Forums/Armchair-GM

hard times

Created by: itsgilli98
Team: 2019-20 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 23, 2019
Published: Sep. 23, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
just playing around but what do you guys think of this scenario?
Couple of guys on 1 year deal... Even if they sign Laine I think it could be a very good idea to go after someone like Risto. Faulk is good and on a one year deal.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$8,900,000
3$8,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,000,000
Trades
WPG
  1. Ristolainen, Rasmus
  2. 2020 1st round pick (BUF)
BUF
  1. Laine, Patrik
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (WPG)
WPG
  1. Boedker, Mikkel ($1,000,000 retained)
OTT
  1. Perreault, Mathieu
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (WPG)
CAR
  1. 2020 1st round pick (WPG)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$81,500,000$74,299,167$0$272,500$7,200,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$8,900,000$8,900,000
LW
UFA - 7
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
UFA - 5
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$5,291,667$5,291,667
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 6
$700,000$700,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,916,667$2,916,667
C
UFA - 2
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,280,000$2,280,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$741,667$741,667
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,150,000$3,150,000
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RD
UFA - 3
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 5
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,225,000$1,225,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,333,333$4,333,333
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000 (Performance Bonus$60,000$60K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$7,600,000$7,600,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 23, 2019 at 9:08 a.m.
The fact that you have close to a Laine for Risto 1 for 1 deal is stupid. Risto was almost worse in his own end than laine. Try taking off the Jets 2nd rounder, add cozens and a 2nd on buf side. It still doesn’t get accepted by Winnipeg. I hope you realize laine won’t be going anywhere unless the package offered for him is ridiculous and makes wpg say yes.

I hate all these trades.
itsgilli98 and masterjuddi liked this.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 9:17 a.m.
Hurricane Waddell
The ‘Canes think about this, but ultimately pass. I honesty believe they are content with playing out the Faulk scenario to the TDL unless they get a good young player or a package of picks. They’ve shown (Ferland last year) they are ok with using a UFA guy as an internal rental.
itsgilli98 liked this.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 9:19 a.m.
Itagilli98
Quoting: tsyls
The fact that you have close to a Laine for Risto 1 for 1 deal is stupid. Risto was almost worse in his own end than laine. Try taking off the Jets 2nd rounder, add cozens and a 2nd on buf side. It still doesn’t get accepted by Winnipeg. I hope you realize laine won’t be going anywhere unless the package offered for him is ridiculous and makes wpg say yes.

You have to take in the fact that risto is on a very friendly deal..... I Would understand taking out the 2nd from winnipeg but adding Cozens??? Dude If big Buff doesn't come back their defense is veryyyy veryyy weak.... Morrissey did a good job last year but if he becomes d-man #1 without any support he could have a bad year. Don't matter how they get one they need to get a d-man

I hate all these trades.
GMTD liked this.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 9:22 a.m.
Itagilli98
Quoting: Caniac555
The ‘Canes think about this, but ultimately pass. I honesty believe they are content with playing out the Faulk scenario to the TDL unless they get a good young player or a package of picks. They’ve shown (Ferland last year) they are ok with using a UFA guy as an internal rental.

I feel that too but I mean they are veryyy deep at defense. Faulk could end up on the third pairing and with young guys pushing I feel like he could get traded. And a first rounder for Faulk is very good imo
masterjuddi liked this.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 9:23 a.m.
Quoting: itsgilli98

You have to think of it like this:

If wpg makes a stupid laine trade just because Buff is out they might as well just fold as a team. That would be the dumbest trade. It would end up like hall for larsson.

Chevy isn’t an idiot, he has been patient and he’s sure as hell not gonna make some absolutely idiotic trade of of reaction to buff retiring.

If laine Even has a chance to be traded, the package is gonna have to be stupid good and basically force wpg to say yes.
itsgilli98 liked this.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 9:30 a.m.
Hurricane Waddell
I don’t think Faulk on the third pairing is an issue at all. He will eat PK mins and will rotate in on PP2. He will still be in the top 4 in defensive mins even on D3.

I feel that too but I mean they are veryyy deep at defense. Faulk could end up on the third pairing and with young guys pushing I feel like he could get traded. And a first rounder for Faulk is very good imo
itsgilli98 and GMTD liked this.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 10:11 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
I think this discussion is pretty ridiculous, the Jets are potentially losing Buff which would make 4 of their top 6 defensemen from last season gone yet somehow Faulk and Ristolainen are gonna save the day for them??... ?

And yet in this panicked discussion of "they need to fix the defense" there's no thought of what the loss of Laine's goal production would do to the Jets, cause apparently goals are easy to find in the NHL these days.

The Ristolainen and Faulk trades as proposed here are both terrible for the Jets, these are the exact type of trades they should NOT do right now. Better to just go with what you got and see how it goes, maybe pick up someone off waivers or make a low cost trade for veteran depth guy like Scandella for a mid round pick but trading valuable assets for meh defensemen and UFA's is the worst move for the Jets right now, there's always next year and there's good defense prospects in the pipeline, no need to blow the bank for short term help.
masterjuddi, bunzy1034 and tsyls liked this.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 10:12 a.m.
Banned
Laine is worth more then a one dimensional Dman+2020 1st round pick. That's for sure.
masterjuddi and MisstheWhalers liked this.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 10:50 a.m.

I agree. Faulk for a 1st or Faulk for a prospect and a 2nd makes sense for the jets and Canes. Sure the Canes could wait for the TDL, but there is a risk of injury as the risk of losing him for nothing. They are deep at D and should jump on a deal to improve their prospect pool IMO
Sep. 23, 2019 at 10:50 a.m.
Quoting: DiehardRedWingsFan58
Laine is worth more then a one dimensional Dman+2020 1st round pick. That's for sure.

agreed. Probably one of the worst Laine deals Ive seen. Plus Risto sucks right? Nobody can tell me if he does or not
Sep. 23, 2019 at 10:53 a.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
I think this discussion is pretty ridiculous, the Jets are potentially losing Buff which would make 4 of their top 6 defensemen from last season gone yet somehow Faulk and Ristolainen are gonna save the day for them??... ?

And yet in this panicked discussion of "they need to fix the defense" there's no thought of what the loss of Laine's goal production would do to the Jets, cause apparently goals are easy to find in the NHL these days.

The Ristolainen and Faulk trades as proposed here are both terrible for the Jets, these are the exact type of trades they should NOT do right now. Better to just go with what you got and see how it goes, maybe pick up someone off waivers or make a low cost trade for veteran depth guy like Scandella for a mid round pick but trading valuable assets for meh defensemen and UFA's is the worst move for the Jets right now, there's always next year and there's good defense prospects in the pipeline, no need to blow the bank for short term help.

I agree with almost everything you say, but if the jets do lose Buf they dont have anyone to take that spot comfortably. Sure you can see what you have, but I think trading for Faulk makes sense for the right price. Prospect and a 2nd rounder based on him re-upping with the team on a long term deal. Faulk could slide in on the top 2 pairings, play PP and eat up 20 plus minutes.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 10:53 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: masterjuddi
agreed. Probably one of the worst Laine deals Ive seen. Plus Risto sucks right? Nobody can tell me if he does or not

I mean yeah he's a very good offensive Dman, But suck at D probably one of the worst +/- in the league. I myself wouldn't give up much for Risto.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 10:57 a.m.
I mean yeah he's a very good offensive Dman, But suck at D probably one of the worst +/- in the league. I myself wouldn't give up much for Risto.

Maybe the jets could get him, but at a much cheaper price and see what's up with him. Im in favor of players getting a "change of scenery" trade. New system, new city, new coach and teammates...who knows
Sep. 23, 2019 at 11:16 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
I agree with almost everything you say, but if the jets do lose Buf they dont have anyone to take that spot comfortably. Sure you can see what you have, but I think trading for Faulk makes sense for the right price. Prospect and a 2nd rounder based on him re-upping with the team on a long term deal. Faulk could slide in on the top 2 pairings, play PP and eat up 20 plus minutes.

How much is Faulk gonna cost in AAV?? Like the only benefit of Buff retiring is the cap space it frees up, depending on what Faulk he could possibly eat up almost all of that and there needs to be cap space for
Niku, Roslovic and Appleton next summer.

Would really depend on which prospect as well, wouldn't be giving any A-prospects for him, sorry I just don't see the fascination with getting Faulk.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 11:30 a.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
How much is Faulk gonna cost in AAV?? Like the only benefit of Buff retiring is the cap space it frees up, depending on what Faulk he could possibly eat up almost all of that and there needs to be cap space for
Niku, Roslovic and Appleton next summer.

Would really depend on which prospect as well, wouldn't be giving any A-prospects for him, sorry I just don't see the fascination with getting Faulk.

I dont know what Faulk is worth, but you'd be getting a 27 year old dman so lets say a 5 year deal would most likely cost between 6-8 maybe? Jets do need to resign guys next year but Kulikov, Beaulieu and Brossoit will be off the books (probably bring LB back if they can) so that's 6.5 mill in cap space to sign those guys (not including the space their current contract takes up). Plus if the jets needed space they could always ship out Matty P. With one year left on his deal (after this year) he would be easy to move
Sep. 23, 2019 at 4:11 p.m.
Eichel Tower
Actually, Laine for 2 top 4 RHD is not that far off (if the BUF and CAR trades are combined and one presumes the Jets 1st will be among the last 20 and Buffalo's would be a lottery).
The combined Salaries of Faulk and Ristolainen would essentially equal to the projected Laine salary which gives Cheveldayoff cap space to sign Connor.
If Cheveldayoff wants to make the play off he could be very interested to replace Myers, Trouba and Buff.

I hate all these trades.

Quoting: Caniac555

Sep. 23, 2019 at 4:21 p.m.
Quoting: GMTD
Actually, Laine for 2 top 4 RHD is not that far off (if the BUF and CAR trades are combined and one presumes the Jets 1st will be among the last 20 and Buffalo's would be a lottery).
The combined Salaries of Faulk and Ristolainen would essentially equal to the projected Laine salary which gives Cheveldayoff cap space to sign Connor.
If Cheveldayoff wants to make the play off he could be very interested to replace Myers, Trouba and Buff.

No just no, Laine is worth a lot more than this LOL, don't even get @MisstheWhalers started on this. Everyone thinks he's worth jack sh*t but hes worth a lot still and Jets would be so stupid to trade him and in fact make any of these trades and they might as well fold as a team. All of these trades are awful asset management. They need to look towards next year. Just roll with what they have right now.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Sep. 23, 2019 at 4:42 p.m.
Eichel Tower
Edited Sep. 23, 2019 at 4:53 p.m.
No just no, Laine is worth a lot more than this LOL, don't even get @MisstheWhalers started on this. Everyone thinks he's worth jack sh*t but hes worth a lot still and Jets would be so stupid to trade him and in fact make any of these trades and they might as well fold as a team. All of these trades are awful asset management. They need to look towards next year. Just roll with what they have right now.

I do not want to get into a war of words here, I am not disagreeing merely offering a different point of view. None of know what goes into the decision making of GM's, but 2 top 4 RHD is not a terrible return, especially for a team that just lost 2 and maybe a third RHD.
Look at how little Betterall had to give up to get Skinner and Miller, a top 6 forward and a top 4 RHD only cost 2 seconds (does not even up up to a first). JT Miller on the other hand returned a first (why in God's name did Benning help out BriseBois). If Cheveldayoff wants to cut cap and add a couple of RHD he may make these moves, but as you correctly point out that is now how he operates.
I agree 100% that many GM's (my D***A**TimMurray for example) try to rebuild too fast, then others (Kekäläinen for example) see the window closing and go all in. From past experience Cheveldayoff, will not be trading Laine unless the offer is remarkable, but then Murray is not the Sabre's GM any more, so I do not see a trade with the Sabres in the Future.
gretzkyghosts liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll