Forums/Armchair-GM

hopeful lines

Created by: pharrow
Team: 2019-20 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 6, 2019
Published: Sep. 6, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
At 1.6M simply moving JJ to WBS fits everyone under the cap. No moves need to be made. It's also the right cap hit on a 2 year deal. If they sign him longer term it costs more obviously, but the retain control after 2 years so no big deal.
I don't see them holding Blueger back anymore. He's a good player and they don't need to make another Sundqvist mistake. The truth is, playing him at 4C is a waste of his talent. But the same can be said about Jugs too!
Those top 3 lines are fast. The 4th is a banger line. Angelo brings good size and physical play. My honest belief is he will fit in nicely as a 4C.
I see this as being where the team is this season, if not the start soon after. They need cap space for next year. Horny has a NTC, if they could trade him I would at this point. Not that he's not a good player, he just isn't fit for the up tempo game they want to play. They have cheaper options for that 4th line and a list of younger players that will want a crack at a spot. ZAR could take that RW spot and Bjorkqvist could take the LW for example.
They do need to find a LD, but right now, that isn't really an option for multiple reasons. A. there isn't anyone worth signing, and B. cap space and C. Roster spots. If they move out JJ and Jugs maybe that happens. Of course maybe they trade for someone. I really think this team is hoping a prospect comes into the 3LD role.
I have a feeling someone might nab JJ on waivers. Injuries hit teams hard and a team needing a LD might decide it's worth it. Especially if they don't see themselves as "in the hunt" and he costs them nothing. He would fit cap wise with this move I only move him down there to show the cap. If you dothe quick math you see Jugs and Angelo back in WBS = under the cap.
Maybe they can trade Jugs for a young LD. Who knows. I really think that is the play I'd like to see at this point.
While I have Simon as the 13th skater, I think Kasper or Almida might get the call up by mid season to be the LW if anyone gets injured.
This team has a fair amount of depth in WBS. More than enough to win. The real question is how much of it do they allow to play.
If this team isn't making the playoffs, it's because they died on the top 2 lines. But looking at the speed on this team, I think they are going to cruise.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,600,000
Trades
PIT
    Not sure where he goes or if JJ is attached in this move, nor do I know what the return would be. However, I really think the Penguins have the depth here. Blueger is better than a 4C. Jugs simply blocks his path at this point. Jugs isn't goint to be a 4C. He's better than that. So that kind of makes him the odd person out. The trade doesn't need to happen, everything fits if it doesn't happen. But I see this as necessary for player development.
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$76,716,250$132,500$2,850,000$4,783,750
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 5
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $4,900,000$4,900,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
    LW, RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 6
    $750,000$750,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $833,750$833,750
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    RW
    NTC
    UFA - 4
    $750,000$750,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $7,250,000$7,250,000
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 3
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $1,600,000$1,600,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $850,000$850,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    RD
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Sep. 6, 2019 at 6:12 a.m.
    Blueger didn't play more than like 3-4 games as a 2/3C last year... He played well on the 4th line I don't get moving him up, and Adam Johnson>Angelo in my (very biased) opinion
    Sep. 6, 2019 at 6:25 a.m.
    I know Angello is a natural center but he also mostly played RW last year. Doubt he's NHL ready. If Bjugstad is moved, they can just get another cheap C in return. And just like @AFOX10900 said, Blueger would play 4C now.
    Sep. 6, 2019 at 6:41 a.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: AFOX10900
    Blueger didn't play more than like 3-4 games as a 2/3C last year... He played well on the 4th line I don't get moving him up, and Adam Johnson>Angelo in my (very biased) opinion

He has constantly held his own against high level competition. His play on the international stage has shown he's ready for a larger role. They can't deny that at this point, they been holding him back in wbs for years.
    Like I said, they made the mistake with Sundqvist, and that turned out to be awful move for the team. They need to avoid that here. If you watched him last year, you know he's way to talented to be on the 4th line. If you look at their 5v5 stats last year, not only does it not justify a 4 million salary over Blueger, but they are very close to being even. Bluegers stats are a little lower, but he got mostly 4th line minutes last year.
    On top of it, he's a much faster player than Jugs. This is a team that want's to play with speed.
    You add on top of it the need for cap space and this makes too much sense.
    I like Jugs, I think he's a good player. But I think they do more damage holding Blueger back for him. Especially when you got another large body center to play the 4C and Nikita coming into the organization next year who should be given a long look at 4C as well.
    You got to improve where you can, and I think this is how you get there.
    Sep. 6, 2019 at 6:46 a.m.
    Quoting: pharrow
    He has constantly held his own against high level competition. His play on the international stage has shown he's ready for a larger role. They can't deny that at this point, they been holding him back in wbs for years.
    Like I said, they made the mistake with Sundqvist, and that turned out to be awful move for the team. They need to avoid that here. If you watched him last year, you know he's way to talented to be on the 4th line. If you look at their 5v5 stats last year, not only does it not justify a 4 million salary over Blueger, but they are very close to being even. Bluegers stats are a little lower, but he got mostly 4th line minutes last year.
    On top of it, he's a much faster player than Jugs. This is a team that want's to play with speed.
    I like Jugs, I think he's a good player. But I think they do more damage holding Blueger back for him. Especially when you got another large body center to play the 4C and Nikita coming into the organization next year who should be given a long look at 4C as well.

Yes I agree, except I would trade away Bjugs that quicky just due to blueger's short sample size... No matter how good it was
    Sep. 6, 2019 at 9:07 a.m.
    Joe

You act like he is this experienced C with 200 games under his belt. Its just not the case. We all want him to be good and be able to play 3rd line, you just don't know yet, he has 28 ****ing games and 5v5CF% of 48.21, not great but not terrible. If he is good enough, he should have above 50% even while playing with and against 4th line comp, thats just a fact, he should be driving play.

HYPOTHETICAL:
    So you trade bjug, then inevitably, sid or geno goes down for 10 games. You want Teddy ****ing Bluegar manning your second line with something like less than 50 NHL games. Thats asinine to do something to let that happen just from one injury.

Penguins have success being strong down the middle. Don't thin it anymore than it needs to be.
    Sep. 6, 2019 at 10:33 a.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Joecool2931
    You act like he is this experienced C with 200 games under his belt. Its just not the case. We all want him to be good and be able to play 3rd line, you just don't know yet, he has 28 ****ing games and 5v5CF% of 48.21, not great but not terrible. If he is good enough, he should have above 50% even while playing with and against 4th line comp, thats just a fact, he should be driving play.

HYPOTHETICAL:
    So you trade bjug, then inevitably, sid or geno goes down for 10 games. You want Teddy ****ing Bluegar manning your second line with something like less than 50 NHL games. Thats asinine to do something to let that happen just from one injury.

Penguins have success being strong down the middle. Don't thin it anymore than it needs to be.

it's not 20 games. it's been years of watching him play at both the international level and WBS. You don't watch hockey.
    They guy was matched up with McDavid in Worlds and held his own. I'm not saying his McDavid but he's got skill. More than enough to hold his own. They did this with Sundqvist. They found every excuse in the world and sent him packing or keep him in WBS. What a mistake. Don't repeat it. They been keeping him down and WBS rotting. Anyone paying attention knows he's going to be a solid 3C.
    Sep. 6, 2019 at 11:14 a.m.
    Joe
    it's not 20 games. it's been years of watching him play at both the international level and WBS. You don't watch hockey.
    They guy was matched up with McDavid in Worlds and held his own. I'm not saying his McDavid but he's got skill. More than enough to hold his own. They did this with Sundqvist. They found every excuse in the world and sent him packing or keep him in WBS. What a mistake. Don't repeat it. They been keeping him down and WBS rotting. Anyone paying attention knows he's going to be a solid 3C.

Dude youre living in a fantasy land. Come back to reality and realize not all prospects are great. I admit i think from the 28 games on the 4th line this year, i was impressed, When there is inevitably an injury, i am excited to see him on the 3rd line so that hopefully next year he can handle the 3rd. But dont pretend his 20 INT games with 9 pts and a -5 in 3 years is "holding your own".

We should be trying to get deeper down the middle, not trade away C's. If Teddy plays 4 C we are in a good spot with C depth. And if he shines, maybe, look at a trade mid season. But absolutely not before the season starts. But still that would leave us with **** at 4C , so I think no, not at any pt this year should be get rid of Bjugs.
    Sep. 7, 2019 at 2:26 a.m.
    Banned
    Dude youre living in a fantasy land. Come back to reality and realize not all prospects are great. I admit i think from the 28 games on the 4th line this year, i was impressed, When there is inevitably an injury, i am excited to see him on the 3rd line so that hopefully next year he can handle the 3rd. But dont pretend his 20 INT games with 9 pts and a -5 in 3 years is "holding your own".

We should be trying to get deeper down the middle, not trade away C's. If Teddy plays 4 C we are in a good spot with C depth. And if he shines, maybe, look at a trade mid season. But absolutely not before the season starts. But still that would leave us with **** at 4C , so I think no, not at any pt this year should be get rid of Bjugs.

dude he's not a prospect anymore. He's 25 and in his peek playing years. **** or get off the pot.
    People like you are how the team gave up Sundqvist and then struggled with a 3C
    Sep. 10, 2019 at 8:38 a.m.
    Joe
    dude he's not a prospect anymore. He's 25 and in his peek playing years. **** or get off the pot.
    People like you are how the team gave up Sundqvist and then struggled with a 3C

And in his Prime, he isn't as good as Bjug, and isn't even a sure NHL player(because he only has 28 ****ing games), let alone a guaranteed "solid" 3rd line center. hes had 7 years to prove that he was ready, why hasn't he been called up before?

He had a CF% of 47.84. So he couldn't drive possession against 4th line players, that he is percieved to be better than. He had a GF% of 62.5 which is great, but can easily be explained by a PDO of 1.038.

Bjug is replaceable, but not with unproven AHLers.
    Sep. 10, 2019 at 9:29 a.m.
    Banned
    And in his Prime, he isn't as good as Bjug, and isn't even a sure NHL player(because he only has 28 ****ing games), let alone a guaranteed "solid" 3rd line center. hes had 7 years to prove that he was ready, why hasn't he been called up before?

He had a CF% of 47.84. So he couldn't drive possession against 4th line players, that he is percieved to be better than. He had a GF% of 62.5 which is great, but can easily be explained by a PDO of 1.038.

Bjug is replaceable, but not with unproven AHLers.

I really hate to break this to you, but he has NHL level talent. Just hasn't been given that chance. Asking why not is like asking why did we sign Hunwick and then JJ. Why did they trade Sundqvist and then go with Greg McKegg?
    Clearly there have been mistakes here. No need to make another. If they need cap space, and can't trade JJ. Than this is the best way to do it. I like jugs, but he's not that good. He's an average 3C.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll