SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

marner

Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 2, 2019
Published: Sep. 2, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Time for Dubas to play the game. Offer Marner's camp 3 different contract options and tell them agree to one before the Exhibition games end or we'll actively trade you.

Option 1: 3 yrs @ $8
Option 2: 5 yrs @ $9
Option 3 : 6 yrs @ $9.666
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$81,500,000$81,216,366$0$0$283,634
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$737,500$737,500
LW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 2, 2019 at 11:31 a.m.
Leaf haters will claim he's underpaid
Sep. 2, 2019 at 11:35 a.m.
Edited Sep. 2, 2019 at 12:11 p.m.
Quoting: TheresAlwaysNextYear
Leaf haters will claim he's underpaid

Knowing the sucker Dubas is, his final 3 offers would be;

3 yrs @ $9.333
5 yrs @ $10.2
6 yrs @ $11
Sep. 2, 2019 at 11:35 a.m.
A lot of people seem to be under the assumption that Marner and his team are clinging to Matthews’ contract, which they are, but I wonder how true that will be if he actually gets traded. Will his demands be more or in line with the market then? Like if Carolina picked him up will he consider Aho a benchmark? I highly doubt it. Lol.
Sep. 2, 2019 at 11:37 a.m.
14m in dead cap
Why would any team trade for a guy being that difficult to sign unless the Leafs are selling low?
Sep. 2, 2019 at 11:39 a.m.
Quoting: Weezley
A lot of people seem to be under the assumption that Marner and his team are clinging to Matthews’ contract, which they are, but I wonder how true that will be if he actually gets traded. Will his demands be more or in line with the market then? Like if Carolina picked him up will he consider Aho a benchmark? I highly doubt it. Lol.

Being that he is a playmaking winger hurts his attempt to claim he is comparable to Matthews and Eichel type money. He needs to look at Draisaitl, Kucherov, Rantanen, Kane and Panarin as comparables.
Sep. 2, 2019 at 11:39 a.m.

Can or will any team trade for a player that they knowing have to overpay to sign? Without an extension already in place, would any team even roll the dice on him?
Sep. 2, 2019 at 11:41 a.m.
Quoting: JayTea
Why would any team trade for a guy being that difficult to sign unless the Leafs are selling low?

Quoting: Goulet
Can or will any team trade for a player that they knowing have to overpay to sign? Without an extension already in place, would any team even roll the dice on him?

Marner's camp are acting like this because they smell blood in the water with Dubas already being known as overpaying his players. Marner's camp might respect another team's GM because obviously Ferris believes Dubas is a sucker.

Also Marner's camp knows the Toronto media/fans are dumb, which helps him.
Sep. 2, 2019 at 11:48 a.m.

That would probably be something the team trading for Marner would work out before it was official. Seems to be a common practice for teams to allow another interested team to talk extensions.
Sep. 2, 2019 at 11:49 a.m.
14m in dead cap
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Marner's camp are acting like this because they smell blood in the water with Dubas already being known as overpaying his players. Marner's camp might respect another team's GM because obviously Ferris believes Dubas is a sucker.

Also Marner's camp knows the Toronto media/fans are dumb, which helps him.

Maybe, but I'm sure Dubas isn't getting "fair" value on a guy he's unable to sign.
Sep. 2, 2019 at 11:53 a.m.
Edited Sep. 2, 2019 at 12:01 p.m.
Quoting: JayTea
Maybe, but I'm sure Dubas isn't getting "fair" value on a guy he's unable to sign.

I think Ferris is probably using Dubas "new age analytics" against him, trying to prove Marner's numbers equals a higher rate than which a more old school GM wouldn't listen to.
Sep. 2, 2019 at 11:57 a.m.
Marner's camp has been planning to piggy back off of Matthews' number for the last 2 years. Well before any of the contracts were handed out. It's why they insisted on Matthews getting signed first and has nothing to do with them thinking Dubas is a sucker.

It would be tough for any of us to get hired at the same time as someone else. Out perform them. Have a significantly better attendance record, but find out they got a bigger bonus/raise than you.

People are hating on Marner but it's his dad/agent pushing for top dollar. We don't know yet when, or if, Marner will actually step in over rule them....but they're well within reason by pushing for Matthews type numbers.

If there were no cap...we wouldn't care what he got paid. As fans we want it to be as little as possible because it allows a better team to be assembled around him. I get that. I feel the same way. I also acknowledge the argument of top line C vs playmaking winger. That's obviously the leafs' point of view too which is why there's still no deal.

Based on various reports, I think there was at least one other team that negotiated an offer sheet with Ferris, and my gut says that Marner refused to sign it. I'm guessing they also already have a number, north of $10m, that's been offered. But Ferris wants that on a short term deal and leafs are only offering it on 6+ years.

I dunno....I get why they feel they can hold out for more $$ or shorter term, but I don't see the leafs budging. I think Dubas has done everything he can to maximize the available space to sign Marner...and he's willing to give him all that space on a long term deal...but if it were me, I'd give Marner up to 2 weeks into the season to sign it, otherwise I'm using that space to fill other needs and he can sit out until next year when his value will be stagnant at best.
Sep. 2, 2019 at 12:04 p.m.
That would probably be something the team trading for Marner would work out before it was official. Seems to be a common practice for teams to allow another interested team to talk extensions.

I was inferring that he has been reported as being even more ridiculous negotiating with other teams because he doesn't actually want to leave Toronto.
Sep. 2, 2019 at 12:08 p.m.
Quoting: Juice
Marner's camp has been planning to piggy back off of Matthews' number for the last 2 years. Well before any of the contracts were handed out. It's why they insisted on Matthews getting signed first and has nothing to do with them thinking Dubas is a sucker.

It would be tough for any of us to get hired at the same time as someone else. Out perform them. Have a significantly better attendance record, but find out they got a bigger bonus/raise than you.

People are hating on Marner but it's his dad/agent pushing for top dollar. We don't know yet when, or if, Marner will actually step in over rule them....but they're well within reason by pushing for Matthews type numbers.

If there were no cap...we wouldn't care what he got paid. As fans we want it to be as little as possible because it allows a better team to be assembled around him. I get that. I feel the same way. I also acknowledge the argument of top line C vs playmaking winger. That's obviously the leafs' point of view too which is why there's still no deal.

Based on various reports, I think there was at least one other team that negotiated an offer sheet with Ferris, and my gut says that Marner refused to sign it. I'm guessing they also already have a number, north of $10m, that's been offered. But Ferris wants that on a short term deal and leafs are only offering it on 6+ years.

I dunno....I get why they feel they can hold out for more $$ or shorter term, but I don't see the leafs budging. I think Dubas has done everything he can to maximize the available space to sign Marner...and he's willing to give him all that space on a long term deal...but if it were me, I'd give Marner up to 2 weeks into the season to sign it, otherwise I'm using that space to fill other needs and he can sit out until next year when his value will be stagnant at best.

I agree, I was hopeful when a false report stated that Mitch was going to step in and hire a new player agent because Mitch wasn't pleased with the media/fans turning against him and Mitch doesn't wanna miss any time.
Sep. 2, 2019 at 12:14 p.m.
I was inferring that he has been reported as being even more ridiculous negotiating with other teams because he doesn't actually want to leave Toronto.

Oh, then yes. He has been like that with others too. Hard to say how it will all play out. Personally, I am hoping for a trade will happen for a NHL ready forward, prospect, and a pick. It doesn’t have to be a homerun trade because it seems like in either scenario the Leafs will be boned. Lol
Sep. 2, 2019 at 12:16 p.m.
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
I agree, I was hopeful when a false report stated that Mitch was going to step in and hire a new player agent because Mitch wasn't pleased with the media/fans turning against him and Mitch doesn't wanna miss any time.

I'm still holding out hope that sometime during training camp he steps in and tells them to get something done

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll