Forums/Armchair-GM

Ideal Cap Dump and Starting Lines

Created by: dougdurant
Team: 2019-20 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 13, 2019
Published: Sep. 13, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Not too all out of reach for the season, although we're probably keeping one of Hickey/Leddy if not both, but i'd like to see Aho take Leddy''s spot as he's a good puck mover that compliments Boychuk and would be fine with bottom pair match ups.

Hopefully Ho Sang impresses at camp and stays in line up but you never know.

Komarov starts with Dal Colle being the 13F but Dal Colle subs in when injuries to bottom 6.

Bailey to third line to spread a little more offense.

Sbisa might get 7D if Hickey was moved, but let's say its this college dude. Dobson maybe gets a look for a few games but hopefully goes to Europe to play with men for this season.

Koivula and Wahlstrom possible get games deeper into season if there's injuries and they're having good seasons in BPT .
Trades
NYI
  1. 2020 4th round pick (OTT)
NYI
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (ANA)
  2. 2021 3rd round pick (ANA)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$70,715,791$0$500,000$10,784,209

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Islanders
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 5
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 7
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 6
$874,125$874,125
RW, C
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 5
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,350,000$3,350,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 4
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 4
$3,333,333$3,333,333
G
UFA - 1
$770,000$770,000 (Performance Bonus$100,000$100K)
LD
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$850,000$850,000
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 13, 2019 at 1:13 p.m.
Isles7
Sbisa will not be 7D - isles are doing him a favor giving him a PTO. Dobson will be into the top 6, trotz basically said it would hurt his development if he went back to junior .
Sep. 13, 2019 at 1:16 p.m.
So dumping Cap on the ducks nets a 2nd and 3rd for Leddy.... NY would need to ask for less if its a "DUMP" And Leddy is LHD... ducks really need RHD
Sep. 13, 2019 at 1:40 p.m.
Clears4
Leo for 3 more years is the real dump
Sep. 13, 2019 at 1:56 p.m.
Quoting: Clears4
Leo for 3 more years is the real dump

Or Ladd.

And Leddy's ability, contract and age..... nets a first. If it doesn't Lou has gone senile.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 2:48 p.m.
i don’t think Leddy is guaranteed to get you a 1st with his regression the past 2 seasons. And sure maybe I used cap dump a bit loose.

I think Dobson is a longshot, hard to see Lou bringing a 19 year old up on a crowded blueline especially if he has to play on his offside. I could see if Aho maybe being 7D and getting a decent amount of games. Boychuks always getting injured.

Leo probably gets dumped after this season. 2 years at 3 mil isnt that bad to even buy out.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 4:16 p.m.
Quoting: dougdurant
i don’t think Leddy is guaranteed to get you a 1st with his regression the past 2 seasons. And sure maybe I used cap dump a bit loose.

I think Dobson is a longshot, hard to see Lou bringing a 19 year old up on a crowded blueline especially if he has to play on his offside. I could see if Aho maybe being 7D and getting a decent amount of games. Boychuks always getting injured.

Leo probably gets dumped after this season. 2 years at 3 mil isnt that bad to even buy out.

Leddy hasn't "regressed" over the last 2 seasons... 2 years ago under Weight, the Isles were an offense first team leaving to high offensive numbers and really bad D numbers team wide. Last season under Trotz, they were D first and offense second resulting in MUCH better Defensive numbers across the board and down offensive numbers across the board. Hence the Isles 2 years ago were the WORST defensive team in the league and last year they were the BEST defensive team in the league.

Leddy follows the same path... 2 years ago his offensive numbers were there (40+ points), but his -42 was atrocious. Last season his offense dropped (26 points) but his plus/minus dropped to 0... I'd hardly say any of this hints at a regression for him. With a year of Trotz' system under them, I expect most Islanders to be more of a middle ground between the offensive year under weight and the defensive year under Trotz.

As for Dobson, both Lou and Trotz have said he has a REAL shot at making the team this season... basically, if the kid shows he can handle himself in the NHL during training camp and the 9 game look he's on the team. He nearly made the team out of camp last year, so unless he really craps the bed in training camp I can't see them sending him back to Juniors. If he was AHL eligible, absolutely, but not juniors.
Sep. 16, 2019 at 9:39 p.m.
Quoting: Hockeygoalie53
Leddy hasn't "regressed" over the last 2 seasons... 2 years ago under Weight, the Isles were an offense first team leaving to high offensive numbers and really bad D numbers team wide. Last season under Trotz, they were D first and offense second resulting in MUCH better Defensive numbers across the board and down offensive numbers across the board. Hence the Isles 2 years ago were the WORST defensive team in the league and last year they were the BEST defensive team in the league.

Leddy follows the same path... 2 years ago his offensive numbers were there (40+ points), but his -42 was atrocious. Last season his offense dropped (26 points) but his plus/minus dropped to 0... I'd hardly say any of this hints at a regression for him. With a year of Trotz' system under them, I expect most Islanders to be more of a middle ground between the offensive year under weight and the defensive year under Trotz.

As for Dobson, both Lou and Trotz have said he has a REAL shot at making the team this season... basically, if the kid shows he can handle himself in the NHL during training camp and the 9 game look he's on the team. He nearly made the team out of camp last year, so unless he really craps the bed in training camp I can't see them sending him back to Juniors. If he was AHL eligible, absolutely, but not juniors.

Yes he has. His corsi numbers at even strength were the worst of any of the isles defensemen. You really think Leddy is the same player as he was the first 2 seasons he played with us? He's definitely still a useful player as a zone entry machine and can put up offensive numbers, maybe playing him on the third pair helps him out a bit. We can either trade him this year or wait until next offseason when we need to shed the cap.

You're also incorrect about Lou speaking on Dobson. "I think what he has to do is simply what he has been doing, just keep growing as a player, keep growing as a person, which I'm extremely impressed with. He's a quality individual. He'll have as good a chance as anybody and will be given every opportunity."

That's not him saying he has a REAL shot. He might get the 9 game look, but why keep him up all year if he won't get a decent amount of games.
Sep. 17, 2019 at 7:50 a.m.
Quoting: dougdurant
Yes he has. His corsi numbers at even strength were the worst of any of the isles defensemen. You really think Leddy is the same player as he was the first 2 seasons he played with us? He's definitely still a useful player as a zone entry machine and can put up offensive numbers, maybe playing him on the third pair helps him out a bit. We can either trade him this year or wait until next offseason when we need to shed the cap.

You're also incorrect about Lou speaking on Dobson. "I think what he has to do is simply what he has been doing, just keep growing as a player, keep growing as a person, which I'm extremely impressed with. He's a quality individual. He'll have as good a chance as anybody and will be given every opportunity."

That's not him saying he has a REAL shot. He might get the 9 game look, but why keep him up all year if he won't get a decent amount of games.

Okay, first on the Dobson thing... you're splitting hairs with semantics man... Lou saying he "has as good a chance as anybody and will be given every opportunity" is the same thing as saying he has a real shot at making the team, it's just different word usage. The Isles aren't going to send him back to Juniors for a 3rd season unless Dobson shows he can't handle the NHL, it's the ONLY way he goes back down. If he could be sent to the AHL that would be a different story, but sending him back to Juniors could hinder his development.

Second, Leddy was never a defensive defenseman, he's always been first and foremost a Offensive D-man. So, the fact that you said he can still be useful for zone entry and putting offensive numbers, yes he's still the same player he has been on the Isles, because he was never meant to be a defensive guy here... that's why he's typically paired with Boychuk. Last season was the first season Leddy was forced to focus on his defense, so his offense took a hit. Having played hockey (goalie) for over 20 years, I would also venture to guess that having to completely change your entire style of play would have a negative impact on some of your numbers/metrics. So, maybe people need to stop using one, what they consider, down season to signal that Leddy is regressing and maybe see if he bounces back this year before writing the guy off.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll