Forums/Armchair-GM

Tyler Johnson

Created by: Oilyboy
Team: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 22, 2019
Published: Sep. 22, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Assuming Pulju can be signed for about 1million this season and Gagner is sent to the minors unless injuries hit, will save TB about 2 million this season to sign Point to the Marner number he can demand.
Trades
TBL
  1. Gagner, Sam
  2. Puljujärvi, Jesse [Reserve List]
  3. 2020 4th round pick (EDM)
  4. 2021 1st round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$80,333,665$0$1,750,000$1,166,335
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 7
$1,950,000$1,950,000
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW
UFA - 1
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 6
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$2,150,000$2,150,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,300,000$1,300,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
UFA - 4
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000 (Performance Bonus$1,750,000$2M)
G
NTC
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$1,900,000$1,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$741,666$741,666
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,150,000$1,150,000
C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 22, 2019 at 10:26 p.m.
Banned
with a full NTC Johnson just said hell no. Why would he want to leave a tax haven especially to go to a tire fire.
palhal and matulix liked this.
Sep. 22, 2019 at 10:26 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Can't help but feel that there are less significant pieces Tampa could move to afford Point, and if TJ was the piece they needed to move, there's bound to be a better package out there.
Sep. 22, 2019 at 10:30 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
Can't help but feel that there are less significant pieces Tampa could move to afford Point, and if TJ was the piece they needed to move, there's bound to be a better package out there.

any team on TB with a NTC probably took less to play there for the tax break. And hence they aren't letting the team trade them. You are talking about real money out their pocket.
It's a double edge sword when you play that game. You use it to your advantage and ask people to take less, so don't even bother asking for them to waive it in order to pay someone else.
Only way they move cap is on a player with no clauses.
Sep. 22, 2019 at 10:46 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: pharrow
any team on TB with a NTC probably took less to play there for the tax break. And hence they aren't letting the team trade them. You are talking about real money out their pocket.
It's a double edge sword when you play that game. You use it to your advantage and ask people to take less, so don't even bother asking for them to waive it in order to pay someone else.
Only way they move cap is on a player with no clauses.

There's been a lot of literature that shows the state tax difference between Tampa and Toronto (for example) is roughly $15k per $1M. It matters a lot less for any player making over $2M, and it's getting incredibly obnoxious when it's presented as substantial enough evidence by an armchair GM for a player to not waive a NMC/NTC or for a team to free up cap space. Names like Johnson, Killorn, or Palat make enough money that fighting over the sub-100k they'd lose out on by not playing in Tampa is not why they wouldn't waive their NTC. The want to play for another team and uproot their family takes supreme precedence in regards to that decision.

All Tampa would have to do today is assign Rutta to the minors and waive Schenn (assuming Witkowski stays as he can play wing or defence) and they can nearly afford the Marner deal. They're out by a couple hundred thousand dollars. They aren't in a dire situation right now.
Sep. 22, 2019 at 11:23 p.m.
At the end of the Wings game tonight Detroit's the Wing's on air broadcasters and some reporters were talking who had a good draft and they were pretty high on Hollands draft. Just thought I'd share that with the Edmonton fans.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 1:10 a.m.
Banned
There's been a lot of literature that shows the state tax difference between Tampa and Toronto (for example) is roughly $15k per $1M. It matters a lot less for any player making over $2M, and it's getting incredibly obnoxious when it's presented as substantial enough evidence by an armchair GM for a player to not waive a NMC/NTC or for a team to free up cap space. Names like Johnson, Killorn, or Palat make enough money that fighting over the sub-100k they'd lose out on by not playing in Tampa is not why they wouldn't waive their NTC. The want to play for another team and uproot their family takes supreme precedence in regards to that decision.

All Tampa would have to do today is assign Rutta to the minors and waive Schenn (assuming Witkowski stays as he can play wing or defence) and they can nearly afford the Marner deal. They're out by a couple hundred thousand dollars. They aren't in a dire situation right now.

that is absolutely hog wash.
The tax in Toronto is like 50%
In FL it's low 40%.

I don't know where you get this stuff from.

That's why players are willing to take less to play there. But demand the NTC on the contract.
It's also why players live in places like FL so their signing bonus gets taxed their instead of NY or Toronto.
These are facts.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 3:07 a.m.
Ban Price trades
that is absolutely hog wash.
The tax in Toronto is like 50%
In FL it's low 40%.

I don't know where you get this stuff from.

That's why players are willing to take less to play there. But demand the NTC on the contract.
It's also why players live in places like FL so their signing bonus gets taxed their instead of NY or Toronto.
These are facts.

https://theleafsnation.com/2019/06/25/the-supposed-toronto-tax-disadvantage-is-overblown-and-a-waste-of-everyones-time/

https://oilersnation.com/2018/07/10/comparing-nhl-player-contracts-based-on-city/

Your facts are more like opinion pieces but cool, keep believing what you want. I know the example in that article uses Vegas > Tampa, but the lack fo a state tax still applies. Looking directly at a Tampa-Toronto comparison, there's a 14.3% difference in tax rates. My mistake, I missed a zero on the $15k, the total difference on a $1M salary from top bracket to lowest is $150k.

If guys were signing deals with NTCs exclusively to play in areas they could maximize their dollars earned, you'd see more modified NTC deals with places like Vegas, Dallas, and Florida exempt from the NTC. Full NTC deals are signed because a player doesn't want to be flipped to a cold, barren market like Edmonton or Winnipeg as a cap casualty, ESPECIALLY if that player has a family and they have an established place in the community.

Suggesting that some meathead - who's only skill in life is to skate and push a puck up the ice with a length of composite material - is concerned about the variation in tax rates per franchise when said meathead makes north of $5M per year is silly. Agents worry about that stuff, and even then, it's a minimal concern.
CD282 and F3ruS liked this.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 10:05 a.m.
Banned
Zero chance of Tyler Johnson waiving his full NTC for Edmonton, He'd waive for a contender not pretender.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 1:27 p.m.
Go Boltz! & Go Avs!
This year: No chance he is waiving his NTC. Next year = unknown.
Maybe if Edmonton has a good year, and TJ has a bad one. But right now : 0% chance of this happening.

BeterChiarelli: Good stuff. You've got a "Point" there. Just like what we achieved recently with "Point". (6.7 mill $ @ 3 years) Winking with Tongue Out
Sep. 23, 2019 at 4:18 p.m.
Banned
https://theleafsnation.com/2019/06/25/the-supposed-toronto-tax-disadvantage-is-overblown-and-a-waste-of-everyones-time/

https://oilersnation.com/2018/07/10/comparing-nhl-player-contracts-based-on-city/

Your facts are more like opinion pieces but cool, keep believing what you want. I know the example in that article uses Vegas > Tampa, but the lack fo a state tax still applies. Looking directly at a Tampa-Toronto comparison, there's a 14.3% difference in tax rates. My mistake, I missed a zero on the $15k, the total difference on a $1M salary from top bracket to lowest is $150k.

If guys were signing deals with NTCs exclusively to play in areas they could maximize their dollars earned, you'd see more modified NTC deals with places like Vegas, Dallas, and Florida exempt from the NTC. Full NTC deals are signed because a player doesn't want to be flipped to a cold, barren market like Edmonton or Winnipeg as a cap casualty, ESPECIALLY if that player has a family and they have an established place in the community.

Suggesting that some meathead - who's only skill in life is to skate and push a puck up the ice with a length of composite material - is concerned about the variation in tax rates per franchise when said meathead makes north of $5M per year is silly. Agents worry about that stuff, and even then, it's a minimal concern.

dude when you get your tax info from this mess you should just stop.
Please learn where to go for tax information.
Try places like https://www2.deloitte.com and you will clearly see what hog wash you are talking.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 4:22 p.m.
Ban Price trades
dude when you get your tax info from this mess you should just stop.
Please learn where to go for tax information.
Try places like https://www2.deloitte.com and you will clearly see what hog wash you are talking.

Does it make you feel like a better person when you link incorrect and/or overcomplicated sources as opposed to digestible material directly related to the topic at hand?

The Oilersnation article is a direct comparison based on the return on a $9.5M contract. Just because you got made to look like an asshole online doesnt mean you need to keep the act up afterwards ?
Sep. 23, 2019 at 4:29 p.m.
Banned
Does it make you feel like a better person when you link incorrect and/or overcomplicated sources as opposed to digestible material directly related to the topic at hand?

The Oilersnation article is a direct comparison based on the return on a $9.5M contract. Just because you got made to look like an asshole online doesnt mean you need to keep the act up afterwards ?

incorrect?
A leading global tax information firm that is considered a bedrock in the tax industry is incorrect?
"over complicated" yes kid taxes are somewhat complicated.

I mean honestly, please, use credible information. Know what you are talking about before yapping off.
My advice to you is to bookmark that site and read through it, very well. Learn to understand it. Maybe it will help you change the way you look at the world when you finally start to understand how it all works. Because that right there is a gold star tax site. Everyone who knows anything about taxation knows that site and most use it because of the excellent information it provides.
Unlike you I don't get my tax info from some sports journalist who knows piss all about taxation.

If you actually looked at it you would know, TB city pays no city income tax. The state of FL has no income tax, and there is no county income tax in FL.
Which means he only pays a federal tax there at 37%.

Please, please for the love of god, tell anyone in canada about paying only 37% taxes on millions in straight salary.
Go on with that argument so I can just laugh at you.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 4:39 p.m.
Ban Price trades
I'm an asshole

So you're saying that the guy who runs capfriendly is wrong? It's his chart. Do you immediately assume "oh it's a hockey blog, it must be wrong"? Are you suggesting Ryan Lake - a professor or sports law - must be wrong because he was quoted in a sports article?

I dont need the gold standard of taxation websites to see that theres a 14.1% difference in tax rates between Tampa and Toronto. As a fan, I want succinct, digestible knowledge that makes sense in the context it's needed in. Flaunting your epeen because you can read up on taxes better than the next guy is ridiculous. There isnt a damn thing wrong with the links I provided given the context of Tyler Johnson's contract and that the difference literally boils down to less than what he would blow in a good weekend per million dollars.

All you've done is emphasize the fact that you are an ass. Take the tax documents off of your bookmarks bar and go for a walk. Maybe reread the links I provided and follow up on their source material instead of asking people to go digging through your favourite website to find the intricate details you happened to stumble upon once.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 5:48 p.m.
Banned
So you're saying that the guy who runs capfriendly is wrong? It's his chart. Do you immediately assume "oh it's a hockey blog, it must be wrong"? Are you suggesting Ryan Lake - a professor or sports law - must be wrong because he was quoted in a sports article?

I dont need the gold standard of taxation websites to see that theres a 14.1% difference in tax rates between Tampa and Toronto. As a fan, I want succinct, digestible knowledge that makes sense in the context it's needed in. Flaunting your epeen because you can read up on taxes better than the next guy is ridiculous. There isnt a damn thing wrong with the links I provided given the context of Tyler Johnson's contract and that the difference literally boils down to less than what he would blow in a good weekend per million dollars.

All you've done is emphasize the fact that you are an ass. Take the tax documents off of your bookmarks bar and go for a walk. Maybe reread the links I provided and follow up on their source material instead of asking people to go digging through your favourite website to find the intricate details you happened to stumble upon once.

I'm saying anyone with basic reading knowledge of the English language above the 5th grade level, and preschool level match can clearly see people in Canada paying well more than 37% taxes.
But go on......... you keep explaining how they aren't.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 5:51 p.m.
Banned

oh just so you know.
https://www.taxtips.ca/taxrates/ab.htm

Combined Federal & Alberta Tax Brackets and Tax Rates

over $314,928 48.0%

but you know, Clearly 48% is less than 37%.. you know. It's that funny new math.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll