LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C
UFA - 3
$763,333$763,333 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
C, RW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$776,667$776,667 (Performance Bonus$160,000$160K)
C, LW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$10,000,000$10,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,750,000$5,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$675,000$675,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,280,000$5,280,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$1,635,000$1,635,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RD
UFA
$723,333$723,333
G
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
$960,000$960,000
RD
UFA - 1
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
C
RFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 12, 2019 at 3:45 p.m.
Karsenbill
It’s unnecessary. We have heaps of offense minded Dmen coming up with Merkley and Kniazev. We need to see how the first quarter shakes out with new guys first before adding new players anywhere and if we do need to add then it’ll likely be at the forward position.
MJC13 liked this.
Sep. 12, 2019 at 3:49 p.m.
? San Jose Sharks ?
Quoting: Bill_Karsen
It’s unnecessary. We have heaps of offense minded Dmen coming up with Merkley and Kniazev. We need to see how the first quarter shakes out with new guys first before adding new players anywhere and if we do need to add then it’ll likely be at the forward position.

Can never be to stacked lol ask Tampa.

It’s unnecessary but a cheap add and low risk high reward. Obviously we need a forward but there are so many variables rn I have no idea what’s gonna happen, I’m just excited to see the kids play, high hopes for them but it’ll be fun
Eli liked this.
Sep. 12, 2019 at 4:18 p.m.
Who adds what?
Letunov and a 3rd can get you Djoos, who speaks Swedish, and finished last season with seven points in his last 18 games. That's a 31 point pace. Vlasic finished with 25 points last year, and plays well with Burns against tougher competition. Djoos and Karlsson make a great offensively focused second pair, if they don't have to face the other team's best line. Vlassic could probably get Karlsson to +20, but I think Djoos has a better chance to get Karlsson the points lead among defensemen, which tends to be a bigger factor in Norris voting.

Honka has a higher ceiling, on his own, because he's two years younger, but that doesn't help you win a Cup before Thornton retires, it doesn't help you stay in the playoffs after losing two solid UFA forwards, and it doesn't help Karlsson win a Norris trophy. I hope the Caps keep Djoos for another decade, and make him a top pair guy by next year or so, but I also see the salary cap math, I see how they're all in, I see how many minutes the five guys ahead of him played last year, and I think for a 3rd and a prospect, he's probably gone this summer.
Sep. 12, 2019 at 4:46 p.m.
Am I the only one who read "How does Honka sound?" and went like this: "Honnnnka Honnnnnka" mimicking honking a car horn?
Eli and Ccc liked this.
Sep. 12, 2019 at 5:16 p.m.
Quoting: Eli
Letunov and a 3rd can get you Djoos, who speaks Swedish, and finished last season with seven points in his last 18 games. That's a 31 point pace. Vlasic finished with 25 points last year, and plays well with Burns against tougher competition. Djoos and Karlsson make a great offensively focused second pair, if they don't have to face the other team's best line. Vlassic could probably get Karlsson to +20, but I think Djoos has a better chance to get Karlsson the points lead among defensemen, which tends to be a bigger factor in Norris voting.

Honka has a higher ceiling, on his own, because he's two years younger, but that doesn't help you win a Cup before Thornton retires, it doesn't help you stay in the playoffs after losing two solid UFA forwards, and it doesn't help Karlsson win a Norris trophy. I hope the Caps keep Djoos for another decade, and make him a top pair guy by next year or so, but I also see the salary cap math, I see how they're all in, I see how many minutes the five guys ahead of him played last year, and I think for a 3rd and a prospect, he's probably gone this summer.

Djoos isnt worth a 4th with his current salary and ability. I would pay a 5th if he was on league min but hard no right now
Sep. 12, 2019 at 5:23 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: papishark
Djoos isnt worth a 4th with his current salary and ability. I would pay a 5th if he was on league min but hard no right now

I mean.... did you read what you quoted, and not understand it, or just not read it?
Sep. 12, 2019 at 6:11 p.m.
? San Jose Sharks ?
Quoting: F50marco
Am I the only one who read "How does Honka sound?" and went like this: "Honnnnka Honnnnnka" mimicking honking a car horn?

Kinda what the title was going for lol

Why is a honka post being taken so “seriously” lol like I’m not saying honka is at all what the sharks need based on my reply to the first comment
Sep. 12, 2019 at 7:46 p.m.
I mean.... did you read what you quoted, and not understand it, or just not read it?

Yes you spouted some **** about a d man you don’t want and we don’t need. I really can’t take you seriously when you think we would trade Chekhovich or Chmelevski for Djoos
Sep. 12, 2019 at 8:28 p.m.
Who adds what?
Yes you spouted some **** about a d man you don’t want and we don’t need. I really can’t take you seriously when you think we would trade Chekhovich or Chmelevski for Djoos

Chekhovich is a really good prospect, now. https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/333786/ivan-chekhovich

So is Chmelevski! https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/201447/alexander-chmelevski

Do you want to look at Djoos' stats from when he was a kid? https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/33201/christian-djoos

Not bad for a defenseman, eh? It's almost as if we both completely agree that what guys accomplish can be more important than their initial draft position.

So why are you arguing for Honka? Honka topped out at 5 points in 15 games of international play. https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/65456/julius-honka

Djoos at 20 years old got 11 points in 17 games of international junior play. So other than draft position (which is ranked when they're just 18 years old, or so) Djoos looks like he might project a little better than Honka. And hey, what do you know, he's doing better in the NHL, too. smile

Does any of that make sense, or have you just decided to disagree with everything I tell you, even the objective facts?
Sep. 12, 2019 at 8:51 p.m.
Chekhovich is a really good prospect, now. https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/333786/ivan-chekhovich

So is Chmelevski! https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/201447/alexander-chmelevski

Do you want to look at Djoos' stats from when he was a kid? https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/33201/christian-djoos

Not bad for a defenseman, eh? It's almost as if we both completely agree that what guys accomplish can be more important than their initial draft position.

So why are you arguing for Honka? Honka topped out at 5 points in 15 games of international play. https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/65456/julius-honka

Djoos at 20 years old got 11 points in 17 games of international junior play. So other than draft position (which is ranked when they're just 18 years old, or so) Djoos looks like he might project a little better than Honka. And hey, what do you know, he's doing better in the NHL, too. smile

Does any of that make sense, or have you just decided to disagree with everything I tell you, even the objective facts?

You arent objective. I never argued for Honka but the arguement is that he is young and has potential. Djoos has topped out as a solid 6th/7th D man which the sharks do not need at all, especially when he makes what he makes and provides what he provides. Why doesnt washington need him?
Sep. 12, 2019 at 9:09 p.m.
Who adds what?
Edited Sep. 12, 2019 at 9:37 p.m.
You arent objective. I never argued for Honka but the arguement is that he is young and has potential. Djoos has topped out as a solid 6th/7th D man which the sharks do not need at all, especially when he makes what he makes and provides what he provides. Why doesnt washington need him?

No one is objective, but we all try to be, when we are our best selves.

Washington has five guys who played top four roles last year, between three different teams. They brought back their own top pair, in Carlson and Kempny, who can average 26 and 19 minutes They brought back their backup #1 defenseman, in Orlov, who is basically a younger, cheaper, more skilled Vlasic, and is solid at 22 or 23 minutes a night. They added Detroit's #4 defenseman at the deadline, in Jensen (19 minutes). They added Philly's #4 defenseman over the summer, Gudas (19 minutes). Ovechkin plays five minutes a night of left point on the top power play. That adds up to 110 minutes. That leaves 10 minutes a night for Djoos or a different young player to develop, unless they go to overtime. Since Djoos has played up to 18 minutes some nights, averaging just 10 or 12 would be a huge step backwards for his development.

I think Djoos is ready to play a #4 role, and it isn't available in Washington. The Caps also have a really great talent pool at LHD. Their team got ranked 30th in prospect depth by some ESPN writer, this summer, but they beat 8th-ranked Carolina in a prospect tournament game by a score of 10-3, with two of their left defensemen putting up two goals apiece to lead the way--Fehervary and Nardella. They have two other LHD prospects who are recent first round picks. Djoos has a higher ceiling than Honka, but not than Alexeyev, and it's anybody's guess whether he'll stay better than Johansen (edit: because people talk up Johansen's defensive play--offensively, Djoos should be better, but there aren't many stats to measure defense at the AHL level).

But the Caps' forward prospect ranks are not too deep. So they should look to trade DJoos for a good forward prospect, and develop one of their defensive prospects in the tiny ice time available in the NHL this season. Siegenthaler was okay playing a dozen minutes a night last year. Siegenthaler hits a bunch more than Djoos and could be better suited to a #6 role on a pair that won't be relied on for offense. Siegenthaler and Gudas could be a really mean third pair, could kill some penalties together. Djoos needs a chance to score some points.

If you read through Djoos' and Honka's stats, and you think Honka does more to get the Sharks to the playoffs this year, get Honka. If you read through the numbers, and watch a few highlights, and think Djoos is going to push for a top four role sooner, if not immediately, then he might be a better trade target.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 2:55 a.m.
No one is objective, but we all try to be, when we are our best selves.

Washington has five guys who played top four roles last year, between three different teams. They brought back their own top pair, in Carlson and Kempny, who can average 26 and 19 minutes They brought back their backup #1 defenseman, in Orlov, who is basically a younger, cheaper, more skilled Vlasic, and is solid at 22 or 23 minutes a night. They added Detroit's #4 defenseman at the deadline, in Jensen (19 minutes). They added Philly's #4 defenseman over the summer, Gudas (19 minutes). Ovechkin plays five minutes a night of left point on the top power play. That adds up to 110 minutes. That leaves 10 minutes a night for Djoos or a different young player to develop, unless they go to overtime. Since Djoos has played up to 18 minutes some nights, averaging just 10 or 12 would be a huge step backwards for his development.

I think Djoos is ready to play a #4 role, and it isn't available in Washington. The Caps also have a really great talent pool at LHD. Their team got ranked 30th in prospect depth by some ESPN writer, this summer, but they beat 8th-ranked Carolina in a prospect tournament game by a score of 10-3, with two of their left defensemen putting up two goals apiece to lead the way--Fehervary and Nardella. They have two other LHD prospects who are recent first round picks. Djoos has a higher ceiling than Honka, but not than Alexeyev, and it's anybody's guess whether he'll stay better than Johansen (edit: because people talk up Johansen's defensive play--offensively, Djoos should be better, but there aren't many stats to measure defense at the AHL level).

But the Caps' forward prospect ranks are not too deep. So they should look to trade DJoos for a good forward prospect, and develop one of their defensive prospects in the tiny ice time available in the NHL this season. Siegenthaler was okay playing a dozen minutes a night last year. Siegenthaler hits a bunch more than Djoos and could be better suited to a #6 role on a pair that won't be relied on for offense. Siegenthaler and Gudas could be a really mean third pair, could kill some penalties together. Djoos needs a chance to score some points.

If you read through Djoos' and Honka's stats, and you think Honka does more to get the Sharks to the playoffs this year, get Honka. If you read through the numbers, and watch a few highlights, and think Djoos is going to push for a top four role sooner, if not immediately, then he might be a better trade target.

I stopped reading when you said orlov was better than Vlasic? Djoos will never be a top four d and that’s that, he’s 25, you don’t suddenly develop offensive ability at that age like you are suggesting. The sharks have 6 d men better than him and I would argue Ferraro is also better, so that would be a waste of almost any pick or prospects we could give up. I’m sorry Eli your a funny guy but your hockey knowledge is tinted through DC coloured glasses 24/7
Sep. 13, 2019 at 6:01 a.m.
Who adds what?
I stopped reading when you said orlov was better than Vlasic? Djoos will never be a top four d and that’s that, he’s 25, you don’t suddenly develop offensive ability at that age like you are suggesting. The sharks have 6 d men better than him and I would argue Ferraro is also better, so that would be a waste of almost any pick or prospects we could give up. I’m sorry Eli your a funny guy but your hockey knowledge is tinted through DC coloured glasses 24/7

If you're happy being wrong, don't reread. I googled Vlasic highlights and after I scrolled past the soccer player, I found all his goals from a decent season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueyzkSszT_Q

He's pretty good. I like the tap-in. But mostly he's just flinging wrist shots and slappers at the net from open ice, and occasionally getting lucky.

Here's Orlov deking Klingberg, and then switching to backhand to somehow magically flip Benn Bishop over on his back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N79e36P9muU

And speaking of flipping people over, here's O'Reilly doing a full 360 flip, courtesy of Orlov: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt363ojY-zg

Over the last four years, Orlov is 18th among NHL defensemen in even strength points, and Vlasic is only 30th. http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggregate=1&report=skaterpoints&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20152016&seasonTo=20182019&gameType=2&position=D&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evPoints,points

Vlasic has an edge by 0.04 points/60 in that time, so maybe Orlov just plays bigger minutes at even strength, but Vlasic's main defensive partner in the last four years has been Norris trophy winner and bearded hipster Brent Burns, while Orlov's main defensive partner has been Matt Niskanen. So, yeah. Orlov is a bit more skilled. Niskanen is underrated, but he's no Burns.

And then you want to claim Djoos is better than SImec? Here's Simec. 9 career points at 26. Never got half a point a game in the AHL, where he'll be this year: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=163450

Djoos, at 23, got almost a point a game in the AHL, to earn his way up to the NHL, where he has 25 points at age 25: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=152764

No, the Sharks don't have six or seven defensemen better than Djoos. They definitely have three. Dillon also seems better, defensively, but doesn't seem to help Karlsson score like he did in Ottawa, so far. Tim Heed is pretty close, but three years older, and his offensive numbers playing a bit with Karlsson aren't much better than Djoos' numbers playing with Brooks Orpik. If Djoos played with Karlsson, they would each do better.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 10:52 a.m.
If you're happy being wrong, don't reread. I googled Vlasic highlights and after I scrolled past the soccer player, I found all his goals from a decent season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueyzkSszT_Q

He's pretty good. I like the tap-in. But mostly he's just flinging wrist shots and slappers at the net from open ice, and occasionally getting lucky.

Here's Orlov deking Klingberg, and then switching to backhand to somehow magically flip Benn Bishop over on his back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N79e36P9muU

And speaking of flipping people over, here's O'Reilly doing a full 360 flip, courtesy of Orlov: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt363ojY-zg

Over the last four years, Orlov is 18th among NHL defensemen in even strength points, and Vlasic is only 30th. http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggregate=1&report=skaterpoints&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20152016&seasonTo=20182019&gameType=2&position=D&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evPoints,points

Vlasic has an edge by 0.04 points/60 in that time, so maybe Orlov just plays bigger minutes at even strength, but Vlasic's main defensive partner in the last four years has been Norris trophy winner and bearded hipster Brent Burns, while Orlov's main defensive partner has been Matt Niskanen. So, yeah. Orlov is a bit more skilled. Niskanen is underrated, but he's no Burns.

And then you want to claim Djoos is better than SImec? Here's Simec. 9 career points at 26. Never got half a point a game in the AHL, where he'll be this year: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=163450

Djoos, at 23, got almost a point a game in the AHL, to earn his way up to the NHL, where he has 25 points at age 25: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=152764

No, the Sharks don't have six or seven defensemen better than Djoos. They definitely have three. Dillon also seems better, defensively, but doesn't seem to help Karlsson score like he did in Ottawa, so far. Tim Heed is pretty close, but three years older, and his offensive numbers playing a bit with Karlsson aren't much better than Djoos' numbers playing with Brooks Orpik. If Djoos played with Karlsson, they would each do better.

Vlasic isn’t an offensive defensemen. He is extremely well known for being a shutdown defensemen(ie 2019 Colorado series) so im not comparing shooting or passing ability there. Also you don’t know him but Radim Simek is a very skilled 26 year old d who would have put up very similar numbers to Djoos despite being injured most the season. He has amazing chemistry with Burns and will be starting alongside him this season
Sep. 13, 2019 at 10:56 a.m.
Who adds what?
Vlasic isn’t an offensive defensemen. He is extremely well known for being a shutdown defensemen(ie 2019 Colorado series) so im not comparing shooting or passing ability there. Also you don’t know him but Radim Simek is a very skilled 26 year old d who would have put up very similar numbers to Djoos despite being injured most the season. He has amazing chemistry with Burns and will be starting alongside him this season

You wouldn't know it, because you only follow the Sharks, but Orlov and Niskanen were the Caps' shutdown pair for the last three years, and they won the Stanley Cup.

And you're saying Simec's injuries are the reason he didn't outscore Djoos, the year that Djoos played through a broken leg? Great. Got it. Thanks.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll