SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Who to protect at expansion draft

Aug. 24, 2019 at 11:19 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Draft is June 2021

I believe you can only protect 8 FW, 3 D, and 1 goalie

Who would you protect???

Looking for a good healthy discussion on this.

@palhal @Jamiepo @onex @blowing_the_zone @Jangle29 @Sign_em_up000000 @oldnyifan @LoganOllivier @tansor @SpaghettiPasta @Bf3351 @swinny @BCAPP @SammyT_51
@Laudan @Bcarlo25 @th13 @Random2152
Aug. 24, 2019 at 11:23 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Here is my list right now as it stands

Tavares
Matthews
Marner (assuming he signs)
Nylander
Johnsson
Kerfoot
Moore
Kapanen

Rielly
Dermott

Dont have a 3rd D to protect and not a goalie.
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Aug. 24, 2019 at 11:30 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster
Draft is June 2021

Who would you protect???

@palhal @Jamiepo @onex @blowing_the_zone @Jangle29 @Sign_em_up000000 @oldnyifan @LoganOllivier @tansor @SpaghettiPasta @Bf3351 @swinny @BCAPP @SammyT_51

It's 7/3/1 or 8/1

My picks as of the way things stand right now.

Forwards: Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Kerfoot, Johnsson, Kapanen (although I believe we need to protect Hyman which is why move(s) will be made before the expansion draft).

Defence: Rielly, Dermott, ..., depending on whether or not Sandin/Liljegren end up meeting requirements, or if we re-sign either Muzzin or Berrie, or grab someone via trade/FA.

Goaltending: Andersen

Who would you protect?
Trickster and oneX liked this.
Aug. 24, 2019 at 11:32 p.m.
Here is my list right now as it stands

Tavares
Matthews
Marner (assuming he signs)
Nylander
Johnsson
Kerfoot
Moore
Kapanen

Rielly
Dermott

Dont have a 3rd D to protect and not a goalie.

I only protected Andersen because we need to protect a goalie and this way we keep his rights until FA begins.
palhal liked this.
Aug. 24, 2019 at 11:38 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
It's 7/3/1 or 8/1

Forwards: Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Kerfoot, Johnsson, Kapanen (although I believe we need to protect Hyman which is why move(s) will be made before the expansion draft).

Defence: Rielly, Dermott, ..., depending on whether or not Sandin/Liljegren end up meeting requirements, or if we re-sign either Muzzin or Berrie, or grab someone via trade/FA.

Who would you protect?

Hyman is UFA, as is Andersen.
So unless they get extended, they wont be.

Hard to say on D, have to work off he is signed or at least RFA.
oneX and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Aug. 24, 2019 at 11:46 p.m.
It's 7/3/1 or 8/1

Who would you protect?

Most people will have a very similar list but where the list may deviate is on D.
There are big questions going into this season regarding D especially with 3 guys hitting UFA.

The Sandin and Liljegren point is fair...but I imagine that the Leafs only get to having to protect them if games played factors into the expansion draft.

Goalies: this is an interesting decision based on how Dubas feels about Andersen because he is set to be a UFA soon after the draft.
Does signing Andersen to an extension depend on his play in the playoffs? I think that will be a factor actually. In my view I keep the goalie decision until I see what happens in the playoffs.
Trickster, Sign_em_up000000, blowing_the_zone and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 24, 2019 at 11:55 p.m.
Hyman is UFA, as is Andersen.
So unless they get extended, they wont be.

Hard to say on D, have to work off he is signed or at least RFA.

Andersen, it will all be depending on whether or not Dubas wants to try to extend him. We can protect UFAs to be as they are still currently under contract.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 12:01 a.m.
Quoting: oneX
Most people will have a very similar list but where the list may deviate is on D.
There are big questions going into this season regarding D especially with 3 guys hitting UFA.

The Sandin and Liljegren point is fair...but I imagine that the Leafs only get to having to protect them if games played factors into the expansion draft.

Goalies: this is an interesting decision based on how Dubas feels about Andersen because he is set to be a UFA soon after the draft.
Does signing Andersen to an extension depend on his play in the playoffs? I think that will be a factor actually. In my view I keep the goalie decision until I see what happens in the playoffs.

I protected Rielly and Dermott and left the 3rd spot open as we will have to see what happens. I don't think Dubas will let Sandin or Liljegren, meet the requirements as it would handcuff us even more so on D before the expansion draft happens or we would lose one of Sandin, Liljegren or Dermott.

I agree on the goalie situation. I think his play in the playoffs the next two years will heavily factor into whether or not Kyle even wants to re-sign Andersen. Also how much $/term he wants, and where Scott & Woll are in their development.
Trickster, oneX and OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 12:27 a.m.
Banned

Liljegren and Sandin are both slide candidates, they are exempt, they are still treated as though they haven't played any professional hockey yet. They can't play enough to be eligible.
Trickster and oneX liked this.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 12:45 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
7 Forwards......Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Marner, Kerfoot. Johnsson and Kapanen.
3 Dmen. Reilly, Dermot and someone else. Liljegren and Sandin won't be starters this season so don't have to be drafted/
Goalie. Don't think it's Andersson. If he's to good, Leafs can't afford . If the Leafs don't win a playoff round...he's not resigned. Really not important who is protected, it's who will be the two goalies in 21/22 season.
Maybe the new head coach will have different ideas.
Trickster, oneX, Sign_em_up000000 and 2 others liked this.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 1:30 a.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
Liljegren and Sandin are both slide candidates, they are exempt, they are still treated as though they haven't played any professional hockey yet. They can't play enough to be eligible.

Quoting: palhal
7 Forwards......Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Marner, Kerfoot. Johnsson and Kapanen.
3 Dmen. Reilly, Dermot and someone else. Liljegren and Sandin won't be starters this season so don't have to be drafted/
Goalie. Don't think it's Andersson. If he's to good, Leafs can't afford . If the Leafs don't win a playoff round...he's not resigned. Really not important who is protected, it's who will be the two goalies in 21/22 season.

“The 40/70 games played requirements will not be considered until the beginning of the 2019-20 season." It's right at the top of the Seattle expansion draft, under tools. The expansion draft doesn't take place until June 2021 so they CAN meet the requirements.

As for Andersen and Hyman, they are both still technically under contract for the expansion draft. As of right now, we need to protect 1 goalie and have one who meets the requirements to be exposed. Will and Scott don't meet the requirements and likely won't although time will tell what Dubas does next offseason to address this situation.
oneX, Trickster and OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 3:03 a.m.

As for Andersen and Hyman, they are both still technically under contract for the expansion draft. As of right now, we need to protect 1 goalie and have one who meets the requirements to be exposed. Will and Scott don't meet the requirements and likely won't although time will tell what Dubas does next offseason to address this situation.

Okay hypothetical question: if Dubas decides that Andersen wants too much money as a UFA and hasn't shown enough in the playoffs to also not warrant an extension...would you consider protecting a backup goalie instead?

I ask this because Leafs struggled with Sparks as the backup last season so if Neuvirth or Hutchinson show one of them can be good reliable backups...do you protect said goalie?
Sign_em_up000000 and Trickster liked this.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 3:28 a.m.
Okay hypothetical question: if Dubas decides that Andersen wants too much money as a UFA and hasn't shown enough in the playoffs to also not warrant an extension...would you consider protecting a backup goalie instead?

I ask this because Leafs struggled with Sparks as the backup last season so if Neuvirth or Hutchinson show one of them can be good reliable backups...do you protect said goalie?

Personally, I don't think Andersen gets extended by the leafs unless he takes a team-friendly deal which I don't think is likely. Also, like I said I think how he plays especially in the playoffs these next two years will heavily factor into Kyles decision.

I've had that exact same thought! If Neuvirth or Hutch can play well and are willing to sign reasonable extensions I could see Kyle going that route. Although it will depend on what happens this season or if Dubas picks up another backup before the season starts if neither plays well enough in preseason. If we can pick up someone like Louis Domingue, or Tristan Jarry for cheap and they do well I think that Dubas protects them. Either way, it's likely we go the route you suggested.
Trickster, oneX and OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 7:54 a.m.

I think this is probably spot on.

It's still a ways off, but you can bet that this plays into decision making right now too. There's alot up in the air right now with Marner unsigned and so many ufa d on the roster. Alot will change depending on how the season unfolds this year leading to decisions as to who stays on d.

My guess is that it's pretty straight forward with a Marner signing with decisions needing to be made on Andersen and Hyman. As well as Dertmott dependg on how the season goes this year. If he gets time on the right side and proves solid there, I think he's a lock. Otherwise, he might be a casualty given the depth on the left and the need on the right.
Trickster and OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 7:59 a.m.
Quoting: palhal

I love the subtle jabs at Babcock. Looking forward to when this Marner business gets resolved so we can get back to this kind of important business. And the all will be right with the world
palhal, Trickster, OldNYIfan and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 8:24 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Believe that Liljegren or Sandin would have to play 42 games this season to be eligible to be drafted. Goalies. Let's not worry, the draft is two summers away. Leafs can sign a goalie with the draft eligibility requirements easily. Niewrith and Hutchinson, hoping they aren't in the Leafs plans for 2020/21.
Hyman has enough business interests that I wonder if continue to be an NHLer, if time takes him away from both his professions. It just might be possible that Hyman when he is a UFA, he just might want to stay in Toronto and Toronto only to continue his NHL career. Maybe $$$$ won't be a factor.
Trickster and OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 9:09 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Draft is June 2021

Who would you protect???

7F, 3D, 1G or 8 skaters, 1G

7-3-1 is the likely used one.
7F: Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Kerfoot, Kapanen, Johnsson/Mikheyev (we dont know how good will Mikheyev be, but I think he is gonna be GOOD!)
3D: Rielly, Dermott and if the decide to re-sign Muzzin, then Muzzin. But I can see why they wouldnt and Liljegren would be protected as I can see him being played a lot in the Leafs uniform this year.
1G: Andersen
OldNYIfan and Trickster liked this.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 9:46 a.m.
Edited Aug. 25, 2019 at 9:53 a.m.
Draft is June 2021

Who would you protect???

Obvious Forwards: Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Kapanen, Johansson

On the bubbe: Kerfoot, Mikheyev, Hyman.

This is a serious debate. On one hand you want centre depth, and as of right now I would argue the Leafs don't have the organizational centre depth to let Kerfoot go. However the same is to be said about the LW. Hyman is on the bubble because really, it depends on how good Mikheyev translates to the NHL. If this goes as well as people say it will, Hyman is asked to waive his NTC. If he does not this arguement is moot.

Assuming Hyman does, it brings us to Kerfoot and Mikheyev. Now if Mikheyev comes as advertised, we have ourselves a top 6 LW. Does this trump centre depth? I think it does. 3rd line centres can be found via FA, or a quick trade. The further arguement against Kerfoot here is he will be on an expiring deal. (We will assume Mikheyev sign an extension similar to that of Johansson and Kappy). So for the sake of cap certainty, you go Mikheyev and roll the dice.....

7th Foward Protection in order or performance priority: Mikheyev, Kerfoot, Hyman.

Obvious Defensemen: Reilly, Dermott.

Bubble: really no one. Liligren doesn't play this year. I doubt Sandin does either, if for nothing less than fraft exemption. Safe to assume Barrie isn't back because this Leafs flat out can't afford him. Unless Ceci blows people's minds year, we can assume he walks as well - because if the reall Cevi shows up, he priced himself out of Toronto too. Marincin and Holl aren't even on the radar.

This organizationally leaves Ben Harpur. Honestly, I don't mind him in a bottom 6 role at all. But is that something I want to protect?? If there is an opportunity to upgrade the Leafs do so, no question.

3rd Defenseman: outside the organization

Goalie: well obviously Anderson barring a complete explosion.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 9:47 a.m.
Banned
All first and 2nd year players are exempt from the expansion draft. This is being held after the 20-21 season which is next year. Liljegren and Sandin are both slide candidates so technically that have not played any pro years yet making them exempt from the draft.

The Leafs do not need to protect them no matter how many games they play.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 10:42 a.m.
All first and 2nd year players are exempt from the expansion draft. This is being held after the 20-21 season which is next year. Liljegren and Sandin are both slide candidates so technically that have not played any pro years yet making them exempt from the draft.

Did you miss @Sign_em_up000000 's post where mentioned stuff about the expansion draft and few rules? Apparently these are part of this site which I had no idea about.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 11:08 a.m.
Edited Aug. 25, 2019 at 11:46 a.m.
Hmm... So I'll assume none of the Wild players waive. Kaprizov should be exempt (he'll be 23 next summer so he can only sign a 2 year ELC), but if we make the playoffs next year and make a deep run we technically could sign him since his KHL contract ends April 30th... I don't think that'll happen, though.

Parise (NMC)
Zuccarello (NMC)
Zucker
Kunin
Fiala
Greenway
Donato

Suter (NMC)
Dumba
Spurgeon (assuming he re-signs, he possibly could have a NMC, but I'd protect him even if he doesn't have one)

No idea on goalie, since Dubnyk's contract expires prior to the expansion draft. Whoever our starter is, I guess.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Thanks, sleep deprivation! For the Leafs,

Matthews
Marner
Tavares
Nylander
Kapanen
Johnsson
Kerfoot

Rielly
Dermott
Sandin (not sure if he's exempt or not)

Freddy
Sign_em_up000000, OldNYIfan, Trickster and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 12:11 p.m.

Next season is 2019-2020 the season after next is 2020-2021. If either plays in 40 games this season or next or 70 games between the two they will qualify.
OldNYIfan, Trickster and oneX liked this.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 12:15 p.m.
Quoting: TanSor
Hmm... So I'll assume none of the Wild players waive. Kaprizov should be exempt (he'll be 23 next summer so he can only sign a 2 year ELC), but if we make the playoffs next year and make a deep run we technically could sign him since his KHL contract ends April 30th... I don't think that'll happen, though.

Parise (NMC)
Zuccarello (NMC)
Zucker
Kunin
Fiala
Greenway
Donato

Suter (NMC)
Dumba
Spurgeon (assuming he re-signs, he possibly could have a NMC, but I'd protect him even if he doesn't have one)

No idea on goalie, since Dubnyk's contract expires prior to the expansion draft. Whoever our starter is, I guess.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Thanks, sleep deprivation! For the Leafs,

Matthews
Marner
Tavares
Nylander
Kapanen
Johnsson
Kerfoot

Rielly
Dermott
Sandin (not sure if he's exempt or not)

Freddy

Not trying to nitpick but Dubnyk will still qualify as the expansion draft is in June and FA begins July 1st. But it looks good.
TanSor, OldNYIfan, Trickster and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 12:18 p.m.
Not trying to nitpick but Dubnyk will still qualify as the expansion draft is in June and FA begins July 1st. But it looks good.

Damn, you're right. Welp, I guess who we protect depends on if we have a replacement for him or not by that time.
Sign_em_up000000, OldNYIfan, Trickster and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 12:21 p.m.
Quoting: TanSor
Damn, you're right. Welp, I guess who we protect depends on if we have a replacement for him or not by that time.

Were in the same boat with Andersen.
OldNYIfan, TanSor, Trickster and 1 other person liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll