SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2 Random Offseason Q's

Aug. 30, 2019 at 3:42 a.m.
1. Assuming Andrei Markov returns to the NHL this coming season, where does he play and how much will it cost to sign him. Is he still a top 4 D? Is it possible he plays somewhere besides MTL?

2. What exactly is EDM's strategy regarding Jesse Puljujarvi? Should Holland just sell low and salvage whatever he can get at this point? Puljujarvi sounds like he's def. done playing in EDM What's his current trade value relative to other young skill players who have underperformed? Basically, what I'm asking is, does he have added value simply b/c he was a top 5 pick? Can a simple change of scenery jumpstart his career? He obviously still has value and potential, but how much? What does EDM possibly have to gain by retaining his NHL rights while he plays in Finland or the KHL?
Aug. 30, 2019 at 8:14 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
1. If he does return to the NHL, it almost definitely won’t be the Canadiens, an it would be ridiculous if he made any more than a million. League minimum would be most likely.

2. Edmonton’s not selling low on Puljujärvi since it’s not worth it. They’re asking for a pick and a prospect and apparently would rather let him play in Europe than trade him for a 3rd. Edmonton can wait it out until Puljujärvi wants to come back to the NHL, and he might be forced to sign with them as the only option. Or if he plays well in Europe, it could bolster his stock, which will get teams that would pay EDM’s asking price. And it might just take time for someone to give Edmonton an offer they like.
Aug. 30, 2019 at 8:42 a.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
1. Assuming Andrei Markov returns to the NHL this coming season, where does he play and how much will it cost to sign him. Is he still a top 4 D? Is it possible he plays somewhere besides MTL?

2. What exactly is EDM's strategy regarding Jesse Puljujarvi? Should Holland just sell low and salvage whatever he can get at this point? Puljujarvi sounds like he's def. done playing in EDM What's his current trade value relative to other young skill players who have underperformed? Basically, what I'm asking is, does he have added value simply b/c he was a top 5 pick? Can a simple change of scenery jumpstart his career? He obviously still has value and potential, but how much? What does EDM possibly have to gain by retaining his NHL rights while he plays in Finland or the KHL?

1. If he returns to the NHL (big if) I think it'll be with the Canadiens. The Hockey News suggested alternatives could be the Avalanche or Devils. I think the Kings or Rangers are possible.

2. I think they'll try to move him but they won't be able to get much. I could definitely see him playing in Europe for the year and the Oilers hoping he does well enough to raise his value.
Aug. 30, 2019 at 8:55 a.m.
Quoting: Brian2016

1. Markov is 40 years old. No chance he has the ability as a top 4 dman in the league anymore unless he loaded up on roids during his retirement. The only reason chara is still in the league is because he is 6'9. If he was markov's 6'0 frame he would be too slow/small to keep up with anyone in the league, which i feel like markov will bottom out quick. So im making a bold prediction unless its the habs, he doesnt play.

2. I think this was stated earlier somewhere but its a win win for the oilers for pool party to go to europe. If he goes to europe and kills it, his value goes up and they can trade him away. If he goes to europe and sucks, then they tell him to stay there and not to come back. Oilers want to get as much return on this guy as possible because of his high selection. Do i think they get it, no. it ends up being for much lower than the oilers want to.
palhal liked this.
Aug. 30, 2019 at 9:04 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Markov and top 4 shouldn't be in the same sentence now.
I'm glad JP decided to return to Finland. For his sake, maybe he can get his health and game back to NHL standards. Oilers have to know what his playing value is either for their team or if a trade is forthcoming, I'm assuming next summer.
Aug. 30, 2019 at 10:13 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
1. Markov should sign with the Jets, he could play on the bottom pairing anjd the Jets 10th game is in Montreal, so he'll be hitting 1000 games in Montreal

2. Pulju isnt returning with the Oilers, ever, and Mr. Leon Draisitl seemed pissed when asked about him, so im sure the whole Oilers team feels that way. This doesnt mean Holland will sell low, because he wont. I think he'll end up with Tampa, but who really knows at this point. I do think he could get his NHL career back on track but I don't think he'll ever live up to that 4 OA pick. Something around 30-40 points is something I think he should be able to consistently do
Aug. 30, 2019 at 2:35 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
1. Markov is probably not a top-4 d-man anymore. Idk who should sign him.

2. If Edmonton keeps him, then maybe if he really wants to play in the NHL he'll decide to sign with the Oilers in a few years ... but that's not a guarantee, just a possibility. I think we plays this year in Europe, but we'll see.
Aug. 30, 2019 at 3:10 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
2. If Edmonton keeps him, then maybe if he really wants to play in the NHL he'll decide to sign with the Oilers in a few years ... but that's not a guarantee, just a possibility. I think we plays this year in Europe, but we'll see.

Puljujarvi almost certainly will play again in the NHL someday, but it almost certainly will not be with the Oilers.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Aug. 30, 2019 at 3:44 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Bflo_Soldier
Puljujarvi almost certainly will play again in the NHL someday, but it almost certainly will not be with the Oilers.

I agree
Sep. 1, 2019 at 11:50 p.m.
I guess I just don't see how Puljujarvi's trade value will increase by leaving the NHL for the Fin league. Even if he puts up monster numbers it'd be against inferior competition. So it wouldn't prove anything. His value will only diminish, especially if he's not traded by Dec. 1st.
Sep. 2, 2019 at 5:22 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018
I'd be pretty surprised if Puljujarvi isn't dealt by the start the season honestly. I think Carolina is a great fit for him right now, and given the plethora of forward depth the Canes have, they can make a deal work that'll benefit both sides
Brian2016 liked this.
Sep. 2, 2019 at 5:59 a.m.
Quoting: krakowitz
I'd be pretty surprised if Puljujarvi isn't dealt by the start the season honestly. I think Carolina is a great fit for him right now, and given the plethora of forward depth the Canes have, they can make a deal work that'll benefit both sides

I think you're right. He's using the Fin contract as leverage. Everyone wants to play in the NHL and Holland certainly can't afford to lose him for nothing. CAR, DET, or BUF are my 3 potential landing spots. All 3 have the organizational depth and draft picks to make a bold move. I would def. give up a 2nd and a 3rd to acquire him.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll