Forums/Armchair-GM

Rookie Tournament thoughts

Created by: Claesson4Norris
Team: 2019-20 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 8, 2019
Published: Sep. 8, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Abramov: holy cow was this guy good. Got the hatty, and even when he wasn't creating offense he was buzzing around like a little pest all night. He showed he was able score in all sorts of situations; on the rush, dangles in close, and a net front tip. Despite being so small, he's really tenacious, and not afraid of going to the dirty areas to battle for the puck. Really impressed with him. I was sceptical of that acquisition, but he's really showing off what makes him special.

Formenton and Batherson: they had their moments offensively where they just took over, but where I was really surprised and impressed by how much they were able to impose themselves on the opposition physically. Batherson in particular was really cranking on dudes.

Kelly and Kastelic: speaking of cranking on dudes, these two were throwing the body around like nobody's business. Kelly was a full blown asshole tonight, and that's why I love him. He's going to carve out a nice little role in the NHL as a 3rd/4th line agitator and PK guy. Both players played really well on the PK, and I liked Kastelic well enough on PP1.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
3$925,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Todd, Nathan
1$700,000
Trepanier, Maxim
1$700,000
Capanelli, Adam
1$700,000
Aspirot, Jonathan
1$700,000
Gendron, Miles
1$700,000
McDonald, Conner
1$700,000
Welsh, Nicholas
1$700,000
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
18$81,500,000$48,858,331$0$2,460,000$32,641,669
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$747,500$747,500 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LW
RFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$710,000$710K)
C, LW
RFA - 2
$736,666$736,666 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$730,833$730,833 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LW
RFA - 2
$815,833$815,833
LW
RFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$726,667$726,667
LW
RFA - 3
$768,333$768,333 (Performance Bonus$65,000$65K)
RW
UFA - 2
Trepanier, Maxim
$700,000$700,000
$925,000$925,000
C, RW
RFA
Capanelli, Adam
$700,000$700,000
Todd, Nathan
$700,000$700,000
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$450,000$450K)
LD/RD, LW
RFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
RD
RFA
McDonald, Conner
$700,000$700,000
Welsh, Nicholas
$700,000$700,000
Aspirot, Jonathan
$700,000$700,000
Gendron, Miles
$700,000$700,000

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 8, 2019 at 12:15 p.m.
? San Jose Sharks ?
I think a lot of people really underestimated Abramov when the sens acquired him, thinking he wasn’t anything great. I see him being a quality 3rd line shooter at his worst for his nhl career.
Babar liked this.
Sep. 8, 2019 at 2:01 p.m.
Quoting: Ccc
I think a lot of people really underestimated Abramov when the sens acquired him, thinking he wasn’t anything great. I see him being a quality 3rd line shooter at his worst for his nhl career.

He didn't really have an impressive start to his pro career, and he's undersized, so a lot of fans (myself included) were sceptical about his skill game translating. He always found a lot of time and space in Junior, but with tighter coverage in pro hockey It looked like that could stymie his greatest asset. He's also a combination of two things Ottawa fans have very little experience with; he's Russian and he's an Undersized offensive forward. The sens don't really **** with either of those things.

The way he plays is super fascinating. He has some speed, and he's able to make plays in close without much room, but he's also really engaged without the puck and has no problem fighting for position in front of the net or fighting for the puck along the boards. Not really what you expect from a guy that small.

I still think he's going to have to work really hard to make it stick as an NHL player, but if he pans out he is going to be Good
Babar liked this.
Sep. 8, 2019 at 2:20 p.m.
? San Jose Sharks ?
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
He didn't really have an impressive start to his pro career, and he's undersized, so a lot of fans (myself included) were sceptical about his skill game translating. He always found a lot of time and space in Junior, but with tighter coverage in pro hockey It looked like that could stymie his greatest asset. He's also a combination of two things Ottawa fans have very little experience with; he's Russian and he's an Undersized offensive forward. The sens don't really **** with either of those things.

The way he plays is super fascinating. He has some speed, and he's able to make plays in close without much room, but he's also really engaged without the puck and has no problem fighting for position in front of the net or fighting for the puck along the boards. Not really what you expect from a guy that small.

I still think he's going to have to work really hard to make it stick as an NHL player, but if he pans out he is going to be Good

Lol Ottawa Russians is too true.

Itd be nice for Ottawa to get a few smaller guys like abramov (if he develops well).

A couple small wingers paired with brown and white and Tkachuk, who can really help create space. Plus it’s obvious for everyone involved with the sens; Formenton and Batherson are so ****ing exciting to have in your pipeline. Although I believe batherson will be the elite stud Ottawa wants him to be, I really like Formenton, if Tkachuk or white plays Center you could have Formenton- Tkachuk (Or white which is just as exciting)- Batherson; which is a dream line
Sep. 8, 2019 at 2:49 p.m.
Not a whole lot to say that you guys didn't cover, except maybe my surprise of Aspirot. Brannstrom was absolutely the star of the defence but I really liked Aspirot's game. He threw his body around quite a bit with Kelly and Kastelic, especially with the hit on Evans, and was pretty defensively sound from what I saw. It'll be hard for him to fit in with Ottawa, even in the future, having Chabot, Wolanin and Brannstrom (plus Lajoie if you want) on the left side but I can see him being a decent 7th D to fill out the bottom pairing when injuries rise up. Excited to see the boys play in the next game!
TCMonkey liked this.
Sep. 8, 2019 at 7:18 p.m.

Itd be nice for Ottawa to get a few smaller guys like abramov (if he develops well).

A couple small wingers paired with brown and white and Tkachuk, who can really help create space. Plus it’s obvious for everyone involved with the sens; Formenton and Batherson are so ****ing exciting to have in your pipeline. Although I believe batherson will be the elite stud Ottawa wants him to be, I really like Formenton, if Tkachuk or white plays Center you could have Formenton- Tkachuk (Or white which is just as exciting)- Batherson; which is a dream line

Bobby Brink would have been a PERFECT fit as a RW compliment for the Tkachuk-White line. Crafty as hell, and can get pucks on net for Brady to gobble up. Hope Ottawa knew what they were doing with Shane Pinto. Time will tell.
Babar, Ccc and Kaifin liked this.
Sep. 8, 2019 at 7:29 p.m.
Quoting: Kaifin
Not a whole lot to say that you guys didn't cover, except maybe my surprise of Aspirot. Brannstrom was absolutely the star of the defence but I really liked Aspirot's game. He threw his body around quite a bit with Kelly and Kastelic, especially with the hit on Evans, and was pretty defensively sound from what I saw. It'll be hard for him to fit in with Ottawa, even in the future, having Chabot, Wolanin and Brannstrom (plus Lajoie if you want) on the left side but I can see him being a decent 7th D to fill out the bottom pairing when injuries rise up. Excited to see the boys play in the next game!

Even if Aspirot is just a depth AHL guy, you still need those to bolster a winning AHL roster. Obviously you want your young prospects to be the key pieces, but you still need your Jack Rodewalds or Erik Burgdoefers. If Aspirot can be that it's a win for Ottawa. After impressing two years in a row, I bet he's earned an AHL deal.

Nick Welsh caught my eye a few times, most notably when he got sprung on the breakaway out of the sin bin. Definitely someone I'd keep an eye on. Could be good depth on Belleville's really weak RD side. That's what you should be looking for out of Invites. It's incredibly rare to get a guy of Parker Kelly's level on an invite.

The Dman who has me intrigued is Max Guennette. Makes a lot of shrewd defensive plays, and had a few smart breakout passes. Hard to expect too much out of a 7th round pick, but he's been noticeable in a good way, which at this stage is all you can hope for.
Babar and Kaifin liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll