Forums/Armchair-GM

Why the leafs arent contenders

Created by: KingLundqvist30
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 13, 2019
Published: Sep. 13, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Ok here we go. If your a biased leafs fan, then get off this page. If you come here with an open mind, feel free to stay.

Kyle Dubas:
Kyle Dubas has done something great with team. He has handles stressful situations such as the Tavares sweepstakes, the Great Nylander Holdout, the Matthews contract, and now, the hardest task of all, Paul Marner. But here’s the issue I have. The defense is mediocre at best for the Atlantic. But here’s the problem I have. They. Have. Zero. Depth. Now granted, Dubas made some depth signings this offseason so you may be thinking “what are you talking about?”. What I am talking about is they expect to play a guy like Trevor Moore on the 3rd line. They also want to play Kapanen/Johnsson like they are 1st line wingers. That’s what I never got about the leafs. The real test will be with Marner and his demands. A guy who on any other team could probably field 70-75 points max, produces at over a point a game on a line with one of the top 15 NHL centers. Granted this happens all over (Tampa, Toronto with Nylander, Calgary). Marner is really only worth 7.5-8. But we will see what happens.

The cap:
Here in my opinion is where they messed up. As great of a player that Tavares is, I think it was a mistake to sign him. That money could have gone to depth players. Now, the leafs have a 1st line, half a 1st line, a borderline 4th line, and a 4th line. 11 mil split between 4 players would fulfill those needs. It’s no secret that the leafs are in cap he’ll right now, but instead of having a 5-6 year cup window, they in reality, have 3-4 years of a solid window before they become mediocre.

Conclusion:
Don’t call me a leafs hater or anything like that (I am actually pretty fond of the leafs), this post was published after I did my own research and this is just my opinion. Leave your thoughts and comments down below.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$11,634,000
Trades
TOR
    Whatever team.
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$77,368,833$0$0$4,131,167
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $925,000$925,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $11,634,000$11,634,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $11,634,000$11,634,000
    RW
    UFA - 6
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 4
    $775,000$775,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $775,000$775,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $700,000$700,000
    C, RW
    NTC
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $700,000$700,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1
    $737,500$737,500
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 10:30 a.m.
    You know who weren't real contenders also? The St Louis Blues.

This team is absolutely good enough to beat anyone in the league. But so are teams that finish 8th in the conference..... that's the problem with the analogy of being "contenders".
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 10:30 a.m.
    Banned
    I don't care what anyone says.... You just said everything right! and everything I have been thinking over the past year lol

The difference between a GM and a good GM is that while the GM might make good moves and big moves, the good GM thinks about the future. The issue with signing Tavares is that they knew they had Matthews, Marner, Nylander, among other big name RFAs who were gonna want a lot of money. Signing Tavares is cool and all, but when u mess up your future by taking ALL of that cap space, well it isn't a good move. This isn't hindsight, it was foresight that the leafs GM didn't use
    ChiHawk and KingLundqvist30 liked this.
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 10:32 a.m.
    Banned
    Also thank you! You get it, the key here is to be respectful and nice to people so they have no reason to get mad smile ... Thats what I do, but people just come on here with no respect for anyone frown
    KingLundqvist30 and Maple liked this.
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 10:33 a.m.
    They are contenders if they don't play Boston round 1.... smile
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 10:35 a.m.
    Ive said this multiple times. i agree 100%. IF Marner hold out this team is in serious trouble, and leafs fans dont see it. I keep getting, "there will be plenty of scoring" but you got rid of your entire PK unit, you got rid of one of your only physical players in what was a necessary move but barrie comes over with no term. Toronto has all but rielly hitting fa this year. thats horrible news for toronto and you better hope those kids in the system can play otherwise that "championship window" is really only this year/maybe next year. Its not plausible to spend half your payroll on 4 players.
    ChiHawk and KingLundqvist30 liked this.
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 10:36 a.m.
    Quoting: F50marco

This team is absolutely good enough to beat anyone in the league. But so are teams that finish 8th in the conference..... that's the problem with the analogy of being "contenders".

im salty, but the blues were gifted that run. Refs lost their balls when the sharks vs vegas series was ruined by the 5 minute false major. the worst playoff officiating i have ever seen. zero consistency.
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 10:38 a.m.
    GM Hockeysaurus Rex
    They have big depth. The bottom-6 is so important in later parts of playoffs and they have like 4 bottom-6 lines to work with plus Marlies. Defense is not mediocre. Rielly is top-10 Dman in the league and both Muzzin and Barrie are close to top-20 or in for some people (just outside for me), plus Dermott who is great young player and young guys coming up like Sandin and Liljegren who are both incredibly talented and developing on fast rate. I agree they are not contenders because there are still a lot of development to go but their window is not 4-5yrs, especially with core of Matthews, Nylander, Tavares, Marner and so so so on.. they are deep team, one of the best teams in the league but not contenders yet.
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 10:41 a.m.
    GM Hockeysaurus Rex
    Quoting: bsilk18
    I don't care what anyone says.... You just said everything right! and everything I have been thinking over the past year lol

The difference between a GM and a good GM is that while the GM might make good moves and big moves, the good GM thinks about the future. The issue with signing Tavares is that they knew they had Matthews, Marner, Nylander, among other big name RFAs who were gonna want a lot of money. Signing Tavares is cool and all, but when u mess up your future by taking ALL of that cap space, well it isn't a good move. This isn't hindsight, it was foresight that the leafs GM didn't use

Uhm.. drafting steals in draft, getting future assets for unsigned rookies and getting older players out while promoting your own developed ones is definitely screwing up your future. Capwise we are okay. We can clear cap space to like 15M dollars with three moves (two LTIRs and trading Ceci.).. we are thinking about future..
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 10:44 a.m.
    Quoting: hanson493
    im salty, but the blues were gifted that run. Refs lost their balls when the sharks vs vegas series was ruined by the 5 minute false major. the worst playoff officiating i have ever seen. zero consistency.

I don't think there was Stanley cup where the team that won didn't have either some silly luck or officiating that helped them out or something. As the saying goes, you got to be good to be lucky sometimes.
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 10:45 a.m.
    I am gonna assume that your a Rangers fan given your handle.

So..... if signing Traveres was a long term error (and I tend to agree), then when we look at the Rangers who just signed Panarin.... well, dude. You see the parralel?

Pot calling the kettle black - if my assumption is correct.
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 10:49 a.m.

wrong. the Blues were real contenders. the fluke was not them winning the cup, it was their abysmal start to the season.
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 10:49 a.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: SammyT_51
    Uhm.. drafting steals in draft, getting future assets for unsigned rookies and getting older players out while promoting your own developed ones is definitely screwing up your future. Capwise we are okay. We can clear cap space to like 15M dollars with three moves (two LTIRs and trading Ceci.).. we are thinking about future..

First off, you are what im talking about lol, u came here to fight... You are correct they drafted well, but they are not "okay" in cap space (they are currently AT THE CAP without having Marner signed), and they are not trading away Ceci because they just traded FOR him so that made no sense either... honestly I don't fully understand LTIR, and im sure it could work, but until anything happens, you have to realize that we are right, the leafs left themselves in a crappy cap position. No argument lol
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 10:51 a.m.
    Biased Opinion

Well said
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 10:54 a.m.
    Quoting: Mike_Gartner
    wrong. the Blues were real contenders. the fluke was not them winning the cup, it was their abysmal start to the season.

OK you believe what you want. I guess its to be expected that Vezina calibre goalies come out of nowhere to steal the show and its normal for "contenders' to be the worst team in the league Jan 1st despite it never happening before...... That was all part of the plan... rolling eyes
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 10:56 a.m.
    I don't think there was Stanley cup where the team that won didn't have either some silly luck or officiating that helped them out or something. As the saying goes, you got to be good to be lucky sometimes.

dont get me wrong, if bruins had won, the narrative would have been "well they didnt play any good teams" but i mean just watching the different series and the way some were officiated vs other you could see a major difference.
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 10:58 a.m.
    Quoting: swinny
    I am gonna assume that your a Rangers fan given your handle.

So..... if signing Traveres was a long term error (and I tend to agree), then when we look at the Rangers who just signed Panarin.... well, dude. You see the parralel?

Pot calling the kettle black - if my assumption is correct.

The difference is that with panarin he is their highest earner and only lundqvist and trouba are close (3 different positions not all on offense). They signed tavares at 11m then gave out 18m to matthews and nylander. thats 29m in 3 offensive players. they were betting on marner not hitting above a point per game in a contract year and thats biting them hard right now. they are about to pay close to 40 million in 4 offensive players. and pay 41.5 million to the other 19 players. not exactly great to build depth that way.
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 11:01 a.m.
    dont get me wrong, if bruins had won, the narrative would have been "well they didnt play any good teams" but i mean just watching the different series and the way some were officiated vs other you could see a major difference.

They were bad, don't get me wrong but most years there are a couple egregious calls that end up giving the edge to the opposing teams.
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 11:03 a.m.
    They were bad, don't get me wrong but most years there are a couple egregious calls that end up giving the edge to the opposing teams.

this year was notoriously bad though. like ive seen some bad calls get made and people are human i get it, but this year just seems like every series had multiple bad ones everywhere.
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 11:09 a.m.
    this year was notoriously bad though. like ive seen some bad calls get made and people are human i get it, but this year just seems like every series had multiple bad ones everywhere.

Yeah there were some pretty bad calls.
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 11:17 a.m.
    The difference is that with panarin he is their highest earner and only lundqvist and trouba are close (3 different positions not all on offense). They signed tavares at 11m then gave out 18m to matthews and nylander. thats 29m in 3 offensive players. they were betting on marner not hitting above a point per game in a contract year and thats biting them hard right now. they are about to pay close to 40 million in 4 offensive players. and pay 41.5 million to the other 19 players. not exactly great to build depth that way.

I suspect the Rangers are headed down the same path bud. Longterm thinking.
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 11:23 a.m.
    Quoting: swinny
    I suspect the Rangers are headed down the same path bud. Longterm thinking.

how so? rangers are drafting quality talent now that will be ready to really take over and compete in the next 3 years. in 2 years these cap values come off their books: 8.5 for lundqvist, 5.7 for staal, 4.35 for smith. thats almost 20m in available cap to give their young developing players to build out their depth. if they dont overpay a FA like shatty they will be fine. Next year dead cap wise will be tough but its not like they need to reup anyone thats pivotal to their success. they dont need to rebuild an entire defense or sign a bunch of higher priced rfas. kreider probably gets traded at the deadline for more draft capital. namestnikov walks, strome may or may not resign. but they are in a way way way better situation right now than toronto is (other than contending immediately)
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 11:25 a.m.
    GM Hockeysaurus Rex
    First off, you are what im talking about lol, u came here to fight... You are correct they drafted well, but they are not "okay" in cap space (they are currently AT THE CAP without having Marner signed), and they are not trading away Ceci because they just traded FOR him so that made no sense either... honestly I don't fully understand LTIR, and im sure it could work, but until anything happens, you have to realize that we are right, the leafs left themselves in a crappy cap position. No argument lol

Im not here for fight. Im here to tell people like you what is wrong about your statement. The Leafs left themselves in this situation because they felt like it was important to get top-10 centerman in the league because it raises the quality of this team. We are fine capwise and futurewise.. but not contenders, that I agree on.
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 11:30 a.m.
    Breadman likes Bread

Also thank you! You get it, the key here is to be respectful and nice to people so they have no reason to get mad smile ... Thats what I do, but people just come on here with no respect for anyone frown

Ive said this multiple times. i agree 100%. IF Marner hold out this team is in serious trouble, and leafs fans dont see it. I keep getting, "there will be plenty of scoring" but you got rid of your entire PK unit, you got rid of one of your only physical players in what was a necessary move but barrie comes over with no term. Toronto has all but rielly hitting fa this year. thats horrible news for toronto and you better hope those kids in the system can play otherwise that "championship window" is really only this year/maybe next year. Its not plausible to spend half your payroll on 4 players.

Yea. It’s taken me a decent amount of research. I also did a build on what it would be like if they didn’t sign Tavares.
    Silkysmooth42 liked this.
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 11:31 a.m.
    Breadman likes Bread
    Quoting: SammyT_51
    They have big depth. The bottom-6 is so important in later parts of playoffs and they have like 4 bottom-6 lines to work with plus Marlies. Defense is not mediocre. Rielly is top-10 Dman in the league and both Muzzin and Barrie are close to top-20 or in for some people (just outside for me), plus Dermott who is great young player and young guys coming up like Sandin and Liljegren who are both incredibly talented and developing on fast rate. I agree they are not contenders because there are still a lot of development to go but their window is not 4-5yrs, especially with core of Matthews, Nylander, Tavares, Marner and so so so on.. they are deep team, one of the best teams in the league but not contenders yet.

Their biggest issue right now is cap
    Silkysmooth42 liked this.
    Sep. 13, 2019 at 11:42 a.m.
    GM Hockeysaurus Rex
    Quoting: KingLundqvist30
    Their biggest issue right now is cap

And they made sure that they can fit in Marner as well. I think thats a success.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll