Preseason

Created by: CFMan
Team: 2019-20 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 7, 2019
Published: Sep. 19, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Pre season notes:
Nylander is good, the skill is there but some things need to get better. His attitude on the ice reminds me of how kane was early in his career basically selfish with the puck. Give him a year in Rockford with other young Swedes and time with Sorenson who is close friends with the Nylanders and that attitude will likely change.

Boqvist is like 5 years ahead of people his age skill wise. Hes a threat whenever hes on the ice but to me he lacks pace in the defensive zone. He made a couple nice defensive plays in the zone but he just glides to the puck instead of skating for it. Once he gets stronger he'll be amazing.

The fight for 7th D is getting intense. Holm is really impressing me and hes got an offensive upside. Koekkoek was playing with different partners every game and never had a chance to establish himself. He's looked decent and is a physical presence the hawks lack. Dahlstrom is pretty frustrating hes huge but timid. He is also the most predictable player of all time. Every time he gets pressured he just backhands along the boards to his defensive partner on the other side. Every. time.

Saarela has been overlooked because of Nylander and Kubaliks performance. He has insane hand eye coordination. He tipped both of his goals in front of the net (one was called back but his stick looked below or at bar level imo) and has a filthy wrister. I hope we dont send him down because he deserves NHL time in at least a top 9 role. I want to see what he can do with toews/kane or strome/cat in a preseason game.

Lucas Carlsson was one underrated player worth mentioning. When he played against the caps he did a good job pinning people to the boards and made some good defensive plays. You didnt hear his name that much, or at least I didnt and thats what you want from a defensive minded player. I think he'll be impressive this year in Rockford.

Quick Notes:
-Hagel will be n the bottom 6 next year guaranteed, probably taking the spot of cagg if we cant resign him.
-Perlini is an enigma, give him so many chances and cant do anything with it then he has 10 seconds of being a star.
-Sikura has stayed the same, he still skates around in circles looking for an opening before shooting and the goalie easily stopping it. Dont really see what Scott Powers sees in him.
-Quennville is hurt, so it sucks not to see him in more preseason games.
-RIP Dach, just because he got a concussion some people will write him off as a bust or injury prone. It would be nice to see him play but Colliton is extra careful with concussions. He'll just go back to Saskatoon.
-Matta looks fine, there was a weak pass that almost turned into a goal last night but he made up for it.
Trades
CHI
  1. 2020 7th round pick (LAK)
CHI
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
3rd to 2nd if perlini gets 50+ points
3rd to 4th if perlini gets less than 30 points
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$67,391,686$0$3,440,000$14,108,314

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,475,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$753,333$753,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
C, LW
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,400,000$1,400,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 3
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
D
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 19, 2019 at 1:27 p.m.
exo2769
I think Kubalik will be a RW. His snipe is a big part of his game and he does that on the right far better than left, much like (although not to the same degree) Panarin and Ovi on the Left. I'd rotate Saarela up to Kubalik...Kubalik to Saad...Saad to Saarela. Overall I do very much agree with the assessment. Good thoughts!
CFMan liked this.
Sep. 19, 2019 at 2:03 p.m.
I really like Kubalik and Saarela. Kubalik is a lock at this point for opening night, but Saarela is probably gonna get overlooked. I wish that weren't the case, but it does kinda highlight the downside of having the amount of players we do. Competition is a good thing granted, but the veterans are getting too much of the benefit of the doubt in my opinion. This is also the case with Boqvist, He absolutely should be on the opening night roster and beyond in my opinion, but there's just no room for him, and on this team the vets always get the tie. As for Dach, concussions are nothing to mess with and he absolutely needs to go back to Saskatoon. He doesn't belong in the NHL, at least not now. I don't care about the kind of hit that injured him, at his age, he needs to learn how to protect himself. Forget injury prone, he's 6'4'' and 200 lbs and got lit up, that's a bad look for a guy who was sold on being a big power forward type player. Not to mention he needs to be aware of the situations he puts himself in (I.e. if you drive the net your gonna get hit). If I were the coaches, I'd tell him to go to juniors, get consistent, more size aware, and learn to actually dominate. It isn't RIP Dach just yet, but this is definitely a very VERY bad look for Bowman and scouting department.
CFMan liked this.
Sep. 19, 2019 at 5:09 p.m.
Number 1 Kahun Fan
Quoting: exo2769
I think Kubalik will be a RW. His snipe is a big part of his game and he does that on the right far better than left, much like (although not to the same degree) Panarin and Ovi on the Left. I'd rotate Saarela up to Kubalik...Kubalik to Saad...Saad to Saarela. Overall I do very much agree with the assessment. Good thoughts!

Those are solid lines as well. I kind of see saad, shaw, kubalik, saarela, and maybe perlini all swapping in and out of those 4 positions.
exo2769 liked this.
Sep. 19, 2019 at 5:20 p.m.
Number 1 Kahun Fan
Quoting: HatterTParty
I really like Kubalik and Saarela. Kubalik is a lock at this point for opening night, but Saarela is probably gonna get overlooked. I wish that weren't the case, but it does kinda highlight the downside of having the amount of players we do. Competition is a good thing granted, but the veterans are getting too much of the benefit of the doubt in my opinion. This is also the case with Boqvist, He absolutely should be on the opening night roster and beyond in my opinion, but there's just no room for him, and on this team the vets always get the tie. As for Dach, concussions are nothing to mess with and he absolutely needs to go back to Saskatoon. He doesn't belong in the NHL, at least not now. I don't care about the kind of hit that injured him, at his age, he needs to learn how to protect himself. Forget injury prone, he's 6'4'' and 200 lbs and got lit up, that's a bad look for a guy who was sold on being a big power forward type player. Not to mention he needs to be aware of the situations he puts himself in (I.e. if you drive the net your gonna get hit). If I were the coaches, I'd tell him to go to juniors, get consistent, more size aware, and learn to actually dominate. It isn't RIP Dach just yet, but this is definitely a very VERY bad look for Bowman and scouting department.

Even though Dach is big and strong it doesnt mean hes any less or more able to protect himself from concussion, everyone has the same hardware to protect their brain. The hit happened behind the net where the kid smashed him into the boards from behind then cross checked him again while he was down. It wasnt a case of recklessness or driving the net on Dachs part it was someone boarding him which isnt allowed and for some reason, not called. Not his fault at all. I think it will look bad on Bowman but its something thats totally out of their control( I.e. some junior level plug doing something dangerous) and is totally unwarranted imo.
Sep. 20, 2019 at 3:30 a.m.
Quoting: CFMan
Even though Dach is big and strong it doesnt mean hes any less or more able to protect himself from concussion, everyone has the same hardware to protect their brain. The hit happened behind the net where the kid smashed him into the boards from behind then cross checked him again while he was down. It wasnt a case of recklessness or driving the net on Dachs part it was someone boarding him which isnt allowed and for some reason, not called. Not his fault at all. I think it will look bad on Bowman but its something thats totally out of their control( I.e. some junior level plug doing something dangerous) and is totally unwarranted imo.

Okay, I had to go back and make sure I watched the hit about 20 times before I responded to you.

First things first, no doubt agree with the part about getting hit when he was down, definitely out of line. Secondly, and this is just an opinion, I would argue it wouldn’t have been boarding if he fell straight down instead of hitting the boards (yes, I know it’s called “boarding” for a reason). That being said, here’s where i differ in opinion. Dach was not hit from behind, as he was passing he turned his body into the oncoming player. The player caught dach the chest/shoulder area. Sure dach wasn’t facing him head on, but it was a far cry from being hit from behind.

I don’t and definitely will not question whether or not he handles concussions differently. He’s a human being and it does mess with him like anyone else. However, What concerns me is how easily he was hit. In all honesty, he looked like a 150 lb. player getting launched into the boards. That was my concern and where I question him. Did dach really believe no one was back checking him??? Is he really that weak that a guy launched him like that into the boards??? The cross check while down is inexcusable, and yes, it probably a boarding call only because he did hit the boards. But he put himself in that position to be hit in such a manner. He was the inexperienced one who couldn’t take a hit. Not in the receiving the hit manner, but rather being strong on your feet and using your 200 lbs to brace yourself. Like I said, did he really think no one was following him?

That’s why I am deeply concerned with his ability to play the physical style he was drafted for. I know I’m being harsh, really I do, and I do apologize. But take away his hands and what is he? Cuz it isn’t a power forward apparently. I don’t have to like that we took him, but I do have to accept it, or pray to god he actually has some trade value down the road.
Sep. 20, 2019 at 3:42 p.m.
Number 1 Kahun Fan
Quoting: HatterTParty
Okay, I had to go back and make sure I watched the hit about 20 times before I responded to you.

First things first, no doubt agree with the part about getting hit when he was down, definitely out of line. Secondly, and this is just an opinion, I would argue it wouldn’t have been boarding if he fell straight down instead of hitting the boards (yes, I know it’s called “boarding” for a reason). That being said, here’s where i differ in opinion. Dach was not hit from behind, as he was passing he turned his body into the oncoming player. The player caught dach the chest/shoulder area. Sure dach wasn’t facing him head on, but it was a far cry from being hit from behind.

I don’t and definitely will not question whether or not he handles concussions differently. He’s a human being and it does mess with him like anyone else. However, What concerns me is how easily he was hit. In all honesty, he looked like a 150 lb. player getting launched into the boards. That was my concern and where I question him. Did dach really believe no one was back checking him??? Is he really that weak that a guy launched him like that into the boards??? The cross check while down is inexcusable, and yes, it probably a boarding call only because he did hit the boards. But he put himself in that position to be hit in such a manner. He was the inexperienced one who couldn’t take a hit. Not in the receiving the hit manner, but rather being strong on your feet and using your 200 lbs to brace yourself. Like I said, did he really think no one was following him?

That’s why I am deeply concerned with his ability to play the physical style he was drafted for. I know I’m being harsh, really I do, and I do apologize. But take away his hands and what is he? Cuz it isn’t a power forward apparently. I don’t have to like that we took him, but I do have to accept it, or pray to god he actually has some trade value down the road.

I agree with you about being worried about the size difference, he was pushed down by one of the pilon brothers (Yes thats their name lol) Both Drake and Darien are listed at 5'10 which is pretty short. While it is a little worrying hes at the start of his professional career and will get bigger and stronger. i think its a little early to have thoughts of trading him now, at least wait a year and see what hes got.
Sep. 21, 2019 at 10:48 p.m.
Edited Sep. 21, 2019 at 10:57 p.m.
Quoting: CFMan
I agree with you about being worried about the size difference, he was pushed down by one of the pilon brothers (Yes thats their name lol) Both Drake and Darien are listed at 5'10 which is pretty short. While it is a little worrying hes at the start of his professional career and will get bigger and stronger. i think its a little early to have thoughts of trading him now, at least wait a year and see what hes got.

All I know is I’m man enough to admit I’m not sold on this kid and this just makes me feel worse, especially when you stack it against how well byram is doing in Colorado. I know there’s not a chance in hell of trading dach and we have to face the prospect of growing him, but it’s even worse that he doesn’t fix a problem we had. I dare anyone to say the words “big body we desperately needed.” That’s all well and good if he actually plays like it. He never has! At least when lindros, getzlaf, and scheifele to an extent were in juniors they used that frame and came to nhl playing as such. This guy can’t take a hit from a guy 6 inches shorter and probably 25 lbs lighter.

I know I’m complaining about the past and coming off unfair, but at this point, he is just now coming back to camp. He has no preseason games under his belt, no contact in camp, and nothing but “3rd overall” to to his name. It’s no longer a case of “he won’t get 9 games” in my mind (and btw, I do believe he will get nine games due to Bowman’s desperation of him working out and playing this year). It’s now a case of him flat out not deserving nine games. He hasn’t done a thing to justify it. He stood out in prospect camp, cool, he had a game and a half of decent hockey and one awful game in the prospect tournament, nice, and he got lit up by a guy who should have bounced off him, yikes. Put him on a plane back to Saskatoon, please! Give up your desperation Stan.

Forgot to mention, if dach got lit up by a kid who will never be an nhler, what happens when Bowen byram lays him out any time we play the Avs?? I only bring it up because a huge knock on Dach has been his lack of drive and effort. So far, those worries seem legit.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll