SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Winnipeg Jets signed Eric Comrie (2 Years / $700,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 7, 2019 at 11:25 a.m.
Eric Comrie has signed a new contract with the Winnipeg Jets.
Standard Contract
Comparable ContractsCOMPARE THIS CONTRACT
Length: 2 years
Value: $1,400,000
Expiry Status: UFA (Group 6)
Cap % Tooltip: 0.86
Signing Team: Logo of the Winnipeg JetsWinnipeg Jets
Signing Date: Sep. 7, 2019

Eric Comrie signed a 2 year, $1,400,000 contract with the Winnipeg Jets on Sep. 7, 2019. The contract has a cap hit of $700,000.

SEASONClauseCap HitTooltipAAV TooltipP. BonusesTooltipS. BonusesTooltipBase SalaryTooltipTotal SalaryTooltipMinors SalTooltip
2019-20$700,000$700,000$0$0$700,000$700,000$200,000
2020-21$700,000$700,000$0$0$700,000$700,000$700,000
TOTAL$1,400,000$1,400,000$0$0$1,400,000$1,400,000$900,000
MINIMUM GUARANTEED SALARY: 2019-20: $250,000
Sep. 7, 2019 at 11:30 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Totally misread this the first time and thought Connor had taken the discount of the century to keep the team together.
toque and SpaghettiPasta liked this.
Sep. 7, 2019 at 11:39 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Should I make a how many times “the RFA the Jets needed to sign” comment counter?
Rangsey and Rooney liked this.
Sep. 7, 2019 at 1:05 p.m.
AwesomeMatthews
Greedy, Selfish Laine
Sep. 7, 2019 at 1:30 p.m.
I was certain WPG would go 2y to reduce the chance of Comrie being nabbed on waivers (the commitment scares teams off who otherwise would grab a goalie). He’s one of the top-3 goalies likely to be available via waivers - and other than Chad Johnson there isn’t any goalies otherwise available (so there’s basically none available) - so the waiver wire for goalies will be busy at the end of this month.

I think going 1-way for Y1 as well as Y2 - or making the cap hit closer to $1M - would have further added a disincentive for teams to nab Comrie.

Between Comrie, Stolarz, Pickard, and McElhinney/Domingue at least 2 or 3 are gonna get picked up on waivers. There could def be a goalie shuffle soon
Sep. 7, 2019 at 9:44 p.m.
GoJetsGo
Great move to get him locked down for multiple years this cheap. He could easily be a full time backup in a year if Brossoit leaves.
Sep. 7, 2019 at 9:47 p.m.
Go Boltz! & Go Avs!
Quoting: rebecca

Between McElhinney/Domingue at least 2 or 3 are gonna get picked up on waivers. There could def be a goalie shuffle soon

Tampa Bay Lightning is keeping McElhinney, our GM said it multiple times, he is our backup goalie for next season.
Best goalie duo in NHL with Vasi. Together with a strong D core should work well.
I'm hoping for under 2.25 GAA at end of the year. To prepare for playoffs this time.
We know that scoring 4-5 goals in the playoffs is not gonna happen... unlike in regular season...

So bye-bye Domingue.. i liked him... but that's life...
He played good for us last year, but no doubt we improved at Goalie position with McElhinney cool

Am i the only one who thinks, that Winnipeg will trade Laine for a good package?Huh?

It will be interesting what kind of contract he will get, if he stays in Winnipeg... i suspect it's not gonna be a good one... (not good for Laine) grimace
Sep. 9, 2019 at 10:59 a.m.
Good deal for the Jets. If he clears waivers the Jets will have a league min goalie for next season and if not whatever team that grabs him will have a dirt cheap backup for next year.
Sep. 9, 2019 at 1:30 p.m.
Quoting: F3ruS
Tampa Bay Lightning is keeping McElhinney, our GM said it multiple times, he is our backup goalie for next season.
Best goalie duo in NHL with Vasi. Together with a strong D core should work well.
I'm hoping for under 2.25 GAA at end of the year. To prepare for playoffs this time.
We know that scoring 4-5 goals in the playoffs is not gonna happen... unlike in regular season...

So bye-bye Domingue.. i liked him... but that's life...
He played good for us last year, but no doubt we improved at Goalie position with McElhinney cool

Am i the only one who thinks, that Winnipeg will trade Laine for a good package?Huh?

It will be interesting what kind of contract he will get, if he stays in Winnipeg... i suspect it's not gonna be a good one... (not good for Laine) grimace

For sure, I have heard the same things - but it’s not over til it’s over. McElhinney isn’t a spring chicken and he could have aged 5y in one summer and they change their minds.

But that’s aside the point. The central thrust is that TB, and several other teams (including WPG with Comrie), will have at least solid replacement level to halfway decent back-ups as their 3rd goalies and who will go thru waivers. Some will be picked up to be sure.
Rather than lose them for nothing, I anticipate teams like TBL and maybe even WPG getting deals in place before that happens.

WRT to your Laine hypothesis - I highly doubt a trade is going to happen this summer. Closer to the end of his next contract (like with Trouba)? Getting warmer. I reckon, in fact I’m almost certain, that Laine will be locked up on a 2y or 3y bridge deal with an AAV in the 5.5M to 7.0M range (higher for the extra year). After last season there’s a lot of questions and likely some variance between how much money he wants and how much he will be able to get. Conner could also go the bridge route but my money is on him signing for 6y.
Sep. 10, 2019 at 8:51 p.m.
Go Boltz! & Go Avs!
Edited Sep. 10, 2019 at 10:48 p.m.

I highly doubt a trade is going to happen this summer. Closer to the end of his next contract (like with Trouba)? Getting warmer. I reckon, in fact I’m almost certain, that Laine will be locked up on a 2y or 3y bridge deal with an AAV in the 5.5M to 7.0M range (higher for the extra year). After last season there’s a lot of questions and likely some variance between how much money he wants and how much he will be able to get.

What do you think about adavanced stats 5v5:
Offense:
lainepa98

With Laine the team is: -13% ( i think he had only 1 good month last year(november), then 9 goals in the 57 games from December to April.)
Without Laine the team is: -2%

Difference: -11% offense = really bad compared to league average and other teammates

Explanation on offense:
+ number = good
- number = bad

Defense:
lainepa98

With Laine the team is: +14% cry cry cry
Without Laine the team is: -1%

Difference: +15% defense = crazy super bad compared to league average and other teammates

Explanation on defense:
+ number = bad
- number = good

Another type of adv stat(under 50 it's bad):
CF% = 46.2

The eyetest also doesn't lie, together with the -24 on the plus-minus chart, and the lack of defensive effort on his side. These stats are close to Ristolainen level of stats...
I just think he would fit for the East a lot much better(maybe with some other finnish teammates as well), then on the west, where things are much more physical and defensive oriented.
Yes, the 40-40-30 goals 3 seasons are really amazing, but are goals enough in today's NHL? I mean i heard he was semi-injured in the last season, and maybe that's why he couldn't bring his game to the next level. So i would not be surprised on a bridge deal, but last time i heard:
Winnipeg Jets want long term(6+years)-small money and Laine doesn't want long-term contract nor small money = He wants short term + big money together, which is impossible imo in the current cap situation for Winnipeg to offer...
So Winnipeg willing to risk a short-term-big money contract?
8 million $ @ 3 years and banking on the fact that next 3 years he will at least once put up some positive signs( = big improvements, which will be minus numbers on the pictures i linked)) on the defensive side on the ice.
We know he will get his goals in next 3 years, thats not the problem. But in playoffs, scoring goals value is decreasing(less powerplays, more video analysis on his shot by goalies, better defense on other teams+ goalies etc...)
I think his trade value is still insanely high and i can see some teams, which will overpay to get him and risk the long contract.
That would be super benefecial for winnipeg = more chance to win the stanley cup in the long run...

Also will Laine ever agree on a 6 million $ @ 3 years contract, because i highly doubt he will. 5.5 mill $? No way, even though i think that would be a fair price based on his performance.
Stralman got 5.5 mill $ contract @ 3 years.
Is Laine really saying to himself: "I worth as much as Stralman, an aging old defender, who most of the time injured...
...So i just take this 5.5 mill $ contract and prove it in next 3 years that i worth 10mill - 11 mill+ $."
I just don't see this happening. I know Stralman got overpaid, but why Laine shouldn't think he should get overpaid as well? He is young, scoring a lot of goals etc...

I think his agent looking at the Skinner contract to be honest... Not in the 5.5 mill - 6 mill $ range at all. You get what i'm saying?
Skinner got with his 2nd contract = 5.7 million $ @ 6 years, almost 10% of the 2012 caphit!
That's a lot closer to 8 million $, and currently it looks like trends also shifted because players want to get paid even at their 2nd contract! Their stats looked extremely smilair in points per game 2 years for skinner and 3 years for laine 0.8 ppg... So how is he accepting around 6 million $.... no way...
Probably the biggest difference on remaining RFA's demand and offer: Laine and Winnipeg.

Do you remember what Aho did? Carolina Hurricanes lowballed him for lots of months with like a long-term 6 million $ offer and they never increased it... he decided to sign the offersheet the first minute possible... for only 8.5 mill $...
Why? Becasue he saw if they're offering 6 million $ to him, he will never even get 8 million $, so 8.5 mill $ is a dream scenario for him(compared to 6), and he also knew with his agent 100% that Carolina will match it in 10 minutes...
He also knew Carolina would never even think about offering him 10 million $, so 8.5 million $ actually a good deal for him...

Maybe 6.5 million $ @ 1 year, hmm , but then next year his price could be even more insane, if he puts up his best season ever... So that's not good for Winnipeg again...

If i'm Winnipeg GM, im also going for 6+ years & small money route or another option is trade. With a small bridge deal, only Laine will win, and the Jets might not even make the playoff next year...

6.5 - 7 million $ @ 2 years would make a lot of sense. But then again, that's a win for Laine... But maybe last minute winnipeg GM says "YES" to that type of deal... maybe... or holdout until december 1.(it worked out for Nylander hahaaa tears of joy)
So yeah i can see right now 7 million $ contract @ 1-3 years or trade... so trade seems still a viable option... but maybe thats just me... and winnipeg will pay him the big bucks at the end...

For fun, EW Contract Projections: 2019 - Laine:
7.1 million $ @ 7 years with a 27% chance... hahahaa happy
7.5 million $ @ 6 years with a 24% chance : better but still no way Laine says yes to this...
5 million $ @ 2 years with a 10% chance : uhummm tears of joy

Connor: Based on Ehlers, and he is better than Ehlers, can't see him signing for less than 7.5-8 mill+ $ if its @ 6 years = long term...

Laine: Based on all above, my prediction for Laine, if not traded: 7.66 million $ @ 3 years

Imo Laine is more interesting right now, than the Marner "case" wink
Sep. 11, 2019 at 12:54 p.m.
Canes Baby
Offense:
lainepa98

With Laine the team is: -13% ( i think he had only 1 good month last year(november), then 9 goals in the 57 games from December to April.)

Difference: -11% offense = really bad compared to league average and other teammates

Explanation on offense:
+ number = good
- number = bad

Defense:
lainepa98

Difference: +15% defense = crazy super bad compared to league average and other teammates

Explanation on defense:
+ number = bad
- number = good

CF% = 46.2

The eyetest also doesn't lie, together with the -24 on the plus-minus chart, and the lack of defensive effort on his side. These stats are close to Ristolainen level of stats...
I just think he would fit for the East a lot much better(maybe with some other finnish teammates as well), then on the west, where things are much more physical and defensive oriented.
Yes, the 40-40-30 goals 3 seasons are really amazing, but are goals enough in today's NHL? I mean i heard he was semi-injured in the last season, and maybe that's why he couldn't bring his game to the next level. So i would not be surprised on a bridge deal, but last time i heard:
Winnipeg Jets want long term(6+years)-small money and Laine doesn't want long-term contract nor small money = He wants short term + big money together, which is impossible imo in the current cap situation for Winnipeg to offer...
8 million $ @ 3 years and banking on the fact that next 3 years he will at least once put up some positive signs( = big improvements, which will be minus numbers on the pictures i linked)) on the defensive side on the ice.
We know he will get his goals in next 3 years, thats not the problem. But in playoffs, scoring goals value is decreasing(less powerplays, more video analysis on his shot by goalies, better defense on other teams+ goalies etc...)
I think his trade value is still insanely high and i can see some teams, which will overpay to get him and risk the long contract.
That would be super benefecial for winnipeg = more chance to win the stanley cup in the long run...

Also will Laine ever agree on a 6 million $ @ 3 years contract, because i highly doubt he will. 5.5 mill $? No way, even though i think that would be a fair price based on his performance.
Is Laine really saying to himself: "I worth as much as Stralman, an aging old defender, who most of the time injured...
...So i just take this 5.5 mill $ contract and prove it in next 3 years that i worth 10mill - 11 mill+ $."
I just don't see this happening. I know Stralman got overpaid, but why Laine shouldn't think he should get overpaid as well? He is young, scoring a lot of goals etc...

I think his agent looking at the Skinner contract to be honest... Not in the 5.5 mill - 6 mill $ range at all. You get what i'm saying?
Skinner got with his 2nd contract = 5.7 million $ @ 6 years, almost 10% of the 2012 caphit!
That's a lot closer to 8 million $, and currently it looks like trends also shifted because players want to get paid even at their 2nd contract! Their stats looked extremely smilair in points per game 2 years for skinner and 3 years for laine 0.8 ppg... So how is he accepting around 6 million $.... no way...
Probably the biggest difference on remaining RFA's demand and offer: Laine and Winnipeg.

Do you remember what Aho did? Carolina Hurricanes lowballed him for lots of months with like a long-term 6 million $ offer and they never increased it... he decided to sign the offersheet the first minute possible... for only 8.5 mill $...
Why? Becasue he saw if they're offering 6 million $ to him, he will never even get 8 million $, so 8.5 mill $ is a dream scenario for him(compared to 6), and he also knew with his agent 100% that Carolina will match it in 10 minutes...
He also knew Carolina would never even think about offering him 10 million $, so 8.5 million $ actually a good deal for him...

Maybe 6.5 million $ @ 1 year, hmm , but then next year his price could be even more insane, if he puts up his best season ever... So that's not good for Winnipeg again...

If i'm Winnipeg GM, im also going for 6+ years & small money route or another option is trade. With a small bridge deal, only Laine will win, and the Jets might not even make the playoff next year...

6.5 - 7 million $ @ 2 years would make a lot of sense. But then again, that's a win for Laine... But maybe last minute winnipeg GM says "YES" to that type of deal... maybe... or holdout until december 1.(it worked out for Nylander hahaaa tears of joy)
So yeah i can see right now 7 million $ contract @ 1-3 years or trade... so trade seems still a viable option... but maybe thats just me... and winnipeg will pay him the big bucks at the end...

7.5 million $ @ 6 years with a 24% chance : better but still no way Laine says yes to this...

Connor: Based on Ehlers, and he is better than Ehlers, can't see him signing for less than 7.5-8 mill+ $ if its @ 6 years = long term...

Laine: Based on all above, my prediction for Laine, if not traded: 7.66 million $ @ 3 years

I really hope you get a decent reply to this chapter book you wrote.
Sep. 11, 2019 at 11:22 p.m.
Offense:
lainepa98

Explanation on offense:
+ number = good
- number = bad

Defense:
lainepa98

Explanation on defense:
+ number = bad
- number = good

CF% = 46.2

Um, so the questions in there? Yes, Laine has significant deficiencies in his 5v5 play and also his consistency is a major issue. Some streakyness is okay - but averaging under 3 goals per month (as he did thru the last half of the season) isn’t gonna cut it. I don’t think he’s in the strongest position with a lot of the advanced data out there and the lack of an offer sheet to date likely shows his camp that he won’t be able to get what he wants. I agree that a 5.5 to 7.0M contract for 2-3y seems low, but he hasn’t proven himself as a full NHL player, aside from being able to score tonnes of goals in bunches. Thus far the negatives outweigh the positives and I can’t imagine Chevelldayoff or any other GM losing that discussion. In consideration of all that, a 2y show me deal for $6M would be more than fair and I’d be shocked if it goes above that in the 2y range, or $7M AAV in the 3y range. He can’t even threaten to leave as there’s no way he can make that much in Liiga or the KHL either so at some point soon - likely by the start of camp - they’ll cave and accept their offer.
Sep. 12, 2019 at 3:06 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Offense:
lainepa98

Explanation on offense:
+ number = good
- number = bad

Defense:
lainepa98

Explanation on defense:
+ number = bad
- number = good

CF% = 46.2

How did you make the time to write all this?!
Sep. 14, 2019 at 4:22 a.m.
Go Boltz! & Go Avs!
Edited Sep. 14, 2019 at 6:08 a.m.
Um, so the questions in there?

"TRADE" or "NO TRADE"? From Winnipeg Jets POV.

What do you think they should do?

Or what you would do, if you were the GM?

Currently i think Winnipeg = not making the playoffs with Connor + Laine. Let's just say 8 mill + 7 mill contracts...

So isn't it better for Winnipeg to trade Laine for multiple valuable pieces?
Then make the playoffs with those valuable pieces. (Because it will be an overpay from any team if they are trading him.)
Can be multiple solid defenders or picks, which they can trade for, like Faulk etc...

And be a contender.
Especially they need new solid defenders! Dustin is aging as well 34+ = regression. GAA 4.0 in playoffs ain't gonna net you a Stanley-cup...

So my main question was why make the team worse with a Laine contract, when you can get insane value for him and make your team better = playoffs success almost guaranteed and who knows what happen in the playoffs, when u have a solid team.
Currently i see Wininpeg = Less, than 1% chance to win the Stanley-Cup, same like Edmonton or Buffalo. But with trade i can see a world where they can make the playoffs and they can multiply their chances to like 1/16 = around 6%.
So 1% > 6%? I thought that's the GM's role, make the team better. And Laine ain't gonna make this team better for years... and who knows what player he will be by then...

Just look at their defense and compare it with latest Stanley-cup winner, St. Louis... Or teams like Nashville,Dallas ain't gonna allow more than 2.5 goals in playoffs...
So yeah, even if they make the playoffs, current rooster = not good for long-deep playoff run... with trade/trades it can change... so why not just do it?
Retool it's called i think, not rebuild, but they must do it, if they wanna keep their window open.(Wheeler's aging so not much more time even with the retool). But for at least 2 years Wheeler should be ok, even in playoffs...

TLDR: Defense is everything in playoffs: Winnipeg doesn't have a solid defense for playoff ---> trade Laine ---> get solid defense ---> cup window = open

Quoting: Goldninja0
How did you make the time to write all this?!

Haha, i always write too much... Sorry just don't read it, until Laine get's a contract. grimace
It's not that long to write, it goes smooth & fast, the edits are usually the harder part nod
Oct. 11, 2019 at 11:39 a.m.
Oilers Suck
THEY PUT HIM ON WAIVERS LOL

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit