Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$77,632,500$132,500$2,850,000$3,867,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$4,900,000$4,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,050,000$2,050,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$800,000$800,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 3
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 2, 2019 at 7:22 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Yeah I’d do this in a heart beat
rootferdukes, Eli, Jbarah12 and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 2, 2019 at 7:30 p.m.
Your Fav Dman is Bad
Quoting: Capitalfail67
Yeah I’d do this in a heart beat

Not sure how they'd be able to sign Pettersson and get under the cap, but Jesus if this offer is there GMBM has to take it and figure out the cap later. Boyd and Djoos are both decent complementary players, but Pettersson is really good and Simon can play up and down the lineup, and both are outstanding drivers of play at 5v5.
Eli, Capitalfail67 and Jbarah12 liked this.
Sep. 2, 2019 at 7:46 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Quoting: rootferdukes
Not sure how they'd be able to sign Pettersson and get under the cap, but Jesus if this offer is there GMBM has to take it and figure out the cap later. Boyd and Djoos are both decent complementary players, but Pettersson is really good and Simon can play up and down the lineup, and both are outstanding drivers of play at 5v5.

Pettersson could easily play in our top 4 if needed and I’m sure they can waiver Stephenson and Copley
rootferdukes liked this.
Sep. 2, 2019 at 8:06 p.m.
Who adds what?
Boyd shadows Ovechkin for seven games.... could be haunting. Might need a spare offensive center at some point, so it seems fair, but it's not like there isn't some value going each way

Pettersson could easily play in our top 4 if needed and I’m sure they can waiver Stephenson and Copley

Colorado and Columbs will try to claim Copley if he's waived. Their two organizations, put together, have goalies who didn't play 80 games in the NHL last year. No half-decent goalies are clearing waivers, and Copley's pretty decent.
Sep. 2, 2019 at 8:16 p.m.
Analytics are good
That would be so bad for the Penguins. They lose the 2 best players in the trade
Jbarah12 liked this.
Sep. 2, 2019 at 8:22 p.m.
Quoting: Eli
Boyd shadows Ovechkin for seven games.... could be haunting. Might need a spare offensive center at some point, so it seems fair, but it's not like there isn't some value going each way

Colorado and Columbs will try to claim Copley if he's waived. Their two organizations, put together, have goalies who didn't play 80 games in the NHL last year. No half-decent goalies are clearing waivers, and Copley's pretty decent.

I think CBJ wants to see what they have in Merzlikins. He specifically signed a longer deal in Europe so that he could come over to the US after Bobrovsky's deal ended. He has some pretty sparkling numbers in a professional league, so he might have a slow start and pick it up after 5-10 starts. I think Korpisalo is the bigger question mark.
Eli liked this.
Sep. 2, 2019 at 8:27 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Quoting: PenGoater99
That would be so bad for the Penguins. They lose the 2 best players in the trade

Yeah Simon had 28 points in 71games .39 ppg Boyd had 20 points in 53 games. .38 ppg.......

Basically similar stats boyd is center vs a winger. I’d take the center.

Djoo has some great up side. Pettersson is better but at what cost......

Pettersson
Djoo
Boyd
Simon.

You are giving up the best and worse player.....
Eli liked this.
Sep. 2, 2019 at 9:17 p.m.
Who adds what?
Yeah Simon had 28 points in 71games .39 ppg Boyd had 20 points in 53 games. .38 ppg.......

Pettersson
Djoo
Boyd
Simon.

I'd add that Boyd kills a bunch of penalties at a low cap hit SImon is occasionally listed as a center, but has lost two thirds of his 33 career faceoffs.

But if Pit doesn't need Boyd and Washington doesn't particularly need, or have cap space for, Pettersson, then maybe there's something work out around Djoos for Simon and a 3rd?
Sep. 2, 2019 at 9:18 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
I'd add that Boyd kills a bunch of penalties at a low cap hit SImon is occasionally listed as a center, but has lost two thirds of his 33 career faceoffs.

But if Pit doesn't need Boyd and Washington doesn't particularly need, or have cap space for, Pettersson, then maybe there's something work out around Djoos for Simon and a 3rd?

Would rather trade djoo and a 2nd or 3rd for Addison
Sep. 3, 2019 at 7:53 a.m.
Who adds what?

Prospect depth at RHD seems valuable, when the team doesn't have a whole lot, but if the Ovechkin window might be just two more years, then Carlson, Jensen, Gudas, Lewington should be enough, especially with Djoos, Siegenthaler, Orlov, and Johansen comfortable switching sides. Djoos is a valuable player the Caps can't really afford without a training camp injury somewhere in the lineup, and trading him for a recent second round pick at some other position seems fine. Pitt wins it in terms of getting a definite NHLer for a likely one, but yeah, that could work. Maybe straight up, even.
Sep. 3, 2019 at 11:30 a.m.
Analytics are good

Pettersson
Djoo
Boyd
Simon.

LMAO. Simon is (at worst) the 2nd best player out of the bunch. Boyd is a 4th liner at best, Simon is one of the best defensive forwards in the game with great possession numbers and can play both wings, he is easily better than Boyd both offensively and defensively.

Djoos is 25, he is what he is, he's not going to get better than what he is now. Pettersson, on the other hand, is 23, and although doesn't have a lot of room to grow, he still can get better.

As I said before, the Penguins lose the 2 best players in the trade. Not even close.
Sep. 3, 2019 at 11:44 a.m.
Analytics are good

Yea no. Penguins probably won't trade their best defense prospect for a bottom pair LHD and some picks
Sep. 3, 2019 at 11:44 a.m.
Analytics are good

Simon for Djoos alone is awful, but then the Penguins add a 3rd? Yea no
Eli and Jbarah12 liked this.
Sep. 3, 2019 at 11:47 a.m.
Caps fan idk why
LMAO. Simon is (at worst) the 2nd best player out of the bunch. Boyd is a 4th liner at best, Simon is one of the best defensive forwards in the game with great possession numbers and can play both wings, he is easily better than Boyd both offensively and defensively.

Djoos is 25, he is what he is, he's not going to get better than what he is now. Pettersson, on the other hand, is 23, and although doesn't have a lot of room to grow, he still can get better.

As I said before, the Penguins lose the 2 best players in the trade. Not even close.

Simon is a product of Crosby more than likely not a roster player next year for the penguins ..... haha boyd can also play both sides and center blah blah hardly.

Djoo is what he is? That’s a dumb comment. He’s coming off an injury and his first nhl seals be won a cup playing with orpik. Haha Pettersson has the world by the balls at 23 but djoo after having more successful year at 23 missed time at 24 due to injury is what he’ll be. Come on man. Djoo could arguably be the better player if not he’s slightly worse. But Pettersson is unsigned and could cost a ton of money making his value again lower.

So yeah penguins lose the maybe best players and the worst player and actually very close unless you’re clueless
Sep. 3, 2019 at 11:50 a.m.
Caps fan idk why
Yea no. Penguins probably won't trade their best defense prospect for a bottom pair LHD and some picks

Djoo has way better numbers than Addison at his age in the ahl. He was top 10 in points. He’s also bottom pairing on the caps who had a stacked defense. Your bottom 4 pairing is what JJ rikuola or whatever Pettersson who played sheltered numbers last year. Yeah hahaha bottom pairing on the cap vs penguins is much different haha
Sep. 3, 2019 at 11:51 a.m.
Analytics are good
I would take this trade in a heartbeat 11/10 times.
Sep. 3, 2019 at 12:14 p.m.
Analytics are good
Simon is a product of Crosby more than likely not a roster player next year for the penguins ..... haha boyd can also play both sides and center blah blah hardly.

Djoo is what he is? That’s a dumb comment. He’s coming off an injury and his first nhl seals be won a cup playing with orpik. Haha Pettersson has the world by the balls at 23 but djoo after having more successful year at 23 missed time at 24 due to injury is what he’ll be. Come on man. Djoo could arguably be the better player if not he’s slightly worse. But Pettersson is unsigned and could cost a ton of money making his value again lower.

So yeah penguins lose the maybe best players and the worst player and actually very close unless you’re clueless

Simon isn't a product of Crosby because Simon's job isn't to score.

At 25, players do not become better unless it's an exceptional case. For the average defensemen, WAR drops significantly from 25 beyond. Highly unlikely he grows to become anything more than what he is now, which would be a bottom pair LHD. His cup ring doesn't mean anything, that is a team accomplishment.

I never said Pettersson "has the world by the balls", he's 23, so he could still grow a bit, but I'm not saying he'll become a top pair LHD. He also, in some ways, is what he is, a good top 4 LHD.

However, Pettersson is easily better than Djoos, and even if he is un-signed, I doubt he signs for more than 2.5M on a 2-4 year deal.

So again, the Penguins lose the best 2 players in this trade and it's not even close, but if you want to go further into that:

Simon beat Boyd in: CF%, Rel CF%, Rel GF%, xGF, xGA, xG+/-, Rel xGF%, iCF/60, ixGF, ixGF/60, had better offensive and defensive threats, all the while having nearly half the shot% and only an average PDO.

Pettersson beats out Djoos in all the same stats except for Rel GF%, had better offensive and defensive threats, and his 2 most common defense partners were Erik Gudbranson and Jack Johnson
Sep. 3, 2019 at 12:33 p.m.
Who adds what?
Simon for Djoos alone is awful, but then the Penguins add a 3rd? Yea no

So... neither of them played the full year last year. Djoos was on a pace for 18 even strength points, which would put him in the top 93 defensemen, making him a #3 offensive defenseman (you know, if there are 31 #1 guys, 62 #2 guys, etc....). Simon was on pace for 29 even strength points, which makes him one of the worst second line forwards in the league, offensively. Neither guy is super-valuable. They're the same age. You might think they're equally skilled, just from numbers....

But Simon probably played with guys who were a little more skilled than Brooks Orpik and Jonas Siegenthaler? Yeah, Djoos for Simon is a massive win for Pittsburgh, and Washington hopefully has better options, but worst case, it does get them under the salary cap, so there's that.
Sep. 3, 2019 at 12:47 p.m.
Caps fan idk why

At 25, players do not become better unless it's an exceptional case. For the average defensemen, WAR drops significantly from 25 beyond. Highly unlikely he grows to become anything more than what he is now, which would be a bottom pair LHD. His cup ring doesn't mean anything, that is a team accomplishment.

I never said Pettersson "has the world by the balls", he's 23, so he could still grow a bit, but I'm not saying he'll become a top pair LHD. He also, in some ways, is what he is, a good top 4 LHD.

However, Pettersson is easily better than Djoos, and even if he is un-signed, I doubt he signs for more than 2.5M on a 2-4 year deal.

So again, the Penguins lose the best 2 players in this trade and it's not even close, but if you want to go further into that:

Simon beat Boyd in: CF%, Rel CF%, Rel GF%, xGF, xGA, xG+/-, Rel xGF%, iCF/60, ixGF, ixGF/60, had better offensive and defensive threats, all the while having nearly half the shot% and only an average PDO.

Pettersson beats out Djoos in all the same stats except for Rel GF%, had better offensive and defensive threats, and his 2 most common defense partners were Erik Gudbranson and Jack Johnson

Simon an analytics darling With zero scoring touch. He’s a 4th liner. No matter how much you want him to be more. Also djoo is much better than you want to give him credit for
Eli liked this.
Sep. 3, 2019 at 12:48 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
So... neither of them played the full year last year. Djoos was on a pace for 18 even strength points, which would put him in the top 93 defensemen, making him a #3 offensive defenseman (you know, if there are 31 #1 guys, 62 #2 guys, etc....). Simon was on pace for 29 even strength points, which makes him one of the worst second line forwards in the league, offensively. Neither guy is super-valuable. They're the same age. You might think they're equally skilled, just from numbers....

But Simon probably played with guys who were a little more skilled than Brooks Orpik and Jonas Siegenthaler? Yeah, Djoos for Simon is a massive win for Pittsburgh, and Washington hopefully has better options, but worst case, it does get them under the salary cap, so there's that.

Unless Crosby comes with Simon he’s barely worth a 3rd round pick
Eli liked this.
Sep. 3, 2019 at 12:56 p.m.
Who adds what?

So.... Pettersson played with guys more than twice as good as Orpik and Siegenthaler were last year? The guys Djoos played with? Oh. That explains the differences in numbers pretty well, actually.

Boyd kills more than twice as many penalties as the other three guys in this offer, put together, and I don't think the Caps should trade him. They're one of the most penalized teams in the league. They signed some penalty killers over the summer, sure. They also signed a goon to take more penalties, in Hathaway, and they might call up more goons like O'Brien, Williams, and Lewington. Fans love 'em. Boyd stays, if they're thinking playoffs.

Djoos could play top pair this year and be fine, but his 1.4M arbitration award makes him expendable. If the Penguins would be better off with that than with either of Simon or Pettersson, moving Djoos could help the Caps get under the cap. Late last night, I read a site that falsely claimed Simon plays center, and I thought that made Simon more valuable, because it would be cool for Washington to add a Czech speaking center to play with Vrana and Panik. But Simon has taken less than 30 faceoffs in two seasons, and lost two out of three, so he's looking like a wing, at this point. Don't see Washington needing him.

Djoos on a cheap contract plays hockey this fall in Pittsburgh while Pettersson holds out until the last possible minute in Washington, hoping cap space opens up for them to pay him anything over a million? That could be win-win.
Sep. 3, 2019 at 1:36 p.m.
This thread proves one thing: These teams are rivals...

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll