rid of him and relying on Delia and Lankinen is a fat question mark, and is too early to tell.
    Aug. 24, 2019 at 6:44 p.m.
    Chicago
    Quoting: Logan572
    Maata hasn't played a game yet so why would i move him? Delia is close to being a backup, but a starter!? Lankinen looked good playing for Finland, but lets see what he can do with another season in the AHL. At least with Lehner he has a chance to maybe recreate what he did last season, but getting rid of him and relying on Delia and Lankinen is a fat question mark, and is too early to tell.

Too early to tell, sure. But I do think that's what Bowman and Co. are hoping for. It's going to be interesting to see if they sell or try to contend.
    Aug. 24, 2019 at 7:59 p.m.

Gus won't be traded if the Hawks are in a playoff spot if Gus performs like he did last year or better...too important of a piece to just trade.
    Aug. 24, 2019 at 8:02 p.m.
    Move Maatta or Murphy....depending on play this year.

Move Saad next offseason and sign Gus if he plays like he did last season or better this season. Sure, Boqvist is coming up in 2020/2021 but have 2 puck moving defensemen would be a 1, 2 punch on the PP...pair them up each with a stay at home guy.

Saad can be replaced as we have so many forward prospects to play middle 6 roles. Kurashev, Entwhistle, Sarella, Kubalik, Nylander, Perlini, Sikura, etc. We can afford to move Saad if any of these guys shows well this season in the NHL or AHL.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1397476
    Aug. 25, 2019 at 1:47 a.m.
    Quoting: ChiHawk
    Move Maatta or Murphy....depending on play this year.

Move Saad next offseason and sign Gus if he plays like he did last season or better this season. Sure, Boqvist is coming up in 2020/2021 but have 2 puck moving defensemen would be a 1, 2 punch on the PP...pair them up each with a stay at home guy.

Saad can be replaced as we have so many forward prospects to play middle 6 roles. Kurashev, Entwhistle, Sarella, Kubalik, Nylander, Perlini, Sikura, etc. We can afford to move Saad if any of these guys shows well this season in the NHL or AHL.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1397476

I like your idea about Saad and Gustafsson, and two good puck moving defensemen would be great. It's just that are we really gonna sign Gustafsson when we have Mitchell and Beaudin in the system? It just wouldn't make sense to give him an extension.
    Aug. 25, 2019 at 12:43 p.m.
    I like your idea about Saad and Gustafsson, and two good puck moving defensemen would be great. It's just that are we really gonna sign Gustafsson when we have Mitchell and Beaudin in the system? It just wouldn't make sense to give him an extension.

Depends. It's really hard to assume Mitchell or Beaudin will be able to fill Gus's shoes or Boqvist even for that matter. 60 point D guys don't grow on trees. Additionally, Mitchell and Beaudin are far from being locks to make the roster next season. Remember, on average most higher end D prospects don't come into the league until they are in their early 20's....D guys take longer to develop. It's rare to see a player make the fulltime roster at 21 or under.
    Aug. 25, 2019 at 3:04 p.m.
    Depends. It's really hard to assume Mitchell or Beaudin will be able to fill Gus's shoes or Boqvist even for that matter. 60 point D guys don't grow on trees. Additionally, Mitchell and Beaudin are far from being locks to make the roster next season. Remember, on average most higher end D prospects don't come into the league until they are in their early 20's....D guys take longer to develop. It's rare to see a player make the fulltime roster at 21 or under.

Your missing the point. Yeah maybe they aren't ready next year, but you still wouldn't want to lock up Gus bc you are hoping that Mitchell and Beaudin reach that level. Both of whom are succeeding and growing at their own levels. Mitchell is also probably gonna be thrown into the mix this season anyway once he's done at Denver, and Beaudin will be playing with Rockford.

Lets say the Gus is still doing great on PP and scoring a ton of points. He's probably gonna want big money and a big term. Which wouldn't make sense for the hawks to do. Especially with Boqvist and Co. Now if Gus was able to play some defense and even show some work on pk, then yeah, go and resign him, and trade Saad. I just don't see that happening. We also don't know if Gustafsson is gonna put up those same numbers as he did last year.
    Aug. 25, 2019 at 5:05 p.m.
    Your missing the point. Yeah maybe they aren't ready next year, but you still wouldn't want to lock up Gus bc you are hoping that Mitchell and Beaudin reach that level. Both of whom are succeeding and growing at their own levels. Mitchell is also probably gonna be thrown into the mix this season anyway once he's done at Denver, and Beaudin will be playing with Rockford.

Lets say the Gus is still doing great on PP and scoring a ton of points. He's probably gonna want big money and a big term. Which wouldn't make sense for the hawks to do. Especially with Boqvist and Co. Now if Gus was able to play some defense and even show some work on pk, then yeah, go and resign him, and trade Saad. I just don't see that happening. We also don't know if Gustafsson is gonna put up those same numbers as he did last year.

So you're questioning whether Gus is going to play defense or match his numbers from last year offensively but you're okay assuming Mitchell and Beaudin, who've never played in the NHL, are just going to step in; your argument makes no sense. No coach trades a player assuming a kid in college can take his place...doesn't work like that. They first see how the kid plays at the pro level before they trade a solid roster player. Under your logic we should also trade Debrincat at the TDL or Strome because Kurashev and Dach should be able to take their place in a year....you literally are saying that about Gus and makes no sense.
    Aug. 25, 2019 at 5:49 p.m.
    So you're questioning whether Gus is going to play defense or match his numbers from last year offensively but you're okay assuming Mitchell and Beaudin, who've never played in the NHL, are just going to step in; your argument makes no sense. No coach trades a player assuming a kid in college can take his place...doesn't work like that. They first see how the kid plays at the pro level before they trade a solid roster player. Under your logic we should also trade Debrincat at the TDL or Strome because Kurashev and Dach should be able to take their place in a year....you literally are saying that about Gus and makes no sense.

Please read all the way through.
    First of all, coaches don't make trades, and second that's not what I'm saying at all. Hawks need to sign Strome, Cat, and probably Lehner. There for have no money for Gustafsson, who by the way is a UFA. Yes, we can trade Saad, but it still doesn't make sense to sign Gustafsson. And also didn't Colorado just trade Barrie, knowing that Makar was gonna take his place?

Now no way in hell are Mitchell, Boqvist, and Beaudin anythig close to what Makar is as a prospect. At least the Hawks have INSURANCE in their farm for an offensive defenseman. And thank you for insulting me as my "logic" just doesn't seem fit to you. Bowman isn't giving him a long term contract with the prospects we have, and Gus is gonna try an bank off his one maybe two successful scoring seasons. It doesn't make sense. He's also gonna want as much money as he can get, and it's not gonna be from Chicago.

Finally, you're comparison to Strome and Debrincat is really rude and is no way constructive at all. Offense and Defense are two separate animals, and the comparison doesn't make sense bc Dach and Kurahsev can easliy slide in with Strome and Debrincat. Unfortunately our d-prospects don't gel so well with Gustafsson's game. Like who are we putting on the pk(Which we are so eagerly desperate to fix)? Who else are we taking off the team on defense? Keith and Seabrook aren't going anywhere. They aren't gonna sit Seabrook out all season, as he's too big of a voice in the locker room. You need to better help me understand your argument instead of completely trashing mine man.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll