my take on Laine- Winni Yes or No

Created by: TheDuminator
Team: 2019-20 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 5, 2019
Published: Sep. 5, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Explanation on why we can afford this trade:
Suzuki & Belzile would be next to jump up RW... followed by Caufield next season and move back Suzuki to Center.
Evans & Teasdale 3-4 C depth in 1-2 years
Brook & Fleury would replace easily Juulsen next RD.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$9,000,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Laine, Patrik [RFA Rights]
WPG
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$76,830,476$0$2,500,000$4,669,524
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$9,000,000$9,000,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$748,333$748,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 7
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 7
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 5, 2019 at 11:32 a.m.
What in tarnation
Swap Tatar to Drouin and I'd most likely take it.
Sep. 5, 2019 at 11:34 a.m.
Banned
Need to have Drouin in that trade for it to be realistic
Sep. 5, 2019 at 11:39 a.m.
This is better than most of the Laine to Habs trades i have seen at least.

If i’m Chevy and i decide to trade him. Flyers are my first call. Beyond that with Habs i ask for Domi/Romanov or Drouin/Poehling/Romanov.
Sep. 5, 2019 at 11:40 a.m.
Quoting: BurgerBoss
Swap Tatar to Drouin and I'd most likely take it.

Quoting: SouthHockey29

Im surprised by the amount of people who think Drouin is the player the Jets would want as the main piece in any Laine deal. If that's the case and MB gets over the fact that he's the hometown kid here, I think a deal can most definitely get done. I just don't see it though.

In reality I think any Laine deal to Montreal has to be for Domi. Even if it would end up being 1 vs 1, He's the player that makes the most sense on all levels for both teams. (Realistically)
Sep. 5, 2019 at 11:45 a.m.
Swap out Poehling for Suzuki and I pull the trigger as a habs fan
TheDuminator liked this.
Sep. 5, 2019 at 11:48 a.m.
HabsFan
Quoting: SouthHockey29

I don't think Chevy would want Drouin... as they already have similare player in Ehlers (skill soft player... high risk no shoulder)
Skill & Goal make a fit with Tatar
and proven NHL ready player in Poe (better than Roslovic) & Juul (who could take minute in case Niku is not fully ready)
Sep. 5, 2019 at 11:49 a.m.
HabsFan
Quoting: Howyoudrouinnn
Swap out Poehling for Suzuki and I pull the trigger as a habs fan

I would to as a Hab fan... but Chevy need a big-C for long term stability as Roslovic didn't succeed yet as a C and can play on the wings.
Sep. 5, 2019 at 11:50 a.m.
HabsFan
Quoting: F50marco
Im surprised by the amount of people who think Drouin is the player the Jets would want as the main piece in any Laine deal. If that's the case and MB gets over the fact that he's the hometown kid here, I think a deal can most definitely get done. I just don't see it though.

In reality I think any Laine deal to Montreal has to be for Domi. Even if it would end up being 1 vs 1, He's the player that makes the most sense on all levels for both teams. (Realistically)

Domi is where Gally was one year ago... untouchable!
I think NOW if habs get a good offer for Gally... they will start listening. (but I would keep both!)
Sep. 5, 2019 at 11:51 a.m.
Biased Opinion

I respectfully disagree on a Domi for Laine 1 for 1. I could see Domi replacing Tatar in the package above but Habs fans would likely hate it. Lots of recency bias in both players values, Domi just had a great season and Laine had (by his standards) a poor one. If you look at the last 2-3 seasons Laine is worth far more
SociallyHawkward and bunzy1034 liked this.
Sep. 5, 2019 at 11:57 a.m.
Subbanator
you might as well just offer sheet him at this price. Offer sheet would be 2 first round picks, a 2nd round and a 3rd, which is less then this.
Sep. 5, 2019 at 12:09 p.m.
Quoting: Barbs
I respectfully disagree on a Domi for Laine 1 for 1. I could see Domi replacing Tatar in the package above but Habs fans would likely hate it. Lots of recency bias in both players values, Domi just had a great season and Laine had (by his standards) a poor one. If you look at the last 2-3 seasons Laine is worth far more

I only meant even if it was 1 vs 1. It could be a little more the point was Domi is the guy that makes sense for WPG.
Barbs and bunzy1034 liked this.
Sep. 5, 2019 at 12:12 p.m.
Quoting: DomCholette
Domi is where Gally was one year ago... untouchable!
I think NOW if habs get a good offer for Gally... they will start listening. (but I would keep both!)

And Laine isn't? Every players has a value. I'd trade Gally in two seconds if it truly was for players and assets that made this team better. Same goes for Domi. The only players that are as untouchable as can be are the players on ELC's that are already elite players. Other than a ridiculous overpay, there's almost nothing a team can offer realistically that would make sense for both teams.
Gofnut999 and TheDuminator liked this.
Sep. 5, 2019 at 12:16 p.m.
And Laine isn't? Every players has a value. I'd trade Gally in two seconds if it truly was for players and assets that made this team better. Same goes for Domi. The only players that are as untouchable as can be are the players on ELC's that are already elite players. Other than a ridiculous overpay, there's almost nothing a team can offer realistically that would make sense for both teams.

85% of fans are only willing to make trades if it’s 50-75 cents on the dollar and they don’t have to give up anything that hurts a little.

Thank you for being reasonable and realistic.
Sep. 5, 2019 at 12:28 p.m.
Quoting: Gofnut999
85% of fans are only willing to make trades if it’s 50-75 cents on the dollar and they don’t have to give up anything that hurts a little.

Thank you for being reasonable and realistic.

This.

They choose the players in order of how much they can afford to lose them, drawing a line at players they feel would make the trade fair pretty much. I don't want to lose Domi. I really like him and he was lights out good last year for the Habs. That's precisely why WPG would want him though. Along with other reasons.

And your welcome. awesome face
Gofnut999 liked this.
Sep. 5, 2019 at 1:09 p.m.

I mean value has a lot to do with perception. WPG shouldn't even be entertaining deals for Laine but since they are, the perception from other teams is that there is something's to consider with adding him. With that, it makes the price people would be willing to offer probably less than what should be at.

I think from most Habs fans perception, losing Domi along with Poehling, Juulsen and a 1st almost defeats the benefit of adding Laine. Frankly, Domi, Poehling, Juulsen and a 1st is more expensive than straight up offering sheeting Laine at the highest compensation. So I'm not sure one can make a case for that being reasonable.
Sep. 5, 2019 at 1:19 p.m.
Biased Opinion
I mean value has a lot to do with perception. WPG shouldn't even be entertaining deals for Laine but since they are, the perception from other teams is that there is something's to consider with adding him. With that, it makes the price people would be willing to offer probably less than what should be at.

I think from most Habs fans perception, losing Domi along with Poehling, Juulsen and a 1st almost defeats the benefit of adding Laine. Frankly, Domi, Poehling, Juulsen and a 1st is more expensive than straight up offering sheeting Laine at the highest compensation. So I'm not sure one can make a case for that being reasonable.

I think it depends on how you value Poehling and Juulsen. Quality prospects for sure but Poehling's value is probably a little inflated right now (did you know he was scoring at a 246 goal pace last season?!). I'm a little more pessimistic on their ceiling and the idea of 4 mystery boxes with an unlimited ceiling might be more enticing than those 2 known (but not fully known) commodities. It also depends on how you view MTL. If you think they might suddenly implode due to a Carey Price injury or something along those lines Winnipeg may prefer the 4 first round picks
Sep. 5, 2019 at 2:13 p.m.
I think it depends on how you value Poehling and Juulsen. Quality prospects for sure but Poehling's value is probably a little inflated right now (did you know he was scoring at a 246 goal pace last season?!). I'm a little more pessimistic on their ceiling and the idea of 4 mystery boxes with an unlimited ceiling might be more enticing than those 2 known (but not fully known) commodities. It also depends on how you view MTL. If you think they might suddenly implode due to a Carey Price injury or something along those lines Winnipeg may prefer the 4 first round picks

I think if your comparing Juulsen and Poehling equally, you may not be seeing them enough. Juulsen has much less value as a prospect than Poehling does. The 246 goal pace is funny and all but then you remember that he is a former 1st round pick and lead the WJHC is scoring. Its not like this is 1 game everyone is exaggerating on. He may not be elite like a Hughes or Kakko but then again, I don't think anyone would trade one of those guys for Laine straight up right now either.
Sep. 5, 2019 at 2:19 p.m.
Biased Opinion
I think if your comparing Juulsen and Poehling equally, you may not be seeing them enough. Juulsen has much less value as a prospect than Poehling does. The 246 goal pace is funny and all but then you remember that he is a former 1st round pick and lead the WJHC is scoring. Its not like this is 1 game everyone is exaggerating on. He may not be elite like a Hughes or Kakko but then again, I don't think anyone would trade one of those guys for Laine straight up right now either.

I agree that Poehling is valued more than Juulsen. I agree that Poehling has great potential but if I were to compare his ceiling to Laine's (in terms of offense), in his prime, Poehling probably won't put up the numbers Laine has already done before turning 21 years old. I could see Poehling being an above average 2nd line C which is good. Laine should be top 10 in goals every season moving forward which is elite.
Sep. 5, 2019 at 4:47 p.m.
I agree that Poehling is valued more than Juulsen. I agree that Poehling has great potential but if I were to compare his ceiling to Laine's (in terms of offense), in his prime, Poehling probably won't put up the numbers Laine has already done before turning 21 years old. I could see Poehling being an above average 2nd line C which is good. Laine should be top 10 in goals every season moving forward which is elite.

Then why even entertain moving him? Would Toronto entertain moving Matthews? Edm with McDavid?

The answer to that is because there's more to the game than just goal scoring and his game away from goal scoring has many blemishes which need to be corrected. That's the only reason he's supposedly available. Had he not, there would be no reason for WPG to not just hand him the 11M*5 years right now.
Sep. 6, 2019 at 8:00 a.m.
Biased Opinion
Then why even entertain moving him? Would Toronto entertain moving Matthews? Edm with McDavid?

The answer to that is because there's more to the game than just goal scoring and his game away from goal scoring has many blemishes which need to be corrected. That's the only reason he's supposedly available. Had he not, there would be no reason for WPG to not just hand him the 11M*5 years right now.

Well there's a salary cap right? He's elite but they want to surround him with the most talent possible. These rumours are probably just a negotiating tactic to bring the AAV down. If I were the Jets, I'd be spreading rumours that they were considering trading him to *thinks of worst destination possible* Ottawa or somewhere else horrible.

There's no harm in listening to trade calls either since there's no untouchable in hockey. Toronto would trade Matthews in a heartbeat if it was for McDavid. Edmonton would trade McDavid to Toronto for Matthews, Marner and Nylander. Just depends if a GM is willing to pay the very high price for elite talent. I'm just arguing that the price shown above isn't high enough for someone of Laine's caliber.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll