Forums/Armchair-GM

Brisebois must hate Dubas and Ferris

Created by: BCAPP
Team: 2019-20 Tampa Bay Lightning
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 13, 2019
Published: Sep. 13, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Point can and should say pay me more than Marner. I'm a C, I score more goals and I scored more ppg
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$11,400,000
Trades
TBL
  1. 2020 5th round pick (FLA)
TBL
  1. Lehkonen, Artturi
  2. 2020 1st round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
1st is top 10 protected
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$80,823,331$0$1,362,500$676,669
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$5,166,666$5,166,666
C, LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 6
$8,500,000$8,500,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 5
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
UFA - 8
$4,450,000$4,450,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$11,400,000$11,400,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,875,000$7,875,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 7
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$697,500$697,500 (Performance Bonus$147,500$148K)
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RW, RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 13, 2019 at 8:10 p.m.
Banned
Are you insane. No team in the league will
Gave that much for johnson. He add one great season but for the rest he is a 50 point players.
Montreal isn’t interesting in johnson. Not at that price
Sep. 13, 2019 at 8:10 p.m.
Just because Marner was overpayed, doesn’t mean everyone should be overpayed.
bhavikp27 liked this.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 8:12 p.m.
Tspky
Quoting: I_Know_Nothing_About_Hockey_Or_Any_Sport2

Also, don’t forget Florida’s generous state tax.. there is none
V5 ANA and BOG

But it's also a good comparable. If Marner is worth 11, so should Point. Of course, the Lightning have the tax advantage, so maybe they can squeeze 500k-1m, or an extra year, out of Point. But as far as recent comparables go, Matthews and Marner are the 2 closest in my opinion.
BCAPP liked this.
Quoting: Sebybbq
Gave that much for johnson. He add one great season but for the rest he is a 50 point players.

That seemed to be a fairly moderate price to me. A top 10 protected first, a 3rd pairing winger and a meh prospect for Johnson and a second
Sep. 13, 2019 at 8:14 p.m.
V5 ANA and BOG
Quoting: BCAPP
That seemed to be a fairly moderate price to me. A top 10 protected first, a 3rd pairing winger and a meh prospect for Johnson and a second

I think that's a bit much. Maybe without the prospect it makes more sense. Other teams will also have extra leverage, knowing the Lightning need room. If they trade a guy like Johnson/Gourde, it's not going to be max return because they need space and other teams can exploit that to their advantage.
Pharow liked this.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 8:16 p.m.
Banned

Fleury was our best defenseman in laval last year. He is a top ten montreal prospect. Found another partner because montreal isn’t doing that trade. Johnson isn’t a upgrade on any top 6 players in montreal right now. Lehkonen add 16 less point than johnson playing third
Line and being 6 years younger
Sep. 13, 2019 at 8:17 p.m.

So I may be overstating his value, but the flipside is this

In the last 5 years http://hkref.com/tiny/bgoQF he's 58th in the league for points by a forward (side note, he's 2 points ahead of RNH). That is ahead of any Montreal forward (highest is Gallagher at 101st).

There should be roughly 90 first line players in the league (30 teams, 3 first liners).

Johnson is a complimentary first liner or high end second liner.

He is a C who can also play w
Sep. 13, 2019 at 8:18 p.m.
Fleury was our best defenseman in laval last year. He is a top ten montreal prospect. Found another partner because montreal isn’t doing that trade. Johnson isn’t a upgrade on any top 6 players in montreal right now. Lehkonen add 16 less point than johnson playing third
Line and being 6 years younger

I included Fleury because I thought he was a mid tier prospect. If he wasn't I'll just remove him and the second
Sep. 13, 2019 at 8:21 p.m.
Quoting: NR1203
But it's also a good comparable. If Marner is worth 11, so should Point. Of course, the Lightning have the tax advantage, so maybe they can squeeze 500k-1m, or an extra year, out of Point. But as far as recent comparables go, Matthews and Marner are the 2 closest in my opinion.

I prefer Point to Marner, but I don’t see how they’re comparables. They have very different roles. Point is a shutdown center who had extremely good chemistry with Kucherov (and hence his stats are inflated). Marner is an offensive winter who has led his team in points for multiple years in a row. The Leafs also didn’t have the same discount expectations after Matthews and Nylander, and had more cap than the Lightning, who could not fit a $10m contract without making an NTC disappear, but have more of a discount culture and cheaper taxes. I think those factors make them hard to directly compare in value. Point’s team comparable is Stamkos; Marner thought his was Matthews.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 8:23 p.m.
Banned
So I may be overstating his value, but the flipside is this

In the last 5 years http://hkref.com/tiny/bgoQF he's 58th in the league for points by a forward (side note, he's 2 points ahead of RNH). That is ahead of any Montreal forward (highest is Gallagher at 101st).

There should be roughly 90 first line players in the league (30 teams, 3 first liners).

Johnson is a complimentary first liner or high end second liner.

He is a C who can also play w

He WAS! Since
Is 72 point season he haven’t been a top line players. He still have good hockey to gave but look more at a oilers team or arizona. Montreal doesnt need another top 6 wingers. They need a top players. Edmonton on others hand have that primary scoring but after
That its really thought to gets goal. They could
Use help on the second line
Sep. 13, 2019 at 8:26 p.m.
Banned
I prefer Point to Marner, but I don’t see how they’re comparables. They have very different roles. Point is a shutdown center who had extremely good chemistry with Kucherov (and hence his stats are inflated). Marner is an offensive winter who has led his team in points for multiple years in a row. The Leafs also didn’t have the same discount expectations after Matthews and Nylander, and had more cap than the Lightning, who could not fit a $10m contract without making an NTC disappear, but have more of a discount culture and cheaper taxes. I think those factors make them hard to directly compare in value. Point’s team comparable is Stamkos; Marner thought his was Matthews.

Just to let you know marner was use with tavares as shutdown players. He is very affective defensively creating takeaways. So they have more in commun then you think. Sure he doesn’t have the same defensive responsibility but marner isn’t just a offensive player.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 8:29 p.m.
V5 ANA and BOG

I prefer Point too, for sure. The RFA market is a whole lot different this year than any other year past. In no small part thanks to Dubas, RFA's now want top dollar. The "discount culture" in Tampa was thanks to Yzerman being a good negotiator, plus the tax advantages. Point would have signed by now if he bought in to that "culture" and BriseBois would have gotten out of it some other way.

The point is, that Matthews and Marner have changed the landscape of the league, a lot. RFA's now are willing to hold out for their money, if they know they're important enough to the team. They're all going to look for the best comparables, not in role, but in money and pure point production, regardless of team. Point, Rantanen, and the other RFA forwards are all going to use Marner as a comp, like it or not.
BCAPP liked this.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 8:29 p.m.

It's one league. Stamkos' deal is a discount in today's terms. This just made life harder on Brisebois
NR1203 liked this.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 8:38 p.m.
Just to let you know marner was use with tavares as shutdown players. He is very affective defensively creating takeaways. So they have more in commun then you think. Sure he doesn’t have the same defensive responsibility but marner isn’t just a offensive player.

Oh, I didn’t realize that. Still, they’re still not really direct comparables considering they play relatively different roles (Point is more defensive and while he’s extremely offensively talented, Marner is probably more offensively talented, and they have different positions) on different teams in different situations.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 8:40 p.m.
I prefer Point too, for sure. The RFA market is a whole lot different this year than any other year past. In no small part thanks to Dubas, RFA's now want top dollar. The "discount culture" in Tampa was thanks to Yzerman being a good negotiator, plus the tax advantages. Point would have signed by now if he bought in to that "culture" and BriseBois would have gotten out of it some other way.

The point is, that Matthews and Marner have changed the landscape of the league, a lot. RFA's now are willing to hold out for their money, if they know they're important enough to the team. They're all going to look for the best comparables, not in role, but in money and pure point production, regardless of team. Point, Rantanen, and the other RFA forwards are all going to use Marner as a comp, like it or not.

It's one league. Stamkos' deal is a discount in today's terms. This just made life harder on Brisebois

While that’s very possible and markets are interconnected, it’s worth noting that Point and BriseBois have barely talked. We don’t necessarily know that Point isn’t willing to take an insane discount.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 8:42 p.m.
V5 ANA and BOG
While that’s very possible and markets are interconnected, it’s worth noting that Point and BriseBois have barely talked. We don’t necessarily know that Point isn’t willing to take an insane discount.

How would Point and Brisebois not have spoken? Do you mean directly and not through Point's agent? Because it's hard to imagine that a GM wouldn't talk to an RFA or his camp at all throughout the summer. Also, if Point was willing to take a discount, he either would have told his agent or simply bypassed his agent and contacted the GM directly telling him that.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 8:55 p.m.
How would Point and Brisebois not have spoken? Do you mean directly and not through Point's agent? Because it's hard to imagine that a GM wouldn't talk to an RFA or his camp at all throughout the summer. Also, if Point was willing to take a discount, he either would have told his agent or simply bypassed his agent and contacted the GM directly telling him that.

I don’t know. It seemed crazy to me, but that’s what Friedman said and Joe Smith seemed to corroborate. Their most recent offer, according to LeBrun, was $5.7m x 3.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 9:06 p.m.
V5 ANA and BOG
I don’t know. It seemed crazy to me, but that’s what Friedman said and Joe Smith seemed to corroborate. Their most recent offer, according to LeBrun, was $5.7m x 3.

Yeah, and as we all know, that offer is ridiculous.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 9:10 p.m.
Yeah, and as we all know, that offer is ridiculous.

Yeah, but obviously BriseBois is fairly confident that Point is taking a completely crazy discount, or he wouldn’t have pushed the Lightning so far against the cap and then made offers like that one that seem almost insulting. He’s overestimating the discount, probably, but I think he feels that Point’s contract isn’t going to be that close to Marner, and if anyone knows, it’s him.
Sep. 13, 2019 at 9:39 p.m.
V5 ANA and BOG
Yeah, but obviously BriseBois is fairly confident that Point is taking a completely crazy discount, or he wouldn’t have pushed the Lightning so far against the cap and then made offers like that one that seem almost insulting. He’s overestimating the discount, probably, but I think he feels that Point’s contract isn’t going to be that close to Marner, and if anyone knows, it’s him.

Again, how is that certainty there? If Point really was willing to take a discount, he would sign and brisebois would make space around him. Maybe he could get point in the high 9's to low 10's if he's lucky.
Sep. 14, 2019 at 4:48 a.m.
High 9's to low 10's, not going to happen with Point, sorry. JBB knows what Tampa can and will spend and so made a smart offer of 5.7x3 for a bridge. After they negotiate he should come in around 7 aav on a 3 year bridge, maybe a little higher. Despite one inflated season, his overall stats indicate a value of around 7.15 million per year, so something around 7 is reasonable. Brisebois could care less about other teams and their overpaid contracts. Tampa has their internal structure and has been successful in signing their players this way. Point may end up getting paid more than Kuch and Vasy, but not on this contract.
Fatwater liked this.
Sep. 14, 2019 at 4:53 a.m.
The whole League ( except Tkachuk, Point, Rantanen, Laine and Connor ) hate Dubarelli right now. Ferris just jumped the bandwagon that started rolling in January 2019, played badass and won.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll