SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Can Jet fans explain this thinking to me

Team: 2019-20 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 20, 2019
Published: Sep. 20, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I have seen so many Laine trades on here from Jets fans. Why on earth would you sell low on one of the 3 best goal scorers in hockey, so you can keep older guys who's contracts are going to be terrible very soon or are already bad?
Trades
WPG
  1. Bean, Jake
  2. Faulk, Justin
  3. 2020 1st round pick (CAR)
  4. 2020 2nd round pick (CAR)
  5. 2020 3rd round pick (CAR)
CAR
  1. Laine, Patrik [RFA Rights]
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$71,062,500$0$772,500$10,437,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$4,125,000$4,125,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
UFA - 5
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$700,000$700,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$5,291,667$5,291,667
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 6
$2,916,667$2,916,667
C
UFA - 2
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,280,000$2,280,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$741,667$741,667
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,333,333$4,333,333
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$7,600,000$7,600,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 5
$3,150,000$3,150,000
LD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,225,000$1,225,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000 (Performance Bonus$60,000$60K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 20, 2019 at 12:50 p.m.
I agree with you. Laine's value on this site is way off IMO. The guy is elite at 21 and will improve his defensive play. I think a lot of jets fans are just frustrated from this offseason. Losing guys, drama with Buf and Laine speaking out just sucks.
I do like the Carolina deal, but I dont want to see Laine go
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 20, 2019 at 12:51 p.m.
jimmyjets
I don't think many of the trade scenarios are from Jets fans and the ones that are from Jets fans are just trying to show what we may look like if we did trade him.

We'll clearly sign him so it's all just for pretend anyhow.
Ducky10 liked this.
Sep. 20, 2019 at 12:53 p.m.
If I'm Chevy and Carolina is serious about Laine, I'd require Necas as a part of the package and then one of their RD (I'd ask for Pesce, but maybe settle for Hamilton or Faulk). Laine scored 44 goals his first season in the NHL. 44 freaking goals as a rookie. Some of the Laine trades on here are crazy.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 20, 2019 at 12:57 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: masterjuddi
I agree with you. Laine's value on this site is way off IMO. The guy is elite at 21 and will improve his defensive play. I think a lot of jets fans are just frustrated from this offseason. Losing guys, drama with Buf and Laine speaking out just sucks.
I do like the Carolina deal, but I dont want to see Laine go

The point I very unsuccessfully tried to make is that Jet fans seem to not understand where the league is going. Or where their team is at. I look at their roster and their defence is weak, their centre depth is terrible and their salary cap situation isn't good. What they do have though are all the pieces you could want to have a great window of contention. The problem is they have some older guys making too much and they seem to be overly loyal to them over the younger, more highly skilled players.

Buff retires? Good, if not, ask him if he wants to go somewhere else. Trade him, Little and Wheeler, take a year or two step back and then have a longer window with Schiefele et al as the leadership group.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 20, 2019 at 1:04 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: jimmyjets
I don't think many of the trade scenarios are from Jets fans and the ones that are from Jets fans are just trying to show what we may look like if we did trade him.

We'll clearly sign him so it's all just for pretend anyhow.

But why wouldn't the fan base not even think that is an option? I mean, who in their right mind would move a 21 year old so they can make their cap work when they could move a 32 year old (Wheeler) or 34 year old Buff (If he doesn't retire) or Little? If I was Chevy, I'd move out those older players and get future assets. Take a small step backwards and come back younger, faster and stronger.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 20, 2019 at 1:08 p.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
The point I very unsuccessfully tried to make is that Jet fans seem to not understand where the league is going. Or where their team is at. I look at their roster and their defence is weak, their centre depth is terrible and their salary cap situation isn't good. What they do have though are all the pieces you could want to have a great window of contention. The problem is they have some older guys making too much and they seem to be overly loyal to them over the younger, more highly skilled players.

Buff retires? Good, if not, ask him if he wants to go somewhere else. Trade him, Little and Wheeler, take a year or two step back and then have a longer window with Schiefele et al as the leadership group.

First off their C depth isn't terrible. Scheifle is a true #1 and Lowry and Copp are great bottom 6 C's. Little hasnt worked out with Laine, but he is a hell of a hockey player. Character, defensively strong and he is capable of putting up points and consistently puts up 40 plus. Maybe he doesn't fit the 2C role, but he is tremendously valuable
one year ago the jets were picked to win the cup and now you're suggesting blowing it up by trading the vets? I say, if Buf retires, use that cap space to add solid defensive depth and/or a 2C. blowing this up would be premature IMO
Ducky10 liked this.
Sep. 20, 2019 at 1:10 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: TanSor
If I'm Chevy and Carolina is serious about Laine, I'd require Necas as a part of the package and then one of their RD (I'd ask for Pesce, but maybe settle for Hamilton or Faulk). Laine scored 44 goals his first season in the NHL. 44 freaking goals as a rookie. Some of the Laine trades on here are crazy.

That is not correct. He scored 36 as a rookie and 44 in his second year. As for the trades on here, yeah, they are insane more often than not. The main point though is why do Jets fans have no thirst to move older guys but are okay with Laine or Connor being moved?
TanSor and OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 20, 2019 at 1:44 p.m.
jimmyjets
But why wouldn't the fan base not even think that is an option? I mean, who in their right mind would move a 21 year old so they can make their cap work when they could move a 32 year old (Wheeler) or 34 year old Buff (If he doesn't retire) or Little? If I was Chevy, I'd move out those older players and get future assets. Take a small step backwards and come back younger, faster and stronger.

Personally I don't do that because 1) both Wheeler and Little have full No Move clauses so thinking about moving them isn't realistic unless they want to move and 2) Most of the trades involving a winger are to bolster the RD, not become cap compliant. We can easily afford everyone it's just that someone needs to take a bridge deal. Sign Connor at 7 by $7.5 and Laine at 2 by $6.5 with a structure of $5M year 1 and $8M year 2. If we need more cap space we can just suspend Buff and then we don't need to account for his caphit. We're being nice right now and I imagine will continue to be nice as long as we can. I'm sure Buff gets that we either need him playing or his capspace while he isn't.

Knowing our position of strength is Wing and we can't trade Wheeler because of his NMC and that Roslovic and Vesalainen are unproven in the NHL that leaves moving one of Ehlers, Connor or Laine in a hockey trade for a young, controlled top pair RHD. Ehlers has a value contract that we need so really its down to Connor or Laine and all the Rumour sites are saying Laine so that's what people go with.

With how the young D have looked in exhibition so far I wouldn't be making any trades. Lets see what we've got first and if it's bad this year then make a trade for next year. With the expansion draft we may be able to pressure some teams into moving a D. For example the Flyers will want to protect Provy, Sanheim, Myers and Ghost, but they won't be able to protect them all because they need to protect G and Hayes (NMCs) plus Couts, Konecny, Patrick, Voracek, JVR, etc. up front. Plus there are a number of UFAs we could go after too.
Sep. 20, 2019 at 1:48 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Carolina doesn't seem to have the cap for this trade. This is trouble with so many of these Laine trades....what's his new contract, and the post should Laine's new team showing to see if its cap compliant.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 20, 2019 at 1:54 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Whos 2nd?
Sep. 20, 2019 at 2:05 p.m.
Jah1722
I get what you’re saying about the jets taking a step back and retooling and that trading him isn’t the best option. I also don’t think they’ll get full value for Laine because of the contract he wants. It’s hard for teams to take on $10M+ cap hits right now. But it sounds like Laine wants out and if he wants out I’m sure he’ll get out of WPG.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 20, 2019 at 2:37 p.m.
That is not correct. He scored 36 as a rookie and 44 in his second year. As for the trades on here, yeah, they are insane more often than not. The main point though is why do Jets fans have no thirst to move older guys but are okay with Laine or Connor being moved?

Whoops, I totally misread his stats. Still, 36 goals in your rookie year and 44 the next year is a ton of goals. I think the issue isn't that the fans want to move him, it's that it seems like Laine doesn't want to be with the Jets. Why sign a guy that doesn't even want to play on your team? Sure, he's a great young player, but I know I'd rather have somebody on the team I root for that wants to be there. I also think moving guys like Perreault, Little, etc. is a lot easier said than done. The Jets will probably have to pay picks to get rid of them (they're decent players, but not many will want their contracts).
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 20, 2019 at 2:55 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: palhal
Carolina doesn't seem to have the cap for this trade. This is trouble with so many of these Laine trades....what's his new contract, and the post should Laine's new team showing to see if its cap compliant.

That isn't the point, its more about why Jet mans seem to want to trade Laine to keep Little and Wheeler. makes no sense to me
Sep. 23, 2019 at 10:40 a.m.

I dont think you can lump "jets fan" in as one voice. Not all jets fan want to trade Laine and Connor. im a huge jets fan and dont want either of them to do, but I get it if Laine doesn't want to sign or is asking to too much then you might need to move him. Plus this is a site for hypothetical trades...Ive seen numerous posts of McDavid trades but I wouldn't say that Oilers fan want him moved
Sep. 23, 2019 at 11:02 a.m.
Banned
I dont think you can lump "jets fan" in as one voice. Not all jets fan want to trade Laine and Connor. im a huge jets fan and dont want either of them to do, but I get it if Laine doesn't want to sign or is asking to too much then you might need to move him. Plus this is a site for hypothetical trades...Ive seen numerous posts of McDavid trades but I wouldn't say that Oilers fan want him moved

For McDavid trades on here its either fans of other teams hoping the can get him for less than fair value and Edmonton fans asking for better teams Cores for McDavid. In reality, if McDavid is ever traded it'll be at his behest and that will destroy that franchise.

For the Jets and Laine, I keep hearing "he wants too much" like paying him over 7 million is too much. He's legit a generational scoring player who is 21. He's going to get a lot better. Pay him like he's a great goal scorer and put him in positions to maximize his abilities. Like Washington has done with Ovie for ever.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 11:10 a.m.
For McDavid trades on here its either fans of other teams hoping the can get him for less than fair value and Edmonton fans asking for better teams Cores for McDavid. In reality, if McDavid is ever traded it'll be at his behest and that will destroy that franchise.

For the Jets and Laine, I keep hearing "he wants too much" like paying him over 7 million is too much. He's legit a generational scoring player who is 21. He's going to get a lot better. Pay him like he's a great goal scorer and put him in positions to maximize his abilities. Like Washington has done with Ovie for ever.

I agree they should do that, but what's "pay him like he';s a great scorer"? Is that Mitch Marner money? Cause I dont think he's worth that right now. I like him on a 3 year bridge at around a 7 million AAV. In that time Laine can continue to score goals and develop his game
Sep. 23, 2019 at 11:11 a.m.
Banned
I agree they should do that, but what's "pay him like he';s a great scorer"? Is that Mitch Marner money? Cause I dont think he's worth that right now. I like him on a 3 year bridge at around a 7 million AAV. In that time Laine can continue to score goals and develop his game

I think a 2 year 8 million average is what he'll sign for 7 year 1 and 9 year 2.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 11:24 a.m.
I think a 2 year 8 million average is what he'll sign for 7 year 1 and 9 year 2.

From what Ive read an 8 million bridge deal would be unprecedented. When Brock Boeser signed in van for an AAV of 5.8 people were saying that was a lot (for a bridge, not for his value).
If anyone was gonna break the trend of AAV on bridge deals it would be Laine
Sep. 23, 2019 at 12:03 p.m.
Banned
From what Ive read an 8 million bridge deal would be unprecedented. When Brock Boeser signed in van for an AAV of 5.8 people were saying that was a lot (for a bridge, not for his value).
If anyone was gonna break the trend of AAV on bridge deals it would be Laine

Bridge deals are kind of dying. Players I think are worried they will leave money on the table from their prime deals if they give up too much term without a bigger pay day. McDavid and Draisaitl changed the market and now so had Matthews and Marner. It'll continue to evolve and Laine is legit one of the best goal scorers in the game. He should get an unprecedented contract on a bridge.
masterjuddi liked this.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 12:52 p.m.
Isles7
Bridge deals are kind of dying. Players I think are worried they will leave money on the table from their prime deals if they give up too much term without a bigger pay day. McDavid and Draisaitl changed the market and now so had Matthews and Marner. It'll continue to evolve and Laine is legit one of the best goal scorers in the game. He should get an unprecedented contract on a bridge.

This did not age well
Sep. 23, 2019 at 1:33 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Isles777
This did not age well

What's the breakdown on year 3? I am shocked if it's straight under 7 for all 3. I'd wager he has a higher 3rd and can QO his way to FA. His next contract is going to be massive. Or he doesn't care about money. Good for him.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 1:48 p.m.
Isles7
What's the breakdown on year 3? I am shocked if it's straight under 7 for all 3. I'd wager he has a higher 3rd and can QO his way to FA. His next contract is going to be massive. Or he doesn't care about money. Good for him.

His QO is 9 mill. He’s their #1 center , they’ll get him locked up long term just like they did with kucherov. Killorn, Palat, and gourde will all be gone by than.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 1:55 p.m.
Banned
His QO is 9 mill. He’s their #1 center , they’ll get him locked up long term just like they did with kucherov. Killorn, Palat, and gourde will all be gone by than.

I guess there is something to say for teams that just don't have the money to give these guys what they want. Tampa says, "Well I'd love to pay you more but we just can't afford it." Point has to decide stay here or get traded. Not really a 3rd option without moving someone else for essentially nothing.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 1:55 p.m.
Banned

Also, I am not above admitting when I was wrong. We'll see what happens with Rantanen but I am still thinking he's going to get a big long term deal.
Isles777 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll