SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Patrick Marleau Situation

Sep. 6, 2019 at 2:19 a.m.
Anyone have any good insights into why SJS and Marleau have decided to part ways? I would think he'd still be capable of 15-20G in a middle six role and he wouldn't cost much at all. So why bring Jumbo back (assuming they do re-sign Jumbo) and not Marleau?

Do you think Marleau will sign elsewhere? if so, where's a good fit? How much will it cost to sign him? What sort of production is he still capable of? You'd have to think he wants to sign w/ a playoff contender, right? Will he retire? Is he a HOF'er?

Here are a few possible landing spots for Marleau (taking cap space into account):

1. CAR
2. NYI
3. MTL
4. NSH
5. CHI

Right now, I think he'd choose NSH, but that's pure speculation on my part. I could see him slotting into a 3rd line/2nd PP role w/ the Preds. They have about $13M in cap space and he'd probably have an excellent chance to make one last effort to win the Cup.
Sep. 6, 2019 at 5:59 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Not Carolina ... he didn't want to play there.
Sep. 6, 2019 at 11:30 a.m.
He wants to be close to his family, so none of the teams that you mentioned. If I was a GM I'm not signing him for his production and for anything more than 1M AAV. I can see a team like Arizona being a good fit. Up and coming young team, west coast, and can make a run if healthy.
Sep. 6, 2019 at 3:20 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
He can't play in Carolina according to the CBA. Because Carolina bought out his contract, he can't sign a new one with them. I think the Preds are a pretty good fit for him hockey wise, as he can slot in to their third line comfortably (unless Tolvanen proves to be ready for that role)
Brian2016 liked this.
Sep. 6, 2019 at 3:32 p.m.
Quoting: prc
He wants to be close to his family, so none of the teams that you mentioned. If I was a GM I'm not signing him for his production and for anything more than 1M AAV. I can see a team like Arizona being a good fit. Up and coming young team, west coast, and can make a run if healthy.

ARI doesn't have the cap space right now, so they'd have to move some pieces around. I'm sure he wants to be close to family, but that didn't keep him from going to TOR. NSH seems like the best fit in my opinion.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll