SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Who to protect at expansion draft

Aug. 25, 2019 at 12:29 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I think we all subscribe to a consensus here, which was best presented by @swinny : 6 forwards (Johnsson, Kapanen, Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Tavares) with one slot open depending upon developments, Rielly and Dermott, with one slot open depending upon developments, and Andersen unless something else develops.

Too bad the expansion isn't after this season, because (a) three defensemen are going to be UFA's, and (b) it might be a source of a good bottom-pairing RD, as Trevor van Riemsdyk was for Carolina through Las Vegas.
TanSor, Sign_em_up000000, Trickster and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 12:30 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
Next season is 2019-2020 the season after next is 2020-2021. If either plays in 40 games this season or next or 70 games between the two they will qualify.

You are misinterpreting the rules. Teams must expose players who meet those requirements, but all players who are 1st and 2nd year NHL players (both Liljegren and Sandin are that regardless of games played) they are exempt. This is why Nylander wasn't eligible for Vegas. Look up the rules on the NHL website is says right there all 1st and 2nd year NHL players are exempt.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 12:50 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: swinny
Obvious Forwards: Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Kapanen, Johansson

On the bubbe: Kerfoot, Mikheyev, Hyman.

This is a serious debate. On one hand you want centre depth, and as of right now I would argue the Leafs don't have the organizational centre depth to let Kerfoot go. However the same is to be said about the LW. Hyman is on the bubble because really, it depends on how good Mikheyev translates to the NHL. If this goes as well as people say it will, Hyman is asked to waive his NTC. If he does not this arguement is moot.

Assuming Hyman does, it brings us to Kerfoot and Mikheyev. Now if Mikheyev comes as advertised, we have ourselves a top 6 LW. Does this trump centre depth? I think it does. 3rd line centres can be found via FA, or a quick trade. The further arguement against Kerfoot here is he will be on an expiring deal. (We will assume Mikheyev sign an extension similar to that of Johansson and Kappy). So for the sake of cap certainty, you go Mikheyev and roll the dice.....

7th Foward Protection in order or performance priority: Mikheyev, Kerfoot, Hyman.

Obvious Defensemen: Reilly, Dermott.

Bubble: really no one. Liligren doesn't play this year. I doubt Sandin does either, if for nothing less than fraft exemption. Safe to assume Barrie isn't back because this Leafs flat out can't afford him. Unless Ceci blows people's minds year, we can assume he walks as well - because if the reall Cevi shows up, he priced himself out of Toronto too. Marincin and Holl aren't even on the radar.

This organizationally leaves Ben Harpur. Honestly, I don't mind him in a bottom 6 role at all. But is that something I want to protect?? If there is an opportunity to upgrade the Leafs do so, no question.

3rd Defenseman: outside the organization

Goalie: well obviously Anderson barring a complete explosion.

You always have Spezza to play 3C wink
oneX and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 12:52 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I think we all subscribe to a consensus here, which was best presented by @swinny : 6 forwards (Johnsson, Kapanen, Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Tavares) with one slot open depending upon developments, Rielly and Dermott, with one slot open depending upon developments, and Andersen unless something else develops.

Too bad the expansion isn't after this season, because (a) three defensemen are going to be UFA's, and (b) it might be a source of a good bottom-pairing RD, as Trevor van Riemsdyk was for Carolina through Las Vegas.

I suspect there will be teams needing to move a body for expansion purposes. But it also seemed more prudent that side deals are struck to stay away from those players too..... I believe that's where the 3rd D will come from.

A possibility that certainly exists for the Leafs. A side deal to keep Kerfoot certainly would make sense.... Hyman I think is asked to waive his NTC......
Aug. 25, 2019 at 12:53 p.m.
Quoting: Bf3351
You always have Spezza to play 3C wink

Lmfao! That's awesome!
oneX and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 2:59 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Trickster
Draft is June 2021

I believe you can only protect 8 FW, 3 D, and 1 goalie

Who would you protect???

Looking for a good healthy discussion on this.

@palhal @Jamiepo @onex @blowing_the_zone @Jangle29 @Sign_em_up000000 @oldnyifan @LoganOllivier @tansor @SpaghettiPasta @Bf3351 @swinny @BCAPP @SammyT_51
@Laudan @Bcarlo25 @th13 @Random2152

Everyone but Matthews Tavares Marner Kapanen Johnsson Kerfoot Rielly and Anderson
OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 25, 2019 at 3:07 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Think it 7 F .
Reilly, Dermot and if the Leafs have another veteran D, Assuming Sandin and Liljegren haven't played enough NHL games to be eligible.
Matthews, Nylander, Marner.....Then you're talking about similar type players. Johnsson, Kapanen, Kerfoot. One of Moore or Bracco, Goalie...don't matter then much. Andersson is a UFA.
Trickster and OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 26, 2019 at 1:27 a.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
You are misinterpreting the rules. Teams must expose players who meet those requirements, but all players who are 1st and 2nd year NHL players (both Liljegren and Sandin are that regardless of games played) they are exempt. This is why Nylander wasn't eligible for Vegas. Look up the rules on the NHL website is says right there all 1st and 2nd year NHL players are exempt.

Ahh, I stand corrected! Well played sir.
Aug. 26, 2019 at 9:39 a.m.
torontos finest
Assuming that the rules remain the same from the previous draft:

Tavares
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Johnsson
Kapanen
Reilly
Dermott
Andersen (if he resigns)

Leaves one spot open from someone the team acquires in the future.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll