Forums/Armchair-GM

Laine to NY

Created by: sammmy1242
Team: 2019-20 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 10, 2019
Published: Sep. 10, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Would require for 2020: buyout of Boychuk, Greiss to leave for Sorokin who cannot be paid top end $, and Barzal/Toews to sign bridge deals
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$9,000,000
Trades
NYI
  1. Laine, Patrik [RFA Rights]
WPG
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$78,840,833$0$937,500$2,659,167

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Islanders
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 7
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$9,000,000$9,000,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 6
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 5
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,350,000$3,350,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 3
$850,000$850,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 4
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 4
$3,333,333$3,333,333
G
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RD
RFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 10, 2019 at 10:52 a.m.
Swap Leddy for pulock
Sep. 10, 2019 at 11:28 a.m.
Quoting: BCAPP
Swap Leddy for pulock

That’s too much. If you swap leddy for Pulock you take out Wahlstrom.
Sep. 10, 2019 at 11:30 a.m.
Quoting: tsyls
That’s too much. If you swap leddy for Pulock you take out Wahlstrom.

People on this site underrated Laine. He's fourth all time in goals 20 and under. He's third all time in goals 19 and under.
Sep. 10, 2019 at 11:38 a.m.
People on this site underrated Laine. He's fourth all time in goals 20 and under. He's third all time in goals 19 and under.

I’m a jets fan, I don’t undervalue the guy. I know he’s a generational goal scorer, he can put up 30+ goals easy. But I also do see the fact that he is a liability in his own end. He’s coming off of a down year as well. I know that he’s only 21, but I don’t see the drive and work ethic in him that he needs to complete his game. I don’t honestly know if he’ll ever progress to be more than a one dimensional player. Pulock is a stud top pairing dman. He’s easily our #1 RHD. Laine is what NYI hopes wahlstrom will be. Wilde is a good prospect but not amazing. I think that if NYI was to trade for Laine, they have to give up one of Dobson or Pulock. So let’s say they decide to part with pulock. He’s a #1 RHD. He’s still young and only gonna get so much better.

IF a Pulock deal gets put in place, it’s most likely to look like this:

Laine for Pulock + Wilde + 1st
sammmy1242 liked this.
Sep. 10, 2019 at 11:51 a.m.
Swap Leddy for pulock

Pulock is untouchable, so Jets fans can quit dreaming about getting him (or Dobson) for Laine. The trade by the OP is more than enough for Laine, as it equates to 4 1st round picks. Leddy is likely worth a 1st round pick plus another pick, Wahlstrom was a 1st round pick, Wilde was a high 2nd and should have been a 1st and then the 2020 first... If Jets fans don't think 4 1sts is enough for Laine, they need to lay off the crack! lol
Sep. 10, 2019 at 11:56 a.m.
Quoting: Hockeygoalie53
Pulock is untouchable, so Jets fans can quit dreaming about getting him (or Dobson) for Laine. The trade by the OP is more than enough for Laine, as it equates to 4 1st round picks. Leddy is likely worth a 1st round pick plus another pick, Wahlstrom was a 1st round pick, Wilde was a high 2nd and should have been a 1st and then the 2020 first... If Jets fans don't think 4 1sts is enough for Laine, they need to lay off the crack! lol

I'm not a Jets fan

Leddy is not worth a first. You've all been trying to dump him all summer.

A high second is just that.

Also 4 firsts sounds great. It makes people think of getting 4 top 10 picks. But what you're describing is one 5-10 pick and three 25-31 picks.

Laine is worth more than that.

Flip the script would you have excepted that for Tavares in 2012?
masterjuddi liked this.
Sep. 10, 2019 at 12:11 p.m.
I’m a jets fan, I don’t undervalue the guy. I know he’s a generational goal scorer, he can put up 30+ goals easy. But I also do see the fact that he is a liability in his own end. He’s coming off of a down year as well. I know that he’s only 21, but I don’t see the drive and work ethic in him that he needs to complete his game. I don’t honestly know if he’ll ever progress to be more than a one dimensional player. Pulock is a stud top pairing dman. He’s easily our #1 RHD. Laine is what NYI hopes wahlstrom will be. Wilde is a good prospect but not amazing. I think that if NYI was to trade for Laine, they have to give up one of Dobson or Pulock. So let’s say they decide to part with pulock. He’s a #1 RHD. He’s still young and only gonna get so much better.

IF a Pulock deal gets put in place, it’s most likely to look like this:

Laine for Pulock + Wilde + 1st

He's 21...defense can be learned but what he brings on the offensive end is elite. If teams are dealing for Laine, they are paying for potential and he is potentially one of the best pure goal scorers in league history
BCAPP liked this.
Sep. 10, 2019 at 12:18 p.m.
Quoting: masterjuddi
He's 21...defense can be learned but what he brings on the offensive end is elite. If teams are dealing for Laine, they are paying for potential and he is potentially one of the best pure goal scorers in league history

Trust me, he does the hardest thing in the NHL in his sleep. But honestly, I don’t think he has the work ethic. I know people who are close to Jets org and Laine is staying up till 4am after games playing fortnite. I don’t think he has the drive and work ethic to complete his game. I would love for him to develop defensively and be an elite player for WPG. That would be absolutely amazing. But I just worry about him.

I will say, IMO If he’s on the trading block. Teams will he lining up and ready to bid for him. I think jets would get a really good return.

I just don’t think that the islanders would give up Pulock, Wahlstrom and a 1st though. Wahlstrom would have to be swapped for Wilde IMO.
Sep. 10, 2019 at 12:20 p.m.

If NYI isn’t willing to part ways with one of Pulock or Dobson, you’re not getting laine and that’s that.

You guys gotta give up a top prospect or top pairing dman for a guy who can score in his sleep. That’s just the way it works.
Sep. 10, 2019 at 1:29 p.m.
I'm not a Jets fan

Leddy is not worth a first. You've all been trying to dump him all summer.

A high second is just that.

Also 4 firsts sounds great. It makes people think of getting 4 top 10 picks. But what you're describing is one 5-10 pick and three 25-31 picks.

Laine is worth more than that.

Flip the script would you have excepted that for Tavares in 2012?

This is just inaccurate on so many levels. The Isles aren't trying to DUMP Leddy, they are trying to move him to help out our Top 6. Leddy is our most valuable trade asset right now (Being a Top 4 LHD that can skate and put up 40+ points a season) that we also happen to have a replacement in house for (Toews and to a lesser extent, Aho). The Isles don't NEED to move Leddy this year and with Gardiner now off the board Leddy becomes the best LHD that's available. The Isles will be perfectly happy with keeping Leddy for this year and moving him next year if they don't get the ask they are looking for.

IF the trade was 4 1st round picks, then yes I'd agree with you about them not being worth as much if they are 25-31 level as opposed to 1-15 level... but these aren't picks. You'd be getting players in this deal and 3 really good ones at that, plus what will likely be a late round 1st. Wahlstrom and Wilde are both TOP prospects who, potentially, could help WPG this coming season.

Wahlstrom probably won't score 50 goals, but he could be a perennial 35 goal guy, maybe even hitting 40. Wild is projected to be a Top 4 RHD at the NHL level and Leddy is already a Top 4 LHD.. so it's not like you're getting peanuts back here.

And before you go off, right now Laine only scores goals and that's all he's shown he can do at the NHL level. He's also shown an inclination to not want to sign an long term extension in WPG (Based on reports). You're not getting a blue chip prospect OR a #1 Defenseman for that... it's just not happening, sorry to break it to you.
Sep. 10, 2019 at 1:32 p.m.
If NYI isn’t willing to part ways with one of Pulock or Dobson, you’re not getting laine and that’s that.

You guys gotta give up a top prospect or top pairing dman for a guy who can score in his sleep. That’s just the way it works.

Hate to break it to you, but no GM who wants to keep his job, is trading you a Blue Chip Defense prospect OR their #1 Defenseman for a guy who ONLY scores goals. The Isles refused to move Dobson for Mark Stone at the TDL last year who is a much more rounded player, they aren't going to do it now for a one dimensional guy like Laine... that's just the way it works.

AND for the record, in this trade scenario, the Isles are giving up TWO of their TOP prospects in Wilde and Wahlstrom AND giving up a Top pairing D in Leddy... just saying.
sammmy1242 liked this.
Sep. 10, 2019 at 1:37 p.m.
Hate to break it to you, but no GM who wants to keep his job, is trading you a Blue Chip Defense prospect OR their #1 Defenseman for a guy who ONLY scores goals. The Isles refused to move Dobson for Mark Stone at the TDL last year who is a much more rounded player, they aren't going to do it now for a one dimensional guy like Laine... that's just the way it works.

AND for the record, in this trade scenario, the Isles are giving up TWO of their TOP prospects in Wilde and Wahlstrom AND giving up a Top pairing D in Leddy... just saying.

Wilde had a mediocre year last year, it’s his make it or break it year this year.

I do agree that wahlstrom is a top prospect but you gotta realize that laine does the hardest thing in the NHL so easy. Imagine him with a defensive minded coach like trotz?? He’d develop his defensive side of the game so fast. He scored 18 goals in one month, if he develops some consistency and developed his defensive side of the game he could be a perennial 50+ goal scorer and be half decent in his own zone with trotz. If a team wants to trade for laine, they’re gonna have to give up a top prospect and top 4 dman at least. Laines ceiling is so high.
Sep. 10, 2019 at 1:56 p.m.
Wilde had a mediocre year last year, it’s his make it or break it year this year.

I do agree that wahlstrom is a top prospect but you gotta realize that laine does the hardest thing in the NHL so easy. Imagine him with a defensive minded coach like trotz?? He’d develop his defensive side of the game so fast. He scored 18 goals in one month, if he develops some consistency and developed his defensive side of the game he could be a perennial 50+ goal scorer and be half decent in his own zone with trotz. If a team wants to trade for laine, they’re gonna have to give up a top prospect and top 4 dman at least. Laines ceiling is so high.

Wilde had a down year the year in 17-18 (before he was drafted), which is why he slipped to the 2nd round, when most had him going in the Top 15 of the 1st round. He had an excellent year last year in the OHL (70pts) in 62 games in his first year of professional hockey. He's considered, by many, to be the biggest steal of the 2018 draft... so not sure where you are getting that he had a "mediocre" year last year??

As for Laine, I get what you're saying, but Laine has shown NO inclination to learn the D side of his game. Trotz was able to get Ovie to become a more defensive player, so I would argue he can do the same with Laine... IF Laine is willing. You just don't trade a blue chip prospect or a #1 D for someone who, as you put it "if he develops (this) or (that)...".

I want Laine on the Isles and I think he's a piece that could put them over the top, but I'm not sacrificing our D to get him. Pulock became out #1 D-man last year and is on his way to becoming Trouba-esque, I'm not trading him for Laine under any circumstances. Dobson has a real chance to make the Isles this coming season, just a year after being drafted and could be better than Pulock in the long run... Him being on an ELC is something the Isles are going to need as they wait for contracts like Ladd/Boychuk/Etc to expire... again, not trading that for Laine.

The package of Leddy (Top 4 Dman), Wahlstrom and Wilde (2 TOP Prospects) and a 1st is enough. In fact, if I'm being honest, it's almost too much to give up. Leddy, one of Wahlstrom/Wilde, a lesser prospect and a 2020 1st should be enough, imo.
Sep. 10, 2019 at 2:23 p.m.
Wilde had a down year the year in 17-18 (before he was drafted), which is why he slipped to the 2nd round, when most had him going in the Top 15 of the 1st round. He had an excellent year last year in the OHL (70pts) in 62 games in his first year of professional hockey. He's considered, by many, to be the biggest steal of the 2018 draft... so not sure where you are getting that he had a "mediocre" year last year??

As for Laine, I get what you're saying, but Laine has shown NO inclination to learn the D side of his game. Trotz was able to get Ovie to become a more defensive player, so I would argue he can do the same with Laine... IF Laine is willing. You just don't trade a blue chip prospect or a #1 D for someone who, as you put it "if he develops (this) or (that)...".

I want Laine on the Isles and I think he's a piece that could put them over the top, but I'm not sacrificing our D to get him. Pulock became out #1 D-man last year and is on his way to becoming Trouba-esque, I'm not trading him for Laine under any circumstances. Dobson has a real chance to make the Isles this coming season, just a year after being drafted and could be better than Pulock in the long run... Him being on an ELC is something the Isles are going to need as they wait for contracts like Ladd/Boychuk/Etc to expire... again, not trading that for Laine.

The package of Leddy (Top 4 Dman), Wahlstrom and Wilde (2 TOP Prospects) and a 1st is enough. In fact, if I'm being honest, it's almost too much to give up. Leddy, one of Wahlstrom/Wilde, a lesser prospect and a 2020 1st should be enough, imo.

If you’re comparing Pulock to trouba that’s disappointing. I think people are gonna be disappointed with trouba this year. The guy looked so much better because of who he played with. Morrissey really increased his stock.

I’m not a huge fan of the leddy contract and I doubt he’ll resign in WPG. Which is why I’m not a fan of the trade.
Sep. 10, 2019 at 3:27 p.m.
If you’re comparing Pulock to trouba that’s disappointing. I think people are gonna be disappointed with trouba this year. The guy looked so much better because of who he played with. Morrissey really increased his stock.

I’m not a huge fan of the leddy contract and I doubt he’ll resign in WPG. Which is why I’m not a fan of the trade.

I'm comparing Pulock to what Trouba did last year offensively (50pts). I see Pulock taking a big step forward this year again and possibly getting close to the 50pt mark, while being a solid defensive player as well and QB'ing the PP for the Isles.

The Leddy contract isn't bad. He's signed for 3 more seasons (including this year upcoming) at 5.5m... that's a pretty reasonable AAV for a Top 4 guy. You put him on your second pairing and I'd pretty much guarantee he turns back into the 40+ point guy he's been since joining the Isles. Pulock is likely going to cost between 6 and 7m AAV (depending on the year he has) for 8 years. Leddy gives you a 3 year window to win now, while also developing younger LHD to replace him at the end of his deal.... Like the Isles did with Toews and Aho.
tsyls liked this.
Sep. 12, 2019 at 10:40 p.m.
Sam
Edited Sep. 12, 2019 at 10:46 p.m.

As the OP I totally agree with this take hence why I made the trade what I did (2 top prospects, top 4 Dman, 1st rd pick). Also without shedding Leddy’s salary and subbing in a lesser prospect, the isles would probably be over the cap ceiling after extending Laine unless maybe Beauvillier would be included instead. That being said, I would actually trade Pulock for Laine, but only if it was straight up. Otherwise not worth it isles are better off keeping Pulock and making a deal elsewhere.
Hockeygoalie53 liked this.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 8:12 a.m.
Quoting: sammmy1242
As the OP I totally agree with this take hence why I made the trade what I did (2 top prospects, top 4 Dman, 1st rd pick). Also without shedding Leddy’s salary and subbing in a lesser prospect, the isles would probably be over the cap ceiling after extending Laine unless maybe Beauvillier would be included instead. That being said, I would actually trade Pulock for Laine, but only if it was straight up. Otherwise not worth it isles are better off keeping Pulock and making a deal elsewhere.

My comments weren't about your original trade, they were in regards to another poster who was claiming the Isles can't get Laine without giving up one of Dobson/Pulock. You're trade was actually pretty fair. I don't like the idea of giving up Leddy, WIlde and Wahlstrom in the same trade, but it's a trade the Isles could live with and not hurt the team more than it helps. However, I wouldn't, under any circumstances, trade Pulock straight up for Laine. Mainly because Pulock became our #1 last year and is probably our best D at this point. Moving him, without Dobson being a sure thing right now would severely weaken our Right side as we would have no one on that side who could step in next year and take over Pulock's role.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll