SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Columbus Blue Jackets signed Zachary Werenski (3 Years / $5,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 9, 2019 at 4:09 p.m.
Quoting: randint
He'll most likely be traded if they don't reach an extension. That 7mil QO isn't the worst possible thing by far. You seem to be a pessimist. And lol at you claiming CBJ aren't contending this season or likely the next. Give me the lottery numbers please.

what gives you any inkling they will compete this year or next year for that matter? whos playing goalie? you lost your best 2 scorers in panarin and duchene. dzingel didnt even stay. wasted a ton of draft capital. wennberg looked terrible last 2 years. nyquist signing was a good one and the defense is pretty decent but i just dont see whos replacing the goals scored or whos keeping the puck out of the net.
Sep. 9, 2019 at 4:52 p.m.
Quoting: hanson493
what gives you any inkling they will compete this year or next year for that matter? whos playing goalie? you lost your best 2 scorers in panarin and duchene. dzingel didnt even stay. wasted a ton of draft capital. wennberg looked terrible last 2 years. nyquist signing was a good one and the defense is pretty decent but i just dont see whos replacing the goals scored or whos keeping the puck out of the net.

I'm not a CBJ fan as such so it's not "you" in this case. But you seem to be one of those who don't actually know Columbus but suddenly have an opinion about them. First of all, the two best scorers (by PPG) last season were Panarin and Atkinson, not Panarin and Duchene. Dzingel and Duchene were both only ok in the regular season for the Jackets, and whereas Duchene really started playing in the playoffs, Dzingel disappeared completely. Of the five players who scored 40+ points last season only Panarin has left. The only legitimate concern you brought up though is their goalie situation. So technically the only players CBJ really lost this summer were Panarin and Bob because Duchene and Dzingel were nothing but (relatively) expensive rentals to begin with. All the Jackets are missing now are a Panarin replacement (Nyquist isn't that) and a Bob replacement, otherwise the team is pretty much the same. But there are players like Texier and Bemström, both with massive potential, waiting to claim their spot.
Sep. 9, 2019 at 4:52 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
5 million sounds good, he is definitely not the #1 D in Columbus.

McAvoy
Provorov
And yes even Chabot

should be getting more than this.
Brian2016 and oneX liked this.
Sep. 9, 2019 at 5:28 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
The first RFA defenseman domino falls. McAvoy, Provorov, Carlo, DeAngelo, and Pettersson remain.

Honka
Quoting: AwesomeMatthews
and then their were 5

6*
Sep. 9, 2019 at 5:42 p.m.
Quoting: AwesomeMatthews
and then their were 5

Quoting: grodziQ
6*

there*
Sep. 9, 2019 at 6:39 p.m.
Quoting: TheJonSnow
Boston must like this

Bruins and Flyers.
Sep. 9, 2019 at 6:51 p.m.
Torts must be happy. I wonder if what he said last week had any impact on this deal going down? I think an 8 year deal at around $6.5M would've been better for CBJ, but this is fine.
Sep. 9, 2019 at 6:51 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: Brian2016
Bruins and Flyers.

I disagree, they will have to give McAvoy and Provorov more than Werenski got.
Sep. 9, 2019 at 7:02 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster
I disagree, they will have to give McAvoy and Provorov more than Werenski got.

I know, but if Werenski signed for $6M AAV Provorov and McAvoy would've wanted more than that. Werenski's deal probably lowers the AAV for those 2 guys by about 500k AAV.
Sep. 9, 2019 at 7:02 p.m.
habs_fan
can we get some effs in the chat for marner
Sep. 9, 2019 at 7:34 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
If he wanted this much the whole time how did it take this long?
Trickster and oneX liked this.
Sep. 10, 2019 at 1:40 a.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
If he wanted this much the whole time how did it take this long?

Hard to believe he wanted just this much. Looks more like he settled for this instead of letting this drag into training camp ETC.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Sep. 10, 2019 at 9:01 a.m.
Quoting: randint
I'm not a CBJ fan as such so it's not "you" in this case. But you seem to be one of those who don't actually know Columbus but suddenly have an opinion about them. First of all, the two best scorers (by PPG) last season were Panarin and Atkinson, not Panarin and Duchene. Dzingel and Duchene were both only ok in the regular season for the Jackets, and whereas Duchene really started playing in the playoffs, Dzingel disappeared completely. Of the five players who scored 40+ points last season only Panarin has left. The only legitimate concern you brought up though is their goalie situation. So technically the only players CBJ really lost this summer were Panarin and Bob because Duchene and Dzingel were nothing but (relatively) expensive rentals to begin with. All the Jackets are missing now are a Panarin replacement (Nyquist isn't that) and a Bob replacement, otherwise the team is pretty much the same. But there are players like Texier and Bemström, both with massive potential, waiting to claim their spot.

Sorry about the "you" generalization, just force of habit. I know duchene didnt have the best regular season debut. Dzingel was essentially a non-factor but those are 2 young nhl caliber players, the assets columbus gave up to get both duchene and dzingel they should have retained one of them. duchene had a pretty good playoff and was better than atkinson through both series. Im a pretty big atkinson fan, but how much of the production stems from panarin? We are about to find out. Texier and Bemstrom are both highly talked about prospects yes. Texier played in the post season and looked ok. But i dont think they are making up that production that quick. Maybe the team actually plays well and gels together but to the second point, they are likely going to need to score a ton of goals or play serious shut down defense in order to keep the puck out of the net. They do have a deep dcore with jones, werenski, savard, nutivaara etc. but i dont think "shut down" when i hear those names. To be fair, korpisalo could be elite but just had bob blocking him. Yet to be seen. I just think its highly unlikely they are truly competetive for the next 2 years.
Sep. 10, 2019 at 9:52 a.m.
Quoting: pharrow
what are you talking about. He comes out of this a RFA. They still have control. It's a great deal for CBJ. Zack's salary probably took a hit due to inconsistent play, but he's still a damn good young defense man.

The issue with the deal is hes going to get 9 MILL plus if he continues developing, for the next 3 years its an unbelievable contract. the issue is after that 3 years they have jones and werenksi looking like a more expensive version of karllson burns in terms of cap
Sep. 10, 2019 at 10:32 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: glc_0908
The issue with the deal is hes going to get 9 MILL plus if he continues developing, for the next 3 years its an unbelievable contract. the issue is after that 3 years they have jones and werenksi looking like a more expensive version of karllson burns in terms of cap

That is neither here nor there.
If you sign this kid to a long term deal today he either comes out at 30 or in his prime. Then he still makes way more money at the end if they can even sign him.
If you sign him to a long term deal in 3 years, while he's a RFA, you got him till he's 33 and all his prime. So what if it's 9 million. If he's earned it that's good for the team.
It's a smart move. On top of it they treated him fairly, by looking out for him during a huge cap increase in 3 year. Which goes far in the locker room. This team will have cap then, so it doesn't make or break and at the end of the long term deal, it won't be too bad due to cap growth.
Sep. 11, 2019 at 6:46 a.m.
Okay, so this is like the deal that Roman Josi signed at age 23, except this is both team- and player-friendly instead of robbing the player for team benefit. 5M is pretty low for an excellent offensive dman who sucks in his own end, but it's only for 3 years, meaning he can still get paid for his prime.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit