SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Winnipeg Jets signed Joshua Morrissey (8 Years / $6,250,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 12, 2019 at 9:49 p.m.
Quoting: arafay
Love it chevy. This is probably the best contract he has done. (Scheifele was fair at the time). Even for now this is a steal, when he hits 50 next year, it will be a bigger steal. Love it. Hats off to JoMo too. He put the team before money in taking a discount

I love the deal, but he's still gotta go out and earn it. This contract is based mostly on expectations, not on results. This is the D version of Keller. It's hard to call it a deal or discount until he averages 50+ points and plays top pair D.
Sep. 12, 2019 at 9:51 p.m.
Quoting: Jarmo
Great contract. He's not wanting money, he just wants to play hockey. Respect.

He just got $50M!!! He doesn't want money??? Tell that to Kevin Labanc.
palhal liked this.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 12:28 a.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
I love the deal, but he's still gotta go out and earn it. This contract is based mostly on expectations, not on results. This is the D version of Keller. It's hard to call it a deal or discount until he averages 50+ points and plays top pair D.

Morrissey got what he is worth right now (probably less). He has been a top pairing guy for over 2 years now. He was on pace for 45+ pts before his injury and was our best d last season. He is already worth more than what he got. He is borderline elite now.
capfriendlyaccount liked this.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 1:30 a.m.
Morrissey got what he is worth right now (probably less). He has been a top pairing guy for over 2 years now. He was on pace for 45+ pts before his injury and was our best d last season. He is already worth more than what he got. He is borderline elite now.

Better than Trouba???
Sep. 13, 2019 at 7:40 a.m.
Jarmo
He just got $50M!!! He doesn't want money??? Tell that to Kevin Labanc.

The Cap is supposed hit $100M in the next 5-7 years. Labanc is only signed for 1 year lol. He is betting on himself to get paid big time on his next contract. lmao. Morrissey is long term and its already team friendly for a top2-4 dman.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 8:11 a.m.
bh34
Quoting: hanson493
I was being serious though? Trouba has been a good defender with tons of upside for years. He will be fine in NY. Idk if the same is said for Morrissey in winnipeg.

Trouba has never been a good defender. Morrissey has been carrying him throughout his whole career
Sep. 13, 2019 at 8:12 a.m.
bh34
Better than Trouba???

Alot better than trouba
Sep. 13, 2019 at 10:18 a.m.
Better than Trouba???

He is better than Trouba imo. Better in his own end (they are both great) and waay more offensive potential.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 10:19 a.m.
Quoting: bh34
Trouba has never been a good defender. Morrissey has been carrying him throughout his whole career

That is wrong. They are both great defenders and Trouba was drafted as a guy that was ready for defence in his own end and hopefully the offence catches up. It has

However JoMo is better imo. Trouba is also great. No one carried anyone, they complimented each other great
Sep. 13, 2019 at 2:48 p.m.
Not bad, for the best defender in Jets 2.0 history.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 2:50 p.m.
bh34
That is wrong. They are both great defenders and Trouba was drafted as a guy that was ready for defence in his own end and hopefully the offence catches up. It has

However JoMo is better imo. Trouba is also great. No one carried anyone, they complimented each other great

It's not wrong. Trouba is horrible defensively and Morrissey picks up the slack. Trouba didnt have a single good defensive year in his career with the jets
Sep. 13, 2019 at 2:53 p.m.
Better than Trouba???

No **** he was better than Trouba. Morrissey is a real defenceman, not a forward. Everybody likes to judge defenders by points. That's not their job, defending is their job.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 4:32 p.m.
Quoting: TheCandoRailfan
No **** he was better than Trouba. Morrissey is a real defenceman, not a forward. Everybody likes to judge defenders by points. That's not their job, defending is their job.

He’s also probably gonna hit 45 plus next year if he stays healthy. He defends great and has the offence.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 4:34 p.m.
It's not wrong. Trouba is horrible defensively and Morrissey picks up the slack. Trouba didnt have a single good defensive year in his career with the jets

If u think Trouba was horrible defensively you clearly don’t want him a lot of games (or well for that matter). Trouba was great in his own zone (just as good as JoMo). He was less mobile and wasn’t as good of a puck mover which makes JoMo better.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 6:16 p.m.
bh34
If u think Trouba was horrible defensively you clearly don’t want him a lot of games (or well for that matter). Trouba was great in his own zone (just as good as JoMo). He was less mobile and wasn’t as good of a puck mover which makes JoMo better.

Yeah time for you to watch some hockey. Trouba looks lost on the defensive side of the puck. May I remind you his defensive breakdown in the playoffs lost the jets a game?
Sep. 13, 2019 at 6:43 p.m.
Low AAV and great term. Can't go wrong
Sep. 13, 2019 at 7:05 p.m.
Yeah time for you to watch some hockey. Trouba looks lost on the defensive side of the puck. May I remind you his defensive breakdown in the playoffs lost the jets a game?

You know scheifele was also part of that problem. So was Connor and every tother jet on the ice at that moment. The fact is that both JoMo and Trouba are premier defencemen in their own end in this league. JoMo is only slightly better as he is more mobile and moves the puck better. The bread and butter of trouba's Game is his defensive play. Offence is just complimentary to it. If you think Trouba is bad in his own end your simply wrong and I can’t argue against that. (Mind you Trouba had better advanced stats than JoMo while they play together almost all the time)

However I think that Trouba has reached his peak and JoMo could be a perennial 60 pt guy if he can prove to be a 1 pp qb
Sep. 13, 2019 at 7:34 p.m.
You know scheifele was also part of that problem. So was Connor and every tother jet on the ice at that moment. The fact is that both JoMo and Trouba are premier defencemen in their own end in this league. JoMo is only slightly better as he is more mobile and moves the puck better. The bread and butter of trouba's Game is his defensive play. Offence is just complimentary to it. If you think Trouba is bad in his own end your simply wrong and I can’t argue against that. (Mind you Trouba had better advanced stats than JoMo while they play together almost all the time)

However I think that Trouba has reached his peak and JoMo could be a perennial 60 pt guy if he can prove to be a 1 pp qb

As a Jets fan, I can tell you, Trouba is a horrible defender.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 8:19 p.m.
Quoting: TheCandoRailfan
As a Jets fan, I can tell you, Trouba is a horrible defender.

I’m a jets fan who watches 82 games a year. Trouba will be sorely missed
Sep. 14, 2019 at 12:50 a.m.
bh34

Nah, sorry bud that one was on Trouba. You clearly havent been watching the right Jacob Trouba. Him and Myers were terrible defensively. Trouba was offensively minded, horrendous in his own end. Terrible breakout passes, horrible pinch decisions. I could argue all day, but I'm not gonna waste time on someone who doesnt watch the jets. If you actually watched them, you would know troubas defensive side needs an incredible amount of work for him to be worth anything his 8m contract
Sep. 14, 2019 at 1:03 a.m.
Edited Sep. 14, 2019 at 1:08 a.m.
Nah, sorry bud that one was on Trouba. You clearly havent been watching the right Jacob Trouba. Him and Myers were terrible defensively. Trouba was offensively minded, horrendous in his own end. Terrible breakout passes, horrible pinch decisions. I could argue all day, but I'm not gonna waste time on someone who doesnt watch the jets. If you actually watched them, you would know troubas defensive side needs an incredible amount of work for him to be worth anything his 8m contract

Myers was bad in our own end. Trouba wasn’t. He was our 2nd best d in our own zone. Without the puck his play was only second to JoMo. He mad waay more good pinches than bad and even JoMo had a lot of bad pinches (usually ended up worse than Trouba since he doesn’t have the skating ability required to get back in a hurry compared to JoMo). It seems like ur taking instances of time instead of recognizing the fact that with JoMo he played on arguably he best shutdown pairing in the league. The duo played against superstarts all season and I’m sorry but JoMo isn’t a god and he can’t handle that much talent on his own. The fact is that Trouba is very good in his own end but he only parts that are really lacking in his game are puck moving ability and mobility which obviously is less since he is big. To say he is a bad defencemen is just false. Ask anyone. I’m not arguing that he is better than JoMo (he isn’t) but Trouba is very good in his own right. Imo he is a fringe #1 d-man and an elite #2. Is he worth 8M? Based on market value no but he was also only a year away from UFA so overpayment was necessary and JoMo also took a discount so he isn’t much of a comp.

I’m done with this argument as your points are straight up false. Every defencemen makes mistakes but you are magnifying trouba’s. I as a jets fan I do not like how he forced his way out but he is a great player. He was a top pairing shutdown guy before this last season (before he broke out offensively). Now he is an elite shutdown guy. He is very good in his own end and that is the bread and butter of his game. Read any scouting report. Just do it. That’s my eveidence.
Sep. 14, 2019 at 2:21 p.m.
bh34
Myers was bad in our own end. Trouba wasn’t. He was our 2nd best d in our own zone. Without the puck his play was only second to JoMo. He mad waay more good pinches than bad and even JoMo had a lot of bad pinches (usually ended up worse than Trouba since he doesn’t have the skating ability required to get back in a hurry compared to JoMo). It seems like ur taking instances of time instead of recognizing the fact that with JoMo he played on arguably he best shutdown pairing in the league. The duo played against superstarts all season and I’m sorry but JoMo isn’t a god and he can’t handle that much talent on his own. The fact is that Trouba is very good in his own end but he only parts that are really lacking in his game are puck moving ability and mobility which obviously is less since he is big. To say he is a bad defencemen is just false. Ask anyone. I’m not arguing that he is better than JoMo (he isn’t) but Trouba is very good in his own right. Imo he is a fringe #1 d-man and an elite #2. Is he worth 8M? Based on market value no but he was also only a year away from UFA so overpayment was necessary and JoMo also took a discount so he isn’t much of a comp.

I’m done with this argument as your points are straight up false. Every defencemen makes mistakes but you are magnifying trouba’s. I as a jets fan I do not like how he forced his way out but he is a great player. He was a top pairing shutdown guy before this last season (before he broke out offensively). Now he is an elite shutdown guy. He is very good in his own end and that is the bread and butter of his game. Read any scouting report. Just do it. That’s my eveidence.

That's alot of typing just for me to not read it. Trouba wasnt a good defender, please watch a game instead of trying to think you know it all
Sep. 14, 2019 at 4:08 p.m.
That's alot of typing just for me to not read it. Trouba wasnt a good defender, please watch a game instead of trying to think you know it all

I can’t argue with false statements. Almost every statistical category says that Trouba is one of he best defencemen in the game (in his own end). Look it up ?

And instead of saying that I should watch a game, how about you watch a game. I’ve only missed a total of approximately 20 games since the jets came back. I know what I’m talking about He was given the most mins for a reason. He plays great defence. And everyone except you for some reason can see it.

I’m done with this argument as I have given you all the fact and you have given me none except for isolated mistakes that Trouba made which are not uncommon for any defencemen. Heck even Hedman makes mistakes.

Don’t bother replying to this as you probably haven’t read this anyway. I put you on my ignore list. Congrats ur the first one
Sep. 14, 2019 at 4:45 p.m.
Quoting: AwesomeMatthews
Wonder how Morrissey will do without Trouba

Wonder how Trouba will do without Morrissey
Sep. 15, 2019 at 12:14 p.m.
AwesomeMatthews
Quoting: MurrayRoster
Wonder how Trouba will do without Morrissey

I like the pairing of Skjei and Trouba personally

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options: